PDA

View Full Version : WalMart health policy - changing the delivery system?

Fosco33
09-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Ok, many of you know that I work in healthcare - on the business side. So, when you read this, understand that I've long complained of a few simple things with WalMart: their employee benefit package and international trade/import issues.

Well, in the past few years, I noticed that WalMart had begun putting up clinics in their super-mega-gigantic stores for their employees mostly. This seems like an excellent idea for large, retail businesses to adopt. The operational issues could be managed by a separate company/entity w/ expertise in healthcare and insurance.

While this solves some of the problems (routine checkups, shots, basic care, access to care), it misses on the items that really cost the money (surgeries, emergency visits). :crazy:

So, after much debate within WalMart, they've now actually decided roll out a new program that lets part-time workers be eligible for insurance after a year and even their children. I'm not sure of the specifics of their coverage but I'll be interested to find out.

Previously, many part-time (28 hrs/week) and full-time employees were struggling to make the poverty line and often had many children. This puts undue pressure on the state/national health budget as well as hospitals ability to offer ER care. In LA alone, they've closed plenty of ERs in many of the ghettos in the past 5 years.

Of course, we'll see if the average person really notices a difference. A few things will happen for sure though.

State Medicaid expenditures paid through state tax/etc will fall.
Those budgets probably won't.
That money will be spent on other things - which could be good for a number of things. The employees of WalMart will benefit greatly - this is important as one of the largest US/World retail employers.

Will WalMart's prices increase to pay for this new program?

Will the additional cost spent at WalMart be more/less than the previous tax needed to pay for Medicaid budgets?

My take: all the things some people loved about WalMart are slowly modifying in a hybrid way. But the always low prices may just be a thing of the past.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Out of all the companies in Wisconsin, Walmart has the most employees receiving BadgerCare.

Fosco33
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Out of all the companies in Wisconsin, Walmart has the most employees receiving BadgerCare.

That's not surprising. A few states, including WI potentially, will require large companies to provide insurance.

Either way, after a year or sooner, most WalMart employees will have coverage and some will be able to get inhouse clinic treatment at work.

Again - the additional cost will probably be passed to consumers of WalMart while the previous cost of state health programs falls, your wallet will hurt a little regardless.