PDA

View Full Version : Packer related quotes from PFW

motife
09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Perhaps more remarkable than the nine tackles that Lions rookie WLB Ernie Sims recorded in his NFL debut was the fact that he called his effort “average.” We’re told that’s precisely the kind of attitude Rod Marinelli’s new regime is hoping to instill in the Lions’ locker room.

Our Falcons sources compare DT Grady Jackson to NBA legend Dennis Rodman. Rodman could dominate a game without scoring a point, and Jackson can influence a game without making a tackle or recording a sack.

While Lions WR Mike Williams has worked himself into the best shape of his career and has strung a few solid workouts together, he was inactive for a second straight week. We’re told he still needs to prove that he’s willing to put forth the effort on a daily basis.

In his debut, Packers rookie MLB A.J. Hawk failed to impress. Our sources in Green Bay described him as virtually invisible in the Week One loss to Chicago, with the exception of a couple of meaningless blitzes late in the game. We hear that he took on blockers sufficiently at times but got blown up on others. Hawk did contribute seven tackles in Week Two.

The Green Bay trade for RB Vernand Morency was designed to add a third-down pass catcher to the backfield in the mold of former Packer Tony Fisher. Last year’s leading rusher, Samkon Gado, who was shipped to the Texans in the deal, did not offer that skill set. We hear that the Packers are looking for an eventual successor to starter Ahman Green, but Morency doesn’t look like the guy.

Evidently the Packers believe they can sneak troubled WR Koren Robinson onto the field before a potential suspension is handed down from the NFL league office for an alleged third violation of the substance-abuse policy. In a move that our sources in Green Bay characterized as desperation, the Packers signed Robinson to a two-year deal on Sept. 11 — a day after their 26-0 drubbing at the hands of the Bears — and immediately listed him atop the depth chart in the return game for Week Two. In his debut as a Packer, Robinson racked up 73 yards on four kickoff returns. We’re told the Packers also believe his familiarity with the West Coast offense will allow him to be available out wide as soon as Week Three. Of course, Robinson still has plenty of off-the-field concerns to address. The former Seahawk is due in a suburban Seattle court on Oct. 4 to determine whether his Aug. 15 drunken-driving arrest in Minnesota represented a violation of his probation from a June 2005 DUI charge. Two weeks later, he is set to appear in a Minnesota court to face six criminal counts, one of them a felony for fleeing police.

The Packers need to find a way to work in more nickel and dime packages and remove Buck LB Brady Poppinga in passing situations. For the second consecutive week, he was easily beat in coverage. Last week, the Bears’ tight ends easily separated from him. This week, he was aligned in the slot on Joe Horn. The Packers are challenged enough with a young roster featuring 14 rookies. As long as they continue fielding unfavorable matchups, they will get beat.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Despite hiring Mike Sherman to head the Texans’ offensive line, Houston still allowed five sacks in their season-opening loss to the Eagles. The new offense better allowed David Carr to move outside the pocket and take advantage of his athleticism, and he looked noticeably more comfortable. But protection must continue to improve for the offense to ignite.

Being shut out for the first time in 222 career starts was probably not the way Brett Favre envisioned kicking off his 16th season. Although his young offensive line is partially to blame, Favre’s gunslinging ways and careless decision-making late in the game were just as much to blame for two late interceptions. Mike McCarthy could be stuck in a difficult situation at some point soon, trying to find balance between a legendary quarterback who will not respond well to being benched and getting the franchise’s quarterback of the future the experience he needs to mature.

Week Two PFW Players of the Week
PK Ryan Longwell
Minnesota Vikings
You can bet Longwell competed in one of those Punt, Pass and Kick competitions as a kid. He did two of the three, kicking three field goals (including the game-winner in OT) and tied the game in the fourth quarter with a 16-yard TD pass on a fake field goal.

http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/images/deportes/mas/2006/09/110906_Longwell3.jpg

Mazzin
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Shit, I've liked Hawk so far...and he is our MIDDLE linebacker? I never noticed I guess they changed his jersey number to 56, up from 55! :crazy:

After reading that, i dont put NOTHING into these statements...just my opinion.

The Shadow
09-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro Football Weekly is headed up by Hub Arkush, a longtime Packer hater and one-time Bear jock-sniffer (until the Bears canned him from their radio broadcasts.
He is an alltime tool, and the comments in his rag (which all bear his greasy thumbprints) are never to be taken very seriously.

Noodle
09-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Interesting note about Grady Jackson. I checked around, and they're loving him in Atlanta. I think Pickett is fine and all, but I'm not sure I understand why we didn't try to keep Grady here. You can never have too many quality DEs who can take up two blockers.

But hey, I bet we saved some cap space. Do they hand out a trophy for that at the end of the year?

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Interesting note about Grady Jackson. I checked around, and they're loving him in Atlanta. I think Pickett is fine and all, but I'm not sure I understand why we didn't try to keep Grady here.

He was really overweight and his knees were bad, didn't pass a couple physicals last spring with other teams. Team is rebuilding.

It's not an exact science, not every decision will work out.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
But hey, I bet we saved some cap space. Do they hand out a trophy for that at the end of the year?

His replacement cost us roughly 4 times what Grady cost ATL. I'm not sure how you figure we saved any cap space.

KYPack
09-22-2006, 08:33 AM
That puzzled me too.

Thompson couldn't get rid of Grady fast enough. Yet he had to pay big $ to get Pickett. Pickett is OK, but Grady gives you a bigger push into the backfield. What was the big benefit of getting rid of 'ol Grady?

Pack0514
09-22-2006, 08:36 AM
What was the big benefit of getting rid of 'ol Grady?

Grady was a Sherman pick up and Pickett is a TT acquisition. I think the ability to stay healthy was a big part of it also. That being said, I loved Grady.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:40 AM
What was the big benefit of getting rid of 'ol Grady?

Grady was a Sherman pick up and Pickett is a TT acquisition. I think the ability to stay healthy was a big part of it also. That being said, I loved Grady.

I thought the defense played better when Grady was in there. But he's a lot older than Pickett, and his ridiculous problems with weight make him more of an injury risk. He was always griping about his pay too. No matter how you slice it, he needed to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Pickett is OK, but Grady gives you a bigger push into the backfield. What was the big benefit of getting rid of 'ol Grady?

If Grady was out of the NFL, or injured right now, you wouldn't be asking this question, wouldya, wise guy.

Thompson made a decision based on Grady's belly, age and espcially knees that he was a poor choose for a roster spot. Almost every other NFL team passed on Grady too, undoubtably for the same reasons.

Just because a decision proves wrong in hindsight doesn't mean it was a foolish choice.

KYPack
09-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Pickett is OK, but Grady gives you a bigger push into the backfield. What was the big benefit of getting rid of 'ol Grady?

If Grady was out of the NFL, or injured right now, you wouldn't be asking this question, wouldya, wise guy.
Just because a decision proves wrong in hindsight doesn't mean it was a foolish choice.

Calm yer ass down, Harlan.

I've made as many accurate guesses as anybody including you.

There was no need for the snotty reply, regardless.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 02:48 PM
i didn't mean it. just trying to get you going.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I've made as many accurate guesses as anybody including you.

I predict Grady will split his pants playing against the Saints on Monday night.

KYPack
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
i didn't mean it. just trying to get you going.

I bit.

You are 1 up in our life time interpersonal combat match.

FritzDontBlitz
09-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro Football Weekly is headed up by Hub Arkush, a longtime Packer hater and one-time Bear jock-sniffer (until the Bears canned him from their radio broadcasts.
He is an alltime tool, and the comments in his rag (which all bear his greasy thumbprints) are never to be taken very seriously.

correctamundo. arkush was seriously in bed with the bears until he went on some embarrassing tirade or something in support of dick jauron who was coaching the bears to another losing season at the time.

Terry
09-23-2006, 08:00 AM
"In a move that our sources in Green Bay characterized as desperation..."

Man, excuse my language, but it never ceases to amaze me how full of shit members of the human race can be!

I agree about Grady. I was sorry we didn't keep him around. He was inexpensive, it was low risk. I liked him too. I didn't care about the bitching about money - he had a great attitude when he was on the field.

Noodle
09-23-2006, 12:00 PM

His replacement cost us roughly 4 times what Grady cost ATL. I'm not sure how you figure we saved any cap space.

Good point. Now I'm depressed.