PDA

View Full Version : 4 Key Plays that Cost the Packers a Victory

Fosco33
09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Ok, after re-watching the game - here's where the Packers had it and lost it.... This looks a lot like last year's team that couldn't take advantage of situations and missed a few key plays to lose a lot of close games. The Packers had numerous missed opportunities to win this one.

4th and 1 about midfield w/ 1:13 left in the first half. Packers give up the first down and a few plays later a TD to give the Saints the 14-13 lead going into the half. If the Pack had stopped them here, you go in w/ an average lead.

7:49 3rd Quarter; Packers on 1st and goal; Favre gets pressured, steps up and gets hit by a poor block by Tauscher. Favre awkwardly tosses in into the endzone for an INT. Instead of being now 16-14 or 20-14 or 20-7 Packers, it remains 14-13 NO. In a matter of a few plays, the Packers lost 14 net points. Shortly thereafter the Packers gave up a huge pass to Horn for 57 yards. A field goal brings the game to 17-13 NO. In reality, it would've been 20-10 Packers w/ 6 min remaining in the 3rd.

So, we can continue to play would've/should've/could've - didn't. Again, Packers are down 17-13 when Poppinga drops an easy interception. Saints kick another FG and go up 20-13. Now, Packers have lost a net 17 points. Who's to say after this point if the Packer's would've done anything - probably not w/ the previous series. So, say they punt and give NO the ball back at their 20. Either way, the Packers would be up 20-10 instead of down 20-13 - that's 17 points people!

So back to reality, the Packers drive to 1st and goal w/ a great play by Driver. On 3rd down, Ferguson catches a pass to tie the game to start the 4th Quarter. Consider instead of NO getting a field goal that Poppinga catches the INT and the Packers go down and score that same TD. Instead of 20-20, it would've been 27-10. I'd take the Packers up 17 points in the 4th Quarter every time.

I'll give the next big play to the Saints. Brees threw a long pass into the endzone and the rookie WR, Colston, catches it as Collins falls down in coverage. Saints go up 27-20. They cut the net 17 deficit to 10 w/ 8:20 left in the 4th in the would've/didn't stage of Kool-aid fans.

The next obvious key play is Green's fumble at the 20th on the next series. The Packers give up the TD on Deuce's run. Instead the Packers could've taken let's say 4 minutes off the clock and punted. Maybe the Saints score anyways, but there would've been much less time left and still up by 3 points in the would've/didn't land. Instead Pack is down 14!

So, now Favre reacts to this dilemma and starts tossing passes up to Driver and Jennings. The Packers end up with a nice drive. You could say that if Green hadn't fumbled earlier it would be Packers up 10 or 17 w/ 4 minutes left instead of down by 7. It couldn't go any worse for the Packers and their fans.

Ok, back to reality. The Packers are down 7 w/ no timeouts and about 3 minutes remaining to drive 60 yards for a TD. Unfortunately, the Packers had to go for it on 4th and 10 instead of being in a position to punt the ball. Favre's errant pass is incomplete and the 2 min warning has passed.

All the Saints have to do is kneel.

All I want to do is puke.

Recap:

4 major plays, not having timeouts, and being forced to lose it on downs right after the 2 min warning cost the Packers this game.

It's as simple as that.

packers11
09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
My question was they looked like they hurried the last 4 plays to end the game.... THEY HAD another 2 mintues to go......
They should of took time to complete the damn play!
or
They should of ran on first down, go into 2 min warning with gameplan........
Play calling blows my mind away....

Thoughts??

Fosco33
09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
My question was they looked like they hurried the last 4 plays to end the game.... THEY HAD another 2 mintues to go......
or

Thoughts??

That's a tough question that I hope the coaches ask themselves. 3 minutes left, no timeouts, down 7 - you should be in a two-min situation. Throw some outs, call a screen, run a reverse - do something to get a 1st down and get out of bounds; spike the ball and play another down; tie the damn football game and win it in OT.

The play calling was suspect all day and many dropped checkdown passes made the offense look anemic and great at the same time. The lack of consistency and ability to finish the key play will cost this team until it's resolved.

mmmdk
09-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Like Favre said; it's a game the Packers should have won. It's hard to win in the NFL, even harder with a youthful team. You only get so many chances. On paper Packers should've beaten the Saints and on paper the Packers should lose in Detroit...Favre is 5-9 in Detroit (6-9 with playoffs) but ya never know. Smart money is on Lions though.

Fritz
09-22-2006, 12:57 PM
There is no smart money, either way, on this game. I'd give the Lions the edge, simply because their defensive line should manhandle the Packers' offensive line, but then again, the Lions may be short on their o-line, too, so who knows what might happen?

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I would give the Packers the edge against the Wolverines this weekend.

jack's smirking revenge
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I would give the Packers the edge against the Wolverines this weekend.

WOLVERINES!

http://www.geocities.com/wavetank74/red_dawn-yeller.jpg

Guiness
09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Red Dawn - nice, obscure reference~!

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Red Dawn

What a classic! Patrick Swayze and the boys. Hard to believe we lived in a time when that scenario was remotely plausible.

Terry
09-23-2006, 07:09 AM
or

Thoughts??

That's a tough question that I hope the coaches ask themselves. 3 minutes left, no timeouts, down 7 - you should be in a two-min situation. Throw some outs, call a screen, run a reverse - do something to get a 1st down and get out of bounds; spike the ball and play another down; tie the damn football game and win it in OT.

The play calling was suspect all day and many dropped checkdown passes made the offense look anemic and great at the same time. The lack of consistency and ability to finish the key play will cost this team until it's resolved.

Since I can only listen to the games, I'm not sure, aside from not quite remembering, but my impression was that those last four passes were all sideline passes. Is that right? I'm asking because I sort of remember sitting here wondering with that much time left why they didn't go for, say, a couple of crossing slants across the middle. I mean, worst comes to worst, they can hustle up to the line and spike the ball to stop the clock, if they get a first down.

It just struck me that the Saints would be looking for sideline passes.