View Full Version : McGinn analyzes Detroit Lions

motife
09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Packers' next opponent: Not much of a choice
Defense gives Lions edge in battle of winless teams
Posted: Sept. 19, 2006
On the Packers
Bob McGinn

Green Bay - The winless Detroit Lions have scored 13 points in two games, will have to deal with a lengthy injury list this week and own a 21-61 record since Matt Millen took charge as club president in 2001, the worst mark in the National Football League.

Nevertheless, oddsmakers have installed the Lions as a 6½-point favorite over the winless Green Bay Packers Sunday at Ford Field. Green Bay has won three of the last five meetings in Detroit.

Two executives in personnel for recent opponents of the Lions said they didn't see much to pick from between the two teams. Both, however, favored the Lions.

"Green Bay's offense can light it up and Detroit's offense isn't going to challenge Green Bay's defense that much," one scout said. "But I'd go with Detroit by three (points) just because they'll play very physical defense."

The Lions appeared to be intimidated Sunday in Chicago, losing to the Bears, 34-7, in a game that was never competitive. Rex Grossman skewered the Lions for 289 passing yards despite sitting out half the fourth quarter.

However, on opening day in Detroit, the Lions fought the Seattle Seahawks tooth and nail before falling, 9-6.

"I think it's a pick 'em," the other scout said. "I think it's Detroit because they can stone you with their defense. Especially there. (Rod) Marinelli's first year, I know he's going to have them riled up for this one."

Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers was almost unstoppable against Seattle, manhandling veteran guard Floyd Womack. To oppose the rampaging Rogers, the Packers once again will send out their rookie guards.

Book on the Lions
Difference-maker: The Lions' offense appears to be in hibernation but DT Shaun Rogers certainly isn't. He almost single-handedly led an upset of Seattle on opening day.

Weakest Link: If overmatched LG Rick DeMulling is forced to start a third straight game for injured Ross Verba, then it would have to be him. If Verba can go, then offensive line coach Larry Beightol will be trying to hide RT Rex Tucker.

On the rise: Rookie WLB Ernie Sims, the ninth player taken in the draft, plays the same position as A.J. Hawk. He plays with tremendous emotion, delivers some lights-out hits and runs very fast.

The series: The 152nd regular-season meeting. Packers lead, 80-64-7.

McGINN'S VIEW
Rod Marinelli tried to hire his son-in-law, Joe Barry, to coach the defensive line in Detroit but Tampa Bay refused to let its linebackers coach leave.
So he came up with Joe Cullen, who spent 2005 working as a graduate assistant at Illinois. Earlier that year, he was fired by Mississippi after being arrested for public drunkenness. In 2003, as an assistant at Indiana, he was reprimanded publicly by the administration for slapping a players helmet during a game.

On Aug. 24, Cullen, 38, was arrested and charged with indecent and obscene conduct when he drove naked through a drive-through restaurant. A week later, he was arrested and charged with drunken driving. He missed one game but has been working ever since.

When he couldnt get Barry, Marinelli still had hundreds of candidates to head up the position that he coached throughout his career as an assistant. Marinelli loves to talk about how much he values character but his decision to hire someone with such a checkered past makes him look like a hypocrite.

Despite the Lions' highly vulnerable offensive line, new offensive coordinator Mike Martz has called runs on merely 29% of the plays.

"I gotta believe Martz is going to start running the ball at some point," one scout said. "If they can play their game on offense they're tough on defense, but Martz just keeps dropping back. If he keeps dropping back, I think it will be a different game."

OFFENSE
SCHEME
First-year coordinator Mike Martz is installing the quirky system that took the NFL by storm in St. Louis. So far, not so good. Martz's deep-drop passing game, which requires precise timing and reliable pass blocking, has been erratic. His run game, a blend of gap and zone schemes, has been anemic. Martz is a master of disguise, forcing defenses to sift through abundant shifts and motions.

RECEIVERS
With Charles Rogers on the street and Mike Williams in Marinelli's doghouse because of laziness and excess poundage, Roy Williams (6 feet 2½ inches, 211 pounds) is the only one of Matt Millen's three first-round picks at wide receiver from 2003-'05 playing. Williams has incredible talent and sees himself as the Lions' version of Torry Holt. At this point, he's an up-and-down player who doesn't go hard all the time and isn't in sync with the offense. On the other side, Marinelli benched former Packer Corey Bradford (6-0½, 200) last week in favor of former Ram Mike Furrey (5-10½, 195). The fearless Furrey is like Wayne Chrebet, someone limited by size and speed but a player who will go anywhere for the ball. Bradford, 30, got a $2 million signing bonus March 13 to leave Houston. He still has good speed and is dangerous on sideline go routes, but he lacks quickness. The Lions would prefer to start TE Casey FitzSimmons (6-4, 258) but it's about 50-50 if he returns from a broken wrist. Former Cowboy Dan Campbell (6-5, 265) is a good blocker with surprising athleticism. Even at 34, former Colt Marcus Pollard (6-3, 250) remains a receiving threat.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Durable LT Jeff Backus (6-5½, 305) doesn't do anything special but in July was given a five-year extension containing a $12.75 million signing bonus. If Backus isn't the team's best blocker then RG Damien Woody (6-3, 340) would be. Woody is fast enough to pull and strikes a blow on the move and with in-line punches, but is susceptible to quick moves in protection. C Dominic Raiola (6-2, 295), a starter since '02, is fast, smart and fairly physical. He just needs to play lower against brawny opponents. RT Rex Tucker (6-5, 315), an oft-injured former Bear, is playing with a hairline fracture in his leg and has been getting buffeted. Former Packer LG Ross Verba (6-4, 305), who sat out '05 before taking $4.7 million in bonus money to sign with Detroit on June 1, has missed two games with a hamstring injury but is expected to try practicing Thursday. He's a mauler and looked pretty good this summer. Replacing Verba has been former Colt Rick DeMulling (6-4, 310), who really can't play.

QUARTERBACKS
After saying so long to Joey Harrington, the Lions handed a $3.5 million signing bonus to Bengals backup Jon Kitna (6-2, 220). Kitna, 34, isn't the answer but he beats Harrington in terms of charisma, toughness and efficiency. Despite heavy pressure, he hasn't been intercepted and has completed 65.7%. His arm is OK, too. Kitna isn't mobile, and his dropback is too slow. Former Cardinal Josh McCown (6-3½, 213) is No. 2 ahead of Dan Orlovsky (6-5, 230).

RUNNING BACKS
After gaining acclaim with a 1,133-yard season as a rookie in '04, Kevin Jones (6-0, 228) has gone 16 games without surpassing 100 yards. He's healthy, strong, elusive, tough to knock down and adequate both as a receiver and blocker. It might be that his instincts just aren't real good. Veteran swing man Shawn Bryson (6-0½, 230) is No. 2 ahead of rookie Brian Calhoun (5-9, 208), the former Badger whose main issue has been an inability to grasp a complex offense. FB Cory Schlesinger (6-0½, 247), like William Henderson a 12-year veteran, hasn't slipped but isn't used much anymore.

DEFENSE
SCHEME
Tough-talking coordinator Donnie Henderson, who coordinated for the Jets in 2004 and '05, calls the game but the Lions are running Marinelli's Cover 2 scheme. The Lions also play a lot of three-deep zone and some man-to-man. They blitz only when the four-man rush isn't effective and don't do much stunting.

DEFENSIVE LINE
This has been the Lions' best position throughout the Millen years. The Bears controlled Rogers (6-4½, 335) with non-stop double-teaming after he devoured the Seahawks. He's extremely quick off the ball, enormous, naturally strong and nasty. Shaun Cody (6-4, 310), the replacement for departed NT Dan Wilkinson, is somewhat miscast. He's better on the move and tends to get beaten down at the point. LE Cory Redding (6-4, 295) and RE James Hall (6-2, 280) are solid players. Redding is tough to run against and a rugged bull rusher. Hall is an up-the-field player with good first-step quickness. He's thick enough to handle the run, too. DE Kalimba Edwards (6-5½, 265) was given a $5 million signing bonus to re-sign in March but he's just too stiff and mechanical. NT Marcus Bell (6-1½, 320) probably is stouter than Cody. DE Jared DeVries (6-4, 275) chases hard.

LINEBACKERS
Rookie WLB Ernie Sims (5-11, 225) has brought some pizzazz to the back seven. Yes, he's undisciplined and will overrun plays, but he's strong for his size, plays well with his hands, packs a tremendous wallop and has great speed. MLB Boss Bailey (6-3, 235) played 74 snaps off the bench the last two games and is ready to start. Despite a rash of major injuries he still can get excellent depth in coverage and is tough. He just misses too many tackles. With Alex Lewis out with a knee injury, the strong-side starter will be former Packer Paris Lenon (6-1, 235), former Cardinal LaVar Woods (6-2, 240) or veteran backup Donté Curry (6-0, 240). Lenon, who started in the middle in Weeks 1 and 2, has a bad shoulder. He lacks speed but is quick. Curry is a big hitter but gets lost in space.

SECONDARY
SS Kenoy Kennedy (6-0½, 215), a tough hitter with little range, suffered a foot injury in Chicago and might not play. He would be replaced by rookie Daniel Bullocks (6-0½, 212), a second-round pick, or former Jet Jon McGraw (6-3, 206). Bullocks is physical and fast but lacks discipline and misses a lot of tackles. For his size, McGraw can really run. However, a concussion suffered in Chicago leaves McGraw's availability in question. FS Terrence Holt (6-1½, 208), a third-round pick in '05, is more of a grab tackler with only average speed. LC Fernando Bryant (5-10, 184) and RC Dré Bly (5-10, 188) are starting together for the third season. Bryant, 29, doesn't fit the physical description of most cornerbacks in Cover 2 schemes. He's a fine athlete but his speed has diminished. Bly, 29, went to the Pro Bowl in 2003 and '04. Bly still can mirror most receivers and has a penchant for big plays. He takes calculated gambles. Former Badger Jamar Fletcher (5-9, 180) might be the dime back. He's quicker than fast and gets shoved around downfield.

SPECIAL TEAMS
K Jason Hanson, 36, and Brett Favre have been with their teams for 15 seasons, longer than anyone in the league. Hanson is accurate, has a strong leg and kicks off well. P Nick Harris, who had 66 punts inside the 20 but just nine touchbacks in 2004-'05, is off to a slow start. Some scouts say Eddie Drummond is the NFL's finest return man. He hasn't done much yet, perhaps because he's focused more on his role as the No. 4 wideout. Bullocks is the leader of OK cover units.

Terry
09-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Ever since Cliff 'blood on his hands' Christl wrote that ridiculous piece, McGinn has been on a morality kick. It's a bit much.

Still, I find it hard to imagine someone driving naked through a drive-thru restaurant. Hilarious, but still hard to imagine.

It was interesting to see the Lions broken down like that. If anything, it increased my optimism. Maybe we will beat them after all. :smile:

Fritz
09-23-2006, 09:58 AM
To me it's all dependent upon Green Bay's offensive line. If they can create some holes for the running game, and give Favre time, the Packers can beat the Lions. But that's a big if.

The Lions' own offensive line is a mess, so this game may end up being one of those 13 - 10 deals. We'll see.

Go Pack!

RashanGary
09-23-2006, 10:10 AM
To me it's all dependent upon Green Bay's offensive line. If they can create some holes for the running game, and give Favre time, the Packers can beat the Lions. But that's a big if.

The Lions' own offensive line is a mess, so this game may end up being one of those 13 - 10 deals. We'll see.

Go Pack!

I agree Fritz. They have been doing OK pass protecting and the Packers passed 55 times so NO was probably coming full speed tward the end there. I think it's the run game that will make the difference. If our guys can start clearing out that cut back lane, we'll take that next step. You watch it happen though and guys act like they have no idea what is going on.

I have one play in my head; The OL is blocking right, the DL realizes its a run right and they all start sliding, filling every gap. The whole DL is just running to the right or their left, whatever. Well, it's obvious that the LG should be throwing down a cut block early to knock his guy on his ass and prevent him from doing anything and instead, he just stands there, Green cuts back and gets whacked by an unblocked DE. There is just no excuse for that. They need to cut early in the play when the DL are running laterally, this scheme is useless without it.

I think there is something about OL getting a feel for the game, they start to know how their defender is going ot attack and they keep them off balance. I don't knwo what the problem is exactly but they've got to get that fixed. Jags is my #1 guy that can either have a great career depending on how this run game takes off or he can fall on his face and never get a chance again. He's got a lot to lose. As far as I'm concerned, he better get that fixed. If not this week, it better happen soon or he's in hot water.

wist43
09-23-2006, 10:26 AM

Go Pack!

I also agree, but I don't think the Packers can run the ball... The Packers have a chance, but I think they'll find a way to lose.

Green Bay's coaching staff is looking more and more like a bad joke.

mraynrand
09-23-2006, 10:44 AM
If the Packers choose/are forced to play that 3-4 TE set with zero or one receiver running a pattern, like they did against Chicago, they might not make it across the 50 yard line. While I'd rather not see Favre have to throw the ball 55 times in Detroit, the simple fact is that he's still their best player on offense, and the 'establish the run' mentality, with their dismal O-line, is a recipe for another shutout.

BEARMAN
09-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Aren't you asking too much of that young(rookie) "O"line ? Pass block, protect farve, run block, protect farve, new coaches, new scheams, new players, wow. IMO, do one thing and do it well.

GO BEARS !

mraynrand
09-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree, Bearman. The Pack can pass the ball, but can't run it against a stout D-line. So they should pass first and run only to keep the D 'honest'

motife
09-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Green Bay's coaching staff is looking more and more like a bad joke.

Maybe Ted Thompson and John Jones will give McCarthy and his staff 9 years "on the job" training like they did Bart Starr.

Bart's complaint on being fired was that he finally knew what he was doing coaching.

As for Detroit, McCarthy said this was there best week of practice yet. On the downside, Ahman Green may not play. He probably will dress but his hamstring has kept him out of practice this week.

Terry
09-23-2006, 08:02 PM

Go Pack!
I'd say it all depends on our pass defensing (I don't say secondary, because I'm also including LB's). And on curing our defense's big play problems and 3rd down woes. Mind you, we did better on 3rd down last week than the Saints did, which was definitely progress.