PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms In Critical Condition

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I hope he's alright. I am not sure what happened.

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I just heard them say he is not in critical condition, even though it was previously reported. Some say he suffered from a severe case of dehydration. I hope he's ok.

red
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
was it game related, or something else?

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:10 PM
was it game related, or something else?

He got pulled from the game and taken to the hospital on a stretcher. Not sure what else.

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:10 PM
I just heard them say he is not in critical condition, even though it was previously reported. Some say he suffered from a severe case of dehydration. I hope he's ok.

I don't know about that, I just saw that on TV. Then again, who knows.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Holy Shit. I thought it was one of those gag threads. Damn, I sure as hell hope he's ok.....

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Holy Shit. I thought it was one of those gag threads. Damn, I sure as hell hope he's ok.....

No, I am 100% dead serious.

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:15 PM

Yeah..I just heard them say that on the pregame show for the Pats-Broncos. He was pulled from the game...he came BACK and tried to lead them to victory...and since then has been in a hospital. A reporter with the pregame people (Bettis, etc.) said that some reports say he suffered from dehydration. The reporter said he talked to the coach who said he is not in critical condition. They're trying to locate his family.
That's all I heard about it so far, but they said they will definitely keep us posted.

Fosco33
09-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Yeah..I just heard them say that on the pregame show for the Pats-Broncos. He was pulled from the game...he came BACK and tried to lead them to victory...and since then has been in a hospital. A reporter with the pregame people (Bettis, etc.) said that some reports say he suffered from dehydration. The reporter said he talked to the coach who said he is not in critical condition. They're trying to locate his family.
That's all I heard about it so far, but they said they will definitely keep us posted.

TB lost today.

MJZiggy
09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
It's Chris Simms. You'd think his family would be pretty easy to find...

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:17 PM

Well, that would certainly be good news!! Hopefully he's alright!!

Rastak

Shit that doesn't sound good at all. When Korey Stringer died I knew he was in deep shit when the coaching staff stayed all night at the hospital....the fact they are tracking down family is worrisome. I hope he's ok.

Brando19

TB lost today.

Exactly...that's why I said he TRIED to lead them to victory.

Fosco33
09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/wires/09/24/2020.ap.fbn.buccaneers.simms.0197/index.html

Fosco33
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Ruptured spleen - had it removed; injury occured in 2nd Quarter; received blood transfusions and has been stabalized.

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Steve Lyttle, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Chris Simms (undisclosed) is in critical condition at a Tampa hospital. There is no indication as to the cause of his medical problems. He was taken by ambulance shortly after the team's 26-24 loss to the Carolina Panthers Sunday, Sept. 24. He appeared to experience medical problems during the game, having to leave during the third quarter. Announcers noted he had suffered from dehydration. Head coach Jon Gruden said following the game Simms had also hurt his ribs and that he did not know if the ribs, dehydration or a combination of both were why he left the game.

This is from kffl.com
Again...the reporter said he is not in critical condition as previously reported.

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Ruptured spleen - had it removed; injury occured in 2nd Quarter; received blood transfusions and has been stabalized.

What? Who said this?

Fosco33
09-24-2006, 07:22 PM

What? Who said this?

ESPN

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:22 PM

What? Who said this?

2nded

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM

What? Who said this?

2nded

Wow...thanks for the update.

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM

What? Who said this?

2nded

I meant seconded as in I want to know where he heard that. BTW, be sure to check out the lost season 3 discussion in the Romper Room!

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:25 PM

What? Who said this?

2nded

I meant seconded as in I want to know where he heard that. BTW, be sure to check out the lost season 3 discussion in the Romper Room!

Oh...thanks for clearing that up...I thought you heard it too. Lost season 3 discussion? I'm there!

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Al Michaels is seconding the statements Lost made. He is in the hospital but not in critical condition. What a weird situation.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Al Michaels is seconding the statements Lost made. He is in the hospital but not in critical condition. What a weird situation.

No kidding...hopefully he's fine.

Rastak
09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
From ESPN

Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms had his spleen removed at a Tampa, Fla., hospital after rupturing it in Sunday's 26-24 loss to Carolina, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Simms

According to a source close to Simms' family, the quarterback's condition has been stabilized after surgery, during which he received blood transfusions.

It is thought the injury occurred in the second quarter. Simms took several hard hits and left the game for two plays in the second half but returned to help the Bucs take the lead in the fourth quarter.

Simms also has bruised ribs. He is being treated at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Lisa Patterson, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital, said any other information would have to come from the Buccaneers, who declined to comment or confirm that the fourth-year pro was being treated a few blocks from Raymond James Stadium.

Simms walked from the field on his own power late in the third quarter and again at the end the game, which Carolina won when John Kasay kicked a 42-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining. He completed 13 of 24 passes for 139 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Simms usually is made available for postgame interviews, however the Bucs said he would not speak to reporters because he was being examined by trainers and doctors.

Brando19
09-24-2006, 07:37 PM
From ESPN

Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms had his spleen removed at a Tampa, Fla., hospital after rupturing it in Sunday's 26-24 loss to Carolina, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Simms

According to a source close to Simms' family, the quarterback's condition has been stabilized after surgery, during which he received blood transfusions.

It is thought the injury occurred in the second quarter. Simms took several hard hits and left the game for two plays in the second half but returned to help the Bucs take the lead in the fourth quarter.

Simms also has bruised ribs. He is being treated at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Lisa Patterson, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital, said any other information would have to come from the Buccaneers, who declined to comment or confirm that the fourth-year pro was being treated a few blocks from Raymond James Stadium.

Simms walked from the field on his own power late in the third quarter and again at the end the game, which Carolina won when John Kasay kicked a 42-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining. He completed 13 of 24 passes for 139 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Simms usually is made available for postgame interviews, however the Bucs said he would not speak to reporters because he was being examined by trainers and doctors.

I was just about to post this article. Wow...I'm glad he's ok. I wonder how long he'll be out? I bet he hopes the backup doesn't start playing pretty good or he'll be benched.

Partial
09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Al Michaels just reported this also. Alright, we've solved the mystery!

red
09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
pft is saying he's out 2 months. but i could swear i just heard nbc say he's out for the rest of the year

Partial
09-24-2006, 09:11 PM
pft is saying he's out 2 months. but i could swear i just heard nbc say he's out for the rest of the year

Either way, it a shame. I always liked him when he was at Texas and I hoped the Packers would take him in the 3rd a few years back. I think he'll be a good player in this league and wish him a strong recovery.

BallHawk
09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow, this is the season from hell for Tampa. An 0-3 start, with their QB hurt and out for the rest of the year.

Partial
09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow, this is the season from hell for Tampa. An 0-3 start, with their QB hurt and out for the rest of the year.

They have had a beast of a schedule thus far, though. The QB going down is gonna be rough though without Griese there to back him up. It's a shame, because I thought they would be good this year.

I like Bruce Gradowski though. I recall a while back at JSO someone said they thought he'd be the best QB from the draft, so I made an effort to watch a Toledo game or two. I thought he was alright. Then, this preseason I saw him in a preseason game and I must say he looked better than I imagined. I am smelling a QB controversy next year when Simms returns ('cause naturally, Gradowski is gonna ride the Cadillac to at least 8 wins this year).

Badgerinmaine
09-24-2006, 09:45 PM
This story from the Bradenton Herald m sums up the situation:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/15600332.htm

God bless him. This sounds painful and scary.

Badgerinmaine
09-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Indeed. At least they are going into a bye week to help them get the new QB taking reps with the #1 team in practice for two weeks. They have some tough games coming after they get back, particularly if the Saints really are improved. Tough division...

Guiness
09-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Ouch - a spleen's nasty. Happened to Forsberg (Colorado Avalanche) after he was pasted a few years back. I think he was out for about 2 months.

So, I wonder what the dehydration bit was? Did they dehydrate his spleen after they removed it? Popular in TCM - wonder what a professional athlete's would fetch on the black market :lol: :lol:

the_idle_threat
09-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Yahoo is running the headline as follows:

Buccaneers QB Simms has spleen removed

My first thought was, "Damn, I hope it didn't happen on the field ... that would be a hell of a hit, and a hell of a mess." :lol:

Yes, I know I'm going to hell or something ... :oops:

Badgerinmaine
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
My first thought was, "Damn, I hope it didn't happen on the field ... that would be a hell of a hit, and a hell of a mess." :lol:

Now you've done it...I am hearing Ed Hochuli in my head saying "Personal foul! Unsportsmanlinke conduct--removing organ without anesthesia. 15 yard penalty--still third down."
:-P

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Why do spleens have to be so delicate anyway. You never hear of them rupturing the liver or the stomach or gall bladder, but that stupid spleen is always falling apart.