PDA

View Full Version : Packers O-Line.

gbpackfan
09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
The Packers young O-Line did an EXCELLENT job protecting Brett today. Shaun Rodgers' name was never really mentioned when it came to pressuring Brett. We rip on them all the time so I thought it was only right to give them "props" when they do well.

They need some more work in run blocking but there is def. improvement.

And if you guys taped the game, go back and watch Colledge on Green's TD reception. His block was AWESOME!

The Leaper
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
The OL is not going to be good this year...but it looks like they can be adequate. This team is not going to be able to run the ball like McCarthy wants to. He is going to have to pass it to set up the run...and it looks like he has already figured that out. Use screens and underneath routes basically as running plays...because the OL has been good in that regard.

Besides, Ahman Green can't hold onto a football if his life depended on it.

Homer Jay
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I think today we saw the true west coast offense. Short passes used as runs. Eat up the clock and move the chains. Brett was a surgeon. Too bad he can't relax and enjoy himself.

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
That was sarcasm, right Homer? He was running around like a little kid out there and it was great to see.

gbpackfan
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
The OL is not going to be good this year...but it looks like they can be adequate. This team is not going to be able to run the ball like McCarthy wants to. He is going to have to pass it to set up the run...and it looks like he has already figured that out. Use screens and underneath routes basically as running plays...because the OL has been good in that regard.

Besides, Ahman Green can't hold onto a football if his life depended on it.

I want to see the young guys improve each week. I saw that today. I'm happy.

Homer Jay
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
That was sarcasm, right Homer? He was running around like a little kid out there and it was great to see.

Sarcasm at its very worst. The guy is simply amazing. I don't know how anybody can watch him play and say he should retire. My favorite play of the day was the reverse that didn't work. Brett couldn't wait to find somebody to block. I'm too old to have sports heroes, but in #4's case I make an exception.

red
09-24-2006, 04:22 PM
they did a good job of protecting brett, but the new ZBS still looks like its a long ways from being grasped by the line

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I was amazed to find out that Ahman had 131 total yards to go along with his TD. That fumble was inexcusable though.

hawaii50
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
i agree on the line. kudos to them. like i tell everyone, if the line can block for brett and give him time he'll have many days like this. we saw it in the preseason vs. atlanta, a little bit last week and all day today. when the guy isn't rushed he can get into his rhythm and is hard to stop. for people who hate on brett favre and say he's lost it they need to watch these games.

the success of the packers on offense will rely on whether they can consistently give favre time in the pocket , i think the ZBS will get better by mid to late season.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 06:11 PM
i agree on the line. kudos to them. like i tell everyone, if the line can block for brett and give him time he'll have many days like this. we saw it in the preseason vs. atlanta, a little bit last week and all day today. when the guy isn't rushed he can get into his rhythm and is hard to stop. for people who hate on brett favre and say he's lost it they need to watch these games.

the success of the packers on offense will rely on whether they can consistently give favre time in the pocket , i think the ZBS will get better by mid to late season.

Jags said it took the Falcons until about game 5 of their first year for them to really get the ZBS. It very well coach be "coachspeak," but it will be interesting to see if the run blocking gets better as the year goes on. I know one thing though: the interior OL is pass blocking much better than last year. The run blocking is about the same (which means it's been pretty shitty), but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to improve at it.

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Jags said it took the Falcons until about game 5 of their first year for them to really get the ZBS. It very well coach be "coachspeak," but it will be interesting to see if the run blocking gets better as the year goes on. I know one thing though: the interior OL is pass blocking much better than last year. The run blocking is about the same (which means it's been pretty shitty), but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to improve at it.

I don't know how well-versed you are in OL play, but a thing that I have noticed with the pass-protection is it appears to be much better than Denver and Atlantas. Jake Plummer routinely is forced to bootleg due to having too much pressure put on him. The same can be said with Michael Vick obviously. I read something last year in an article about the Packers switching blocking schemes about how it would require a more mobile quarterback, due to some of the shortcomings of using smaller, "more athletic" linemen.

To me, it seems like Favre is getting pretty good time. Definitely better than Denver and Atlanta. Perhaps it is because Favre can dance in the pocket pretty well and stays in there until the last possible second (more experienced player; he can anticipate the pressure better), but at the same time it could be because we have players that are simply better at pass protection than other teams running the scheme.

Regardless, I think there is a lot to be positive about OL wise. Colledge didn't look great, but he didn't look awful either. My guess is he keeps the starting spot for now. Moll looks like he is going to be a good player. That really, really, really surprises me. I thought it was a move of desperation to pencil him in at guard against the great defensive tackles of our division. So far, he has performed pretty well again the pass (where they're truly dangerous) and slightly better than I imagined against the run.

It's probably just the homer in me giddie over a win, but I see some serious potential on this line and I think it will be pretty damn good by the time training camp rolls around next year.

KYPack
09-24-2006, 06:32 PM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers"][quote=hawaii50]
Regardless, I think there is a lot to be positive about OL wise. Colledge didn't look great, but he didn't look awful either. My guess is he keeps the starting spot for now. Moll looks like he is going to be a good player. That really, really, really surprises me. I thought it was a move of desperation to pencil him in at guard against the great defensive tackles of our division. So far, he has performed pretty well again the pass (where they're truly dangerous) and slightly better than I imagined against the run.

It's probably just the homer in me giddie over a win, but I see some serious potential on this line and I think it will be pretty damn good by the time training camp rolls around next year.

I thought before the year that the best thing would be to put one or more of these kids on the practice squad, sign a vet or two and get 'em some seasoning. Moll was the guy I felt needed a year in an NFL weight room and more maturity. He has grown far beyond my wildest dreams.

I think TT is too Kid crazy, but he may surprise me and hit on more of these babies than you normally would.

Face it, he got two rubies in Hawk and Jennings.

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:35 PM
[quote=HarveyWallbangers][quote=hawaii50]

I thought before the year that the best thing would be to put one or more of these kids on the practice squad, sign a vet or two and get 'em some seasoning. Moll was the guy I felt needed a year in an NFL weight room and more maturity. He has grown far beyond my wildest dreams.

I think TT is too Kid crazy, but he may surprise me and hit on more of these babies than you normally would.

Face it, he got two rubies in Hawk and Jennings.

I would throw Moll is with Hawk and Jennings as well. He looks like a player thus far, especially in pass blocking.

Joemailman
09-24-2006, 06:44 PM
It will be interesting to see what MM does when Spitz is ready to come back. My sense is that Spits may be a better run blocker than Moll and Colledge, but not as good of a pass blocker.

BallHawk
09-24-2006, 06:55 PM
This O-line did a great job of pass protection. They need to work on the run blocking, though. It was ok, but the longest run we had all day was 8 yards. I'm not saying to be succesful we need to get a 50 yard run every game, but some big runs would help.

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:59 PM
This O-line did a great job of pass protection. They need to work on the run blocking, though. It was ok, but the longest run we had all day was 8 yards. I'm not saying to be succesful we need to get a 50 yard run every game, but some big runs would help.

I agree with this. I must say though, I was pretty impressed with how M3's game plan today really didn't require much running. Instead of physically rushing the ball, it had a ton of short dink and dunk high percentage passes. In my eyes, that is very reminiscant of how Holmgren used to do it when his lines weren't exactly great.

VegasPackFan
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Maybe some of our run problems have to do with our RB situation. If you ASSUME that Green has lost something, then you can see that we have no one else that could really threaten a defense.

Good pass blocking, though. Favre was rarely challenged today.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Maybe some of our run problems have to do with our RB situation. If you ASSUME that Green has lost something, then you can see that we have no one else that could really threaten a defense.

Good pass blocking, though. Favre was rarely challenged today.

Did you see the run blocking? Ahman got every yard he could, and then some. There was very little out there to be had by him or Morency.

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I noticed that we seem to very rarely try to bounce it outside to the sideline. Is that something with the scheme or maybe we should try clogging up all the defenders in the middle and then letting them work toward the sidelines, especially on some of the slower lines. Or is it just my imaination, but I could swear...

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
One of the schemes I saw them use to great success was bringing Franks in motion and essentially setting him up as a FB. Then he stays home if a blitz comes, but goes out on a pattern if there is just 4 guys coming. Both he and Herron/Green can then come out of the backfield on delayed, short patterns. Great concept and worked very, very well today.

Partial
09-24-2006, 08:42 PM
One of the schemes I saw them use to great success was bringing Franks in motion and essentially setting him up as a FB. Then he stays home if a blitz comes, but goes out on a pattern if there is just 4 guys coming. Both he and Herron/Green can then come out of the backfield on delayed, short patterns. Great concept and worked very, very well today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something that Joe Gibbs is known for and had a great deal of success with?

Packers4Ever
09-24-2006, 08:57 PM

Sarcasm at its very worst. The guy is simply amazing. I don't know how anybody can watch him play and say he should retire. My favorite play of the day was the reverse that didn't work. Brett couldn't wait to find somebody to block. I'm too old to have sports heroes, but in #4's case I make an exception.

Homer you are never too old to have a sports' hero, and who better
than Brett Favre? I loved it when he was jumping up and down today
after TD's, grinning and just having a blast. It was HIS kind of game!

pbmax
09-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something that Joe Gibbs is known for and had a great deal of success with?
H backs don't block DTs though, and usually aren't kept in except max protect.

And he turned his offense over the Al Saunders this year.

Partial
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Correct, but didn't he like to bring in a big TE as a fullback, and two more TEs on the line and run out of the I.

wist43
09-24-2006, 09:34 PM
They can't run the ball to save their lives...

Pass blocking looked pretty good... I must admit that I'm shocked they're not giving up 12 sacks/gm.

Not being able to run the ball will eventually catch up with them though...

pbmax
09-24-2006, 09:42 PM

Correct, but didn't he like to bring in a big TE as a fullback, and two more TEs on the line and run out of the I.
Yes, on running downs, the H-Back would come in and lead block or block down.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I wonder if Spitz gets his starting job back. My guess: yes.

RashanGary
09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Colledge Spitz and Moll look alot better than anything we had last year. This is just a good all around sign for the future of the GB Packers.

We can keep whoevers healthier between Tausch and Clifton and be all set for quite some time. Colledge can play the other Tackle position and Moll/Spitz/Wells are on teh interior.

I don't think we have superstars but I think we have 6 good ones and over time, 5 of them can learn to play together. The nice thing is that if one guy goes down, Colledge is right there to jump in at whatever position and we won't lose much. LT LG...If C goes down, Spitz slides over. RG, RT..I think we'd be OK with 1 major injury.

I'll give Jags a ton of credit, the guys looked prepared in their pass pro. They were never really confused. That is pretty unusual from what we're used to.

Hawk
Jennings
Colledge
Spitz
Hodge
Moll

There is a really good chance that all of those guys are good starters. That is 6 in one draft with a good chance that one is a playmaker. We also have Blackmon, Jolly and Culver. One of those guys could pan out well too. This might be looked back at as the best draft we've ever witnessed. It's a little early, but I've really liked what I've seen out of a lot of those guys.

RashanGary
09-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I wonder if Spitz gets his starting job back. My guess: yes.

I think so too. I kind of like Colledge as a backup. He's more flexible with the OT/OG thing and Cliftons health.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Colledge Spitz and Moll look alot better than anything we had last year.

I agree. Well, the run blocking is still about the same, but the pass blocking has come along. I like the look of the rookies. And Wells is really performing.

I want to see Spitz get his starting job back. I think we're gonna need Colledge as a reserve to backup ALL of the O-line positions. Colledge will play a lot this year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:26 PM
I think so too. I kind of like Colledge as a backup. He's more flexible with the OT/OG thing and Cliftons health.

right. Cliffy look iffy.

Homer Jay
09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Much was made of TT's failure to address the O line in the off season. Steve Hutchinson's name was mentioned.

With his $49 mil contract the Vikings have now scored 2 offensive touchdowns in 3 games and haven't scored an offensive TD since the 3rd quarter of the first game.

No doubt there will be some rough times, but I like how things are looking.

run pMc
09-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Not being able to run the ball will eventually catch up with them though...

I agree. When the frost gathers on the field, a run game is going to be critical. I'm hoping the ZBS gets sorted out by then, but it could be ugly all season long. At least the passing game is working.

With smaller OL, having a QB with mobility and good pocket awareness is key. A big fat DT like Pat Williams is gonna bull rush a guy like Wells all day.

I'm worried more about our OT than I thought I'd be. I think long-term we're in good hands with the rooks on the line. GB still needs depth though. I wonder how much Clifton's knees have left, and I bet Sapp's cheapshot is still probably affecting him. Tauscher's smart enough, but I don't consider him a great athlete and he's getting older too.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Clifton bounced back with a solid game today. Those DEs (and DTs) have given us fits in the past in their dome.

ahaha
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
This line isn't making many bonehead mistakes. Last year, they had serious problems with missing blitzers, not blocking the right guy on stunts, and commiting way too many false start and holding penalties. Next week will be a real test. The Eagles defense really tries to confuse an offensive line with a wide variety of stunts and disguised blitzes.