PDA

View Full Version : WR Calvin Johnson playing RIGHT NOW!

gbpackfan
09-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Check out freak WR Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) who is playing right now (kick off shortly!) on ESPN. He is probably going to be drafted top 10, if not top 5. The Packers are def. watching this kid.

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
His stats so far this year don't show it, but Calvin Johnson is going to be an unreal stud in the NFL.

I would die if the Packers got him. Not saying I'm ready to give up on this season yet, but it would be an awfully nice consolation prize after a lousy season. Driver/Jennings may be a good combo, but you just don't pass on a player like Johnson if he is available. Especially if Jennings has a lousy rookie season.

mission
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
His stats so far this year don't show it, but Calvin Johnson is going to be an unreal stud in the NFL..

i just got back from the bar and had to listen to all the tech fans telling me about johnson (hey, i live in atlanta)... im more hyped on him now haha... the stats tho... they dont throw to him much and his quarterback is awful. he made some great plays already -- id be stoked to have him as a packer.

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 07:31 PM
His stats so far this year don't show it, but Calvin Johnson is going to be an unreal stud in the NFL..

i just got back from the bar and had to listen to all the tech fans telling me about johnson (hey, i live in atlanta)... im more hyped on him now haha... the stats tho... they dont throw to him much and his quarterback is awful. he made some great plays already -- id be stoked to have him as a packer.
Very nice post, tony

Check out this clip OMG

Oh my God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRqyjzyBRg)

mission
09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
that's INSANE bro! never seen that before...

i never knew he was so big either... 6'5" 230... yikes.

im torn between him and jarrett though.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2006, 07:39 PM

So we now know he can make very difficult adjustments on the ball. His hands, or should I say hand looked pretty good too. That was extremely impressive. What about the rest of his game? What's his 40 time? Does he run good routes? Does he get seperation from good corners? Does he block a little?

Partial
09-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Check out the last two pages in the Mock Draft thread, I posted some stuff I noted on him. The problem is he seems to shy away from the YAC after making the catch. He'll make a sick grab over the middle in traffic but then fall over.

Partial
09-21-2006, 07:44 PM

So we now know he can make very difficult adjustments on the ball. His hands, or should I say hand looked pretty good too. That was extremely impressive. What about the rest of his game? What's his 40 time? Does he run good routes? Does he get seperation from good corners? Does he block a little?

He's as hyped as any prospect since Charles Rodgers and before him Randy Moss. It'll be interesting to see which pro he career is closer to.

justanotherpackfan
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
and he has a 45 inch vertical jump.

Fosco33
09-21-2006, 07:54 PM

6'5'' 235 lbs.

He can run by a defense. 4.35 s 40 yard dash and a 45'' vertical leap.

He has great potential. In the last 10 games, he's had one 100 yard game and was held to 2 receptions 3 times.

I don't know much else but it's perked my interest.

He's taller but skinner than Vernon Davis - but he's about as fast and can jump 3'' higher.

He's as hyped as any prospect since Charles Rodgers and before him Randy Moss. It'll be interesting to see which pro he career is closer to.

packers11
09-21-2006, 07:55 PM
O man, That would look so nice...

Favre...
Driver | Johnson | Jennings | Fergy...

Ahman in backfield...

Oline can only get stronger..

Offense becomes strong point again... :mrgreen:

This kid would be better than walker... Hes bigger and has better hands... Would favre gamble on a lot of 1 v 1's though :D

packers11
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
TOUCDOWN!

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 08:25 PM
TOUCDOWN!
Yeah that was sweet! I'm in my room at my apartment and there's no TV in my bedroom..I'm talkin to one of my buddies online and he just types "Calvin" and I was like "what about him?" and he's just like "touchdown" and I just ran to the living room to see it..Nice 58 yard catch.

mission
09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
TOUCDOWN!
Yeah that was sweet! I'm in my room at my apartment and there's no TV in my bedroom..I'm talkin to one of my buddies online and he just types "Calvin" and I was like "what about him?" and he's just like "touchdown" and I just ran to the living room to see it..Nice 58 yard catch.

damn i missed it... gonna head back over once my guys leave in about 10 mins. still the first half?

BallHawk
09-21-2006, 08:47 PM
The thing about drafting WR in the top 5, is that it is just too risky. There is wealth to be found, but only, I believe 22 of the starting WR in the NFL, are 10th or lower. Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Chris Chambers, Rod Smith Steve Smith, are all examples of WR that can be found later in the draft. I mean, look what Millen has done taking WR's in the 1st round. Rodgers is a bust, Mike Williams doesn't look promising, Roy Williams is the only one that looks like he will have a solid career.

Calvin is a great body type, and looks to be a good player. But the YAC concerns me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but West Coast focuses on YAC doesn't it. Donald Driver is excellent doing that, but if Calvin can't, that would be a problem.

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 08:50 PM
66 YARD td!!!!!!

packers11
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
66 YARD td!!!!!!

wow ... another long td... Hes HUGEE... Reminds me of Randy Moss so much....

Thats what the Packers need, we have the fast, good slant WR's.. We need a nice saftey toss it up to WR... He would fit perfect...

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Mike Williams never had the speed and the comparison to Jarret is crap because Jarret is good but also is a product of the sysgtem which surrounds him with talent. As I've been posting the last few weeks, Johnson is a stud and himor Peterson would be my #1 overall.

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 08:54 PM
the thing that makes me like him most is that he is a great kid who works on his craft before and after practice. He is packer people.

packers11
09-21-2006, 08:55 PM
the thing that makes me like him most is that he is a great kid who works on his craft before and after practice. He is packer people.

lol "packer people" :mrgreen:

BallHawk
09-21-2006, 08:55 PM
In this draft, if we have a high pick, I would trade down. Lots of talent to be had.

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
TOUCDOWN!

damn i missed it... gonna head back over once my guys leave in about 10 mins. still the first half?
8:21 left in third right now

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
With the score being what it is, he is probably done for the night and they did say that he has a deep thigh bruise. 6 receptions for 165 yards

gbpackfan
09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I WANT Calvin Johnson to be a Packer!

My God! What a talent. I have seen him play before and I knew he was good but man, he played out of his mind tonight. They should just keep feeding him the ball.

He might play some more now that Virginia just scored.

b bulldog
09-21-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm driving the bus, get on while the seats are still empty

Partial
09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I want Ted Ginn, not even necessarily as a receiver but as a returner. Christ that guy is inhumanly fast. Since I don't expect them to be awesome next year, if Ginn continues to grow as the year goes on I wouldn't be against getting him anywhere in the draft. I've only seen the highlights, but i've never seen such a fast player!

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm driving the bus, get on while the seats are still empty
I'm ridin shotgun

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Johnson looks like he has great athleticism for his size, but he doesn't look that fluid in some of these videos to me. It's not as bad, but he looks kind of stiff--like Matt Jones (who is another 6'5" athletic freak). I can't say that I've ever really seen him in a game though. I'm just going off these videos.

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 10:08 PM
In this draft, if we have a high pick, I would trade down. Lots of talent to be had.
I take it you're not impressed...

The Leaper
09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Ginn is amazingly fast, but the best receiver in Columbus is Anthony Gonzalez. Ginn merely gets by on speed...but at the next level, he isn't going to run past people as easily and will need to learn how to beat press coverages.

Gonzalez is a perfect example of what some of you have pointed out...lower draft picks who turn out to be great steals. Scouts and pundits drool over speed and highlights...but a guy who is fundamentally solid and has a good work ethic is almost certainly going to find success.

RBs typically have a much better track record in terms of high picks having success on the next level. With several big name RBs likely to come out next year, I'd much rather grab one of them if we have a top pick come spring.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm an OSU guy, but I must say that there are two guys that I never thought would amount to much on the pro level, but now I think they both have a chance to succeed in the NFL. Those guys are Gonzalez (good call, Leaper) and Troy Smith.

Ginn will make his mark in the pros, but it won't likely be as a #1 receiver.

RashanGary
09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
We might come out and win a few meaningless games. If the running game gets going, we could even win a bunch. I doubt that will happen, but I can't imagine we'll lose as many as we did last year. The talent seems so much higher this year.

You never know though. Jags might have no clue what he's doing and Sanders might be a huge step backwards.

I'd be extatic if we only win 4 but I still think we're going to pull 6 out.

esoxx
09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
I want Ted Ginn, not even necessarily as a receiver but as a returner. Christ that guy is inhumanly fast. Since I don't expect them to be awesome next year, if Ginn continues to grow as the year goes on I wouldn't be against getting him anywhere in the draft.

You probably should have wished that TT had drafted Devin Hester this year then. The Bears grabbed him in the 2nd round and of course he burned the Packers on a TD return. Scouts have compared him to Deion Sanders in the return game, not only about his quickness but his field vision. Has "freakish" ability. He really has no position to play on O or D but will light up the field on Special Teams.

RashanGary
09-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Our biggest need is RB and there are a few out there like Leaper said. I'd like either a RB or defense.

I love Calvin Johnson but it looks like he's a top 3 pick and I highly doubt we'll get to pick that high. If we lose this next game, I'll start buying into the hype and maybe get my hopes up.

I try not to be too optimisitic, it just sets me up for disappointment.

Partial
09-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I want Ted Ginn, not even necessarily as a receiver but as a returner. Christ that guy is inhumanly fast. Since I don't expect them to be awesome next year, if Ginn continues to grow as the year goes on I wouldn't be against getting him anywhere in the draft.

You probably should have wished that TT had drafted Devin Hester this year then. The Bears grabbed him in the 2nd round and of course he burned the Packers on a TD return. Scouts have compared him to Deion Sanders in the return game, not only about his quickness but his field vision. Has "freakish" ability. He really has no position to play on O or D but will light up the field on Special Teams.

That was the comparison that came to mind with Ginn, and I watched youtube videos of both and Ginn appears to bring the same vision and elusiveness with a whole new level of speed. That dude makes everyone look like like marquad manual out there!!

SudsMcBucky
09-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Calvin is the player I have mentioned in past posts that I would love to draft this year, assuming he comes out early. We'll certainly be in position to! :lol:

lod01
09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Absolte BEAST.

Regardless of who else is in the 2007 draft this guy should be the #1 pick based on his overall qualities.

High character, hard worker and VIRTUALLY UNSTOPPABLE.

I know I am targeting him in my FFL league to pair with Jennings and Andre Johnson. I wheeled and dealed to get 3 2007 1st Rd. picks in our dynasty draft to use as ammo to move up to #1 if I don't already have it with one of my 3 picks. All other Wr's in 2007 are NOTCHES below him.

I'll take this guy if the Packers take him because THIS is scary:
Driver
Jennings
Calvin Johnson.

TRY AND STOP IT.

lod01
09-22-2006, 07:52 AM

Scouts and pundits drool over speed and highlights...but a guy who is fundamentally solid and has a good work ethic is almost certainly going to find success.

Sounds just like......Greg Jennings, huh?

mission
09-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Ginn is amazingly fast, but the best receiver in Columbus is Anthony Gonzalez. Ginn merely gets by on speed...but at the next level, he isn't going to run past people as easily and will need to learn how to beat press coverages.

Gonzalez is a perfect example of what some of you have pointed out...lower draft picks who turn out to be great steals. Scouts and pundits drool over speed and highlights...but a guy who is fundamentally solid and has a good work ethic is almost certainly going to find success.

that's what i was saying in another thread. ginn isn't even the best buckeye receiver! :razz: gonzalez against texas looked unstoppable all day... and he had to MAKE plays, diving catches, etc... i was really impressed.

i really cant see johnson falling to us... he's too insane and i dont see us ending up as the bottom 2 or 3 in the league. maybe 5-7 but not that high.

and jarrett being a product of the system is a bit crazy. he was a sophomore last year and plays along side a tremendous receiver in steve smith. no one can argue his route running and play making ability ... if he was on a team like tech there would be a lot bigger numbers to get excited about. i guess that argument goes both ways. he's 6'5" and a man-beast too but yeah, id be a bit more wary about a usc receiver than i would a guy from tech.

red
09-22-2006, 09:01 AM
alright, i'm on the calvin bandwagon after watching the game last night

freak, is the best way to describe him

and he showed he can run after the catch on that last TD, he looked like a taller owens to me on that play

whats not to like? 6'5 235 45 inch verticle, 4.35- 40. they said he was very humble. and the thing that stuck out the most to me is that he went down to south america this offseason to help the poor, and he's going back after the season. he's sounds like a great guy

i love the thought of us being in the redzone and our qb (favre or rodgers) just being able to lob a pass towards him for a sure TD. he's almost a half foot taller then most CB's and he can outjump most guys in the pros

b bulldog
09-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Chan Gailey has said that he loves to work on his craft and is usually one of the last players off the practice field. I really hope we get a chance at him or Peterson. man amongst boys is the perfect description for Calvin.