PDA

View Full Version : Millen Nearly Cut Mike Williams

Scott Campbell
09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Mike Williams will get a fair shot from Lions' coaching staff

Friday, September 22, 2006
Rob Parker: Clubhouse Confidential
Detroit News

My molesare telling me the Lions think receiver Mike Williams has a bright future.

That's hard to believe when you consider the second-year pro out of Southern California hasn't been in uniform this season.

But coach Rod Marinelli and offensive coordinator Mike Martz, molessay, believe Williams has the potential to be a star. But they want him to work hard and earn it -- every day.

They believe Williams, selected 10th overall in the 2005 draft, only is scratching the surface. And to get the best out of him, they have administered tough love.

Marinelli did the same thing in Tampa Bay with star defensive end Simeon Rice. Early on, they wouldn't allow Rice to play on third down -- the money down. In the NFL, sacks mean money -- lots of it.

In Williams' case, the coaches believe he doesn't do the things he needs to when the ball is not being thrown his way, such as blocking. Even when Roy Williams doesn't have a big day catching the ball, he does other things coaches want to see.

That's the biggest hang-up with Mike Williams, who molessay, needs to mature.

To this point, Williams has been criticized -- and fined -- for being late to meetings, being overweight and being downright lazy. It doesn't help he's also not the best practice player, either.

Team president Matt Millen, molessay, wanted to cut Williams right before the season.

Marinelli and Martz, though, convinced Millen they'll get the best out of him -- eventually.

red
09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
i kept telling people that charles rodgers and mike williams were both close to being cut this preseason, and everyone looked at me like i had shit coming out of my ears

run pMc
09-22-2006, 10:40 AM
molessay LOL

retailguy
09-22-2006, 10:43 AM
i kept telling people that charles rodgers and mike williams were both close to being cut this preseason, and everyone looked at me like i had shit coming out of my ears

You do have "shit" coming out of your ears. I thought you knew that. My bad. :wink:

run pMc
09-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Maybe they should make him a TE. No LB could cover him, and he'd tower over a S. His blocking would need a lot of work, and his prima donna attitude wouldn't buy it.

Kidding aside, my guess is if he doesn't show something they'll cut him next year. With a new HC, the underachieving by Charles Rogers and this guy wasn't going to be tolerated.

Guiness
09-22-2006, 11:24 AM
I still marvel at this.

I remember a Detroit official (dunno who...Millen?) saying there was just no way they could leave value like him on the board at that position, they were fortunate to land him, etc. It just occured to me, but what bothers me about that is it's almost an echo of what TT said after getting Rodgers. You can't compare the players, but the GM's feelings about drafting them were the same.

It baffles me how people are surprised his work ethic and desire are lacking. This guy essentially voluntarily took a year off football. Anyone with any love for the game would never do that.

wist43
09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I knew Mike Williams was a terrible pick... can you imagine, Mike Williams ahead of Shawn Merriman.

Crazy.

Fritz
09-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Agreed, Wist. Agreed. Thank goodness for Matt Millen if you're a Packer fan.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I still marvel at this.

I remember a Detroit official (dunno who...Millen?) saying there was just no way they could leave value like him on the board at that position, they were fortunate to land him, etc. It just occured to me, but what bothers me about that is it's almost an echo of what TT said after getting Rodgers. You can't compare the players, but the GM's feelings about drafting them were the same.

It baffles me how people are surprised his work ethic and desire are lacking. This guy essentially voluntarily took a year off football. Anyone with any love for the game would never do that.

Are you crazy? He didn't voluntarily take a year off. The NFL wouldn't let him play and he couldn't go back to school.

Williams declared for the 2004 NFL Draft, but he was declined by a federal judge. He could not return to college afterwards because he had already hired an agent.

What exactly was he supposed to do?

Work Ethic: Williams played in all 26 games during his freshman and sophomore years at USC, and started 15 of those games. His freshman season, he had 81 receptions for 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns. These statistics are all USC and Pacific 10 Conference freshman records. He began an even more impressive sophomore campaign in 2003, which resulted in 95 catches leading to 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Zool
09-22-2006, 01:40 PM
I still marvel at this.

Are you crazy? He didn't voluntarily take a year off. The NFL wouldn't let him play and he couldn't go back to school.

Williams declared for the 2004 NFL Draft, but he was declined by a federal judge. He could not return to college afterwards because he had already hired an agent.

Work Ethic: Williams played in all 26 games during his freshman and sophomore years at USC, and started 15 of those games. His freshman season, he had 81 receptions for 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns. These statistics are all USC and Pacific 10 Conference freshman records. He began an even more impressive sophomore campaign in 2003, which resulted in 95 catches leading to 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns.Well maybe he could have gone back to school for another year and not follow Maruice Clarett? Clarett is really turning out to be a quality human. Not someone I would follow I guess.

Partial
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I still marvel at this.

Work Ethic: Williams played in all 26 games during his freshman and sophomore years at USC, and started 15 of those games. His freshman season, he had 81 receptions for 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns. These statistics are all USC and Pacific 10 Conference freshman records. He began an even more impressive sophomore campaign in 2003, which resulted in 95 catches leading to 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns.Well maybe he could have gone back to school for another year and not follow Maruice Clarett? Clarett is really turning out to be a quality human. Not someone I would follow I guess.

You can't blaim him for following Clarette after he initially won in court and hired an agent. That was before Clarette was lightin' peeps up, and shit!

Guiness
09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I knew Mike Williams was a terrible pick... can you imagine, Mike Williams ahead of Shawn Merriman.

Crazy.

I was looking at that. Further, MW ahead of Merriman, Demarcus Ware and Derrick Johnson.

Ahh, hindsight. 20-20 once again, eh?

Guiness
09-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Now I remember why I don't like you - you muddy the waters with pertinent facts :oops:

Maybe there was no way he could play. But I tend to think he could've tried a little harder. Div 1-AA? NAIA? I never heard of his applying for re-instatement. I just think he was happy enough to take a year off Bigguns.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Now I remember why I don't like you - you muddy the waters with pertinent facts :oops:

Maybe there was no way he could play. But I tend to think he could've tried a little harder. Div 1-AA? NAIA? I never heard of his applying for re-instatement. I just think he was happy enough to take a year off Bigguns.

Mike Williams excelled at every level of ball. There was really nothing left for him to prove in college. He caught 95 balls in college with 16 touchdowns. That is ridiculous. He went to USC because NONE of the Florida schools thought he could play WR.

I'm not sure that he could have gone to a lesser level. That would require some research. But, I do know that Williams severed ties with his agent, returned all the money he had made in fees and endorsements and enrolled in summer school to make up his missing credits. According to USC, he passed his courses and returned every last cent he was given. The ball was now back in the hands of the NCAA, who not-so-promptly dropped it.

But, YOU have no basis to think that he enjoyed taking a year off. What do you base that on?

His coaches all believe that he has tremendous talent, but needs to practice harder. Ok. But, there are a number of great pros that were lousy practice players. We had one...his name was Sterling Sharpe. But, somehow Holmgren looked past it. More importantly, he was a GREAT game day player.

Do i think Williams could learn a valuable lesson here. Of course. But, do I also think he could thrive on another team. Yes.

Obviously Marinelli is trying to instill a tough work ethic. Will that work in Detroit. I don't know. I think the problems there lie up the chain of command. If instilling discipline and being tough was the solution, Bobby Ross would have won the superbowl.

Some quotes from him, His uniform number (No. 1): "I wear No. 1 because I like everything that comes with the number. Not in an arrogant kind of way but people naturally expect more from people who wear that number. That person must be dependable and accountable and also is expected to be a leader. I wore it in high school and when I got to USC, the number was available. I thought I would try to fit the persona of 'No. 1' here and do some great things for the school."

What gives him the most pleasure in football: "The greatest feeling I get from all these touchdowns and these catches and everything is when I to go home after games and my phone has 10 or 15 voice messages from family and friends. That's what it's about. It's not about all this glory or this hype. That's all good for a scrapbook, but what's really important to me are the people who are proud of me for what I did and the people who were always there for me."

Terry
09-23-2006, 07:00 AM
He sounds ok going by that. Nice post, Tyrone.

Uh... hey, everyone... is that red standing over there? Yes, by gum, it is! My goodness! He's looking pretty good too, by golly. But gee.... [peering closely] that's odd... ummm... what is that? It looks like... nyah, can't be [peering more closely] Holy mackerel, but... uh... is that shit coming out of his ears?!

red
09-23-2006, 09:30 AM
come on, how the hell can you say that you knew he was a horrible pick and never should have been taken in front oh merriman? my as. no one at the time could have seen that 1 year later williams would have been close to being cut and that shawne, would be the all out freak he has become so fast

he was a god in college that got screwed over big time by the NCAA. when he came out many experts and other hacks like myself thought he would go #2 or #3. we were all shocked that he fell as far as he did. and where did he end up? with a team that had 2 other high first round draft picks on the roster

this guy WILL be a monster in the nfl someday, when he gets on a better team that knows how to use him

williams didn't follow clarrett, and said, "i hope they let me in". clarett took the whole matter to court, and sued the nfl and their rule that a player has to be out of high school for 3 years. he won, the courts found in his favor and pretty much said, guys can go pro when they want. willaims and clarett jumper right away and got agents. the nfl then appealed the decision in a higher court and got the thing reversed. by this time the two players had already signed agents, which the ncaa rules prohibit, so they were not allowed to go back. they were screwed by the ncaa, nfl, and the court system. its hard for me to fault those two for what happened to them

RashanGary
09-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Crazy.

Shudder....I would be sick if I was a DTW fan.

That right there is the difference between a 5-11 season and 8-8. What an idiot.