PDA

View Full Version : Draft Chat with Todd McShay - Packers Ngata rumor...

gureski
04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
This just came in during a chat with Scouts inc writer, Todd McShay. It's so interesting that I'm posting it now instead of waiting for the chat to end...

Jim (DeWitt, IA): Do you think the Packers could land Mario Williams with the 5th pick? Who do you see them getting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Todd McShay: (1:38 PM ET ) It doesn't look like it, Jim. I think M. Williams will be off the board in the top-4 picks -- most likely to the Saints at No. 2. If that's the case, I think the Packers will go with OSU OLB A.J. Hawk. He's a good value and he would upgrade their LB corps considerably.

Todd McShay: (1:40 PM ET ) One rumor beginning to circulate, by the way, is Haloti Ngata to the Packers at No. 5. It would make some sense considering the awful run defense a year ago and the lack of depth at that position now with Pickett and Jenkins as the starters.

gureski
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
And another Packers blurb...

Ryan (DePere, WI): In your Mock you have the Packers taking Thomas Howard in the 2nd, would that change if they took AJ Hawk in the 1st? Who would they then take with that 2nd pick? TAMBA HALI?

Todd McShay: (1:51 PM ET ) It would. I'm actually working on that scenario today. Assuming Hawk in the first round, I then think they'll either go with a DE like Hali in the second round or a DT like Texas' Rod Wright or Michigan's Gabe Watson.

gureski
04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Full chat from Sportsnation of ESPN.com...

John (Portland, ME): Jack Bauer would have found him by now.

Todd McShay: (1:27 PM ET ) Don't sell buzzmaster short...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill-New Orleans, LA: What is your skinny on the Saints pick?

Todd McShay: (1:28 PM ET ) I continue to hear that the Saints are blowing smoke regarding Leinart. They're trying to bait teams (Tenn, NYJ, Oak, etc) into trading up for the 2nd pick. So far, it's not working.

Todd McShay: (1:28 PM ET ) I also hear that if the Saints get stuck at No. 2 it's NC State DE Mario Williams all the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tc (toronto): Who do you thing is going to be the guy who falls out of the top 10 - there's always someone each year?

Todd McShay: (1:30 PM ET ) I could see Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler falling -- possibly all the way to the Vikes at 17. He's a good QB and a potential future starter, but he's not as good as some hype.

Todd McShay: (1:31 PM ET ) Why would the Cardinals draft Cutler at 10 anyway? D. Green is building for the next couple of years, not for the long-term future. Drafting Cutler doesn't help that goal.

Todd McShay: (1:32 PM ET ) The Ravens and Dolphins are also looking for QB's, but not in the first round. The problem with Cutler is that he needs polishing, which means he'll need a couple of years to develop. If I'm going to spend time developing a guy it will be Vince Young over Cutler any day of the week!

Mike (Ephrata, PA): In my mind Ngata is the class of the DT class. Do you see the Eagles having to trade up from 14 to get him?

Todd McShay: (1:33 PM ET ) I disagree. I would go with B. Bunkley over Ngata. However, contrary to popular belief, I've heard within the last 24 hours that Buffalo is leaning towards Ngata over Bunkley should it draft a DT in the first round.

bc (chicago): If both QBs are available, do the Titans choose Leinart or Young?

Todd McShay: (1:35 PM ET ) Leinart. According to a source I spoke with close to the situation, Young is a smoke-screen in order to lull the Jets, Raiders, etc. asleep. So long as teams think the Titans want Young, there won't be as much interest to trade up ahead of Tenn. into the No. 2 spot.

Steve (NJ): If the Jets take a QB instead of Ferguson at #4, who will be around at #29 or #35 to be the LT for the present and future?

Todd McShay: (1:37 PM ET ) If the Jets wind up with a QB at No. 4, which is not a very likely scenario, I think they'll go with a RB (L. Maroney or L. White) at #29 and then get an OT like Eric Winston (Miami-FL) at pick No. 35.

Jim (DeWitt, IA): Do you think the Packers could land Mario Williams with the 5th pick? Who do you see them getting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Todd McShay: (1:38 PM ET ) It doesn't look like it, Jim. I think M. Williams will be off the board in the top-4 picks -- most likely to the Saints at No. 2. If that's the case, I think the Packers will go with OSU OLB A.J. Hawk. He's a good value and he would upgrade their LB corps considerably.

Todd McShay: (1:40 PM ET ) One rumor beginning to circulate, by the way, is Haloti Ngata to the Packers at No. 5. It would make some sense considering the awful run defense a year ago and the lack of depth at that position now with Pickett and Jenkins as the starters.

randy (jacksonville, FL): Why is Pat Watkins not being mentioned in the first 3 rounds. He has great size and speed!

Todd McShay: (1:42 PM ET ) I think Watkins fits in the mid-to-late third round range. He has room to improve in terms of his technique and tackling angles, but he has great size/speed to go along with his ball skills. This is a deep DS class, though. He's in a long line of Michael Huff, Jason Allen, Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Daniel Bullocks, Darnell Bing and Danieal Manning.

jorge ( pa): What's the word on Bush? I hear he may not go number one. If he doesn't go one where does he go and does that start some trading to get him?

Todd McShay: (1:44 PM ET ) That rumor has begun to circultate, but I'm not buying it. The Texans brought in M. Williams for 2 reasons: 1) In case they trade down, and 2) In order to gain some sort of leverage in the contract negotiations with Bush's agent, Joel Segal.

Todd McShay: (1:45 PM ET ) I have heard that the Jets are aggressively seaking a trade with the Texans b/c they want Bush. However, it would take an awful lot to get the Texans to budge -- picks No.'s 4, 29, 35 and possibly another 3rd rounder thrown in there.

Fredo (Boston, MA): In what round and to what team do you see Will Blackmon going? Is he a first day draft choice?

Todd McShay: (1:47 PM ET ) He will come off the board late on Day 1. Blackmon is hurt by his lack of a true position but his versatilty and athleticism make him intriguing. I think his best fit in the NFL will be as a sub-package WR and also as a RS.

chad(san antonio): Let's say the Texans are able to trade down, would Vince Young be a possible pick say at 4 or 5?

Todd McShay: (1:48 PM ET ) No chance. If the Texans trade down it will be with the mindset of drafting either DE M. Williams or OT D. Ferguson.

sal md: what do the indy colts do at 30

Todd McShay: (1:49 PM ET ) Pray that a RB slips to them. LenDale White is a possibility because of his hammy injury and awful post-season. However, I still think the Panthers will take White at 27 if he's available. L. Maroney is not out of the question, either.

Ryan (DePere, WI): In your Mock you have the Packers taking Thomas Howard in the 2nd, would that change if they took AJ Hawk in the 1st? Who would they then take with that 2nd pick? TAMBA HALI?

Todd McShay: (1:51 PM ET ) It would. I'm actually working on that scenario today. Assuming Hawk in the first round, I then think they'll either go with a DE like Hali in the second round or a DT like Texas' Rod Wright or Michigan's Gabe Watson.

Bryan (Duluth, MN): Who do you think the vikings take a 17?

Todd McShay: (1:54 PM ET ) The Vikings would take advantage if Cutler slipped to them, but I can't see them trading much away in order to move up for a QB. I think they'll ultimately stay put and go with the best available LB or DB. Some possibilities include Iowa OLB Chad Greenway, Va. Tech DC Jimmy Williams and Ohio State DB Donte Whitner.

Evan (DC): What do you think the redskins will do with their second round pick?

Todd McShay: (1:56 PM ET ) They'll probably trade it away for a veteran. No, in all seriousness, the Redskins have needs at linebacker, defensive line and offensie guard. UTEP OLB Thomas Howard, Texas DT Rodrique Wright, Maryland ILB D'Qwell Jackson and Oklahoma OG Davin Joseph are some possibilities.

rich (detroit): i have seen a lot of mock drafts having huff go to the lions, but is there any chance he could go as early as 5 and be gone by the time detroit picks?

Todd McShay: (1:57 PM ET ) I think the earliest Huff could go is No. 6 to the 49ers. He won't slip past the Cardinals at 10, either. If Huff does go 6 to the 49ers and if Vince Young goes 7 to the Raiders, then the Bills would have a tough decision between TE Vernon Davis and DT H. Ngata.

Todd McShay: (1:58 PM ET ) If the Bills go with DT Ngata, then I think the Lions would go with TE Davis even though it's not a huge need.

Johnny (SD): Are the Chargers thinking about trading up in the draft? If not, who do you see as the best fit for them at 19?

Todd McShay: (2:00 PM ET ) The only player I've heard the Chargers rumored to move up for is Winston Justice, OT, USC. I don't think they'll wind up making that move, though. I see the Chargers going with the best available defensive back at 19 -- such as Jimmy Williams, Donte Whitner or Jonathan Joseph. They also could pull the trigger on a wide receiver if Chad Jackson and/or Santonio Holmes slips to them.

Todd McShay: (2:01 PM ET ) That's all for today, folks. I'm sorry for jumping on late. We'll make up for lost time next week. In the meantime, check out my updated 7-Round Mock Draft on ESPN.com tomorrow. I'm sure it will give you plenty of ammo for complaints a week from now. Be well...

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd be shocked if they drafted Ngata. Bunkley could very well get drafted before Ngata--depending on what type of DT a team needed.

Outsiders see our roster and think we have a serious need at DT.

People close to the team realize the play of the DTs wasn't bad last year, and we have a lot of young guys.

We know more. We're fine with Pickett, Cole, Williams, Jenkins, Peterson, and possibly Washington.

GoPackGo
04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
didn't Bunkley bench 225lbs. 44 times?

Guiness
04-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Todd McShay: (1:58 PM ET ) If the Bills go with DT Ngata, then I think the Lions would go with TE Davis even though it's not a huge need.

If this happens, I'm likely to spit beer out of my nose! Essentially using their first rounder on a receiver for the 4th year running!!!
Wow, if any organization could do it though, it'd be them.
(note to self: do not drink scotch while Detroit is drafting)

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Ouch--that'll burn all your nosehairs off!

KYPack
04-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd be shocked if they drafted Ngata. Bunkley could very well get drafted before Ngata--depending on what type of DT a team needed.

Outsiders see our roster and think we have a serious need at DT.

People close to the team realize the play of the DTs wasn't bad last year, and we have a lot of young guys.

We know more. We're fine with Pickett, Cole, Williams, Jenkins, Peterson, and possibly Washington.

Ngata shocked me when I saw him play. After all the hype, I expected a dynamo. He was actually pretty pedestrian. His forte is space eating. He'll two gap ya all day long. But he has virtually no pass rush. He really rarely penetrates and when he does, it's a matter of a couple feet.

At the end of the game, he limped off & there was a report that he was hurt. I'd give the kid the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was trying to play tough.

I caught Bunkley last year and was amazed how soft he can be He's got a pro body, but tough guards and centers drive block him all the time. Guy is fast and super strong, but he's a kid you'd be shaking the dice on.

Neither of these guys is fifth pick in the draft material.

I'd gamble on Gabe Watson being there with our 3rd pic.

(although I'd doubt he'll be there.)

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 02:46 PM
If we drafted Ngata, I think I'd have to find out where Thompson's dog is.

oregonpackfan
04-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Harvey,

I truly respect animals, but if the Packers draft Ngata with their first pick, I might join you on the "Dog Safari."

Though Ngata played for the Oregon Ducks, I just don't think the inconsistentcy he displayed merits a first round pick for ANY NFL team. A few weeks ago, he admitted in the local paper that he would "Take off a few plays here and there" when Pro Scouts at the combine asked him about his effort.

If the Packers draft him, Ngata would last with the team about as long as Cletidus Hunt and James Lee lasted.

Oregonpackfan

Harlan Huckleby
04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
I think TT is not plugging specific holes with the draft. He's taking best player to build long term.

But if you look at the Packers roster, most of the young guys with potential are on the defensive side.

Who are the future stars on offense?
Maybe Samkon. The young offensive linemen are reaches.

I think Thompson has got to be awfully tempted to get an offensive player, Vince Young or Davis. Or trade down and get a lineman and WR.

Bretsky
04-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Harvey,

I truly respect animals, but if the Packers draft Ngata with their first pick, I might join you on the "Dog Safari."

Though Ngata played for the Oregon Ducks, I just don't think the inconsistentcy he displayed merits a first round pick for ANY NFL team. A few weeks ago, he admitted in the local paper that he would "Take off a few plays here and there" when Pro Scouts at the combine asked him about his effort.

If the Packers draft him, Ngata would last with the team about as long as Cletidus Hunt and James Lee lasted.

Oregonpackfan

I'M WITH YOU GUYS; I"VE SAID FOR WEEKS NGATA IS THE ONE GUY I DON"T WANT

KYPack
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I think TT is not plugging specific holes with the draft. He's taking best player to build long term.

But if you look at the Packers roster, most of the young guys with potential are on the defensive side.

Who are the future stars on offense?
Maybe Samkon. The young offensive linemen are reaches.

I think Thompson has got to be awfully tempted to get an offensive player, Vince Young or Davis. Or trade down and get a lineman and WR.

There is a solid chance that Young will be available at our 5th pick. If he is, I'm reasonably sure TT will grab him.

Others have mentioned that Thompson will want to do something that no one expects so he puts his stamp on the team.

Given this scenario, does everyone think Brett would retire?

(Bulldog, no need to answer)

Also agree it would be time to fire up the "Dan Devine honorary dog patrol" if TT drafts Ngata.

K-town
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I could not agree to any permanent harm coming to TTs dog. I am not opposed, however, to shaving said pooch. Better yet, if we draft Ngata, how 'bout we shave Ted? A bald polar bear.
Eeeewwww.

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 09:11 PM
You can do better than the dog. Shoot a hole in his swimming pool liner thereby causing a leak that will drain the pool and flood his house in the process. Just make sure his dog's not outside or you might get bit.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
The Polar Bear has a swimming pool? Shit, I thought he lived at the stadium.

b bulldog
04-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Hopefully, I couldn't resist :razz:

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Then why would you think he has a dog?

I don't know if the man has a swimming pool...I live a thousand miles away!

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Then why would you think he has a dog?

I don't know if the man has a swimming pool...I live a thousand miles away!

He can keep a dog at the stadium. I wouldn't be as funny to reference an old Dan Devine myth otherwise.
:D