PDA

View Full Version : Ahman's fumble

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it (I'm sure they have in the game day thread0, but that fumble was absolutely inexcusable. He ran hard all day and made some game changing plays, but that was friggin' ugly. I'm a huge Ahman pimp, and I realize his fumbles come early in the season, but that fumble was as bad as it gets. They could have run it down to 20 seconds and had a 42 yard FG attempt without that.

Noodle
09-24-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it (I'm sure they have in the game day thread0, but that fumble was absolutely inexcusable. He ran hard all day and made some game changing plays, but that was friggin' ugly. I'm a huge Ahman pimp, and I realize his fumbles come early in the season, but that fumble was as bad as it gets. They could have run it down to 20 seconds and had a 42 yard FG attempt without that.

Yeah, Harv, this got discussed, or yelled about, in the game thread. Like you, I think Ahman was a monster today. Every yard he got in the run game was after contact, and he was really punishing people. He led receivers with 8 catches, had no drops, and was a total stud on that TD.

But oh man is he killing me with the fumbles. I'm afraid I agree with the guys who say he should sit for the first couple of series next week.

GBRulz
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Herron's fumble was just as costly as Green's.

chewy-bacca
I love him, and he runs hard. But whats with the fumbles in the 1st part of the season!?!?!?! He gets a pass every year, I think it would be a strong move to name another starter for next week. Try and prove a point.

Lurker64
But oh man is he killing me with the fumbles. I'm afraid I agree with the guys who say he should sit for the first couple of series next week.

I think Ahman is sufficiently experienced that we don't need to resort to cheap motivational stunts to convince him that fumbling is bad. I'm sure that nobody feels worse about Green's fumble than Green does, and that's probably all of the punishment he needs. Only sit him out if you think that the guy who replaces him would do a better job. Since none of the other RBs are setting the world on fire, I think possibly a stern talking to and some fumbling drills are going to be sufficient.

Remember, Green's in a contract year. It's his responsibility to light a fire under his own ass.

chewy-bacca
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM

so start "new guy" then. Its more for the pregame show PR, and maybe it will throw off the other teams game plan.

chewy-bacca
09-24-2006, 05:26 PM

I think Ahman is sufficiently experienced that we don't need to resort to cheap motivational stunts to convince him that fumbling is bad. I'm sure that nobody feels worse about Green's fumble than Green does, and that's probably all of the punishment he needs. Only sit him out if you think that the guy who replaces him would do a better job. Since none of the other RBs are setting the world on fire, I think possibly a stern talking to and some fumbling drills are going to be sufficient.

Remember, Green's in a contract year. It's his responsibility to light a fire under his own ass.

if that were the case, why does it happen every year, and every year people make excuses for it? Im sure he feels bad and all, but PUT THE DAM BALL AWAY FOR THE 485662318274 TIME!!!

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
We shouldn't bench him. Really... there's nothing we can do. I'm just absolutely surprised he would fumble at that point in the game. He should be called out for it. However, we don't have the RB depth to bench him. We shouldn't even if we did. Ahman, like Favre, is our bellcow. We have to stick with him through thick and thin. It was horrible nonetheless.

Herron's fumble was as bad, and Morency is the only other guy we have. I doubt he's ready to play full-time.

GBRulz
09-24-2006, 05:34 PM
No way do we bench Green, but since it IS his contract year, I think it's important to give Morency quite a few snaps, too and see what we really have behind Green.

Lurker64
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
if that were the case, why does it happen every year, and every year people make excuses for it? Im sure he feels bad and all, but PUT THE DAM BALL AWAY FOR THE 485662318274 TIME!!!

Green has a fumbling problem. Telling him "you have a fumbling problem, this is bad", whether through words or actions does very little actually correct said problem. Green plays football for a living and gets paid handsomely. I'm sure he's fully aware that he fumbles more than he should and that this is a bad thing, we don't exactly need to draw him a diagram to point this out.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't even think he fumbles that much. He just ALWAYS fumble early in the year, for whatever reason. For his career, when you look at his fumble rate, it isn't high. However, if you look at his fumble rate in the first 6-8 games of a season, it's really high. The last half of the year, it's really low.

Still, I'm friggin' shocked he fumbled IN THAT SITUATION.

Partial
09-24-2006, 05:55 PM
No way do we bench Green, but since it IS his contract year, I think it's important to give Morency quite a few snaps, too and see what we really have behind Green.

Green's gonnna stay a packer. It's just a matter of how much we are willing to pay him. I would say give him a 3 year contract with roster bonuses instead of a signing bonus.

Partial
09-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't even think he fumbles that much. He just ALWAYS fumble early in the year, for whatever reason. For his career, when you look at his fumble rate, it isn't high. However, if you look at his fumble rate in the first 6-8 games of a season, it's really high. The last half of the year, it's really low.

Still, I'm friggin' shocked he fumbled IN THAT SITUATION.

Same. Inexcuseable from a vet on the verge of twisting the knife and putting the opponent out of misery. Really didn't make M3 look good, imo.

Joemailman
09-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Ahman is looking to me like a guy who should be finishing out his career as a 3rd down back, which I think he would be very good at. TT needs to address the RB situation in the draft next year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Ahman is looking to me like a guy who should be finishing out his career as a 3rd down back, which I think he would be very good at. TT needs to address the RB situation in the draft next year.

Actually, I think Ahman looks solid physically. He doesn't look like he's lost a lot to me. The run blocking just isn't there yet, but he gets you every yard he should and a few that he shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that they would not be tearing it up with another RB at the helm.

red
09-24-2006, 06:59 PM
tiki barber if i remember right had a fumling problem, and he worked on it a couple of offsesons ago and changed they way he carried the ball. he now carries it high and tight to his chest and armpit. if i remember right, its worked

why hasn't someone tried to get green to do something like this? you force him to do it if he doesn't want too

and just get rid of herron already, that was just pathetic

VegasPackFan
09-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I guess it is time for me to come out of the closet.

I have always hated Green for his fumble problems.

No matter how many great plays he made, there was always that liability that he could cough it up at any time (usually when you could least afford it).

I remember Holmgren benching Bennett because of a fumble. It taught a lesson.

I have always asked:

HOW CAN A PRO RB REFUSE TO CARRY THE BALL IN THE CORRECT HAND?!?!?!

I just dont get it.

In today's game, when we were up and just needed a few plays to finish it up, I looked to a fellwo fan and said "Why do they have Green in there right now? He could give up the ball." Two plays later......

Its time to find another stud RB. Green - I appreciate what you have done for us, but if you cannot break a long play any more, you are done. I cannot stand the turnovers anymore.

George The Animal Steel
09-24-2006, 07:25 PM
The thing I find frustrating is that like Ahman, Tiki Barber was a notorious fumbler. However, unlike Ahman, Tiki re-learned how to carry the football properly about two seasons ago and has since that time become one of the most reliable backs in terms of not putting the ball on the turf. I recall that Sherman briefly attempted to alter Ahman's method of carrying the ball but that this was scrapped, with an attitude that it was simply too late in the game to change Ahman. If it worked for Tiki, why can't Ahman make some changes?

jinx: i just noticed that Red posted essentially the same thing....

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
The thing I find frustrating is that like Ahman, Tiki Barber was a notorious fumbler. However, unlike Ahman, Tiki re-learned how to carry the football properly about two seasons ago and has since that time become one of the most reliable backs in terms of not putting the ball on the turf. I recall that Sherman briefly attempted to alter Ahman's method of carrying the ball but that this was scrapped, with an attitude that it was simply too late in the game to change Ahman. If it worked for Tiki, why can't Ahman make some changes?

jinx: i just noticed that Red posted essentially the same thing....

Welcome to the boards GTAS

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I guess it is time for me to come out of the closet.

I have always hated Green for his fumble problems.

No matter how many great plays he made, there was always that liability that he could cough it up at any time (usually when you could least afford it).

I remember Holmgren benching Bennett because of a fumble. It taught a lesson.

I have always asked:

HOW CAN A PRO RB REFUSE TO CARRY THE BALL IN THE CORRECT HAND?!?!?!

I just dont get it.

In today's game, when we were up and just needed a few plays to finish it up, I looked to a fellwo fan and said "Why do they have Green in there right now? He could give up the ball." Two plays later......

Its time to find another stud RB. Green - I appreciate what you have done for us, but if you cannot break a long play any more, you are done. I cannot stand the turnovers anymore.

the coaches aren't demanding he carry it differently during practice.

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
i just watched game highlights on packers.com. what happened to ahman's elbow pads - the cloth ones that were supposed to help keep him from fumbling due to too much perspiration on his forearms and hands? he wasn't wearing any today...

pbmax
09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Tiki also was not a Pro Bowl back before he took care of the fumbling problem. He was second tier and looking to move up.

Bennett also had the motivation of possible viable alternatives in the backfield.

Green hasn't been under than pressure since Davenport's break out/break down game in St. Louis, or wherever it was.

Sherman let many good performers have their way, and it would be even tougher now to insist. After an injury and focusing on a comeback, perhaps this wasn't the year.

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2006, 09:06 PM
not that it excuses green's late fumble, but i just realized after reading aa past article that ahman played today after being questionable before the game with a sore hamstring.

phil michaels must have forgotten that too, because after the game michaels kept whining about how ahman doesn't have the speed burst to turn the corner anymore. i wonder how much burst michaels would have less than twelve months after suffering a season ending thigh injury...

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 09:51 PM
not that it excuses green's late fumble, but i just realized after reading aa past article that ahman played today after being questionable before the game with a sore hamstring.

phil michaels must have forgotten that too, because after the game michaels kept whining about how ahman doesn't have the speed burst to turn the corner anymore. i wonder how much burst michaels would have less than twelve months after suffering a season ending thigh injury...

Ahman said "it happens, it's just part of football." and is considering it no big deal. He may change his mind when he finds himself running with Coach B's cleat up his...

red
09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
i just watched game highlights on packers.com. what happened to ahman's elbow pads - the cloth ones that were supposed to help keep him from fumbling due to too much perspiration on his forearms and hands? he wasn't wearing any today...

i've been asking the exact same thing fritz

those pads made all the difference

Guiness
09-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure if it relates at all, but in university I remember in the dying minutes the ball was given to the fullback. He put it right in his stomach, and covered it entirely with both forearms (you couldn't see the ball at all) , and ran a draw play for a yard or so. It would've taken a crowbar to get that ball out.

So what's wrong with that play :?:

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
They showed McCarthy on TV after the fumble, saying how unhappy he must be, and I suppose hoping for a scene of him throwing a clipboard in the ground.

I was so glad to see McCarthy keep his cool, and just encourage the defense. Shit happens, got to encourage your players not to panic.

digitaldean
09-24-2006, 11:14 PM

You may not be able to find a street FA with the talent Green possesses.

But you WILL find someone with equal or better talent of Noah Herron.

That fumble took away points.

I'd love to say bench Green because of the fumbling, but he's too much of an asset in the passing game, plus we have NO ONE that can come up and take his place now.

Morency? No way.

Herron. A big HELL NO on that one.

Partial
09-24-2006, 11:16 PM

You may not be able to find a street FA with the talent Green possesses.

But you WILL find someone with equal or better talent of Noah Herron.

That fumble took away points.

I'd love to say bench Green because of the fumbling, but he's too much of an asset in the passing game, plus we have NO ONE that can come up and take his place now.

Morency? No way.

Herron. A big HELL NO on that one.

I dunno, I could see Morency doing well behind a decent line. He was good at OSU (oklahoma state) when he put up comparable stats to Tatum Bell.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
All backs fumble.

BTW, Favre probably fumbles as often as any QB in the league.

FavreChild
09-24-2006, 11:31 PM
I dunno, I could see Morency doing well behind a decent line. He was good at OSU (oklahoma state) when he put up comparable stats to Tatum Bell.

You're kidding, right? The Big 12 ain't the NFL, my friend. It aint even the Big 10. :mrgreen:

FavreChild
09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Yes, that fumble was frustrating. Fortunately, our D was able to render the mistake inconsequential. This time.

Although the defense leaves much to be desired, they are coming up with big plays, including, sometimes, the creation of turnovers. Yep, fumbles happen. We just have to win the turnover battle. Plain and simple. Without those two fumbles today, we crush the Lions. But we still squeezed out a win. Can't fret too much about that.

Partial
09-24-2006, 11:46 PM

You're kidding, right? The Big 12 ain't the NFL, my friend. It aint even the Big 10. :mrgreen:

I am dead serious. Tatum Bell is a solid back in the NFL. Morency I foresee being a very similiar back. They both dance around the line more than their coaches would like in the ZBS, which is why they're not starting (though he wouldn't be starting over green anyway, but thats why he didn't start in Texas).

Morency was a third round pick last year. I don't want to look it up but he was like the 8th running back selected in a pretty decent class iirc. I predict he will be a solid #2 and kick returner next year. He's a good scat back.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2006, 03:15 AM
I think the point Harvey is trying to make is that this fumble was uncharacteristic of Green. If so I agree cuz when you watch the replay you will see it is not like most of his fumbles where the ball pops out while grinding for more yards. He was just being straight up careless with the ball. Didnt even bother to tuck it in. Not his style.

If the lions had scored and went on to win..... :mad:

prsnfoto
09-25-2006, 07:50 AM
They showed McCarthy on TV after the fumble, saying how unhappy he must be, and I suppose hoping for a scene of him throwing a clipboard in the ground.

I was so glad to see McCarthy keep his cool, and just encourage the defense. Shit happens, got to encourage your players not to panic.

I can't believe none of you are not calling for fat head here that was inexcusable playcalling take a knee kick a field goal with 9 seconds left win the game MM should be fined 500000 for being a moron that being said Green and that fucking loser Herron need to protect the football.

cpk1994
09-25-2006, 08:22 AM

I can't believe none of you are not calling for fat head here that was inexcusable playcalling take a knee kick a field goal with 9 seconds left win the game MM should be fined 500000 for being a moron that being said Green and that fucking loser Herron need to protect the football.
You're assuming that the kick is not blocked and returned for a TD. Things happen on any given play Playing for the field goal could have backfired as well. The playcalling is not inexcusable because just about every HC would have done the same. Unless the clock can run out, HC don't take knees.

swede
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Ahman was running hard because he knew a first down was a pretty heavy blow to the Lions. I agree with Mad that he was careless. The ball was tucked high and tight but he let his elbow come up and exposed the underneath of the ball. A lion got his helmet under it and the ball popped out.

Thank goodness Bubba was heads up on the tackle to limit the damage.

I agree with HH that MM went right to his defense and calmly challenged them to win the game. He stayed cool when it would have been easy to send waves of panic Karma rolling through the ranks.

Like Brett with his TD's and Picks, Ahman wins for us far more than he loses for us. Cut him some slack and send him through an hour of fumble drills.