PDA

View Full Version : Packers no longer America's team

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Posted: Sept. 26, 2006
Bob Wolfley

The Green Bay Packers, who have been America's team for the last four seasons, surrendered that title in this year's Harris Poll of National Football League fans.

America's favorite pro football team is the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, but the Packers remained near the top, finishing fourth this year.

Harris Interactive conducted a poll Sept. 7-13 of 2,747 adult respondents, 1,306 of whom said they followed pro football. The latter group was asked to name their two favorite NFL teams. Harris has conducted the same poll every year since 1998.

The Steelers, who beat Seattle in last season's Super Bowl, were chosen by 16% of the respondents, the most for any team. Next were the Dallas Cowboys (15%), followed by the Indianapolis Colts (13%), Packers (11%), New England Patriots (9%) and Chicago Bears (9%).

Named by the fewest respondents were the Jacksonville Jaguars (1%) and New Orleans Saints (2%).

Advertisement

Since 2002, the Packers have finished first or tied for first. Until this season, the only two teams to finish first in the Harris poll were the Packers and the Cowboys.

gbpackfan
09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Who cares. America's Team. What a retarded honor. I say that because fair weather fans control who is America's team.

Joemailman
09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I wonder what Texaspackerbacker would have to say about this.

ahaha
09-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Until this season, the only two teams to finish first in the Harris poll were the Packers and the Cowboys.

Wow, that's amazing. I wonder how long they've been conducting this poll. If it stretches back through the 80's and 70's, it would be an amazing statement about the Pack's popularity throughout the country. I know the Packers have been popular, but damn, in the top two every single year...WOW!

pbmax
09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
The Colts? Really?

Peyton Manning is that well known? Liked?

Cut that meat! Cut that meat!

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Year in, year out this list has Green Bay and Dallas at the top. Usually, Pittsburgh is amongst the leaders. Then, a few flavor of the months (e.g. the Super Bowl winner) show up in the top 7.

Rastak
09-26-2006, 09:51 PM

You'll never know, the dipshit likely got himself banned at JSO and he didn't like this site because of the "limited audience".

NewsBruin
09-26-2006, 10:01 PM
<<Peyton Manning is that well known? Liked>>

Well, he's in every other commercial on an NFL game.

When I die, I want to be reincarnated as his agent's kid.

oregonpackfan
09-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Now, if the Packers had shapely, scantily-clad cheerleaders, I am sure they would be America's #1 team! :lol:

OPF

FavreChild
09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I thought we were told last night that the Saints are now America's Team?

This label has lost its meaning...

Tyrone Bigguns
09-26-2006, 11:50 PM

God damn disloyal traitorous scumbags. This is clearly an anti packer bias resulting from the treachorous leftist MSM.

The economy is great, we are winning the war in Iraq, electing a democrat would clearly compromise national security, the moon is made of swiss cheese.

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 12:00 AM
The Bears even got some of the votes? yeah, that alone makes this poll lose it's credibility

KYPack
09-27-2006, 07:06 AM
The Bears even got some of the votes? yeah, that alone makes this poll lose it's credibility

No, No GBM.

The Bears are America's Monster.

GrnBay007
09-27-2006, 07:33 AM

No, No GBM.

The Bears are America's Monster.

....of the Midway! :razz:

chewy-bacca
09-27-2006, 07:49 AM
This label has lost its meaning...

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 09:41 AM
This label should not even exist--for the Packers OR for the Cowboys or for any other team. It's retarded and arrogant. I will never consider the Cowboys "America's Team" or any team for that matter. I'm American and the Packers are my team, but I don't consider them the preferred team or the representative team of America.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm American and the Packers are my team,

me too! God bless you, Tyler. God Bless America!

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
This label should not even exist--for the Packers OR for the Cowboys or for any other team. It's retarded and arrogant. I will never consider the Cowboys "America's Team" or any team for that matter. I'm American and the Packers are my team, but I don't consider them the preferred team or the representative team of America.

I don't take it that seriously. I think there's little doubt that the Cowboys and Packers have the biggest national following--for various reasons. The Steelers are a close third. It wouldn't be a thought if the Cowboys hadn't arrogantly annoited themselves "America's Team"--which rubs people (e.g. Packer fans) the wrong way. Do we even think about this label in other sports? Not really. The Yankees in baseball and the Celts and Lakers in basketball have the biggest followings in their respective sports, but nobody labels them "America's Team."

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 10:17 AM

I don't take it that seriously. I think there's little doubt that the Cowboys and Packers have the biggest national following--for various reasons. The Steelers are a close third. It wouldn't be a thought if the Cowboys hadn't arrogantly annoited themselves "America's Team"--which rubs people (e.g. Packer fans) the wrong way. Do we even think about this label in other sports? Not really. The Yankees in baseball and the Celts and Lakers in basketball have the biggest followings in their respective sports, but nobody labels them "America's Team."

I don't take it seriously either, but it annoys the PISS out of me when I see it in marketing. The America's Team chatter has died down in recent years, but I'm still bitter from when it was at its peak. That arrogance is contemptible and, yes, its propogated by marketing, but man I just wish it would go away.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm American and the Packers are my team,

me too! God bless you, Tyler. God Bless America!

Need a tissue?

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Need a tissue?

tyler

actually, yes. See Romper Room thread.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Need a tissue?

tyler

actually, yes. See Romper Room thread.

I just saw that. I think you need more than a tissue. Probably a roll of Downy to clean your keyboard.

Ick, Harlan. Way Ick.

:D

tyler

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Perhaps it's just a marketing quirk..."let's survey 2,000 people. But don't make any long-distance calls" he says from his office at Pitt...

KYPack
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I had an old VHS tape Titled The History of the Packers narrated by Ray Scott.

it was subtitled, "The Grandstand Franchise -Owned by the fans in the Stands"

Not too catchy, but I liked it.

We should have a permanent label for the Pack, rather than a popularity contest for that crappy "America's Team" tag.

I hate that thing about as much as Tyler does.

Terry
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
No one has to get too upset until some other city decides to dub itself "Titletown".

Then it'll be time to pull out all the James Madison quotes and start talking about a second revolution.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 01:12 PM

Now it's not the Bears per see but ...

the TV Comedy Sitcom Show...is it "According to Jim" ?? starring Jim Belushi? That is pretty good when I'm sluming at the TV some ocassional evening ....which is rare.

That show emphasizes "da Bears" as the Team Jim B. supports and there's all these Bear Jerseys and T-Shirts.He eats da Bears cereal and ice cream bars... no he doesn't. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
That's because Jim Belushi is a Bear fan in real life. Came out of Second City Chicago. I know, shocking, but now we know the man does have a major flaw.

prsnfoto
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
packers suck set farve free :twisted: