PDA

View Full Version : GMs

MJZiggy
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
If you could hire ANYONE in the entire NFL to be the General Manager of your team, who would you choose?

Bretsky
09-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Are you talking "JUST GM" cause some are now both coach and GM. It'd be nuts for anybody not to want Bellichek as a coach and if he's part of the package I want Bill and I'd take him as coach/GM and let him get his assistant to run the show.

pbmax
09-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Pioli, as he seems to land pretty good prospects each year.

Alternatively, whoever is in charge of drafting for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

digitaldean
09-23-2006, 09:35 PM
If you could hire ANYONE in the entire NFL to be the General Manager of your team, who would you choose?

Not in any order....
1. Bill Polian, Colts
2. Scott Pioli, Patriots
3. Carl Peterson, Chiefs
4. Rich McKay, Falcons

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I think that no name in Carolina has done a great job of building some serious talent. He took over following the Panthers 1-15 season four years ago.

MJZiggy
09-23-2006, 09:40 PM
B, I didn't mean either over the other, though after watching both Sherman and Holmgren struggle with double duties, I might think to want them separate. I just got to wondering so thought it might be interesting to discuss. So you'd take Belichick even if he had to stop coaching? I wonder if he'd take off the sweatshirt for executive meetings. :smile:

digitaldean
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
I think that no name in Carolina has done a great job of building some serious talent. He took over following the Panthers 1-15 season four years ago.

For what it's worth... his name is Marty Hurney. Oddly enough, he was a former sportswriter for the Washington Star and Washington Times.

Bretsky
09-23-2006, 09:51 PM
B, I didn't mean either over the other, though after watching both Sherman and Holmgren struggle with double duties, I might think to want them separate. I just got to wondering so thought it might be interesting to discuss. So you'd take Belichick even if he had to stop coaching? I wonder if he'd take off the sweatshirt for executive meetings. :smile:

My logic, or lack of it, is the opposite. I'd give it to Bellichek so we can get him as a coach. He'd be smart enough to surround him with talent evaluators.

With that said, I'd go with Pioli and Polian.

And honestly, when I thought of GM's I'd like to have that are anit rebuilding, the first that comes to mind was the Carolina guy as well.

I like a guy who will know exactly what he wants, and gets it done.

In my Fantasy football auction leagues, I have no problem overspending some for a player if it's part of my plan, and I still win with that. It's not always about getting values; if you dedicate yourself to that than mediocrity will often become the norm.

That's also why I have no problem with the Hutchinson signing. The Vikings knew what they were doing, and they got it done. Right or wrong in their evaluation of how much to value him, I admire that.

pbmax
09-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Its all about Moneyball, Bretsky.

Its exploiting market inefficiencies to get players at value.

Then using your newly bulging bank account to get what you need.

But in the NFL, you have to have the draft choices pan out, or you will forever be paying over market value for everything you missed on.

Packnut
09-23-2006, 11:15 PM

My logic, or lack of it, is the opposite. I'd give it to Bellichek so we can get him as a coach. He'd be smart enough to surround him with talent evaluators.

With that said, I'd go with Pioli and Polian.

And honestly, when I thought of GM's I'd like to have that are anit rebuilding, the first that comes to mind was the Carolina guy as well.

I like a guy who will know exactly what he wants, and gets it done.

In my Fantasy football auction leagues, I have no problem overspending some for a player if it's part of my plan, and I still win with that. It's not always about getting values; if you dedicate yourself to that than mediocrity will often become the norm.

That's also why I have no problem with the Hutchinson signing. The Vikings knew what they were doing, and they got it done. Right or wrong in their evaluation of how much to value him, I admire that.

Anytime the Vikes need a yard, they run behind Hutch and get it. You can't put a price on that. That was the best FA move by anyone. We use to have a guy named Wahle that you could run behind anytime and get a yard. :mrgreen:

Patler
09-24-2006, 12:05 AM
We use to have a guy named Wahle that you could run behind anytime and get a yard. :mrgreen:

Not exactly true. More often than not when they needed a yard they went to the right side, behind Rivera and Tauscher.

Wahle's forte is pulling, blocking on the move, blocking in space. Plus, run blocking has always been Clifton's weakest area, also encouraging the Packers to go to the right when they needed a yard..

All in all, I think Wahle's years in GB get better and better the longer he is gone! :lol: Some you you write as if he never missed a block and played forever, when in actuality he WAS the weak link in the O-line the first few years he started, and only became a fairly good pass blocker his last two years in GB. Before that, he benefitted greatly from being between Clifton and Flanagan in pass protection. Even now is not in the same level as a guy like Hutchinson who dominates people. Wahle wins his battles, but doesn't necessarily dominate.

I'm not knocking the guy, he is among the best in the league, but he is not another Hutchinson. He made the Pro-Bowl for the first time last year, probably as much for the notoriety he gained from his contract as for any improvement in his play. At that, he made it only as an injury replacement.

Yes, I would take him in a heartbeat, but we agonize about his loss way too much on here, and we sometimes imagine him to be more than he was..