PDA

View Full Version : Mossy Cade revisited

motife
09-22-2006, 05:26 PM
THURSDAY, Sept. 21, 2006, 4:25 p.m.
The Mossy Cade story
This week's question was submitted by Richard Miller of Los Angeles He asked: What was the whole story involving Mossy Cade?

Tommories "Mossy" Cade, a defensive back from the University of Texas, was chosen by the San Diego Chargers with the sixth overall choice in the 1984 draft. A bitter contract dispute followed and Cade wound up signing with the Memphis Showboats of the United States Football League, where he played in the spring of 1985. The following August, after the Showboats failed to pay him a bonus that he had coming and with the league on the brink of folding, Cade was released from his contract.

On Sept. 5, 1985, with the Packers coming off another dismal exhibition slate and with the season-opener three days away, coach Forrest Gregg traded the Packers' first-round draft pick and a conditional pick, which turned out to be a fifth-rounder, to San Diego for the rights to Cade and also simultaneously came to terms with him. With cornerback being perhaps the Packers' strongest position at the time - the starters were veterans Mark Lee and Tim Lewis - the trade was not a popular one.

The word was that Cade hadn't even played that well in the USFL. "Very frankly, he didn't play up to his potential or his abilities," Carl Peterson, then general manager of the Baltimore Stars and now with the Kansas City Chiefs, said at the time.

Cade played the 1985 season, starting two games at corner for an injured Lee and one at strong safety, but certainly didn't distinguish himself. Moreover, he was arrested on Nov. 14 and booked on a charge of second-degree sexual assault.

The woman who was the victim of the assault was Cade's aunt by marriage. She said she was in Green Bay visiting Cade and was staying at his De Pere home when he assaulted her in the early morning hours of Nov. 4, the day after Cade had made his first pro start against the Chicago Bears.

The criminal complaint said Cade had arrived home about 1:15 a.m. The woman said she was sleeping when Cade woke her and the assault followed.

The Packers chose not to suspend Cade and allowed him to continue playing. "I am not the judge," Gregg said at the time. "I am not the jury. This is America. A man is innocent until he is proven guilty."

Cade finished the season and played again in 1986 while the case worked its way through the courts. In '86, Cade began the season as the starter at strong safety for an injured Mark Murphy and moved to corner when Lewis' career was ended by a neck injury.

Later that season, wide receiver James Lofton also was arrested on a sexual assault charge.

The two players went to trial in May, 1987, in separate courtrooms across the hall from each other in the Brown County Courthouse. Lofton was acquitted. On the day after, Cade was convicted on two counts of second-degree sexual assault.

Cade was sentenced to two years in prison and fined $15,000. He never played pro football again.

motife
09-22-2006, 05:29 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO....

Al Matthews?

A second-round draft pick in 1970 out of Texas A&I, Matthews started the final game of his rookie year at cornerback. He started at corner again in 1971 and then moved to strong safety in 1972 and started there for five seasons. Although he was known more for his tackling against the run, Matthews intercepted 10 passes during his six seasons with the Packers. In 1976, he was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the expansion draft. The highlight of Matthews' career was winning the NFC Central Division in 1972, starting on a defense that ranked second in the league in yards allowed. One of Matthews' toughest moments was when he was told to move from corner to safety and replace the great Willie Wood during the final game of the '71 season.

"I'll never forget the last game in Miami, I had to go in and tell Willie, 'Hey, I'm taking your spot,'" said Matthews. "Here's a Hall of Famer and he had to go to the sideline. I played maybe the last half or something for Willie at free safety. To have to go in and take somebody's spot like that is pretty tough. A lot of things I learned was from Willie Wood. It was kind of embarrassing. If you're going to sub for somebody, you should talk about it on the sideline. Maybe he didn't think anything about it, but it was Willie's last game as a Packer."

Matthews, 58, lives in Pflugerville, Texas, a suburb of Austin. He has been an automobile salesman for 19 years and works for a Lexus dealer.

HIGH FIVE

Ken Ellis rates the best wide receivers he went up against during his years with the Packers. Ellis played cornerback for the Packers from 1970-'75.

1 - Paul Warfield
2 - Otis Taylor
3 - Charley Taylor
4 - Gene Washington (San Francisco)
5 - Fred Biletnikoff

20 YEARS AGO
Sept. 18, 1986 - The Packers' effort to acquire quarterback Jim Everett fell through. The Houston Oilers traded him instead to the Los Angeles Rams for Pro Bowl guard Kent Hill, defensive end William Fuller, two No. 1 draft picks and a fifth-round choice. Everett was the third overall pick in last spring's draft.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Mossy Cade made a comeback with the Vikings. I think it only lasted a few days.