PDA

View Full Version : Jennings not Sharpe.. More Like Driver

Pacopete4
09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I was a little young when Sharpe was playin for the packers but I do remember watchin him but I think Jennings looks damn near identical to Driver. Now maybe some of you are looking for a bigger name to compare Jennings to but what the hell is wrong with Driver, overlooked again? Maybe.. Jennings catches the ball with his big strong hands while being able to avoid that big hit while still looking the ball in. Not only does he do a great job of YAC, but it takes more than one defender to stop his forward progress even. He is a good, percise route runner that is quick and cuts sharp but might not be the fastest WR on the field. Oh and not only is that identical to Driver on the field, but he is damn near the same guy off of it. A guy with class, not selfish and thinks team first... and thats for sure not Sharpe.

billy_oliver880
09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Yes but Driver wasn't as big as weapon in his first year as Jennings has been in the first 3 games...but you know its really too early to tell how good he is going to be.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
If Jennings was a couple inches taller, he would be a monster.

But I ain't complaining, he looks like very versatile and athletic. One of Thompson's best draft picks.

RashanGary
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Jennings is a poor mans Steve Smith. I'm taking that from Jennings himself because that his who he tries to model his game after.

I think it's a pretty good comparison.

billy_oliver880
09-24-2006, 11:33 PM

But I ain't complaining, he looks like very versatile and athletic. One of Thompson's best draft picks.

I guess it does carry over...if a player is productive in college they are going to be productive in the NFL. Granted this isn't always the case but I believe this line of thinking over taking someone in the draft that is known for being a physical specimen.

RashanGary
09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Could you imagine if you put Jennings skills on Roy Williams body? Good lord, could you say Randy Moss?

mission
09-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Could you imagine if you put Jennings skills on Roy Williams body? Good lord, could you say Randy Moss?

:lol:

:crazy:

:mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
09-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Could you imagine if you put Jennings' head and Ahman Green's arms on Big Bird's body? Can you tell I don't know what the hell I'm talking about?

:razz: :razz: :razz:

billy_oliver880
09-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Could you imagine if you put Jennings' head and Ahman Green's arms on Big Bird's body? Can you tell I don't know what the hell I'm talking about?

That would be one ell of a receiver! :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
09-24-2006, 11:53 PM

That would be one ell of a receiver! :mrgreen:

He would be unstoppable in the red zone ... just put it up there over the DB's head. :lol:

Noodle
09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Jennings is a poor mans Steve Smith. I'm taking that from Jennings himself because that his who he tries to model his game after.

Does Jennings have Smith's speed? Granted, he motored down the sideline pretty well for his TD, but I thought Smith had some more quicks. In any event, they always said Emmit Smith wasn't fast enough, but he seemed to do ok.

I also thought Fergy looked pretty good today on his couple of catches. Dang, Favre spread the ball around so much, no one receiver dominated, except Green I guess, who led them all with 8 catches.

the_idle_threat
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM

Does Jennings have Smith's speed? Granted, he motored down the sideline pretty well for his TD, but I thought Smith had some more quicks. In any event, they always said Emmit Smith wasn't fast enough, but he seemed to do ok.

I also thought Fergy looked pretty good today on his couple of catches. Dang, Favre spread the ball around so much, no one receiver dominated, except Green I guess, who led them all with 8 catches.

Here are their draft bios for comparison:

2001 NFL Draft:
STEVONNE “STEVE” SMITH, Wide Receiver
School: University of Utah Utes. Height: 5:09.0. Weight: 179. Hometown: Lynwood, California

ANALYSIS

Positives…Extremely competitive athlete with exceptional leaping ability...Major impact player with the ability to return punts...Shifty route runner with explosive open field acceleration...Has great hands to securely grab the ball and fine field vision...Excels on slants and crossing patterns...Very elusive after the catch, utilizing his game-breaking speed...Decisive blocker, despite his size.

Negatives…Has big problems trying to escape the jam due to his slight frame...Needs to improve his juking moves and head fakes in order to get past the defender...Held out of contact drills in spring due to neck injury suffered in final regular season game of 1999 (cervical fracture has healed)...Very inconsistent on his breaks and generally rounds his cuts...Needs to show more aggression trying to get to the ball in traffic...Tends to reach for the ball too much, especially on post patterns.

CAREER NOTES

In only two seasons at Utah, he quickly established himself as one of the school’s most electrifying players...Utilized his blazing speed to haul in 78 passes for 1603 yards and 12 touchdowns...His average of 20.6 yards per catch broke the old school career-record of 20.0 yards, set by Steve Odom (1971-73)...Added 860 yards on 72 punt returns (11.9 avg)...Only LaVon Edwards (892, 1988-91) gained more yards via punt returns in Utah annals...His four punt returns for touchdowns tied Odom’s school career-record...Also returned 23 kickoffs for 505 yards (22.0 avg).

2000 SEASON

Consensus All-Mountain West Conference first-team pick...Played and started in ten games at the “X” receiver slot...Finished second on the team with 35 receptions for 743 yards (21.2 avg) and four touchdowns...Gained 31 yards on five carries (6.2 avg)...Returned 43 punts for 365 yards (8.5 avg) and a score...Added 336 yards on 17 kickoff returns (19.8 avg)...Averaged 147.5 all-purpose yards per game.

Spring Drills...Did not participate after undergoing surgery to repair the C-4 vertebrae (sagittal burst) in his neck.

California...Grabbed 6 passes for 80 yards, returned 4 kickoffs for 63 yards and gained 57 yards on 3 punt returns, including a 46-yard touchdown.

Washington State...Picked up 67 yards on 2 catches, 102 yards on 4 kickoff returns and 36 yards on 5 punt returns.

Air Force...Hauled in 8 passes for 95 yards, returned 4 kickoffs for 68 yards and 4 punts for 44 yards.

Utah State...Did not play (suspended for team rules violation).

San Diego State...Returned from his week’s vacation to catch touchdowns of 74 & 69 yards while also returning 6 punts for 56 yards.

Colorado State...Had 62 yards on a pair of catches, 48 yards on 6 punt returns and 66 yards on 2 kickoff returns.

New Mexico...Rushed twice for 20 yards, snared 6 passes for 70 yards, returned 2 kickoffs for 29 yards and 6 punts for 48 yards.

Nevada-Las Vegas...Made 3 catches for 86 yards, including 20 & 62-yard touchdowns.

Wyoming...Set up a score with a 72-yard reception.

1999 SEASON

All-Mountain West Conference first-team selection as a returner, adding second-team honors as a receiver...Played in eleven games, starting the final ten contests at the “X” receiver slot... Led the team with 43 receptions for 860 yards (20.0 avg) and eight touchdowns...Gained 21 yards on three carries (7.0 avg)...Returned six kickoffs for 169 yards (28.2 avg)...Added 495 yards on 29 punt returns (17.1 avg, fifth in the nation), including three touchdowns...His 495 yards and three scores set school season-records, surpassing the old marks of two touchdowns by Steve Odom (1972 and 1973) and Erroll Tucker (1985) and 389 yards by Tucker in 1985...Led the conference with an average of 140.5 all-purpose yards per game.

Washington State...Began his University of Utah career with 56 yards on 5 catches.

Utah State...Followed with 4 grabs for 74 yards.

Nevada-Las Vegas...Snatched 4 passes for 110 yards, including a 37-yard score, returned a kickoff 46 yards and a punt 20 yards.

Louisiana-Monroe...Made 4 catches for 90 yards with scores of 10 & 49 yards.

Air Force...Followed with 4 receptions for 45 yards with 13 & 61-yard touchdowns, adding 22 yards on a kickoff return and 110 yards on a pair of punt returns, including a 61-yard score.

San Diego State...Had 5 catches for 131 yards with touchdowns of 9 & 54 yards.

Colorado State...Gained 84 yards on 3 grabs, including a 59-yard touchdown.

New Mexico...Set a school game-record with 163 yards on 4 punt returns and tied an NCAA game-record by returning two of those for touchdowns of 52 & 70 yards, adding 70 yards on 4 catches...His 163 yards broke the old Utes mark of 152 by Erroll Tucker vs. Brigham Young in 1985.

Brigham Young...Returned 7 punts for 54 yards before hurting his neck...The injury would prevent him from playing vs. Fresno State in the Las Vegas Bowl.

JUNIOR COLLEGE

All-American honorable mention and All-Conference selection at Santa Monica (Cal.) Junior College (1997-98)...Once caught seven touchdown passes over a two-game stretch...Missed one game as a sophomore after being suspended for fighting.

AGILITY TESTS

4.35 in the 40-yard dash...2.8 in the 20-yard dash...1.75 in the 10-yard dash...38-inch vertical leap...10'0" broad jump...4.1 in the 20-yard shuttle.

HIGH SCHOOL

All-CIF and All-Metro League selection at University (Los Angeles, Cal.) High...All-City choice in track...Set a school high hurdles record.

PERSONAL

Family and Consumer Studies major...Cousin of former Philadelphia Eagles first round wide receiver, Mike Quick...Son of Florence Young and Steven Smith...Father ran track at Caly Poly, Pomona...Born Stevonne (pronounced STEVE-on) Smith on 5/12/79...Resides in Lynwood, California.

2006 NFL Draft

Greg Jennings, WR
Western Michigan
Overview | Analysis | Agility Notes | Injury Report
Career Notes | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Despite becoming only the 11th player in NCAA Division 1-A history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving three times in a career, this versatile athlete toiled in relative anonymity throughout his collegiate career. Still, when you look at his production as a Bronco, you can see that he ranks with the nation's elite.

Jennings was an all-Big Eight Conference selection during his senior season Kalamazoo Central High School. He earned all-state second-team honors as a junior and was listed 11th on the Detroit Free Press "Fabulous 50" rankings. Jennings also earned all-conference honors in three sports: football, basketball and track. The big-play receiver competed on the school's 4x100-meter relay team that made it to the state finals.

Jennings redshirted as a freshman in 2001 at Western Michigan. He missed four games in 2002 due to a broken bone in his left ankle. In eight games that year, he caught 10 passes for 138 yards, gained 15 yards on a reverse and totaled 58 yards on eight punt returns and 232 yards on eight kickoff returns (29.0 avg).

The 2003 season was Jennings' "coming out" party. He earned Southern Football Weekly All-America honors and was a second-team all-Mid American Conference choice. Jennings ranked second on the team with 56 catches for 1,050 yards (18.8 avg) and 14 touchdowns, becoming only the second player in school history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving in a season. He added 669 yards on 31 kickoff returns (21.6 avg) and gained 15 yards on four carries. His 1,734 all-purpose yards ranks second on the school single-season list.

The offensive team captain was an all-MAC first-team pick in 2004. He ranked eighth in the country with an average of 99.3 yards per game receiving. He led the team with 74 catches for 1,092 yards (14.8 avg) and 11 touchdowns, the second-best season totals in school history. Jennings also returned 21 punts for 311 yards (14.8 avg) and two scores, adding 12 yards on three carries to generate 1,415 all-purpose yards.

In 2005, Jennings led the nation with an average of 8.91 catches per game and ranked second with an average of 114.45 yards per game receiving. He set school season records with 98 receptions for 1,259 yards (12.8 avg) and tied his own 2003 mark with 14 touchdown catches. Jennings gained 50 yards on 10 carries, 172 yards on 20 punt returns (8.6 avg) and 20 yards on a pair of kickoff returns. He also completed 1 of 3 passes for a 22-yard touchdown.

In 42 games as a Bronco, Jennings started 34 times. He established school career records with 238 catches for 3,539 yards (14.9 avg) and 39 touchdowns. His 3,539 yards rank fourth and his 39 scores rank second on the Mid-American Conference's all-time list. He carried 18 times for 92 yards (5.1 avg), returned 49 punts for 541 yards (11.0 avg) and two scores and totaled 921 yards on 41 kickoff returns (22.5 avg). His 5,093 all-purpose yards set a WMU all-time record and ranks eighth in MAC history.

Return to Top

ANALYSIS

Positives: Shows good initial quickness and sudden burst coming off the line to avoid the jam...Has the shake-and-bake moves, loose hips and second gear to prevent defenders from rerouting him once he gets into his patterns...Has soft, natural hands, especially when tracking the ball over his shoulder...Good route-runner who might round his cuts at times, but shows the gliding stride to get in and out of his breaks...Does a nice job of keeping his feet when working along the sidelines...Runs with the ball securely and has the speed to get vertical and separate from slower defenders after the catch...Can run past defenders on returns, making good decisions, and shows the hip snap to redirect and squeeze through tight quarters.

Negatives: Has a lean, angular frame with marginal strength...Needs to add more bulk and power in order to absorb punishment at the next level, but his frame has room for only a little bit more growth...Likes to compete for the ball in traffic, but his smaller size and slight frame sees him get "ping-ponged" a lot trying to secure the ball in a crowd...His size and strength issues become evident when he is asked to block, as he lacks the hand strength to lock on and sustain at the line and does not seem to relish the idea of stalking and taking on linebackers as a cut blocker in the second level.

Jennings has a lean, angular frame and will need to add some more bulk in order to withstand punishment at the next level. He is a multi-talented athlete that is certainly capable of handling return duties in the professional ranks. He is a tough competitor who is a threat to score whether catching, running, returning or throwing the football.

Jennings displays good timed speed, but it is his sudden burst and acceleration that allows him to slip past defenders and make plays downfield. He shows good quickness when changing direction and has the hip snap, knee bend and flexibility to squeeze through tight quarters and gain additional yardage. He is an instinctive athlete who easily takes the plays from the board to the playing field.

Jennings is well-coordinated in his initial burst off the snap. He has a smooth release that allows him to cover ground and a gliding stride that will generally allow him to get underneath the ball to catch it cleanly. He has adequate strength but relies more on his second gear and avoidance skills to avoid the jam at the line of scrimmage. He is tough to reroute, as he uses his hip swerve effectively to shake and bake the defenders with quickness.

Jennings will sometimes round his cuts, but generally shows good precision as a route-runner. He glides in and out of his breaks to set up defenders and shows very good zone vision to spot the soft spot and settle in. When isolated one-on-one, he is very consistent at using his speed as a weapon to pull away from defenders.

He shows good body control on short routes, demonstrating good courage going across the field, and has good range with his hands to make adjustments in attempts to get to off-target throws. You can see on film his ability to track the ball over his shoulder. He has the second gear to elude in the open and uses good vision to find seams with his shake and wiggle.

Working in a crowd, Jennings has the toughness to make the catch and hold on securely while taking a hit. He shows no hesitation going up for jump balls, but lacks the strength to prevent more physical defenders from jolting him around a bit to prevent him from making the catch. After the catch, Jennings can elude, but will go down from initial contact to due his size and strength limitations.

Jennings is generally a non-factor as a blocker due to a lack of bulk, size and power. He seems to shy away from stalking linebackers upfield and is not the type who will cut in the second level or compete to stay on blocks when working in-line.

His return skills will help him secure a roster spot at the next level and few can question his natural hands ability. But he needs to add more bulk and strength to his frame in order to be a consistent performer at the next level. A lack of ideal muscle mass will see him take a lot of punishing hits, but his frame might not have the room for the additional growth he needs. For a change-of-pace receiver or one to play in the slot, he will bring good value as a second-day draft prospect.

Return to Top

AGILITY NOTES

Campus: 4.53 in the 40-yard dash...290-pound bench press...33-inch vertical jump...30 ¾-inch arm length...9 ¼-inch hands...Right-handed...18/34 Wonderlic score.

Return to Top

INJURY REPORT

2002: Suffered a broken bone in his left ankle vs. Virginia Tech (9/28), missing the Buffalo, Central Florida, Bowling Green and Northern Illinois games.

Return to Top

CAREER NOTES

Jennings is only the 11th player in NCAA Division 1-A history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving three times in a career...His 238 receptions set a school career record, topping the old mark of 235 by Steven Neal (1997-2000)...His 238 catches tied Dante Ridgeway of Ball State (2002-04) for third on the Mid-American Conference career list behind Josh Davis of Marshall (306, 2001-04) and Darius Watts of Marshall (272, 2000-03)...His 3,539 yards receiving rank second in school history behind Neal's 3,599 and is fourth in MAC history behind Neal, Watts (3,889) and Davis (4,031)...His 39 touchdown catches broke the previous WMU career record of 27 by Neal and is topped only by Watts' 47 in conference history...His 541 yards on 49 punt returns rank fourth in school history...Jennings' career total of 5,093 all-purpose yards broke the old school record of 4,609 yards by Robert Sanford (1997-2000) and ranks eighth on the Mid-American Conference career list.

Return to Top

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Kalamazoo (Mich.) Central High School, playing football for head coach Bob Kubiak...All-Big Eight Conference selection during his senior season...Earned all-state second-team honors as a junior and was listed 11th on the Detroit Free Press "Fabulous 50" rankings...Also earned all-conference honors in three sports: football, basketball and track...Competed on the school's 4x100-meter relay team that made it to the state finals.

Return to Top

PERSONAL

Organizational Communications major...Son of Gwendolyn and Greg Jennings...Father is a pastor and mother is a minister...Born 9/21/83 in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

"Stevonne" Smith (LOL) = 4.35 in the 40 ... Jennings = 4.53 in the 40 ... it's only the same for people who are lysdexic :D

But that being said, Jennings has shown he is fast enough to make huge plays. That may be all the speed he needs.

RashanGary
09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
I think that 4.5 thing was a really bad 40 for him. He ran others in teh 4.4 range.

VegasPackFan
09-25-2006, 01:03 AM
All I know is that this guy is contributing immediately at a position where this is not common - for rookies to start and perform like this.

It leaves the imagination running wild with potential......

the_idle_threat
09-25-2006, 01:04 AM
I think that 4.5 thing was a really bad 40 for him. He ran others in teh 4.4 range.

I think you're right ... I recall hearing a number like 4.45 at one point. I'll look around some more. But then again, maybe Smith's 4.35 was a bad time for him too. Smith is clearly faster, but if Jennings makes big plays, we won't be complaining. :D

BallHawk
09-25-2006, 07:06 AM

If Jennings were a few inches taller, he wouldn't of been playing for us, he would of been drafted way earlier.

red
09-25-2006, 07:44 AM
the jennings 40 time is somewhat of a mystery. its pretty much different on every draft site you go to.

i've gone to 4 sites just now and i've seen 4 difefrent times

4.54, 4.53, 4.48, and 4.46

and i want to say i remember seeing some sites mention low 4.4, or even high 4.3

so i don't think anyone has any clue what he can actually run

but he looks pretty fast to me

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I think Jennings ran in the low 4.5s at the combine, and then came back and ran in the mid 4.4s at his campus workout. Interesting though that he had the fast 3 cone and short shuttle times among his receiving group at the combine. A lot of times that's more important than the straight 40. Hawk had similar results at LB. His 40 time was good, but not great. However, his 3 cone and short shuttles were outstanding.

RashanGary
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I think Jennings ran in the low 4.5s at the combine, and then came back and ran in the mid 4.4s at his campus workout. Interesting though that he had the fast 3 cone and short shuttle times among his receiving group at the combine. A lot of times that's more important than the straight 40. Hawk had similar results at LB. His 40 time was good, but not great. However, his 3 cone and short shuttles were outstanding.

Yeah...Another thing about Jennings is that he can be running full speed and still have the coordination to make football moves and get in positon for passes. Being a WR, you have to run, adjust, catch...Jennings can do it all at full speed and he does it with ease.

He's got a lot more speed and explosion than guys like Anquan Boldin so I'm sure he's got more than enough to have some probowl years.

RashanGary
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Nice comparison to Hawk....Hawk, Jennings, Hodge, Spitz...They all just play football at a high level.

red
09-25-2006, 09:29 AM

i think the times were the opposite

the 4.5's came at his capus workout, and the 4.4's came at the combine

at least thats the way the sites i saw made it sound

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Either way, let teams underestimate his speed (they never underestimate Smith) and he can torch them for 73-yard touchdowns. I don't care what he ran at which workout. He could have run a 5.7 but if he can stick it to the defenders, that's what matters. May he be sticking it to defenders while wearing green & gold for a long, long time.

Cheesehead Craig
09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
There are times when you see Jennings run routes or catch a ball and you swear it's Driver. He's going to be something special.

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Didn't Coach keep making that mistake in preseason?

lod01
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM

If he keeps this pace for 2006, other players will be soon referred to as a poor man's Greg Jennings. Smith only put up 10 catches his rookie year.

BooHoo
09-25-2006, 01:40 PM
I am pleased with the performance of Jennings over his first three games. He has great potential and it will be interesting to see how he develops. He has already made a positive impact on the team. As he gains more confidence he might even be a bigger threat. Great draft pick!

jack's smirking revenge
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM

That'd make one helluva mascot.

Or a CIA/FBI science experiment gone VERY bad.

tyler