PDA

View Full Version : Ahmad Carroll...

Joemailman
09-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Had maybe the biggest defensive play of the game. He tipped the pass that Manuel returned for a TD. No mention of it on the forum that I noticed.

I also noticed that Al Harris got called for a couple of holding penalties today. I wonder how many people would be calling for Carroll's head if Carroll had committed them.

red
09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
harris hasn't had at least one holding call in every single game he's played as a pro, like carrol has

the holding penalties on harris and woodson so far this year are something to be worried about though. its inexcusable IMO for vets of that caliber to get called for it over and over again

Partial
09-24-2006, 10:33 PM
harris hasn't had at least one holding call in every single game he's played as a pro, like carrol has

the holding penalties on harris and woodson so far this year are something to be worried about though. its inexcusable IMO for vets of that caliber to get called for it over and over again

He only had 10 penalties last year. Thats not close to every game. Regardless, I guarantee you around here the coaches would be ripped on, not the player :razz:

Pacopete4
09-24-2006, 10:45 PM
harris's hold today on the post corner was a great hold and a vet move.. if he doesnt grab the guy, its 6 and we're bitching because he cost us a TD

RashanGary
09-24-2006, 10:59 PM
The Packers play a defense that guys will get penalties. get used ot it. I gaurantee no matter who is lining up out there, they will get penalties every other game or so.

It's just the way all man all the time works.

Partial
09-24-2006, 11:05 PM
The Packers play a defense that guys will get penalties. get used ot it. I gaurantee no matter who is lining up out there, they will get penalties every other game or so.

It's just the way all man all the time works.

... they have played a significant amount of zone this season thus far. That, and I don't think thats true about man coverage at all.

Lurker64
09-24-2006, 11:54 PM
I have to say, Carroll makes a darned good nickelback at this point in his career. He wasn't an awful starter, though he did screw up in some key situations and rarely made a game changing play. But he's definitely an asset to have at #3.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Carroll is still improving weekly. He has been involved in alot of plays and never hesitates to get in the mix. Too bad Woodson aint like that.

SkinBasket
09-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Woodson looked like crap... again. Not only has he been getting beat regularly with both speed and comeback moves, he's shown no ability to make up the ground he gives up. Hell, sometimes it looks like he gives up as soon as he's beat (see the dropped Furry pass down the middle).

And as to Joe's original comment, I said the exact same thing during the game. If it had been Carroll who had been called twice and beat several times the way Harris was, people would be firing up the woodpile to burn him at the stake. As it is, all the AC haters will just make terrible excuses for Al and ignore Carroll's obvious improvement.

Come on fellas. Holding is a vet move? So if you get beat in your first three years and hold, it's a rookie mistake and the player is a failure, but if you get beat after three years and hold it's a "vet move?" Or better yet, GJ's claim that this is a defense where guys will get penalties. WTF are you even talking about? Is this related to the notch system? I sure as shit didn't see any other "guys" getting called for holding or PI - other than Poppinga who is an abysimal failure in coverage (and not so good against the run it turns out).

red
09-25-2006, 07:28 AM
i think we got lucky on the carroll play, i've seen the replay a few times now, and i think it could have easily been called pass interference. to me it looked like he hit the guy right before the guy was there

cpk1994
09-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Woodson looked like crap... again. Not only has he been getting beat regularly with both speed and comeback moves, he's shown no ability to make up the ground he gives up. Hell, sometimes it looks like he gives up as soon as he's beat (see the dropped Furry pass down the middle).

And as to Joe's original comment, I said the exact same thing during the game. If it had been Carroll who had been called twice and beat several times the way Harris was, people would be firing up the woodpile to burn him at the stake. As it is, all the AC haters will just make terrible excuses for Al and ignore Carroll's obvious improvement.

Come on fellas. Holding is a vet move? So if you get beat in your first three years and hold, it's a rookie mistake and the player is a failure, but if you get beat after three years and hold it's a "vet move?" Or better yet, GJ's claim that this is a defense where guys will get penalties. WTF are you even talking about? Is this related to the notch system? I sure as shit didn't see any other "guys" getting called for holding or PI - other than Poppinga who is an abysimal failure in coverage (and not so good against the run it turns out).
The holding you are talking about prevented a likely 6 points. It has nothing to do wiith being a vetern or rookie. IT PREVENTED A LIKELY 6 POINTS.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
harris's hold today on the post corner was a great hold and a vet move.. if he doesnt grab the guy, its 6 and we're bitching because he cost us a TD

I thought the same thing when seeing the replay. It was 1st and 10. He gave the guy 5 yards--instead of giving up the touchdown.

SkinBasket
09-25-2006, 11:13 AM

The holding you are talking about prevented a likely 6 points. It has nothing to do wiith being a vetern or rookie.

That's the point of this thread. Fact is, however, a lot of people here would be outraged, as usual, if Carroll had played the same way Harris did.

Maybe Al should try to be in position instead of having to hold to save a TD.

Pacopete4
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
getting beat happens when u play CB.. Carrol used to get penalties just playin bump and run hitting guys in the face for no apparent reason and damn near everytime he does make a play on the ball his other hand is ALWAYS rapped around the other guys waist which could be called. Thats the difference between the two..

Cheesehead Craig
09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Caroll had a great game yesterday. Solid coverage and made one of the biggest plays of the game. Thought he timed that pass perfectly. A+ game from him.

esoxx
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Carroll had a nice game yesterday. He just needs to be more consistent. Just last week he got burned for a TD on a stutter and go route that wasn't even executed that well.

The big question with him is, will he provide consistent play week to week. The kind that established veteran players are known for. Hopefully the Lions game begins an uptick for him on this quest.

Fritz
09-25-2006, 02:10 PM
i think we got lucky on the carroll play, i've seen the replay a few times now, and i think it could have easily been called pass interference. to me it looked like he hit the guy right before the guy was there

I have to disagree. I have been on Carroll's case, but that play looked like a damn good play on his part. He didn't whack the guy til the ball got there. Sweet play.

SkinBasket
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Carrol used to get penalties just playin bump and run.... Thats the difference between the two..

Key word! Key word!

Carroll has been playing just as well as anyone in the secondary this season (which admittedly isn't saying a lot). The only thing detractors continue to point to is his past. He's 23 and if he continues to play as well as he has in what seems to be a jumbled and confused defensive coverage scheme, he will be just fine for years to come.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Carroll made a good play this week. He got burned on a JV move last week. He hasn't been giving up completions, and he's always had solid coverage. However, his ball skills have always been poor. I get the feeling that if QBs just tested him, he'd still be the same old Ahmad over the Ahmad that finally made a play this week. Who knows? If he makes a few plays, QBs probably won't even try to go after him much.

Deputy Nutz
09-25-2006, 10:21 PM

I have to agree with what the announcer said, "if that is pass interference than you have no chance in covering a receiver in the NFL."

that was the truth. He got there when he needed to, and guess what? It wasn't pass interference, but as a Packer fan if you want to call it that, than go ahead.

PTPaQ
09-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Carroll made an amazing play, thats about as perfect coverage as you can play.

Ahmads pick against the Rams his rookie year when he went up with Isaac Bruce in the endzone and grabbed the ball gives me hope that his ball skills CAN be great. That was one of the most beautiful Int.'s I have seen.

This kid is a good player if he has his head on straight.