PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong about Davis!!

RashanGary
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Davis is intriguing with his uspided and pure playmaking ability but I think I overrated is acctual stock. As I read more and develop a better feel for the top of this draft I'm starting to think he's a great player but not any greater than A.J. Hawk and not nearly as sure of a thing.

To all of those who I beat to death with my Davis rants I appologize. I believe I was wrong.

I've flip flopped all around and I now pledge my support to A.J. Hawk with the 5th pick. I still love Davis but I love Hawk just as much and the risk isn't there.

Partial
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Davis is gonna be good no doubt but I don't think he is much better than leonard pope, dominic byrd or marcedes lewis. While people make the statement of you can get a playmaking linebacker in the second, the same argument could be applied in this situation with vernon davis.

LB and TE are outrageously deep this year. Hopefully, if they're smart they'll cash in on both at some point in the draft.

Fosco33
04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Davis is gonna be good no doubt but I don't think he is much better than leonard pope, dominic byrd or marcedes lewis. While people make the statement of you can get a playmaking linebacker in the second, the same argument could be applied in this situation with vernon davis.

LB and TE are outrageously deep this year. Hopefully, if they're smart they'll cash in on both at some point in the draft.

Davis reminds be of Shannon Sharpe. I think he'll be good but I'd still take Hawk with either #5 or trade to #7 and pick up a 2nd rounder or something.

Chester Marcol
04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I've flip flopped all around and I now pledge my support to A.J. Hawk with the 5th pick. I still love Davis but I love Hawk just as much and the risk isn't there.

You/we're no different than every other rating that's been updating thier standings weekly. Players rise, players fall. I wouldn't call it flip flopping. The closer it gets to crunch time when the draft pick is not a prediction anymore but is a reality, you see this happen more for exactly the reason you stated for your own choice of Hawk. The risk/reward factor is more of a sure thing.

RashanGary
04-18-2006, 04:07 PM

Partial,

I can't agree with that statement. Those players are all traditional TE's and will have the usual NFL success like Franks or Witten in Dallas. They are good but they don't have game changing explosivness. My decision had nothing to do with how he compares to other TE's because if that was the logic I used he'd be the #3 overall pick and Santonio Holmes would go top 10. My personal rating has more to do with how good a player is in relation to all the other players. Ferguson isn't that much better than Justice but IMO he is better than all but 3 players in the draft. I don't drop his stock because a player who is not much worse can be had at #10. My list of top players has to do with their projected impact on the game. Davis has a very high potential impact on games. Pope and Lewis do not. That is why Davis is considered a top 10 and Pope and Lewis are late 1, early 2's.

Does that make sense?

Charles Woodson
04-18-2006, 05:29 PM
What if mario falls. Who would u rather have? mario or hawk?

b bulldog
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Mario in a landslide

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 05:45 PM
For a second there, I thought you were suggesting that he was going to slide!!

Partial
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I can't agree with that statement. Those players are all traditional TE's and will have the usual NFL success like Franks or Witten in Dallas. They are good but they don't have game changing explosivness. My decision had nothing to do with how he compares to other TE's because if that was the logic I used he'd be the #3 overall pick and Santonio Holmes would go top 10. My personal rating has more to do with how good a player is in relation to all the other players. Ferguson isn't that much better than Justice but IMO he is better than all but 3 players in the draft. I don't drop his stock because a player who is not much worse can be had at #10. My list of top players has to do with their projected impact on the game. Davis has a very high potential impact on games. Pope and Lewis do not. That is why Davis is considered a top 10 and Pope and Lewis are late 1, early 2's.

Does that make sense?

Your point makes sense, I respectfully disagree though. Davis is not nearly as fast when playing the game as he is clocked. He'll be like a Tony Gonzalez or a Ben Watson. Specifically Pope and Lewis are 6'6" or bigger, strong sized, and are very athletic and fast. Those two and vernon davis are pretty much the prototypical new breed tight end (short of Davis being more a receiver build then a tightends). I am tellin' ya, those guys all play fast, and the difference in game-speed is not as much as you're believing.

Those guys all have Shannon Sharpe/Todd Heap/Antonio Gates capability. I predict out of the above three, Marcedes Lewis is the most successful. I think Davis and Pope will also be very, very good though.

I pretty much guarantee they will all have similiar stats their first year. All three have so much potential and all three are incredible prospects.

Fosco33
04-18-2006, 06:23 PM
There's some great stuff in this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/04/18/tight.ends/index.html

Enjoy! If we were to have 100% hindsight regarding Davis (that he was at least as good as Shannon Sharpe), the Packers should take him regardless of how good Hawk could be.

RashanGary
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM

Does that make sense?

Your point makes sense, I respectfully disagree though. Davis is not nearly as fast when playing the game as he is clocked. He'll be like a Tony Gonzalez or a Ben Watson. Specifically Pope and Lewis are 6'6" or bigger, strong sized, and are very athletic and fast. Those two and vernon davis are pretty much the prototypical new breed tight end (short of Davis being more a receiver build then a tightends). I am tellin' ya, those guys all play fast, and the difference in game-speed is not as much as you're believing.

Those guys all have Shannon Sharpe/Todd Heap/Antonio Gates capability. I predict out of the above three, Marcedes Lewis is the most successful. I think Davis and Pope will also be very, very good though.

I pretty much guarantee they will all have similiar stats their first year. All three have so much potential and all three are incredible prospects.

Yup, this is an agree to disagree for sure. I think Davis is great. You think he's average.

I'll just throw my finial two cents in and say that most people covering the draft think he's an amazing weapon.

Partial
04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
No no, certainly not average. He'll be a good tight end. So will the other guys, though. I think Marcedes and Pope are probably just as good a prospect as say a Jeremy Shockey. This is just a ridiculously deep draft, especially at tight end which isn't an important position.

They'll all be top ten tight ends.

Partial
04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
31 pounds of muscle yet lowered his body fat...

damn! That is impressive but at the sametime almost too impressive..

Maybe he's been working out with David Boston?1?

b bulldog
04-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Amazing talent who will revolutionize the position if healthy.

Fritz
04-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Mario William. If he's there, you've got to take him. Linebackers you can get in the second round. Same with tight ends. Second round, third round. But there's no more Marios out there.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Mario William. If he's there, you've got to take him. Linebackers you can get in the second round. Same with tight ends. Second round, third round. But there's no more Marios out there.

Great point, and it's why I favor Mario Williams. If the draft was deeper at DE or as weak at LB as some years, I might feel otherwise. However, this year I think you could get Mario and a starter at LB in round 2 and a good player at TE in round 3. Having said that, I'd have no problem taking Hawk. To me, he's got a much better chance of being a good pro then the other LBs. It's a good crop, but they all have warts. Sims is a great athlete, but he tests better than he plays. Greenway plays great, but he didn't test nearly as well as I had thought he would. Carpenter is kind of stiff. Ryans is kind of slow. Howard is slight.