PDA

View Full Version : Martin Questionable

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Sore knee bothering TE Martin

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

David Martin is back in a familiar place — on the injury report.

The Green Bay Packers' backup tight end's injury history is a longer list than his on-the-field accomplishments. This year, however, missing Martin could be more costly than ever.

The veteran tight end, whose inability to stay healthy has stunted what some believed would be a productive career, has become more involved in the offense than at any time during his pro career. The converted wide receiver has gotten a large workload as the No. 2 tight end in the litany of multiple tight-end sets first-year coach Mike McCarthy has used.

On top of that, Martin has served as the primary backup behind William Henderson, the only true fullback on the roster after Vonta Leach was cut last week.

In his expanded role, Martin had a career-high six catches in Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Saints but when he woke up the next morning, a knee was sore and swollen. He didn't practice on Wednesday and was listed as questionable on the injury report.

If Martin doesn't play Sunday against the Detroit Lions, it will ensure he won't play in all 16 regular-season games for the fifth time in his six NFL seasons. He has missed games in his career because of knee, groin and shoulder injuries and concussions in two different seasons.

Martin admitted Wednesday his career hasn't been what he thought it could have been. His best season in terms of productivity was last year, when he caught 27 passes for 224 yards and three touchdowns — all career highs — in only 12 games.

"Not even close," Martin said. "After my rookie year, a lot of people had high expectations of me. Last year was a pretty decent year for me, but those years before that weren't what I had hoped. It's been kind of a roller-coaster ride."

Seemingly every year in training camp, Martin has been in a fight for a job. But so far, he has held on in large part due to the promise he showed as a rookie, when he caught 13 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown. Until last season, he never caught more passes than that in any single year.

"I think my best years are still to come," Martin said.

Though the Packers are counting on Martin more, they might be better equipped to handle things if he succumbs to injuries again. General Manager Ted Thompson kept four tight ends, and the other two backups, Tory Humphrey and Donald Lee, have practiced in the backup fullback role and could assume most of Martin's duties. The Packers kept three tight ends active the first two weeks, leaving Humphrey off the 45-man game-day roster.

"Tory got some work today, and we feel very comfortable with the depth we have at that position," coach Mike McCarthy said.

packers11
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM

:crazy:

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
He showed promise last Sunday, but every time he does, he gets injured the next week.

esoxx
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Aren't all the Packers TE's "questionable"?

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Aren't all the Packers TE's "questionable"?
haha

BF4MVP
09-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I was actually pretty impressed with the way Martin played last game.

esoxx
09-21-2006, 10:37 PM
If Martin could just stay healthy, and that's a big IF, he could really help the Pack this year. He's a very willing blocker who has made huge strides in that area. He played WR in college so he does have some ability down the field and causing some matchup problems. But the health factor is a huge obstacle for this guy.

MJZiggy
09-21-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm hoping that it's just a little post-game soreness and that it will go down so he can practice tomorrow and then play. Either way it doesn't sound incredibly serious.

esoxx
09-21-2006, 10:48 PM
No, it's probably not serious and that's the problem with this guy. Every player has some type of post-game soreness. But most don't end up on the injury report, missing practice. These nicks and boo-boo's that he continually has, causing practice time to be missed and a game here and there...is what the problem really is. That stuff all adds up and makes him less than the player he has the potential to be. He needs to suck it up and come through for once. It's about time too.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't know how a TE or WR can play with a bad knee.

Martin is a good player.

KYPack
09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
No wonder we've got 4 of 'em!

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know how a TE or WR can play with a bad knee.

Martin is a good player.

So was Terrance Murphy. I doesn't matter how good you are if you can't play.

Lurker64
09-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Oh Phew, it's David Martin who's injured, which is no surprise to anyone. I was afraid Ingle had strained one of his clipboard holding muscles.

MJZiggy
09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
From an article on Ahman Green in Journal sentinel

Injury update: Tackle Junius Coston, cornerback Will Blackmon and guard Jason Spitz missed practice again on Thursday. Coston attempted to test his injured knee Wednesday by dressing and participating in drills, but he dropped out and missed practice.

Coston is listed as doubtful for the game at Detroit and the other two are questionable. Coston said he wasn't ready for a full return this week and hoped to be ready next week. Cornerback Al Harris practiced again with his injured shoulder and tight end David Martin returned after missing Wednesday with an injured knee.

Hopefully this means he's fine and can play.

Partial
09-22-2006, 10:08 AM

:crazy:

I'd agree with him. Most players have their best years from 28-31.

Fritz
09-22-2006, 12:00 PM
The bigger issue is Spitz. If that dude can't play, Sean Rodgers (Shawn Rogers? Shean Rojjers?) will be spending a lot of time up close and personal with Ahman Green and Brett Favre. Heck, he may be anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
The bigger issue is Spitz. If that dude can't play, Sean Rodgers (Shawn Rogers? Shean Rojjers?) will be spending a lot of time up

Colledge was said to do "OK" in Spitz's place last week.

I doubt Spitz is much better than Colledge, I don't care who plays among the three rookie guards. They all need to play and get better.

red
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO'S GOING TO CATCH ALL THOSE PASSES NOW?????????????????