PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Coach of Week-MMQB

MJZiggy
09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Coach of the Week

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay. With hounds baying at the Lambeau gates over a variety of things -- most prominently, losing two straight at home to start the season, including one to the Saints -- McCarthy got his team ready to play in a hostile environment at Ford Field on Sunday. The first win of his coaching career, 31-24 over the toothless Leos, was enough to merit a game-ball presentation from his captains.

Quote of the Week II

"We need this win a lot more than I needed my 400th touchdown pass.''
-- Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, who actually threw three touchdown passes (the 400th, 401st and 402nd of his career) in the Packers' first win of the season, 31-24 at Detroit.

Finally, some props from someone...

Packers4Ever
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Coach of the Week

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay. With hounds baying at the Lambeau gates over a variety of things -- most prominently, losing two straight at home to start the season, including one to the Saints -- McCarthy got his team ready to play in a hostile environment at Ford Field on Sunday. The first win of his coaching career, 31-24 over the toothless Leos, was enough to merit a game-ball presentation from his captains.

Quote of the Week II

"We need this win a lot more than I needed my 400th touchdown pass.''
-- Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, who actually threw three touchdown passes (the 400th, 401st and 402nd of his career) in the Packers' first win of the season, 31-24 at Detroit.

Finally, some props from someone...

I'm starting to get a good feeling here.... :wink:

Bretsky
09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm Drinking the Mac Kool Aide this week. I was infinitely down on his game plan and play calling week one. Each week has improved.

He deserves coach of the week.

B

mngolf19
09-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I think it was a good win the Pack got, but not a coach of the week job. I think there are some other wins this week that deserve that more. NO for instance and maybe even IND for their tough win. Or Chi. These teams all had much tougher wins and in some cases (NO) low expectations. You guys beat the Lions. That usually isn't worth much.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Childress should have gotten for keeping his team in the game--against a superior opponent.

MJZiggy
09-26-2006, 12:09 PM
NO sure, but he wrote the column Monday Morning.

Terry
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, I think McCarthy deserved it as much as anyone.

Not because some other coaches, as mentioned, didn't bring their teams through even more difficult games. Not because other coaches haven't done at least as much and sometimes more in preparing their teams. But because of the steady development visible to all viewers in a team that had been viewed as virtually ready for the trashheap, aside from a few notable exceptions.

Let's not stain the moment by second guessing it. If I want to read that sort of thing, I can read any thread in sight in which Cliff Christl's name appears in the subject line.