PDA

View Full Version : PACKER NEEDS, BRETSKY'S WANTS, AND RANDOM MUSINGS

Bretsky
04-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Ron Wolf use to do some wonderful interviews with Bob McGinn around this time. Many of them actually led to McGinn predicting the correct Packer Green Bay would draft. I'd be pretty surprised if TT came out of his closet to give the media some juice. So here's my juice.

QB

Have: either 1) Favre 2) Rodgers 3) ?
OR 1) Rodgers 2) vet FA from scrapheap 3) ?

Need: A second day pick will probably be spent on a new clipboard jockey. I think the rumors of Ted's interest in Vince Young are mostly smoke. Ted wants Packer guys (which he seems to define as tough, blue collar, hard working ). Say what you will about Young's prospects as a pro, but he fits what TT seems to want.

If TT thinks AROD doesn't have the talent to lead this team, it would not surprise me to hear Young's name called. I'd be disappointed, but not surprised.
RB

Have: 1) Green 2) Davenport 3) Gado 4) Henderson; 5)Leach

Need: A Green in his prime would've been good for zone blocking scheme. Healthy he's still good enough for now. Davenport and Gado have potential to be alright if needed. Henderson is solid. If a big time runner falls into their lap in the 2nd (Like Maroney or White) or the third (like Calhoun) maybe they take one, otherwise they can get by this year with what they have. When I look at the above group, the one thing I don't see is a really good pass catching back. Joseph Addai or Bryan Calhoun would be a nice fit; Calhoun is most likely if he falls to round 3.

WR

Have: 1) Driver 2) Gardner 3) Ferguson 4) Boerigter; 5)Walker/Murphy

Need: A Quality WR

This is the most horrific draft for WR's I can ever remember. And if Javon Whiner holds out the above group is troubling. Driver is fine, Garner makes an OK #3, Ferguson is a fraud, and Boerigter at best is a 4. Murhphy is tough to rely on. I'd expect them to grab a guy in rounds 3-5, and it would be nice if he's a stud return man as well. If they are smart they will grab Brandon Williams, who'd fit the bill for both. But if they are hung up on tall guys versus solid football players they'll grab a project and pray he develops.

TE

Have: 1) Franks 2) Lee 3) Martin

Need: none

Vernon Davis could be a great one, but only if they miss Hawk and Williams. They can live with the group they have

OT

Have: 1 LT) Clifton 1 RT) Tauscher 2 LT) Klemm 2 RT) Barry (could move to G)

Need: We are fine

C

Have: Wells and White

I think Wells is fine there. I think the only way we consider a C is if a highly ranked player, like Nick Mangold, slips and he's too good to pass up.

OG

Have: Nothing Proven

Need: more quality

This group was a nightmare last year, and Ted Thompson has chosen to do absolutely nothing in free agency to improve the position. Blind faith would say we'll be fine due to changing scheme, but regardless of the scheme we still need better talent to have a chance there. They need to grab a couple bodies to compete here; maybe one of the Gopher Slugs or Joseph. But they need to add talent at the position of OG or they are setting themselves up for another long season where fans once again wish we could see Mike Wahle back in Green n Gold

DE

Have: 1) Kampman 2) KGB 3) Montgomery 4) Peterson

Need: More consistency and a Playmaker

If Williams falls, he looks to be a project that could develop into the all around impact DE the Packers have craved for years. Based on what I've read, however, he has much to learn and we should not expect him to be an immediate playmaker. If they take this guy, they better have done their homework and be confident he has a KGB like attitude. The talent is there if he decides to maximize it. Frankly my preference is to draft Hawk and then a guy like Tamba Hali in the 2nd.

DT

Have: 1 NT) Pickett 2 NT) Cole 1 DT) Jenkins 2 DT) C. Williams

Need: Be nice for one more run stuffer, but we might be OK there

It would be ideal to bring in one more potentially dominant force in the middle, but Ngata is NOT that guy. Our NT is good enough if we believe TT is competent by targeting Pickett. Jenkins is a decent try hard guy who should be average. Williams still needs to prove himself, and if Pederson continues to develop he can become average as well. I would not be surprised to see a 2nd rounder like Gabe Watson or a 3rd to compete with this group.

LB

Have: 1 MLB) Barnett 1 SLB) Taylor 1 WLB) ??; also Thomas, Manning, etc.

Need: At MINIMUM one Starter.

Hawk is my guy. To me he's the safest pick in this draft. I think Hawk will safely be at least a healthy Dan Morgan and could be an Urlacher. I think Mario Williams could be a Julius Peppers or a Courtney Brown. This defense needs a personality, and one who will step forward with the intensity and fiery leadership to take this defense to the next level. AJ Hawk is a Packer person. AJ Hawk can be the leader of our forceful defense for the next 12 years. I want a smash mouth football player. I want AJ Hawk. The Packers would also be well served drafting at least one additional LB as well. Manning showed promise early season, but when given the opportunity he showed little the second half of the season. Kurt Campbell is junk.

CB

Have: 1) Harris 2) Carroll 3) Hawkins 4) Horton or Dendy

Need: Somebody to displace or at least bring out the fire in Ahmad Carroll

If a CB slips, I would not be surprised to see them go here in round 2 or 3. And if the Anti Badger Scouts neglect to take Brandon Williams, it'd be nice to grab a CB who can return as well. If TT can locate his wallet and find the way through all the dust, he can also take care of this position by signing Charles Woodson. If we add picks, we should be able to find players to displace the sub par Horton and Dendy.

S

Have: 1) Collins 2) Manuel 3) Underwood 4) Roman

Need: Upgrade Roman

Roman is nothing special; find a guy to replace him. Or just go trade the guy for anything you can get, even a late round pick. Dealing with talented whiners is one thing, but dealing with a below average whiner
is another. Like CB, if they stockpile picks it would be nice to grab a couple S/CB projects later in the draft.

Our Kicker is jackshit and our Punter is Dumb Shit

TT will bring in some bodies to compete. Personally I like the powerful leg and field goal ability of the Memphis kicker...I think his last name is Gastrowski. Look for TT to bring in the best bodies he can to compete.

NOTE: idea for this concept stolen from another area and I liked it so I decided to personalize my own.

RashanGary
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Bretsky,

I think there are some really good CB's who could slip to the early second. It's really hard to predict that far down in the draft but there are a lot of good CB's and one could be there.

If I had to pick a position that has the most quality from 20-40 it is DB this year. Specifically CB.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
I agree with Nick on the fact there are a lot of good corners to be had in the first few rounds. Even if a guy like Cromartie or Jefferson don't drop, you have a handful of guys that would be good picks in the top of the second round (Kelly Jennings, Ashton Youbouty, Richard Marshall) or the top of the third round (Alan Zemaitis, Cedric Griffin, DeMario Minter, Dee Webb).

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
If TT thinks AROD doesn't have the talent to lead this team, it would not surprise me to hear Young's name called. I'd be disappointed, but not surprised.

I've posted this a couple times already, but what's a little repetition among friends? Bringing in another QB does not mean the PAckers are disappointed in ARod. He hasn't played yet. He's a question mark, just like Vince Young is a question mark. The Packers need another QB, they will take a QB at whatever round they find a prospect to be a good value.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
LB

Have: 1 MLB) Barnett 1 SLB) Taylor 1 WLB) ??; also Thomas, Manning, etc.

Need: At MINIMUM one Starter.

Hawk is my guy. To me he's the safest pick in this draft. I think Hawk will safely be at least a healthy Dan Morgan and could be an Urlacher. I think Mario Williams could be a Julius Peppers or a Courtney Brown. This defense needs a personality, and one who will step forward with the intensity and fiery leadership to take this defense to the next level. AJ Hawk is a Packer person. AJ Hawk can be the leader of our forceful defense for the next 12 years. I want a smash mouth football player. I want AJ Hawk. The Packers would also be well served drafting at least one additional LB as well. Manning showed promise early season, but when given the opportunity he showed little the second half of the season. Kurt Campbell is junk.

I wouldn't count out Poppinga yet. He might contribute this year. We need at least one starting LB, and possibly two since I'm not completely sure Taylor is the answer.