View Full Version : How To Solve Ahman's Fumbling

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Notes: Bennett tells Green to get a grip
Coach emphasizes protecting ball
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 21, 2006

Green Bay - Green Bay running backs coach Edgar Bennett has known Ahman Green a long time, so Bennett feels like he can push Green pretty hard this week to cut down on the fumbles. So far Green has two fumbles, one lost, and Bennett said the proactive way to prevent another is to harp on the importance of ball security.

"We work on it every day and it's emphasized every day," Bennett said. "That is a big part of what we do. You always try to go out and win the give-away, take-away. We play a big part in that, we focus on that every day with a number of different drills, as well as just constant reminders."

Green looked generally off in every way last week in the loss to New Orleans. He ran poorly and dropped passes he normally makes. But his fumble in the fourth quarter against the Saints was a killer.

Tied at 20-20, the Saints had just scored to take the lead.

With plenty of time left, the Packers anticipated answering with their own touchdown. But Green fumbled on his own 23-yard line on the first play. Several of his teammates reacted with frustrated looks and Green's own body language gave away his disappointment as well.

Bennett said Green, who is making a comeback from a thigh injury last season, hasn't lost his confidence.

"I think his frame of mind is solid," Bennett said. "He's focused on what he has to get done as well as what we have to get done."

Green fumbled seven times each in 2003 and 2004.

Like the Bears: Shortly after Detroit lost to Chicago in humbling fashion last week, Lions coach Rod Marinelli declared: "That team is where I'm going with this one. They played hard and they played tough." It was a bold comment given that Chicago is the overwhelming NFC North favorite and Detroit hasn't had a winning season since 2000. But while there are some obvious differences, the Packers are expecting a physical matchup with the Lions' defense on Sunday.

"What Chicago does is base everything off of their best player, who is (Brian) Urlacher," Packers tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Detroit has a great defensive line, and for that you need a dominant three technique (Shaun Rodgers). They have that to get that started."

Tauscher said while Chicago is built more for speed and the Lions are more physical, both teams follow the Tampa Bay philosophy of building a defense around a top linebacker and a top defensive tackle. The Lions are also getting solid play from rookie Ernie Sims.

"Detroit, they drafted a linebacker first, who has been playing well for them, so I am sure that's what they're trying to do," said Tauscher.

Sunday afternoon Driver: Packers receiver Donald Driver has 15 receptions in two games and is the second-leading receiver in the NFL in yards (249). Only former Packers Ken Payne (17 in 1975) and Robert Brooks (16 in 1995) have had more in the first two games, while Dorsey Levens also had 15 in 1998.

How Lions' cornerbacks Frenando Bryant and Dre' Bly will attempt to stop Driver is anyone's guess.

"I don't know," said Driver. "I am not sure what they're going to do."

In the past when Driver has strung together several high-reception games, he noticed opponents double and triple teaming him to defend him.

"They have, but it hasn't worked," said Driver. "So I don't know what's on Detroit's mind. But I think I have two other guys (Greg Jennings and Robert Ferguson) that will be able to step up and take the pressure off me."

Injury update: Tackle Junius Coston, cornerback Will Blackmon and guard Jason Spitz missed practice again on Thursday. Coston attempted to test his injured knee Wednesday by dressing and participating in drills, but he dropped out and missed practice.

Coston is listed as doubtful for the game at Detroit and the other two are questionable. Coston said he wasn't ready for a full return this week and hoped to be ready next week. Cornerback Al Harris practiced again with his injured shoulder and tight end David Martin returned after missing Wednesday with an injured knee.

Detroit right tackles Barry Stokes and Rex Tucker both missed practice again Thursday and remain questionable for Sunday. Left guard Ross Verba practiced with an injured hamstring and remains listed as questionable.

The Lions removed defensive end Cory Redding and defensive tackle Shaun Rogers from their report today. Cornerback Fernando Bryant missed practice for personal reasons.
From the Sept. 22, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Simple, yet ingenious. Solve the problem by reminding him not to fumble.

Ughhhh.

red
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
what happened to the new green and white sleeve he started wearing? remember when he was wearing that black foam rubber thing and someone told him it gets slick and that could lead to the fumbles, so he switched to the green and white cloth one and the problem went away

but i don't think he wore it in the first two games

Rastak
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM

Ughhhh.

Well, he may have just forgotten...... :roll:

Actually wasn't Green pretty good about hanging on to the ball last year?
I know he had problems earlier in his career.

red
09-22-2006, 09:20 AM

Ughhhh.

yeah, because he switched to those new arm pads i mentioned. they looked like shin pads he worn on his forearms

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
If memory serves, Green seems to start every year out with the problem, and then seems to hang onto it better as the season progresses. It's easier to overlook when he's putting up 1500 yard seasons, but coming off this injury and with a new staff, they might not be so patient with him this time.

Fritz
09-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, they have no choice but to be patient, do they? Who else we got?

I do think that if TT drafts a running back who the coaches think can step in, that Green will be gone next year.

mmmdk
09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, if Morency carries the rock then Green wouldn't fumble...never mind! :oops:

FritzDontBlitz
09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
If memory serves, Green seems to start every year out with the problem, and then seems to hang onto it better as the season progresses. It's easier to overlook when he's putting up 1500 yard seasons, but coming off this injury and with a new staff, they might not be so patient with him this time.

ahman sweats a lot, and in the early season he tends to lose more balls because of sweaty hands. the rubber elbow pads helped for a while in dry weather until that disastrous monday night game against philly where green had 4 fumbles in a driving rain before switching to the cloth pads.

BooHoo
09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Try duct tape.

woodbuck27
09-23-2006, 01:16 AM

Ughhhh.

In the 5 games Ahman Green played in...

he had 77 carries and 19 receptions or 96 touch's and 1 fumble.

GO PACK GO ! FAITH !!

vince
09-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes, over the course of his career, Green has had a propensity to fumble early, then address it as the season progresses..., so for whatever reason, it's something he needs to work through.

He's still IMO a very good back, but age is catching up to him... I give Ahman this year and next - in a reduced role - but that's all he's got left in the tank... I hope he's got that much. Groin problem nagging him already this year...not good.

I'm in the camp that thinks we need to draft a RB in the early rounds next year and work him into the lineup to spell Green/Morency, getting that individual ready to take over in 08. This is a position that must be addressed soon, but I am not sure there's a FA-to-be this next offseason that's the answer...

I don't think pursuing Thomas Jones and overpaying for him when he's going to be on the downside of his productivity curve is the solution for us. I think going after a young horse early in the draft is the way to go for us at RB.