PDA

View Full Version : Vikes - No Offensive TD's For 9 Quarters

Scott Campbell
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
PFT

VIKES CAN'T FINAGLE AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN

The Minnesota Vikings have gone more than nine quarters, plus half of an overtime period, without scoring an offensive touchdown, a total of 152 minutes and 17 seconds of futility.

Along the way, the Vikings scored enough points over the last quarter-and-a-half of the Week One game to pull away from the Redskins, beat the Panthers in the fifth quarter, and nearly outscore the Bears. But for a late fumble by Chester Taylor that was converted into a touchdown by Chicago, the Vikes would be 3-0 notwithstanding a chronic inability to generate six-pointers on offense.

The only two touchdowns that Minnesota has scored were on a fake field goal, and a short interception return by Antoine Winfield.

The come-from-behind win by the Bears puts them in sole possession of first place in the NFC North. Chicago has beaten the Packers, Lions, and Bears to start the season. They'll face a stiff test next Sunday night, when the Seahawks swoop in to Soldier Field.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2006, 04:47 PM
My take?

Longwell's going to wish he was getting paid by the kick.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
My take?

Longwell's going to wish he was getting paid by the kick.

My take ...2-1 against three good teams...but they do need to get their shit together offensively. Hicks is hurt and Hutchinson missed some time today.

Longwell's money though, I do love that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Rayner is money too.
:D

I like the kickoffs to the goalline. It's really helping our field position.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Rayner is money too.
:D

I like the kickoffs to the goalline. It's really helping our field position.

Longwell had one 3 yards deep and another near the goal line. His kickoffs weren't bad today. They haven't been the greatest thus far this season but he was OK today.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:51 PM
You didn't see the game today, Rastak, but our special teams were pretty tight. Ryan had a great game--although his last one wasn't great. Rayner made his FG and kicked off solidly. Most were to about the 1 yard line with good hang time, and we had good coverage on a very tough return man, Drummond. I think he broke one kickoff back for about 40 yards, but we were solid otherwise.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Ryan average 50 yards/punt, and the Lions only averaged 6 yards/return. His hang times were solid in this game.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 05:53 PM
You didn't see the game today, Rastak, but our special teams were pretty tight. Ryan had a great game--although his last one wasn't great. Rayner made his FG and kicked off solidly. Most were to about the 1 yard line with good hang time, and we had good coverage on a very tough return man, Drummond. I think he broke one kickoff back for about 40 yards, but we were solid otherwise.

Yea, I was watching the scoreboard and you guys were lighting it up. On the road, props to McCarthy and his team. The Lions do suck but a road win is a road win.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Yea, I was watching the scoreboard and you guys were lighting it up. On the road, props to McCarthy and his team. The Lions do suck but a road win is a road win.

The Lions held the Seahawks to 9. Their defense should have posed a stiff test.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 06:02 PM

The Lions held the Seahawks to 9. Their defense should have posed a stiff test.

Very true, they actually look solid as hell against the Seahawks. Then again the Bears just unloaded on them and the Bears offense was held mainly in check today. All of which means...who the hell knows what will happen from week to week.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
When you consider that they've been bad for many years and they still always play well against us in their dome (it's their Super Bowl), it's a good victory. Really, I'd say about 60-70% of the team was encouraging. Special teams, pass blocking, run defense (for the most part) were solid. Run blocking was spotty. Pass defense stunk. We looked lost on some coverage and we didn't get much of a pass rush. We'll see. At least, there are some things to be encouraged about. Run blocking could get better as our OL feel more comfortable in the scheme and our young OGs get more experience. I can't explain pass defense though. I suspect our pass rush won't be stellar at any point this year, but we have the personnel to cover better. Not sure if we have the defensive coaching staff to put them in the right places though. It sure smells like 2004 again.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers"]When you consider that they've been bad for many years and they still always play well against us in their dome (it's their Super Bowl), it's a good victory. quote]

No argument from me. Good road victory.

Partial
09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Ryan average 50 yards/punt, and the Lions only averaged 6 yards/return. His hang times were solid in this game.

44 Net is gonna put him in the pro bowl :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2006, 09:49 AM
For Green Bay, their opposition's average starting field position after a kickoff is the 22.3 yard line. Rayner is averaging 68.9 yards on his kickoffs with 3 touchbacks and 21.7 yards/return.

For Minnesota, their opposition's average starting field position after a kickoff is the 27.7 yard line. Longwell is averaging 65.2 yards on his kickoffs with 1 touchback and 23.0 yards/return.

Seems minor, but that's actually quite a bit of discrepancy. The kickers can't necessarily control the return, but it's clear that Rayner's deep and high kickoffs are helping the coverage teams.

mmmdk
09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Vikings has surprised me a bit this season - I thought they were lucky last year. This year though, it's that stout Viking defense that wins games plus an underrated vet QB in Brad Johnson. Look at Culpepper, especially last year as he's a bit injured now, is NOTHING without Randy Moss. Moss made Culpepper hence Culpepper is a pro bowl fraud. Culpepper's just a guy.

Cheesehead Craig
09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
At this pace, Longwell is going to lead the league in scoring and be a shoe-in for the Pro Bowl. Just what he always wanted.

mngolf19
09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Vikings has surprised me a bit this season - I thought they were lucky last year. This year though, it's that stout Viking defense that wins games plus an underrated vet QB in Brad Johnson. Look at Culpepper, especially last year as he's a bit injured now, is NOTHING without Randy Moss. Moss made Culpepper hence Culpepper is a pro bowl fraud. Culpepper's just a guy.

I'll throw in a good OL too helping Culpepper, but I agree with you completely. Culpepper was good behind better players but clearly not a top 15 QB.