PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre vs. Roger Clemens

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Do you ever wonder why Brett Favre doesn't get the same respect as Roger Clemens with their retirement indecision. I know Brett's comments about the team lately are a little shady, in my mind, but Brett's always been one to speak his mind, so I didn't expect to change at this point in his career. Roger has also had some interesting comments about the Astros. He's had a courtship with Boston, New York, and the Texas--basically to drive up the value of his final contract.

Uncle Cliffy had a blog on this:

What about Roger Clemens?

How is his situation any different than Brett Favre's? Is Clemens selfish? Taking people for a ride? Looking to make one last financial haul?

My guess is that they're both in the same boat. Both know they can still compete at a high level. Both have the urge to play. Both would like another big pay day. But neither one is ready to make the commitment that goes with playing. And that's what it all boils down to. It's the mental strain, not the physical demands, that force most athletes into retirement.

Rastak
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Do you ever wonder why Brett Favre doesn't get the same respect as Roger Clemens with their retirement indecision. I know Brett's comments about the team lately are a little shady, in my mind, but Brett's always been one to speak his mind, so I didn't expect to change at this point in his career. Roger has also had some interesting comments about the Astros. He's had a courtship with Boston, New York, and the Texas--basically to drive up the value of his final contract.

Uncle Cliffy had a blog on this:

What about Roger Clemens?

How is his situation any different than Brett Favre's? Is Clemens selfish? Taking people for a ride? Looking to make one last financial haul?

My guess is that they're both in the same boat. Both know they can still compete at a high level. Both have the urge to play. Both would like another big pay day. But neither one is ready to make the commitment that goes with playing. And that's what it all boils down to. It's the mental strain, not the physical demands, that force most athletes into retirement.

One is a free agent and one is under contract...totally different situations.
Plus baseball players are total mercenaries, way worse than football players. Favre is the unquestioned team leader who has played almost his whole career in one place while Clemmons dashed off to the highest bidder more than once...including his teams biggest rival.....totally different things...apples to wing nuts.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Clemens didn't have to be a FA. If he had given the Astros an answer, they would have offered him up for arbitration. Clemens is the team leader in that clubhouse. The guy that put them over the hump and finally got them to the World Series for the first time in team history. How is it any different? Favre might as well be a FA. How does Favre having a contract have anything to do with this? A player can retire at any time--whether he is a FA or has 5 years left on his contract.

Harlan Huckleby
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I think Favre would have a hard time hitting the inside corner with his fast ball. Even at his age, you'd have to give the edge to Clemens.

Partial
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I think its a different situation as well.

Clemens is catered to like mad. He doesn't go on road trips or to games when he isn't pitching.

I don't think he is a leader. I think he is a premadonna blessed with a great gift and he is taking advantage of it to make all the money he can. He is incredibly selfish is my mind.

Brett is also being selfish, but in a different way.

FavreChild
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't see what the big deal is with either athlete. Putting your needs ahead of a corporation's needs is wrong? Especially when you can afford to do so?

Now maybe you don't SAY that publicly, but c'mon. Corporations treat employees like commodities pretty much regarless of the industry. Why in the world would I want to put "the company" ahead of "me"?

(I know that as fans we are trained to be "pro corporation," though.)

Guiness
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Yup, no comparison.

RC pitches once every five days. His performance on the mound is a solo one, the only other person he has to be in sync with is the catcher. The infielder don't work out with RC. They work out with a batting practice pitcher.

BF plays every down, and is the linchpin (how d'ya like that fastner reference Whisky?) of every offensive play run. Receivers are a lot better off learning routes with him throwing the ball than some practice squad QB.