PDA

View Full Version : CNN-SI Michael Silver's take on Favre

chewy-bacca
09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/09/21/brett/index.html

its the same old BS. Funny how everyone wants him to retire, unless he might go to a team they like..... :lol:

Things may not be perfect, but hes ours, and we like it that way.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
chewy, I thought you & Brett weren't friend anymore?

chewy-bacca
09-22-2006, 08:32 AM
naw, we just dont "hang" like we used too. We still hit a bar or two in the bi-week.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
naw, we just dont "hang" like we used too. We still hit a bar or two in the bi-week.

Well, don't take Robinson with you.

chewy-bacca
09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
hes drivin..... :shock: :crazy:

Rastak
09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
hes drivin..... :shock: :crazy:

Man, don't get in that car, whatever you do...call a cab or walk.

:lol:

packinpatland
09-22-2006, 12:30 PM
In the article he mentions Brett being 'frosty' towards Rodgers. What's that based on?

chewy-bacca
09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
He made it clear he didnt want to "mentor" him. I dunno if frosty is the right word, but I know hes not taking him under his wing.

Favre made it sound as if hes busy with trying to win and stuff. But I think a lot of people read between the lines.

RashanGary
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Favre is wasting his time in GB right now and GB is wasting their time with FAvre.

This is the final season. You cannot keep him on board any longer.

GBRulz
09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Favre is wasting his time in GB right now and GB is wasting their time with FAvre.

Do you really think people would still shell out $300 to see a game with Rodgers at QB? Another $150 a night for a hotel that normally goes for $70? etc. Our 4-12 record still getting us 2 MNF appearance with Rodgers as QB? I think not.

So many entities are economically benefiting from having him as our QB. TT knows that Favre is the face of the Packers. Their main marketing tool. GB needs Favre more than you realize. While financially, the Packers are doing well right now, they want to bank as much as possible for the future. Keeping Favre around helps them do that.

It goes much farther than on the field performance. I know you have been wanting Favre to take a paycut or retire for a while now, GJ, but what good is 11 mil in cap money to a GM that would prefer to shop at Wal-Mart?

RashanGary
09-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I consider the #1 goal to compete for the SB. I don't see it happening this year or next year and I'm 99.9% sure Brett won't play any longer than that and if he does it won't be at a high level in relation to his salary.

With that in mind, I would rather see that 11 mil invested in a player who will be here when we do have a chance two win.

As far as the GM shopping at walmart, that statement is accurate becasue after 1999 we haven't had more than a handfull of good players drafted. It takes time to fix a problem that big. Also, years of winning makes it harder to add new playmakers and the two we had stumbled down the proverbial hill at the same time.

It's over. We need to start from scratch, throw some shit to the cieling and hope some of it sticks. That is where we are right now. Favre's salary hurts us going forward esspecially if Rodgers can play at a high level. It's time to see what we've got. FAvre is done here. This year has to be the last.

FritzDontBlitz
09-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I consider the #1 goal to compete for the SB. I don't see it happening this year or next year and I'm 99.9% sure Brett won't play any longer than that and if he does it won't be at a high level in relation to his salary.

With that in mind, I would rather see that 11 mil invested in a player who will be here when we do have a chance two win.

As far as the GM shopping at walmart, that statement is accurate becasue after 1999 we haven't had more than a handfull of good players drafted. It takes time to fix a problem that big. Also, years of winning makes it harder to add new playmakers and the two we had stumbled down the proverbial hill at the same time.

It's over. We need to start from scratch, throw some shit to the cieling and hope some of it sticks. That is where we are right now. Favre's salary hurts us going forward esspecially if Rodgers can play at a high level. It's time to see what we've got. FAvre is done here. This year has to be the last.

i don't understand. how is favre's salary hurting the team? didn't we just have a shitload of cap space available in the offseason? even with the money the packers had they didn't get many big name players to ink here.

oh wait. i get it. they found out how much favre was making and decided it was the wrong place to be?

i noticed that even before the season started that you were posting about the packers not being able to compete for at least two or three years. personally, i don't think you need to completely gut a team in order to build a new one.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Doesn't Rodgers have a bunch of playing time incentives that will eat away at a bunch of that $11M anyway?

Sparkey
09-22-2006, 04:01 PM

Do you really think people would still shell out $300 to see a game with Rodgers at QB? Another $150 a night for a hotel that normally goes for $70? etc. Our 4-12 record still getting us 2 MNF appearance with Rodgers as QB? I think not.

So many entities are economically benefiting from having him as our QB. TT knows that Favre is the face of the Packers. Their main marketing tool. GB needs Favre more than you realize. While financially, the Packers are doing well right now, they want to bank as much as possible for the future. Keeping Favre around helps them do that.

It goes much farther than on the field performance. I know you have been wanting Favre to take a paycut or retire for a while now, GJ, but what good is 11 mil in cap money to a GM that would prefer to shop at Wal-Mart?

Green Bay DOES NOT NEED FAVRE.

He was a great player and has turned into a good player, but his age is against him and still being in Green Bay puts up a barrier to Rodgers getting the PT to learn how the game flows and gettign used too the speed of the game.

With the following QB's, packer games were still always sold out:

John Hadl
David WHitehurst
Lynn Dickey
Randy Wright
Vince Feragamo
Don Majkowski
Robbie Bosco

Green Bay will be fine long after Favre is gone. Sure some fans will stop following the team, but then are they really PACKER fans or just casual Favre fans ? ?

I would like to see Rodgers get some PT so that he learns the game and so that managment can learn if he has the potential to be a long term answer at the position.

MJZiggy
09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
The point GBR was trying to make is that those casual Favre fans that don't matter because they sell out the stadium anyway are worth more than just the tickets they sell. Those people order merchandise. Favre jerseys are a hot commodity. Is there anyone around who doesn't have one? The funds from the jerseys they buy at the pro shop go to the team. There are Packer (Favre) fans spread all across the country. He is, arguably the most notable sports figure since Michael Jordan. If he weren't, do you really think the media would have been in a frenzy over every word the man said last offseason?

Besides that, the man gives us our best chance to win. Do you think Aaron Rodgers is ready right now to take this team to the Super Bowl? If you do, you need some better meds. He ain't Favre or anything close to him yet. That is why he is on the bench and not in the games. He is still learning. If the team is a train wreck as so many have insisted it is? Then why dump your qb of the future into the wreckage. Why wouldn't you wait 'til he has a bevy of weapons at his disposal and a reasonable chance for success. That is what he'll have in a couple of years when Jennings, Martin, Martin, Humphrey et al. mature. You don't have to start over then either because at that time, Rodgers will have a few years under M3 and he'll have a much better idea of what he can do. Right now it's Brett's team and everyone should just be enjoying watching him pick off Marino records all season, because I can assure you Rodgers doesn't have much of a shot at them.

Sparkey
09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
The point GBR was trying to make is that those casual Favre fans that don't matter because they sell out the stadium anyway are worth more than just the tickets they sell. Those people order merchandise. Favre jerseys are a hot commodity. Is there anyone around who doesn't have one? The funds from the jerseys they buy at the pro shop go to the team. There are Packer (Favre) fans spread all across the country. He is, arguably the most notable sports figure since Michael Jordan. If he weren't, do you really think the media would have been in a frenzy over every word the man said last offseason?

Besides that, the man gives us our best chance to win. Do you think Aaron Rodgers is ready right now to take this team to the Super Bowl? If you do, you need some better meds. He ain't Favre or anything close to him yet. That is why he is on the bench and not in the games. He is still learning. If the team is a train wreck as so many have insisted it is? Then why dump your qb of the future into the wreckage. Why wouldn't you wait 'til he has a bevy of weapons at his disposal and a reasonable chance for success. That is what he'll have in a couple of years when Jennings, Martin, Martin, Humphrey et al. mature. You don't have to start over then either because at that time, Rodgers will have a few years under M3 and he'll have a much better idea of what he can do. Right now it's Brett's team and everyone should just be enjoying watching him pick off Marino records all season, because I can assure you Rodgers doesn't have much of a shot at them.

I do not have a Favre jersey. I do not have any players Jersey. I do have two PACKER sweatshirts, a Packer winter coat and a PACKER spring pull-over and three hats.

The majority of the money for PLAYER jerseys goes to the NFLPA. The team gets the money for TEAM apparel.

As far as the Super Bowl. Rodgers has just as good of chance as Favre does of taking GB to the superbowl over the next three years. ZERO.

I am a realist. The next three years are going to be painful to watch at times. BUT I will still watch.

I think Thompson would like for Favre to call it a career. Because, if he has any common sense, he knows that the current version of the Packers is at least three years from being a GOOD team again, so why live with this illusion ?

MJZiggy
09-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I ain't giving up yet. Not until we are mathematically eliminated. We've played two damn games. That does not doom the season. Not with #4 under center.

packinpatland
09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Is it 'women's intuition'?

The two posts that make the most sense here are from MJZiggy and GBRulz.