PDA

View Full Version : Wells and Jenkins

Brando19
09-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers C Scott Wells is looking for long-term contract from the team. Wells is eligible to become a restricted free agent after the 2006 season.

Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers DL Cullen Jenkins is looking for long-term contract from the team. Jenkins is eligible to become a restricted free agent after the 2006 season.

I just found this on kffl.com.

K-town
09-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Seeking a better deal
Wells, Jenkins prove their worth on the field
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 22, 2006
Green Bay - Several times each week various National Football League teams reward deserving players with lucrative new contracts or contract extensions.

If and when the Green Bay Packers get around to extending a player, center Scott Wells and defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins each would like it to be him.

Wells and Jenkins, both of whom will turn 26 in January, share many common bonds.

They entered the NFL as undersized, unheralded long shots. They have been released once by the Packers but have battled their way into the starting lineup. And they're set to become the Packers' only restricted free agents after the season.

Neither Wells nor Jenkins had anything to do with the idea for this story. They answered questions only when asked. So far, neither player has heard a word from the team about a new contract.

"I try not to think about it," Jenkins said. "I let my agents worry about that stuff right now."

The Packers are $7.5 million beneath their adjusted salary cap of $103.7 million and are deeply enmeshed in the early stages of rebuilding. General manager Ted Thompson would like some players to have break-out seasons so he can feel confident giving them big new deals and use up some of the cap room.

Wells and Jenkins both know they have more to prove. Each, however, has the ability possibly to warrant a long-term commitment from the organization with continued growth during the next month or two of the regular season.

"I want to prove that I'm an integral part of the offense," Wells said Friday. "If they feel you're an important part of the offense, then they usually want to keep you and pay you to do that."

Wells, a seventh-round draft choice from Tennessee in 2004, received a $22,250 signing bonus. Waived on the final roster reduction early that September, Wells was signed to the practice squad the next day and then promoted to the active roster in early October.

He made two starts late in his rookie season, then two at center and the last eight at left guard in 2005. When Mike Flanagan signed with Houston in March, he became the starting center.

At this point, the Packers seem more than satisfied with Wells. With rookies starting at guard, he has been asked to assume a leadership and tutorial role that generally would be reserved for older players.

"This is my first year to be a full-time starter," he said. "I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. But right now I'm not worried about my contract. I've got a lot of time left and a lot of time in the off-season. Right now we just need to win games."

When this season is over, Wells will have made about $950,000 in three seasons. He and his wife, Julie, have one child and are expecting another this fall.

Jenkins has been overshadowed by his older brother, Kris, a defensive tackle for Carolina who was a Pro Bowl starter in 2003. But Cullen has been gaining notice on his own among NFL personnel people and coaches.

"He's got damn good quickness," a defensive line coach for another team said in an unsolicited remark at midweek. "He plays hard. He'd be perfect for us."

The element of Jenkins’ game that impressed the coach as well as others in the league is pass rush. He has been the Packers’ best interior pass rusher for three seasons.
On Sunday, Jenkins was shocked when football administration coordinator Matt Klein walked up to him a few minutes before kickoff to tell him he would be introduced with the defensive starters. Colin Cole, who started the opener, said Jenkins would start again Sunday in Detroit.

For Jenkins, who has two children with his wife and high school sweetheart, Pashun, every day in the NFL is a good one. After playing mostly defensive end at Central Michigan, Jenkins took a $2,000 signing bonus from the Packers in May 2003 when he wasn't drafted.

They let him go on the first major cut that summer and he was out of football in '03. After re-signing with Green Bay, he toiled in the NFL Europe League in spring 2004 and made it with the Packers that summer.

"(Aaron) Kampman and I talk about this," Jenkins said. "One of the big things is not to focus on that. If you think about it too much, it will affect how you play."

Jenkins will have been paid just less than $1 million for his three seasons. His next contract might be his last, but he knows that the Packers can always tender him this spring because he won't become an unrestricted free agent until March 2008.

"Especially having two kids, you'd like to be as secure financially as you can," Jenkins said. "Right now, I don't have any sacks but I have been a little disruptive in the backfield. I've just got to relax and play."

The last time during the regular season that the Packers gave a new contract to a player about to become a restricted free agent was December 2004. That’s when running back Tony Fisher signed a one-year, $660,000 deal with a $200,000 signing bonus.
The last time the Packers gave a contract extension to a player at the same point in his career was November 2002. That’s when tackle Mark Tauscher signed a six-year, $16.5 million deal with a $1.5 million signing bonus and $3.43 million more in roster bonuses.

"But I’m just playing game to game," Jenkins said. "Eventually, everything else will work out."

Pack0514
09-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Give it to them. We need consistancy on this team and I think these two guys give them it.

gbpackfan
09-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Let's give them extensions in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the season. Two games proves nothing to me.

vince
09-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Let's give them extensions in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the season. Two games proves nothing to me.
There's definitely time, and I think this situation is more a motivation than a distraction...

It seems to me that Wells has already proven to be an anchor in the middle of the young guys... I'd like to see Jenkins show more before we resign him...

Bretsky
09-23-2006, 07:26 AM
There's definitely time, and I think this situation is more a motivation than a distraction...

It seems to me that Wells has already proven to be an anchor in the middle of the young guys... I'd like to see Jenkins show more before we resign him...

These are both delicate situations; Wells was drafted late and Jenkins develped nicely as an undrafted guy. So neither has seen a big payday and both want it.

That being said, I'm not convinced either has earned it yet. Of course they want to get paid; but right now these are adequate starters for the Green Bay Packers.............but they don't start for a lot of teams out there, and I think they are below average right now compared to other starters at their positions. So it wouldnt' surprise me if Green Bay just plays the restricted game with them and watches them for another year.

Rastak
09-23-2006, 08:34 AM

These are both delicate situations; Wells was drafted late and Jenkins develped nicely as an undrafted guy. So neither has seen a big payday and both want it.

That being said, I'm not convinced either has earned it yet. Of course they want to get paid; but right now these are adequate starters for the Green Bay Packers.............but they don't start for a lot of teams out there, and I think they are below average right now compared to other starters at their positions. So it wouldnt' surprise me if Green Bay just plays the restricted game with them and watches them for another year.

Yea, I can see the logic in that. I suppose TT could refuse to match Wells and get a 3rd round pick or tender him higher to ensure nobody offers him much. If he lets him go he's starting over again though and that isn't a good thing.

RashanGary
09-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I think they are both good players and guys you want on your team. I'd say they are worth Marquand Manuel type $$ but not much more than that.

Jenkins would get paid by other teams. I'm not so sure Wells would garner as much attn on the market but Wells might be worth more to us if that says anything.

I don't think either is looking for a 10 million dollar bonus or anything but 2 mil bonus with a 5 yr 10 mil offer would probably be fair in the new inflated market. I would consider that enough money for each of them to never HAVE to work another day in their lives.

Jenkins has parents that I believe are educators. I think he's one of the guys who would do well with that type of money. Wells seems to have his head screwed on too. I'd be happy to see both of them in GB. I do want a stud DT really badly and even if we get one some day, Jenkins still has a valuable place as a 3rd down pass rusher for 4 or 5 years untill he loses his explosion. Shit...give the guys their money. It's worth 2 mil per year for 4 interior sacks and another 2 for a starting Center.

Fritz
09-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I hope the Packers wait and see until three or four games remain this season. I do think Wells has more value because it would be hell to start over again with another center, even a good one, because he has looked good, and because Jenkins is a one dimensional player.

chewy-bacca
09-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I found it funny that they kinda were trying to make us feel bad that they have only made 1 million in the past three years. I know its prob. below the avg. in the NFL, but c'mon.

mraynrand
09-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Since both of these guys were brought in by Sherman, it should be obvious that they aren't any good. They should look elsewhere for a longer contract. I say we show the door to other Sherman failures like we did with Javon Walker. Williams, Kampman, Barry, Harris, Carroll, Barnett, should all be let go. I like TT's top picks so much better. A-rod looks great holding that clipboard, Nick Collins looks spectacular, turning his hips TWICE covering a seventh round pick, Poppinga looks great in coverage, and Marquand Manuel looks terriffic misunderstanding his assignments. I especially like to see K-rob taking swings at other players after gaining 17 yards on a kickoff return. Clearly the best strategy for the Packers is to get rid of all Sherman guys and replace them with highly effective and competent TT guys. Oh, and for fun, hire a new coach, with a new offensive line blocking scheme that renders your two best offensive linemen completely ineffective.

RashanGary
09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Neither of these players are average or better. They are both servicable. Sherman only got 4 average or better starters. The rest suck

Kamp, Walker, Barnett...Wells maybe but he's done nothing to this point to show he's average. He's been poor.

Sherman getting fired as GM was the best move the Packers have made since hiring Ron Wolf, signing Reggie White and trading for Brett Favre.

He was a disgrace to this organization and drove them into the ground, buying time from future years along the way.

Yeah, these are examples of Shermans best work and neither are good players. That tells you something.

Patler
09-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't think anyone can argue that Sherman obtained NO serviceable starters, but it is easy to argue that he obtained far, far too few players that can contribute. Getting one or two each year is not even close to adequate in the NFL.

Tarlam!
09-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Pay 'em.

Brando19
09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Trade em for a dominant center in the NFL already.

mraynrand
09-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Kamp, Walker, Barnett...Wells maybe but he's done nothing to this point to show he's average. He's been poor.

What are you basing your assessment of Wells on?

Didn't you like Harris or Glenn. I bet you were excited by the Signing of Joe Johnson, too. Re-signing Clifton and Tauscher was also the right thing to do. The bottom line is that TT has gutted the Packers, and brought in a coaching staff that uses schemes that make our best players useless. He didn't need to do it, but was forced to because no one else wanted to come here. Not Linehan, not Childress. Why would they, knowing that they could be fired for four straight playoff appearances, three straight division championships and a .667 record as GM. And TT's crop of draftees are looking worthless. His #2 pick at safety can't cover a TE or a seventh round draft pick, and can't actually cover one on one. What a huge liability. His #1 draft pick can't beat out an aging interception machine at QB. Who knows - perhaps his #5 pick of the draft will actually work out - or it may be a situation where he learned from the Master (Ron Wolf) how to get zero value at #5 (Buckley) or with the #1 pick in the draft. John Michaels, Antwaun Edwards, Jamal Reynolds, Bubba Franks - those are great picks.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Why would they, knowing that they could be fired for four straight playoff appearances, three straight division championships and a .667 record as GM.

Did Sherman ever respond to any of your love letters?

Patler
09-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I would argue that any "gutting" of the Packers was done by TT's years in complete control during which he did not bring in nearly enough NFL calibre talent to sustain a competitive roster, inspite of some of his actions that were good.

I would rather miss on the first round pick and find four others who can contribute as starters, than find a very good first rounder and get nothing else.

With offense, defense, kickers, longsnapper, nickel and dime defenses and multiple offensive sets requiring extra WRs and TEs, a team really has about 30 "starters". Then you need a capable LB replacement, a 3rd DT and DE, another OT (or two) and an OG. You really need 35 or so key "contributers" on your team. To meet that, you have to average 4 or 5 new ones each year to cover retirements, injuries, FA losses and 1 or 2 year flameouts. If you go 3, 4 or 5 years falling well short of that, your roster gets progrssively weaker until a few key player losses (which EVERYONE has) or injuries makes you 4-12.

GB's last few winning seasons were enhanced greatly by a very weak division with no other team having a winning record during that time period. Look at the Packers record against winning teams under Sherman, it is quite unimpressive, and indicates that their record was a bit of a sham. They were really a middle class team, inspite of their winning percentage.

Bretsky
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM

What are you basing your assessment of Wells on?

Didn't you like Harris or Glenn. I bet you were excited by the Signing of Joe Johnson, too. Re-signing Clifton and Tauscher was also the right thing to do. The bottom line is that TT has gutted the Packers, and brought in a coaching staff that uses schemes that make our best players useless. He didn't need to do it, but was forced to because no one else wanted to come here. Not Linehan, not Childress. Why would they, knowing that they could be fired for four straight playoff appearances, three straight division championships and a .667 record as GM. And TT's crop of draftees are looking worthless. His #2 pick at safety can't cover a TE or a seventh round draft pick, and can't actually cover one on one. What a huge liability. His #1 draft pick can't beat out an aging interception machine at QB. Who knows - perhaps his #5 pick of the draft will actually work out - or it may be a situation where he learned from the Master (Ron Wolf) how to get zero value at #5 (Buckley) or with the #1 pick in the draft. John Michaels, Antwaun Edwards, Jamal Reynolds, Bubba Franks - those are great picks.

At the very least we should all be able to agree Wells is an unproven commodity.

As for Harris, I'd certainly have Harris than another busted Mike Sherman pick; hell he should have traded every pick away except his first rounders and we'd be a lot better off. I'd give that move a positive; but if I had faith Sherman could actually select the right 2nd round pick we'd also be well off with a good 2nd round pick.

As for Glenn, are you kidding ? What did the Glenn signing accomplish ? A stopgap ? Lost draft picks........which I guess really didn't mean anything anyways with Sherman's picks.

He brought in somebody who could have been a long term player, as he is with Dallas. He traded TWO fourth round draft picks. Then grossly overestimated the talent and development of Robert the Fraud Ferguson and figured the Fraud would beat Glenn out and Glenn would not like that.

FROM THE JS
" One source privy to the discussions between Gould and the Packers said it was "highly unlikely" Glenn would be back in Green Bay next season. But before the Packers void Glenn's contract by not paying the roster bonus, they must be certain that their two young receivers, Javon Walker and Robert Ferguson, are ready to play a major part in the offense.

They could bring him to camp and allow him to compete with Walker and Ferguson for a starting job opposite Donald Driver. But if he didn't win out, they would probably have to cut him because it's doubtful he would accept being a backup. ""

So he dealt that player....aka...the two fourth round draft picks....for ONE sixth rounder.

So whether we liked Glenn or not is mute; the whole dealings just goes to support the incompetency of Mike Sherman the GM even more.

B