PDA

View Full Version : Observations about our team

VegasPackFan
09-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Many of these items have probably been posted, but this is trying to put a lot of things into one thread. I watch the games at a local bar here in Las Vegas with other Packer fans. This is what I think.

Favre is on his game. The hopes that the M3 regime would finally be the first to "coach" Brett since Holmgren have come true.

Brett is carrying this team - we cant run the ball at all, but the pass and short pass/screens are working.

Commentators the world around must now shut their damn gubs about Favre being done. He is still a stud.

Our Defense is tackling better than any Packer D i have seen in the last ten years.

Hawk sets a great example for the team - if you get a hand on a guy, you better bring him down.

Collins and Manuel are very good run supporters. Collins lays the wood every chance he gets.

Those same two guys desperately need to improve their coverage skills.

The offense was way too conservative in week one, but the play calling has greatly improved over the last two games.

Schottenheimer sucks.

Ahman Green - if he no longer can break the big one, then he is no longer able to offset his liability for being a fumbler.

Jennings will be great.

Our depth on the D line will help us late in the season.

These young players are only going to get better. Also the staff (except Schotty).

If this team continues to improve, Brett will return again for another season. And you will have to thank TT and M3 for that, because this would not even be a possibility if it was just the same old same old.

Packer fans are the best. We hung around for nearly 30 years to wait for our team to be great again. It's no big deal if takes maybe 2 or 3 to get back to perrenial playoff team and a few more to have a real chance.

THATS WHAT I SEE.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Ahman Green - if he no longer can break the big one, then he is no longer able to offset his liability for being a fumbler.

What are we going to do... bench for Herron or Morency? Hardly. I don't think there's any reason he can't break the long one--other than piss poor blocking. Up until that last fumble, he did it mostly on his own. Plus, he always fumbles early in the year. He'll get it figured out. Not that the fumble was excusable, but we hardly can afford not to give it to him 25-30 times/game.

VegasPackFan
09-24-2006, 08:52 PM
You may be right, Harv - I hope you are. But I just cannot uderstand how a veteran player needs 4 games to get his fumbling under control every frickin season. Year in and year out, the same damn excuses.

The Shadow
09-24-2006, 09:04 PM
".....If this team continues to improve, Brett will return again for another season."

Or, if he fails to throw about 20 more tds.

Partial
09-24-2006, 09:06 PM
".....If this team continues to improve, Brett will return again for another season."

Or, if he fails to throw about 20 more tds.

:wink:

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
You may be right, Harv - I hope you are. But I just cannot uderstand how a veteran player needs 4 games to get his fumbling under control every frickin season. Year in and year out, the same damn excuses.

but every year he DOES get it under control after the first 4 games. and, its still too early to tell if he's no longer able to break the big one because blocking has been crap for the most part AND he was nursing a sore hammy today.

Pacopete4
09-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Ahman is too big in the passing game to even think about benching whether we can run the ball or not. He is also a great back for movin the pile 2-3 extra yards and thats the type of runner we need this year. We wont have a 1500 yrd back, and I'm fine with that as long as we continue to use the true west coast style passing game as run plays.

Packers4Ever
09-24-2006, 09:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ahman fitted for some special padding on his forearm(s) a couple years ago? Can you tell if he's still using it? Also there were rubber arm pads that were used to keep the ball from slipping so easily, where are they?
I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I have to say I thought Nick Collins had a really great game today when compared to some other recent ones. He was right there and holding those runners to shorter yardage. And Hawke - I loved seeing him twirl Kitna around and sling him down.
Everybody was so much improved over last week, let's see some more!

wist43
09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
The defense is an unmitigated disaster... they've played two terrible offensive teams, and one average one, and they're giving up 6 billion yards/gm and 87 pt/gm.

They look only slightly less confused than they did in 2004.

OL is pass blocking pretty well, but they can't run block. They've gotten away with it for the last two weeks, but long term, they can't make a living that way.

Favre has been great.

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
We won. Enjoy it a little. Bitch tomorrow.

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
The defense is an unmitigated disaster... they've played two terrible offensive teams, and one average one, and they're giving up 6 billion yards/gm and 87 pt/gm.

This is frustrating, because for the most part they have the personel to be a defense in the top half of statistical categories. The scheme and the coaching staff are simply dreadful at this point. There are some weakness like at safety and particularly one defensive end spot, but a good scheme can cover one or two positions. this one can't, at least not at this point.

run pMc
09-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I agree. It is frustrating.

Schottenheimer sucks.
Can't say it much better than that.

Very true. We shouldn't be regressing on defense. I should think by game 4 the new players on D and the especially the secondary know how to play together.

I see the pass D as the problem, not the run D. Is it the LB's, the pass rush, the S's, the CB's, or the coaches? Some combination, but I'm trying to put my finger on it.

Only 13 more regular season games before Schotty gets canned.

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Yes, the pass D is the problem. It's those stupid mid-range passes over the middle, usually hitting the slot receiver on a short route. Now if I can figure that out, we should be able to do something to stop it, say cover it and jump the route?

KYPack
09-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes, the pass D is the problem. It's those stupid mid-range passes over the middle, usually hitting the slot receiver on a short route. Now if I can figure that out, we should be able to do something to stop it, say cover it and jump the route?

Well, Zig, you've found the hole.

In the Bates scheme, there is an open area underneath the safeties and on top of the LB's. The idea is to close down on the QB's and make 'em hurry the toss. Either you get the QB or pick that pass. Every D has an open area, unless you field 15 or 20 players. The Tampa 2 has the same hole.

Our safeties are paranoid and afraid they'll get beat, because they might get beat deep. I don't think we are covering the opponents correctly in the slot. Manuel and Collins are tentative and might not be getting the help they need.

It better get fixed or we'll be in deep shit all year long.

prsnfoto
09-25-2006, 10:10 AM

This is frustrating, because for the most part they have the personel to be a defense in the top half of statistical categories. The scheme and the coaching staff are simply dreadful at this point. There are some weakness like at safety and particularly one defensive end spot, but a good scheme can cover one or two positions. this one can't, at least not at this point.

I agree if bates were coach we would be 2-1 and the offense is ahead of where i expected mainly because of Favre and that is all on him not TT as vegas suggests.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2006, 10:12 AM

Green is not what he was. But he still gets 4 yards when the play gives him 2. Green is by far their best option. The run blocking sucks, and Green still is able to get a little bit.

I really think Thompson should have drafted a running back in second round, it is a critical need. Better to patch O-line with one quality free agent. But we'll get that young running back next year, no doubt.

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 10:13 AM

In the Bates scheme, there is an open area underneath the safeties and on top of the LB's. The idea is to close down on the QB's and make 'em hurry the toss. Either you get the QB or pick that pass. Every D has an open area, unless you field 15 or 20 players. The Tampa 2 has the same hole.

Our safeties are paranoid and afraid they'll get beat, because they might get beat deep. I don't think we are covering the opponents correctly in the slot. Manuel and Collins are tentative and might not be getting the help they need.

Yay, I did it right!!! Now all they have to do is close that hole just a little. I think if we somehow slide someone across and pick a couple of those off they'll think twice about throwing them. Wouldn't it be sweet if Hawk got to a couple of them, say, next week?

Chester Marcol
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM

They look only slightly less confused than they did in 2004.

OL is pass blocking pretty well, but they can't run block. They've gotten away with it for the last two weeks, but long term, they can't make a living that way.

Favre has been great.

Exactly.

I think Favre's play this year is a testament to how much better the offensive coaching and play calling is now than under Charmin.

Unfortunately, the defense is a testament to how good our coaching was last year. I think overall our players are better than last year, but after 3 games I see a miserable defense. Last year we got more out of our defense. This year we are getting less. Our D-line was crappy last year, so we promote the D-line coach to DC. And just for good measure, snottin'himer is allowed back in town. I think the Phily game will really show us where we're at on D.

KYPack
09-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Yay, I did it right!!! Now all they have to do is close that hole just a little. I think if we somehow slide someone across and pick a couple of those off they'll think twice about throwing them. Wouldn't it be sweet if Hawk got to a couple of them, say, next week?

Tain't that easy Zig.

When you "close" that hole, you open another.

One thing you learn as a team playing D is there is ALWAYS a hole. The idea is to cross up the offense, so they can't anticipate when & where you are giving that help.

You wanna buzz Hawk into that part of the zone and "fill" that hole, eh?

If I'm the OC, I will tear your defense into shreds by tossing underneath to the weak side on crosses to the TE and circles to the RB, 'til you bring Hawk back "home".

Then?

Back to the "hole", baby!

The only way to "fill the hole" is to change things up and play better team defense. You hit on one of the problems with this "D". Bates knew how to tweak things and make these adjustments, Sanders doesn't give me the impression that he knows how to do that.

Packers4Ever
09-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Our safeties are paranoid and afraid they'll get beat, because they might

get beat deep. I don't think we are covering the opponents correctly in the

slot. Manuel and Collins are tentative and might not be getting the help

they need.

Just maybe M3 noticed that yesterday and is right now aimin' to fix it? Sure hope so. If we can see it........... :roll:

Fritz
09-25-2006, 01:43 PM

Apparently our safeties are not paranoid enough - they keep getting beat deep every week.