PDA

View Full Version : DC Bob Sanders let players make calls

mmmdk
09-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders left it up to his players to make the calls (at half time).

As a result, the Lions managed only a fourth-quarter field goal, while punting twice and giving it up on downs.

"He sat everybody down with 13 minutes to play and just told us, 'I'm going to give you all the calls,'" Carroll said of Sanders. "He asked us what we wanted to call. We told him, and we went out there and played."

Gutsy? I think so but it also has me a bit worried. 'Cos it could be interpreted that Sanders is clueless calling plays. What do you think?

Sef0r
09-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Unbelievable. I'm guessing highway-28 was not suppose to say anything to the media about this because I am with you on being worried that maybe, just maybe Sanders may not know what he is doing.

Either that or he got sick of calling plays the Defense doesn't know how to execute.

cpk1994
09-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Unbelievable. I'm guessing highway-28 was not suppose to say anything to the media about this because I am with you on being worried that maybe, just maybe Sanders may not know what he is doing.

Either that or he got sick of calling plays the Defense doesn't know how to execute.
I wouldn't worry. Mike Holmgren was known to get fed up with the Offense at times during games and would give the playcalling to Sherman Lewis. Now granted its not the players in that case, but handing over playcalling isn't something new.

red
09-25-2006, 08:01 AM
well, it looks like we can get rid of sanders then, if the team sucks when he's making the decisions, and they look good when he's not. then get rid of him

Lurker64
09-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, if our defensive players have their heads in the game enough to be able to diagnose the offense and successfully figure out what to do, and then actually go out and execute, I would have to say that's a good sign. I think this is less an issue of "Sander's doesn't know what to call" and more of an issue of "motivating the D." I mean, if you can't execute what the coach wants you to run and you can't execute what you want to run, how much pride can you have as a defensive player.

I'm not sure we want to make a habit of it, but it at least reflects well on our defense mentally.

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Whatever works. It worked. They called the plays as a team and executed as a team.

chewy-bacca
09-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I guess if it helps communication, Im all for it!! The more they talk about things back there, the better.

Maybe start that before the game, plan it as a group leading up to the game. and then work it as a group. :?:

GoPack06
09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
i think it gives the players confidence. They played alot better in the second half.

rdanomly
09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Which player called the plays then? Was it Manual, Collins, who?

oregonpackfan
09-25-2006, 09:48 AM
If it was up to a specific player, I would hope it would be someone like Barnett or Harris. Heaven help the Packers if it is Carroll!

OPF

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Whoever did it did a pretty good job.

Partial
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I would guess Manual. I don't think they did a good job, either.

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Better than the first half.

Guiness
09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Maybe it was Corey Williams, and the play call went something like this:

If any of you f'ers let someone convert a 3rd and long after that sack I just made, I'm gona come over there and sit on you!

KYPack
09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Which player called the plays then? Was it Manual, Collins, who?

It would normally be the mike (Barnette) or the Safety (Manual)

They have the best view of the field. Leroy used to make most of the calls from the bench for Fritz, but the mike would make game calls (audibles), for instance.

Brainerd
09-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Too funny. Even his own dang self knows he's not qualified. I now have renewed hope for the season assuming he continues to be so self-aware and introspective.

Chester Marcol
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
I hear next week Magic 8 ball is calling the defense.

jack's smirking revenge
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I was calling the plays. That's why I couldn't watch the game at the Park Tavern.

tyler

Fritz
09-25-2006, 01:56 PM
It actually kind of depends on the context of the situation. If Sander was desperate and at a loss, then it's the picture of a guy who's in over his head. If he used this deliberate tactic to motivate his guys and give them a sense of "ownership," then he's a guy who's comfortable in his skin and doesn't mind handing over the authority for a bit if it means his D will work better.

FritzDontBlitz
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Too funny. Even his own dang self knows he's not qualified. I now have renewed hope for the season assuming he continues to be so self-aware and introspective.

i don't have a problem with the defenders calling the plays, its the way games used to be called anyway before coaches got so bigheaded they felt they had to spoon feed the players everything. if carroll was referring to the 4th quarter defense - and he did say the last 13 minutes - then they definitely played better when they called the plays themselves. i assume the one who took over the playcalling was manuel and not barnett because manuel has been to the big dance so he should know a little more about running a successful defense than barnett.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Jason Wilde said on his radio show that Sanders was very disappointed today. Defense gave up too many big plays.

Packers4Ever
09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
If it was up to a specific player, I would hope it would be someone like Barnett or Harris. Heaven help the Packers if it is Carroll!

OPF

Gee what ever makes you feel that way ?? :lol:

VegasPackFan
09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
This explains it. I was SURE I saw certain defenders playing rock-paper-scissors in the huddle!!

Terry
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Actually, I thought it was an excellent move. Well, obviously, since it worked. But I also felt quite encouraged by it - it immediately raised Sanders in my esteem. For one thing, like a number here already said, it could do wonders for player confidence. I feel like I've been waiting 40 years, since Lombardi, for a coach who could effectively use some psychology in coaching. I thought it was a vote of confidence for the coaching staff too AND even for himself. Mostly, I thought it showed a guy who is flexible in his overall approach and that's a very rare thing.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I hear next week Magic 8 ball is calling the defense.

Good stuff.

Chester Marcol
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanx Harv.

The one thing that Detroit did offensively to kill us, and I'm assuming this must have been zone coverage on our part, was when they lined up one reciever on Woodson's side, then sent a reciever in motion to the outside of that reciever, forcing Woodson to move outside and leaving a safety to cover the guy that Woodson left. That was one of the times that our safeties got burnt for a long gain/score. If our safeties dont learn to cover better and we don't ditch the zone coverage, I can see teams motion that way against us all the time when we are in zone coverage. Anyone else notice this? If it was me, I would motion the crappiest reciever outside so Woodson is now covering a guy who runs like he has cement shoes and leave the better reciever to the inside for the safety to try and cover.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
New Orleans did the same thing with Reggie Bush. Woodson took Bush. Poppinga was left to "defend" Joe Horn. That needs to get addressed. I'm surprised they were burned on it against Detroit--after getting burned on it by New Orleans.

pbmax
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanx Harv.

The one thing that Detroit did offensively to kill us, and I'm assuming this must have been zone coverage on our part, was when they lined up one reciever on Woodson's side, then sent a reciever in motion to the outside of that reciever, forcing Woodson to move outside and leaving a safety to cover the guy that Woodson left. That was one of the times that our safeties got burnt for a long gain/score. If our safeties dont learn to cover better and we don't ditch the zone coverage, I can see teams motion that way against us all the time when we are in zone coverage. Anyone else notice this? If it was me, I would motion the crappiest reciever outside so Woodson is now covering a guy who runs like he has cement shoes and leave the better reciever to the inside for the safety to try and cover.
There is a problem with the defensive play you describe, but it isn't zone pass coverage.

The question should be why weren't we in nickel or dime?

Safeties don't get assigned to WRs because they are in zone coverage. They get assigned because there wasn't a thrid CB over there to take the motion man.

Chester Marcol
09-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanx Harv.

There is a problem with the defensive play you describe, but it isn't zone pass coverage.

Safeties don't get assigned to WRs because they are in zone coverage. They get assigned because there wasn't a thrid CB over there to take the motion man.

Won't a man in motion tell you if a defense is most likely in man coverage or not? If it was man, wouldn't the DB that was on that reciever that went into motion stay on him? I realize even in man coverage recievers get passed off, but I thought that was the purpose of motion. Try to see if the defense is in zone or man. I don't have the game to watch again, but i will be watching closer the next game to see nickel/dime or zone/man and if Philly exploits whatever it was we were doing.

pbmax
09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanx Harv.

Won't a man in motion tell you if a defense is most likely in man coverage or not? If it was man, wouldn't the DB that was on that reciever that went into motion stay on him? I realize even in man coverage recievers get passed off, but I thought that was the purpose of motion. Try to see if the defense is in zone or man. I don't have the game to watch again, but i will be watching closer the next game to see nickel/dime or zone/man and if Philly exploits whatever it was we were doing.
Yes, if there was a CB on the other side who wasn't already occupied with a WR.

I believe Harris had a WR and the motion dude moved from one slot to the other, or from the wing/backfield to the slot.

I haven't seen the replays, but IIRC, it was a three WR set and we were in base. And I think we were in base either off down and distance or because Jones started out by running us over like a truck.