PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Owens overdose...

Astonishment
09-27-2006, 08:41 AM
ESPN radio is reporting that TO tried to commit suicide and was rushed to the Hospital to have his stomach pumped. When the police asked him if he tried to harm himself he said yes.

Regardless of your feelings of TO this is a very sad situation. My hopes and prayers are with him.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I read that he had a bad reaction to meds he was giving for his surgery. Yo gotta link to that suicide stuff? Just seems like owens loves himself to much to do that.

Astonishment
09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Sorry no link, just turn on ESPN radio. Yes the allergic reaction was what was originally reported, but the police have released the accurate report.

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
He did WHAT? But, but but, WHY??? Hopefully when they're done with his stomach they'll start on his head. Do they have mandatory inpatient for suicide attempts in TX? As much as I didn't want him on our team, I do hope he recovers fine and gets some help.

Oscar
09-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I just heard it on Mike and Mike as well. THey say its all over the Dallas news.

Packnut
09-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Unfreaknin believable! The man has everything and tries to end it?

WTF

mmmdk
The link on ESPN reads: Report: Owens hospitalized after suicide attempt

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

The article tells another story though.

Didn't Hershall Walker try suicide & rumors on Deion Sanders too? Scary, and I hope the best for T.O. though I do not believe it was suicide.

Rastak
From ESPN:

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens ingested several pain killers in a suicide attempt, according to a report released by the Dallas police Wednesday, Dallas television station WFAA reported.

According to the report cited by the TV station, when police asked Owens if he tried to hurt himself, he said yes.

Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night. A source close to Owens told ESPN's Ed Werder early Wednesday that Owens was suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand.

"This is not serious," Owens' publicist Kim Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

Doctors treating the Dallas Cowboys receiver were trying to induce vomiting when he arrived at Baylor Medical Center, according to a television report.

Owens was brought by a fire rescue crew to the hospital, Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT reported, citing sources the television station did not identify. A reporter for the station later said she saw Owens being wheeled down the hall.

Calls from The Associated Press to Owens' agent, his publicist and the Cowboys were not immediately returned Tuesday night. The hospital told the AP that they do not have a patient registered by Owens' name; however, federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens fractured the fourth metacarpal bone in the Cowboys' victory over the Washington Redskins and underwent surgery on Sept. 18. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells mentioned in a press conference shortly thereafter that pain medication had made Owens ill, apparently making this the second time he has had an adverse reaction. The incident that sent him to the hospital Tuesday night apparently occurred sometime after Owens took medication after catching passes at the Cowboys' facility on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the Cowboys also practiced without tight end Jason Witten, whose wife was having a baby. Wide receiver Terry Glenn practiced, albeit with several stitches in his thumb.

"He was trying to cut some tape off his uniform," Parcells said. "He had his hand down in his pants and he missed. Fortunately he cut his hand."

With the Cowboys having had a bye last weekend, Owens could return without having missed a game. Before Tuesday's late developments, Owens said he would play Oct. 8, when he gets to face his former team, the Eagles, in Philadelphia.

mmmdk
09-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Oh I read too fast! From the article:

According to the report cited by the TV station, when police asked Owens if he tried to hurt himself, he said yes.

Still, it's hearsay. More info is needed from a primary source.

Rastak
09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Cowboys star receiver Terrell Owens swallowed prescription pain medication Tuesday night in an apparent attempt to harm himself, according to a Dallas Police Department report released Wednesday morning.

A source who spoke to WFAA-TV called it a suicide attempt.

The police report says the complainant “stated that he was depressed” and that he had emptied a bottle of pain pills and was trying to harm himself, the report said.

Owens was transported to Baylor University Medical Center.

According to the KTVT-TV, doctors treated him by attempting to induce vomiting. The police report said he was treated for a drug overdose.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said late Tuesday he was unaware of Owens’ trip to the hospital, and Owens’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and publicist, Kim Etheridge, could not be reached for comment.

Last week, according to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, Owens had a reaction to the pain medicine he was given following surgery in which a plate was inserted into his right hand to stabilize a fractured fourth metacarpal. Parcells said Owens became ill and could not work out, but he was improved the next day.

On Tuesday, Owens did not speak with the media, but he appeared to be in good spirits.

He continued conditioning work on the side with associate trainer Britt Brown and caught passes. He was wearing gloves and had his ring and middle fingers on his right hand taped together.

Earlier Tuesday, Parcells said Owens would practice some today and he had not ruled Owens out from playing Sunday at Tennessee. Owens was wearing a bone growth simulator Tuesday to help the healing process. According to Parcells, the swelling in Owens’ hand had gone down, and the biggest challenge for Owens would be handling the pain of catching passes.

“I have to see him out there being a confident player,” Parcells said. “I don’t want him out there thinking about something. If it’s going act as a deterrent, I don’t want that because that would eventually hurt us. But if he can get to the point where it looks like he can function and he feels pretty good about it (then Parcells would play him).

“I’m talking to him every day, seeing how he’s doing. We’re moving forward. We have a lot of time between now and the game.”

Guiness
09-27-2006, 09:24 AM
No new info, but here's another source http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216026,00.html

:?: :?: :?:

Who knows?

MasonCrosby
09-27-2006, 09:25 AM
i imagine owens and rosenhaus hatched the plan and owens consumed the pills while rosenhaus called the paramedics...

but i hope he gets better

Partial
09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Anyone else think this is a publicity stunt based on his publicist being the one to break the story?

mraynrand
09-27-2006, 09:30 AM
All this concern about Owens, what about Glenn?

From the article: ""He was trying to cut some tape off his uniform," Parcells said. "He had his hand down in his pants and he missed. Fortunately he cut his hand." "

Looks like Glenn came close to clipping off his weasel. OUCH!

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Anyone else think this is a publicity stunt based on his publicist being the one to break the story?

Who could possibly need publicity that badly. If TO want pub. all he has to do is open his mouth (or catching a ball will usually do the trick as well).

pbmax
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Could be that the person he is closet to IS his publicity agent.

But all joking aside, I hope he is OK, gets better and plays. It much more fun to watch him play than listen to him.

pbmax
09-27-2006, 09:41 AM

From the article: ""He was trying to cut some tape off his uniform," Parcells said. "He had his hand down in his pants and he missed. Fortunately he cut his hand." "

And MrAynRand, we need a new Cleft Crusty chat about now.

After Cliff's latest mooning over his recently departed love, Javon Walker, I could really use an antidote. Especially since, at least about the WR, I agree its a loss not easily recovered from.

If T2 fills that gap, it'll be a nice feather in his cap.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Police: Owens tried to kill himself

Cowboys WR taken to emergency room after overdosing on pain medication

By Jamie Aron
The Associated Press

Originally published September 27, 2006, 10:16 AM EDT

DALLAS // Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, police said, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the report were first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied.

Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes.'"

Owens was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what his publicist said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting.

Owens is recovering from a broken right hand he hurt a week ago Sunday. He had an operation the next day to have a plate screwed in, enabling the bone to heal without being further injured. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

The Cowboys were off this past weekend and Owens was back at practice Tuesday, although he worked out on his own. Parcells said Owens' hand was improving and he was expected back on the practice field Wednesday. Owens chatted briefly with reporters in the locker room Tuesday afternoon and seemed fine.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill -- who mostly deals with troubled players -- said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference Wednesday, but did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM
The guy obviously has some major problems. I wish him the best in seeking help. Sad story indeed, whether you like him or hate him.

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
It's a confusing story. I'm going to reserve judgement about what happened for a while.

Rastak
09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
The guy obviously has some major problems. I wish him the best in seeking help. Sad story indeed, whether you like him or hate him.

I completely agree.

CaptainKickass
09-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't think we're really ever gonna know the truth about the situation, unless T.O. holds a press conference himself. The details are still a bit sketchy.

I'm gonna sit back and wait for more info.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Come on people, it was a marketing stunt designed and carefully orchestrated by Rosenwhore! He didn't down a bottle of pills. He chugged a pack of chiclets and then took two sleeping pills when his publicist showed up to give the impression that he tried to commit suicide.

Suicide? This coming from a guy that hid a sharpie in his sock during a game...

Sorry if I'm skeptical. There are many sides to every story and TO is pulling the "poor me" card to deflect attention away from his rash of injuries and inability to take the field on a consistent basis for the Cowboys.

tyler

ahaha
09-27-2006, 10:44 AM
His publicist is trying to spin this into a case where he just had a bad reaction to the pain medication and didn't know what he was saying when the paramedics asked if he was trying to hurt himself. ESPN is reporting he injested up to 35 of these pills. Sounds like a legetimate suicide attempt to me. In any case, it's hard to feel ANY sympathy for him. Everyone has problems, some more than others. He brought his on himself.

Rastak
09-27-2006, 10:46 AM
His publicist is trying to spin this into a case where he just had a bad reaction to the pain medication and didn't know what he was saying when the paramedics asked if he was trying to hurt himself. ESPN is reporting he injested up to 35 of these pills. Sounds like a legetimate suicide attempt to me. In any case, it's hard to feel ANY sympathy for him. Everyone has problems, some more than others. He brought his on himself.

I feel sorry for him. He's got some problems if he has millions of dollars and feels the need to end it all.

ahaha
09-27-2006, 10:55 AM

I feel sorry for him. He's got some problems if he has millions of dollars and feels the need to end it all.

You're a better man than me, Rastak.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Ok. Let's be real. Here's a millionaire who's been a media clown and attention whore for the last couple of years. He puts Meshawn to shame. He is the posterboy for the mercenary side of the NFL. He burns through teams like they're tropical rainforests.

If his suspected suicide attempt is legit, why does he deserve our sympathy? His whole world is all about him and what everyone else can do for him.

tyler

mission
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
im not a TO fan but i hope everything turns out for him ok... mental roadblocks are a difficult thing for a lot of people to overcome.

id be fucked up too if my aunt used to lock me in a closet for days....

mmmdk
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM

I completely agree.

Yup, keeping up a facade takes a toll on anybody. Sure T.O. has money but he's under quite a pressure from the world and himself. I wish T.O. the best, now, and in the future.

SkinBasket
09-27-2006, 11:04 AM

Yeah, that was the most interesting bit from this episode. Questions arise, like:

What exactly did he have tapped up that he had his hands down his pants to remove that tape?

Just how big IS T Glenn?

Did he have it taped to his leg or just to his balls?

How often does he manscape that he can use tape down there?

Is this all related to the suicide? I think it just might be...

Guiness
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think we're really ever gonna know the truth about the situation, unless T.O. holds a press conference himself. The details are still a bit sketchy.

I'm gonna sit back and wait for more info.

And what in the world would T.O. holding a press conference reveal? Certainly not the truth :roll:

mraynrand
09-27-2006, 11:14 AM

I print here for your perusal the answers T.O. will give to the 7 question he's asked at his next press conference:

T.O. : "Next Question"
T.O. : "Later"

ahaha
09-27-2006, 11:20 AM

I completely agree.

Yup, keeping up a facade takes a toll on anybody. Sure T.O. has money but he's under quite a pressure from the world and himself. I wish T.O. the best, now, and in the future.

The guy had so many options. He brought all this pressure on himself. What did he think was going to happen when he consistently critisized teamates and berated coaches on the sidelines? Did he really think the public would be on his side when he demanded more money after two years into his contract? If he couldn't handle being the "bad guy", he could just retire to a peaceful life, out of the public eye, with all his money. People would forget and leave him alone. This suicide attempt, IMO, just seems cowardly. BOO HOO for Terrell Owens.
Does he deserve help? Sure, he's obviously screwed up in the head. Sympathy? Not from me.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
This suicide attempt, IMO, just seems cowardly.

If not cowardly, then at very least a louder cry for attention....

tyler

MasonCrosby
09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
it's a zoo. who do i believe: ESPN which reports on how TO's tuna salad sandwich tasted, or the publicisit, who works for an apparently now depressed clown

ahaha
09-27-2006, 11:30 AM

tyler

Definately. If he truly, utterly, down the last fiber of his being, wanted to die, he would have picked a more effecient way of accomplishing it...blowing his brains out with a gun or jumping off of a high rise building.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM

tyler

Definately. If he truly, utterly, down the last fiber of his being, wanted to die, he would have picked a more effecient way of accomplishing it...blowing his brains out with a gun or jumping off of a high rise building.

Or there's always the Rotten.com fave of downing a bottle of Drano... :D

tyler

MasonCrosby
09-27-2006, 11:37 AM

tyler

Or there's always the Rotten.com fave of downing a bottle of Drano... :D

tyler

don't forget bathing with a plugged in toaster...

Partial
09-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Come on people, it was a marketing stunt designed and carefully orchestrated by Rosenwhore! He didn't down a bottle of pills. He chugged a pack of chiclets and then took two sleeping pills when his publicist showed up to give the impression that he tried to commit suicide.

Sorry if I'm skeptical. There are many sides to every story and TO is pulling the "poor me" card to deflect attention away from his rash of injuries and inability to take the field on a consistent basis for the Cowboys.

tyler

Hit the nail on the head. I don't buy this one bit.

Rastak
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM

tyler

Dallas Morning News has the police report and it says the dude attempted suicide and based on what I've read, it sure sounds like he did.

Hit the nail on the head. I don't buy this one bit.

Astonishment
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
TO is supposed to hold a press confrence around 2:30 eastern, and he has already been released from the Hospital. This is obviouslly strange if he did attempt suicide. The story is getting stranger by the moment.

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Most people on suicide watches pass a little bit of time in the psych ward on a suicide watch before they are allowed to be released. Either there is something fishy going on here or the NFL has become such a meat market that they will disregard the well-being of the human being in order to get the piece of meat back on the field. I hope it's the former.

Partial
09-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Ras,

I don't imagine it being too hard to "fake" a suicide and get a police report stating you attempted it. Who are they to tell you if you did or did not attempt to commit suicide if you say you did. Therefore, my guess is that is what he told them and they wrote it down assuming he was telling the truth.

I don't buy this at all. TO has pulled too much stuff before. If this is valid, I don't think he'd be making a news conference yet or be out of the hospital yet. For starters, any committed attempt is required by law (at least in Wisconsin) to be under 24 hours of hospital surveilance. I have a hard time believing texas law differs to such an extreme.

Unless he is doing this interview from his hospital bed, something isn't quite right here and I'd look at what I was reading with a cynical eye.

Partial
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Most people on suicide watches pass a little bit of time in the psych ward on a suicide watch before they are allowed to be released. Either there is something fishy going on here or the NFL has become such a meat market that they will disregard the well-being of the human being in order to get the piece of meat back on the field. I hope it's the former.

24 hours is required by law, at least in Wisconsin.

KYPack
09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
This guy has issues.

Do you really believe this is a publicity stunt?

What could anybody gain from publicity like this?

I don't like TO either, but this is a troubled soul. This man needs help. He's probably a danger to others at this point, hell, he's willing to offfhimself, what does he care about other people?

This goes beyond just football, this cat needs some big time medical assistance.

Partial
09-27-2006, 12:49 PM
This guy has issues.

I don't like TO either, but this is a troubled soul. This man needs help. He's probably a danger to others at this point, hell, he's willing to offfhimself, what does he care about other people?

This goes beyond just football, this cat needs some big time medical assistance.

What could dennis rodman gain from marrying himself?

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, if he went into the hospital Tuesday night, then he did pass his 24 hours, but there is still no way he shoud be out of the hospital yet and if he really did down these pills, then I don't see how he'd be ready to play this weekend. And another thing, does this count as substance abuse per the NFL drug policy???

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
This guy has issues.

What could dennis rodman gain from marrying himself?

Or Ricky Williams in a wedding dress with Mike Ditka?

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
This guy has issues.

Sorry for being so skeptical, but until we hear all of the facts of this situation, I don't believe its a suicide. The Dallas Press is going to jump on anything he does and blow it up for headlines. His publicist said that he had an allergic reaction to medication. The police say that he attempted suicide.

In February, the mother of one of my girlfriend's friends took a couple too many pain pills. She died. Some say it was a suicide, others say that she made a medical mistake, primarily because she forgot that she'd already taken her dosage of meds. Who knows her true intentions. She didn't leave a "goodbye" note. She just died from an overdose.

Until T.O. comes straight out and admits that he tried to commit suicide, I'm not buying it. If he's been released from the hospital and has already schedule a press conference, I am quite skeptical that it was a suicide attempt. He probably made a mistake and took too many pills. People outside of the situation are probably mistakenly calling it a suicide attempt, when T.O. simply made a mistake.

Do I think it was a publicity stunt? Part of me does. He's got everything to gain from softening his image. So does Rosenwhore. T.O. has been a cancer and a disruption to every team he's went to. Something like a suicide attempt throws dirt on all the past misdeeds because now he's a "suffering, human entertainer". It takes the focus away from the current state of affairs (an injured, relatively ineffective T.O.) and puts it on a new state of affairs (a weathered, depressed T.O.).

Sorry, as Ahaha said above, if he wanted to take his life--truly wanted to take his life and not call for attention--there are many other ways he could've done it with a better success rate.

tyler

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Owens to address media after reported suicide attempt

September 27, 2006

DALLAS (TICKER) -- Terrell Owens will address the media on Wednesday afternoon after it was reported by a Dallas television station that he had attempted suicide.

The temperamental wide receiver of the Dallas Cowboys was treated by paramedics and rushed to Baylor Medical Center on Tuesday night.

Citing a police report, WFAA-TV reported that Owens ingested prescription pain pills in an attempt to commit suicide.

Dallas police did not confirm or deny the report, but stated that the case is not being treated like a criminal offense

It is not a crime in Texas for a person to attempt suicide.

When asked if Owens had ingested 30-plus prescription pills, Dallas police Lt. Rick Watson said, "I am not going to confirm anything."

Kim Etheridge, Owens' publicist, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Dallas Morning News that Owens was hospitalized for suffering an adverse reaction to medication that he is currently taking for a broken right ring finger.

Owens, 32, was given the prescription pills after undergoing surgery for the broken finger on September 18.

Owens was released from the hospital Wednesday morning and gave a thumbs up sign to reporters before being whisked away in a sports utility vehicle.

The Cowboys have yet to issued a statement.

According to the police report, Dallas Fire Department paramedics were called for a medical emergency to treat Owens at shortly before 8 p.m. local time on Tuesday. Rescue personnel who were called to the scene observed that Owens' prescription bottle was empty.

The report further stated that Owens was asked if he had attempted to harm himself and responded, "Yes."

Owens was then transported to the emergency room at Baylor Medical Center.

This latest chapter is the most bizarre and disturbing in the Owens saga.

Owens played just seven games with the Philadelphia Eagles last season before the club banished him for conduct detrimental to the team. In his second year with the team, Owens had publicly criticized numerous members of the organization, including quarterback Donovan McNabb, was fined numerous times for tardiness and reportedly was involved in a fight with former Eagle Hugh Douglas in the locker room.

Signed to a three-year, $25 million contract in the offseason, Owens missed most of Dallas' preseason practices and all but one exhibition game due to a hamstring injury.

Owens returned for the Cowboys' regular-season opener vs. Jacksonville, catching six passes for 80 yards. He suffered the broken finger early in the game against Washington on September 17 and played through the pain before leaving late in the fourth quarter.

Last week, Owens said he planned to be in uniform when the Cowboys face the Eagles on October 8. He also was considering suiting up this weekend, when Dallas visits Tennessee.

Owens had 47 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns in just seven games last season before the Eagles deactivated him.

In 144 career games with San Francisco, Philadelphia and Dallas, Owens has 725 catches for 10,634 yards and 102 touchdowns. He has nine receptions for 99 yards and a score in two contests this year.

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 27, 2006 1:42 pm EDT

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 01:29 PM
This guy has issues.

Yes!

It's far worse than I thought.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Terrell Owens' timeline since joining the Cowboys

September 27, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- The timeline of Terrell Owens since signing with the Dallas Cowboys:

March 18 -- Four days after being cut by the Eagles, Owens signs a three-year, $25 million deal with the Dallas Cowboys that includes a $5 million bonus and a $5 million salary in 2006. "I'm a star among stars now," Owens says at a news conference.

May 5 -- Forty-eight days after Owens signed, Bill Parcells speaks about him for the first time. "I don't view it as a gamble. It's in my best interest that he's successful." When he speaks again two days later, Parcells puts the subject of Owens off limits until training camp.

June 2 -- Owens goes through his first day of minicamp, catching every pass thrown his way but one in a nearly two-hour practice. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity that I can make to help this team win," he says. "That's why they brought me in here."

June 8 -- Owens arrives after 5 p.m. for a scheduled 3 p.m. visit with the roughly 60 campers attending the Terrell Owens Youth Football Camp. "I'm sorry I'm late. I've been playing for the Dallas Cowboys," he tells the kids.

July 5 -- "T.O.", the second setting-the-record-straight autobiography Owens has written in 22 months, is released five days ahead of schedule. The biggest revelation: His relationship with Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb soured for good when Owens was told "Shut the (expletive) up" in a huddle. McNabb later calls the autobiography a "children's book."

July 13 -- At his first book signing, Owens claims he didn't say his return in time for the February 2005 Super Bowl was "heroic," even though that's what he wrote. He called it one of the words chosen by his co-author.

July 27 -- Owens goes to Point Mogu naval base to greet teammates when they fly in to Oxnard, Calif., for the start of training camp. Owens has driven up from Los Angeles.

July 29 -- A record crowd of 5,500 attends Owens' first training camp practice. After being the last player out of the locker room, he makes the best play of the session, beating Aaron Glenn for a long touchdown, drawing loud cries of "T-O!" from fans.

Aug. 3 -- Owens misses practice because of a hamstring problem. "I wouldn't say I'm injured, just a little sore," he says. Says team owner Jerry Jones: "For a guy who is renowned for playing hurt, renowned for working hard and wanting to be out here, we don't have any concerns."

Aug. 5 -- An MRI shows no major problems with Owens' hamstring.

Aug. 7 -- Owens says he's flying in doctors and trainers to examine his hamstring.

Aug. 8 -- Parcells seems flustered by all the T.O. talk: "I'm getting the sense that most of the media is just waiting for something to be controversial in that regard. And I'm here to tell you, it's not going to happen from me. So you need to get that in your head. OK?"

Aug. 10 -- Owens wears the silver and blue uniform of Lance Armstrong's Discovery Channel pro cycling team while riding a stationary bicycle. He calls it "my little kickoff for the Tour de T.O. Comeback."

Aug. 16 -- Owens returns to practice after missing 14 straight workouts.

Aug. 18 -- Parcells tells Owens he hasn't practiced enough to play in the second preseason game.

Aug. 19 -- After working out in the morning, Owens misses the afternoon session because of a setback with his hamstring. He later blames coaches for using him too much.

Aug. 25 -- Owens is fined $9,500 for missing a team meeting and a rehabilitation session, and being late to an offensive meeting. He later says he overslept. "It's not a big deal," he says.

Aug. 28 -- An Internet gambling site posts a 50-50 bet on whether Owens is still employed by the Cowboys at the end of this season.

Aug. 29 -- Owens returns to practice.

Sept. 1 -- Owens plays 19 snaps over two series in the preseason finale, catching a 6-yard pass from Tony Romo on the first ball thrown his way and missing a wide pass from Romo in the end zone.

Sept. 10 -- Owens catches six passes for 80 yards and a touchdown in the opener, a 24-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Sept. 17 -- Owens breaks his right ring finger while blocking on one of the first plays of a 27-10 victory over the Washington Redskins, but doesn't leave for X-rays until the middle of the fourth quarter. His play reflects the injury: three catches for 19 yards, all in the first 11 minutes; several drops, including one in the end zone, and two penalties totaling 20 yards.

Sept. 18 -- Owens has a plate screwed into the bone attached to his right ring finger. Recovery time estimated at two to four weeks.

Sept 26 -- Owens tries to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication. A Dallas police report says Owens told a friend "that he was depressed."

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 27, 2006 10:14 am EDT

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Nobody truly knows if it was a suicide attempt....from SI.com. Doesn't sound like a guy who is depressed or suicidal...

Report: T.O. attempted suicide
Police report says wideout tried to overdose himself

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened, according to a police report obtained Wednesday.

Owens left the hospital late Wednesday morning, giving reporters a "thumbs up" but making no comment as he was driven away in an SUV.

Publicist Kim Etheredge said in various interviews Wednesday with Dallas-area media that the police have gotten the story wrong. She said she was with Owens, who was having trouble because he'd mixed his pain pills with supplements. She said she called for help because he was becoming unresponsive.

Etheredge did not immediately respond to repeated calls and e-mails from The Associated Press.

The Dallas police report said Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, 'Yes."'

The report said the 32-year-old Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the police report were first reported by WFAA-TV.

Police Lt. Rick Watson said during a brief news conference that he could only confirm that paramedics called police to say they were taking Owens to the hospital. He said no more details would come from the police because no laws were broken.

"This is a high-profile person. We looked into it, and we determined it is not a criminal offense," Watson said. "This a medical type of situation that occurred."

NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders said he spoke with Owens shortly before his release from the hospital and that Owens was in good spirits.

"The fact that it has been reported a suicide attempt, he's laughed at that notion. It was a case that medication that was taken wasn't accepted well in his system with the other vitamins he's on," Sanders said.

Watson and fire department spokesman Joel Lavender cited privacy laws for the lack of information they could provide. Lavender said more details could come from the 911 call. The AP filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act to get the contents of the call.

"Let's just look at the tape, review the tape," Lavender said. "I'll give you an honest answer once I know something."

At the police news conference, Watson released a version of the police narrative with certain sections blacked out. The full report was obtained by several news outlets and reported first by WFAA. The AP received the full version from WFAA.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said. The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers.

The report also said the friend told rescue workers that a prescription for 40 pills was filled on Sept. 18, and that Owens "had only taken five pills up to this date."

According to the police report, Dallas Fire and Rescue was called Tuesday evening regarding someone "attempting suicide by prescription pain medication." Officers arrived to find Owens being stabilized by ambulance workers, who then took him to Baylor University Medical Center, where the police report said he was treated "for a drug overdose."

Owens was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what his publicist said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill -- who mostly deals with troubled players -- said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

He missed most of training camp, and three of four preseason games, because of a hamstring injury. He was late for work during his recovery and was fined for it, but Owens laughed it off, saying he overslept. He said it had happened before, though not with Dallas, and would probably happen again.

Owens broke the bone leading to his right ring finger during a game a week ago Sunday. The next day, doctors screwed in a plate so the bone could heal without fear of further damage. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

Owens had not practiced since the injury, but because Dallas had a bye this past weekend he did not miss a game. He was expected to practice Wednesday, and Parcells had said there was a chance Owens could play Sunday against Tennessee.

Owens had been especially looking forward to the Cowboys' game after that -- Oct. 8, in Philadelphia, against the team that dumped him midway through last season only months after he helped them nearly win the Super Bowl.

Owens was seen laughing and joking on the practice field Tuesday morning. He chatted briefly with reporters in the locker room in the afternoon and seemed fine. A 2-inch scar on the top of his hand was puffy but not wrapped, and he said the swelling was going down.

While in the locker room, he took a pill from a white paper bag and looked at another medicine bottle that was in the bag. He also called a business partner about a towel-wrap venture they're starting and joked to TV cameras that he wasn't talking until Wednesday and today was only Tuesday.

"My little boy knows better than that," he said, laughing, as he plopped onto a sofa in the middle of the locker room.

Also Tuesday, Owens was involved in launching a national campaign for the National Alliance to End Abuse, an organization aimed at helping at-risk youngsters. He appeared at a high school Tuesday morning and was scheduled to visit others but had to cancel because of changes in the team's practice schedule.

A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released. Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens has played two games for the Cowboys, catching nine passes for 99 yards and a touchdown.

Owens, already a top receiver with the San Francisco 49ers, burst to prominence in 2000 for his celebration of two touchdowns on the star logo at midfield of Texas Stadium in a game against the Cowboys. A Dallas player blind-sided him after the second one.

The legend of T.O. grew when he celebrated another touchdown by pulling a Sharpie from his sock and autographing the ball in a 49ers game at Seattle. He's also borrowed a cheerleader's pompoms, done sit-ups on his driveway before TV cameras and mocked Ravens tough guy Ray Lewis' celebration in a game against Baltimore.

Before a Monday night game against Dallas last season, Owens took part in a risque promotional stunt with one of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" that later prompted an apology from the network.

Owens was heavily praised while with the Eagles for playing well in the February 2005 Super Bowl, seven weeks after ankle surgery. However, his relationship with quarterback Donovan McNabb deteriorated soon after and the organization suspended him in midseason and later got rid of him amid contract complaints and other personality squabbles. Team owner Jeffrey Lurie said later that, even with the Super Bowl trip, he regretted having ever signed Owens.

KYPack
09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
This guy has issues.

Sorry for being so skeptical, but until we hear all of the facts of this situation, I don't believe its a suicide. The Dallas Press is going to jump on anything he does and blow it up for headlines. His publicist said that he had an allergic reaction to medication. The police say that he attempted suicide.

In February, the mother of one of my girlfriend's friends took a couple too many pain pills. She died. Some say it was a suicide, others say that she made a medical mistake, primarily because she forgot that she'd already taken her dosage of meds. Who knows her true intentions. She didn't leave a "goodbye" note. She just died from an overdose.

Until T.O. comes straight out and admits that he tried to commit suicide, I'm not buying it. If he's been released from the hospital and has already schedule a press conference, I am quite skeptical that it was a suicide attempt. He probably made a mistake and took too many pills. People outside of the situation are probably mistakenly calling it a suicide attempt, when T.O. simply made a mistake.

Do I think it was a publicity stunt? Part of me does. He's got everything to gain from softening his image. So does Rosenwhore. T.O. has been a cancer and a disruption to every team he's went to. Something like a suicide attempt throws dirt on all the past misdeeds because now he's a "suffering, human entertainer". It takes the focus away from the current state of affairs (an injured, relatively ineffective T.O.) and puts it on a new state of affairs (a weathered, depressed T.O.).

Sorry, as Ahaha said above, if he wanted to take his life--truly wanted to take his life and not call for attention--there are many other ways he could've done it with a better success rate.

tyler

OK Tyler.

Guess I was thinking to logically. I couldn't for the life of me think of one reason to kill yourself. I know a lot of medical people. Guys that take a few pills and then try to say they were killing themselves are just making some kind of sympathy ploy.

The bit about "softening his image" could be valid.

TO will deny the shit out of any assertion that he tried to kill himself.

This sumbitch does need help, but he also needs out of my view. I'm so sick of his whole act.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

Go to that link above and you'll see a pic of T.O. and ask yourself what do you observe inside of him?

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 02:38 PM
OK here we go:

What do we have.

1.A report fr. a Friend that he tried to pry 2 pain killer's out of T.O.'s gobs. Is that Friend insane? Check out T.O.'s teeth. Jaws. :mrgreen:

2. T.O. admits to taking 5 more of these pain killers earlier in that day.

3. The police arrive and T.O. admits a suicide attempt responds in the affirmative when asked if he planned to do himself.

Analysis:

:idea: It's just more extreme T.O. headcase hype and no way this is a suicide attempt with a max dosage of 5 pills injested.

Yawn Yawn !!

Get on the DAM Field T.O. and stop jerking us around. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm far more interested in this other little headline on the page...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2605084

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Case pretty much closed...

Owens refutes report, says he didn't attempt suicide

DALLAS -- Terrell Owens denied a police report he attempted suicide, saying he became groggy after mixing painkillers with supplements.

He said Wednesday the confusion likely stemmed from an empty bottle of pain medication found by his publicist, who was with him at the time and called 911. He said the rest of the pills were in a drawer.

"I was non-responsive when she made that call,'' Owens said. "She made the call out of her judgment for my well-being.''

Appearing in a news conference at team headquarters a few hours after leaving a hospital for what an internal police report described as "a drug overdose,'' Owens wore workout gear and no bandage on his broken right hand. The star receiver smiled and seemed more amused than peeved at the latest ruckus surrounding him.

Owens said he feels very capable of playing Sunday in Tennessee, despite this incident and his broken hand. He added that he's "not depressed about anything."

Owens blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

"It's very unfortunate for it to go from an allergic reaction to a suicide attempt,'' he said.

Owens was released from the hospital before noon. He flashed a thumbs-up to reporters as he left, went home, then made it to team headquarters in time to catch passes from quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Rescue workers arrived at Owens' home around 8 p.m. Tuesday and took him to an emergency room. When word spread, publicist Kim Etheredge said it was an allergic reaction.

But the story shifted Wednesday morning when several media outlets received a police report -- that had yet to be released by the authorities -- saying Owens had attempted suicide by overdosing on the painkillers, even putting two more pills into his mouth after an unidentified friend, later identified as Etheredge, intervened.

The police document, first reported by WFAA-TV, said Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated: 'Yes.'''

When officially released by police, about half the document was blacked out, including the phrases "attempting suicide by prescription pain medication'' and "a drug overdose,'' as well as the details of Owens having two pills pried from his mouth and Owens saying "Yes'' when asked if he intended to harm himself.

"I wasn't coherent as they probably thought I was,'' Owens said. "A number of people were asking me questions. I don't remember the police officers that were in there or the doctors that were in there.''

Owens said he feels capable of playing Sunday in Tennessee, despite this incident and his broken hand. He added that he's "not depressed about anything'' and that he expects to practice Thursday.

Etheredge also appeared at Owens' news conference, saying she "did not take anything out of his mouth.''

"This is sad,'' she said. "Terrell had a reaction to different pills, and just to state he was trying to commit suicide it was unfair.''

"Terrell has 25 million reasons why he should be alive,'' she added, referring to the $25 million, three-year contract he signed in March with the Cowboys.

"I'm just upset,'' Etheredge added. "I feel they take advantage of Terrell. Had this been someone else, this may not have happened.''

Dallas police officials declined to comment on Etheredge's denials. "We can't discuss the police report because of privacy laws,'' said a spokesman, Sgt. Gil Cerda.

Dallas coach Bill Parcells said he didn't know any details, other than it was "apparently an unfortunate set of circumstances." He said it was too early to tell whether Owens might be able to practice this week or even play Sunday against Tennessee.

"I don't have enough information yet," he said. "I wouldn't [decide] anything right now. I'm talking with a good deal of ignorance on the subject."

Parcells said he had not spoken with Owens, but had discussed the case for a few minutes with team owner Jerry Jones.

"I think he felt the same way," Parcells said. "We just need to figure out what's going on."

After getting almost strictly Owens-related questions, Parcells cut off his usual 25-30 minute session after only nine minutes. He ended it by getting up from his chair and saying, "When I find out what the hell is going on, you will know. Until then, I'm not getting interrogated for no reason."

Zool
09-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Well he successfully had everyone talking TO for half a day again. His name wasnt on the front page of every sports section and sports website for at least a month.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Well he successfully had everyone talking TO for half a day again. His name wasnt on the front page of every sports section and sports website for at least a month.

Gotta wonder if some of his stuff is orchestrated. Yes, I'm a skeptic, but it definitely brought him back into the NFL focus, which is a win for him and a win for everyone who he's associated with.

What a mess though. Sounds like the Dallas PD "jumped the gun" on the details of the situation in the press release to local news outlets. Very strange.

tyler

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 03:47 PM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9689888.jpg

Owens: 'No suicide attempt'

Dallas WR refutes reports, works out with team

Posted: Wednesday September 27, 2006 9:19AM; Updated: Wednesday September 27, 2006 4:20PM

Terrell Owens blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens denied a police report he attempted suicide, saying he became groggy after mixing painkillers with supplements.

He said Wednesday the confusion likely stemmed from an empty bottle of pain medication found by his publicist, who was with him at the time and called 911. He said the rest of the pills were in a drawer.

"I was non-responsive when she made that call," Owens said. "She made the call out of her judgment for my well-being."

Appearing in a news conference at team headquarters a few hours after leaving a hospital for what a police report described as "a drug overdose," Owens wore workout gear and no bandage on his broken right hand. The star receiver smiled and seemed more amused than peeved at the latest ruckus surrounding him.

Owens blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

"It's very unfortunate for it to go from an allergic reaction to a suicide attempt," he said.

Owens was released from the hospital before noon. He flashed a thumbs-up to reporters as he left, went home, then made it to team headquarters in time to catch passes from quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Rescue workers arrived at Owens' home around 8 p.m. Tuesday and took him to an emergency room. When word spread, publicist Kim Etheredge said it was an allergic reaction.

But the story shifted Wednesday morning when several media outlets received a police report -- that had yet to be released by the authorities -- saying Owens had attempted suicide by overdosing on the painkillers, even putting two more pills into his mouth after an unidentified friend, later identified as Etheredge, intervened.

The police document, first reported by WFAA-TV, said Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated: 'Yes."'

When officially released by police, about half the document was blacked out, including the phrases "attempting suicide by prescription pain medication" and "a drug overdose," as well as the details of Owens having two pills pried from his mouth and Owens saying "Yes" when asked if he intended to harm himself.

"I wasn't coherent as they probably thought I was," Owens said. "A number of people were asking me questions. I don't remember the police officers that were in there or the doctors that were in there."

Owens said he feels capable of playing Sunday in Tennessee, despite this incident and his broken hand. He added that he's "not depressed about anything" and that he expects to practice Thursday.

Etheredge also appeared at Owens' news conference, saying she "did not take anything out of his mouth."

"This is sad," she said. "Terrell had a reaction to different pills, and just to state he was trying to commit suicide it was unfair."

"Terrell has 25 million reasons why he should be alive," she added, referring to the $25 million, three-year contract he signed in March with the Cowboys.

"I'm just upset," Etheredge added. "I feel they take advantage of Terrell. Had this been someone else, this may not have happened."

Dallas police officials declined to comment on Etheredge's denials. "We can't discuss the police report because of privacy laws," said a spokesman, Sgt. Gil Cerda.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

woodbuck27:

Well there YOU have it...FALSE ALARM.

Partial
09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
My thoughts are that there is no way any way to effectively Dispute TOs claim so the police won't even bother trying. My guess is TO knew this and said all that shit in the hospital just for publicity, knowing full-well what he was doing. Media stunt, thats all this was. I don't buy one word of this.

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
We knew this was coming, right?

NFL's mental problem
Teams can't deal with players' psychological issues
Posted: Wednesday September 27, 2006 3:05PM; Updated: Wednesday September 27, 2006 5:16PM

The NFL never has had much luck in dealing with players with psychological or, to make it stronger, with psychiatric problems. Then again, the NFL is not in the medical health business. It's in the image business, and when, say, a Barret Robbins or a Dimitrius Underwood or an Alonzo Spellman ... or in this case, a Terrell Owens ... comes along, the league is fairly helpless.

We're still gathering facts about T.O.'s latest. A genuine suicide attempt, a call for help, a complete misunderstanding? Owens denies trying to kill himself, but who knows what really happened? One thing is clear and has been for quite a while: There are major psychiatric issues with this man, and no one quite knows how to deal with them.

I wrote this last year, when T.O. was stirring things up with the Eagles, concerning his contract. A team official told me the whole matter could have been worked out quietly if T.O. hadn't raised such a fuss about it. "If he would have come in quietly, without all this commotion, we could have come to an agreement. We were prepared to. We didn't feel his demand was unreasonable, given the way he came back from his injury last year and the great Super Bowl he had. But when a guy puts a gun to your head, you're only creating more problems if you cave in."

But that wasn't, and isn't, T.O.'s way. Status quo drives him wild. It's as if he can't stand peace and stability. He has to be doing something to create a stir, make waves, get people fired up -- arranging stunts to capture the attention of the press one moment, shutting them down and telling them, "I'm not talking," the next. He is driven. His mood swings are extreme.

Call it a form of bipolar disorder, borderline schizophrenia, whatever. I'm not a psychiatrist, so I can't put a name to it. But I've had a longtime relationship with psychiatric problems because of a close relative who has had them, and I've seen quite a few people like T.O.

It's tough to feel sorry for him, though, because he has a mean streak to go with everything else. He didn't attack Donovan McNabb or offensive coach Brad Childress until they were at their lowest ebb, at their most vulnerable. Same thing with his quarterback in San Francisco, Jeff Garcia. But that doesn't mean he's not suffering from something that never really gets addressed.

Spellman and Underwood were both first-round draft choices and defensive linemen. Both were diagnosed with major psychiatric disorders. Underwood didn't stay on his prescribed medication for any decent period. He never played in a regular-season game. Spellman, who was more careful about taking his meds, had a decent career but never lasted in football past his 20s.

Robbins, a Raiders center, was scheduled to start in Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Buccaneers, but on Friday night before the game he flipped out and never set foot on a field again. He was diagnosed as bipolar, compounded with alcohol problems. He admitted that he had major troubles when he went off his meds. He has been in and out of trouble with the law ever since.

Mike Tyson long has been suspected of having serious psychiatric problems. The mood swings, the ferocious behavior at times, contrasted with periods of almost serene reflection. He admitted that he took medication for depression, "and other stuff," but that's as far as he'd go.

The problem with high-profile athletes, such as Tyson and the NFL linemen cited above, is that their meds, while controlling for the most part their psychiatric problems, take a little off their physical prowess. For an athlete who has trained all his life to achieve a certain peak, it's devastating to subject himself to something that will deprive him of that slightest little edge.

This is especially true in performers of explosive types of sports, such as football or boxing. It also applies to artists and musicians, creative people who feel that the meds have a slightly dulling effect. I once asked a psychiatrist, "Which would everyone have preferred, a highly medicated, fully stabilized Vincent Van Gogh, or the Van Gogh of Starry Night?" He admitted to me that the psychiatric community has problems dealing with exceptional people.

Football players at the highest level develop a sense of invincibility, or at least of superiority to ordinary citizens. I remember talking to Lawrence Taylor after he bolted from a drug-rehab program, which could be compared, in a sense, to psychiatric rehab.

"Definitely not for me," he said. "You'd go into one of those group sessions, and all these losers would be sitting around, and then they'd call on, say, Mrs. Smith and ask her, 'Tell us about your day.' What the hell did I care about her day?"

I'm convinced that T.O. is really in need of treatment right now. Of course, then he might not be the No. 81 you see flashing across your screen on Sundays. But at least we wouldn't have to worry about whether he swallowed handfuls of painkillers.

mmmdk
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I guess T.O. reloaded his Pez dispencer with Vicodin. It could happen to anybody... :lol:

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9689888.jpg

Haaaaa haaaawwww..Fooold Yaaa ! ! !

mraynrand
09-27-2006, 07:02 PM
T.O. probably has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder - or at least Narcissistic Personality traits
-------------
Here are the Diagnostic Criteria:

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

requires excessive admiration

has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Diagnosis
Histrionic Personality Disorder; Antisocial Personality Disorder; Borderline Personality Disorder; Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder; Schizotypal Personality Disorder; Paranoid Personality Disorder; Manic Episodes; Hypomanic Episodes; Personality Change Due to a General Medical Condition; symptoms that may develop in association with chronic substance use.
-----------------

Take it for what you want. I may be wrong about this, but I don't recall NPD being associated with suicide all that often. "Narcissists VERY rarely commit suicide. They have suicidal ideation and reactive psychoses under severe stress – but to commit suicide runs against the grain of narcissism."

T.O. probably just mucked up taking his meds. It happens.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Nope....Is he like Hitler,Stalin or Mussolini?? Certainly Nope.

See.....He's not Big on Crowd control

He's not dangerous like a person with Anti-Social Personality Disorder. No psychotic disorder.

I think T.O.'s just..... well T.O.

and I wish he'd get healthy....

so we can see and enjoy some amazing TD catch and runs.

Fosco33
09-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Doctors treating the Dallas Cowboys receiver were trying to induce vomiting when he arrived at Baylor Medical Center, according to a television report.

I helped redesign that ER in '04. I can probably find out the truth - although that'd be illegal...

Either way, I hope TO is ok - it's sometimes the people that seem to 'have everything' that really feel like they don't 'have it all'.

FavreChild
09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Someone that acts the way T.O. does is not a happy person....often the self-centeredness and cockiness hides feelings of anger, inferiority and frustration.

Also, it is fairly typical for a person to attempt suicide (largely as a cry for help and/or attention) and then deny it, especially immediately after the attempt. This is the typical psychology. You are depressed enough; you don't want to admit further weakness or that you need help.

It seems to me that if T.O. really just had a "bad reaction," his reaction to the media frenzy would be a lot different...don't you think? But don't take my word for it - I'm sure there will be psychologists commenting on the whole issue.

But if you've been through what T.O. has been through (mostly by his own accord, for sure), you cannot possibly think that he has been living a healthy life.

Guiness
09-27-2006, 11:13 PM
T.O. probably has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder - or at least Narcissistic Personality traits
-------------

Rand - have you actually met my ex-wife? :crazy:

woodbuck27
09-28-2006, 12:12 AM
-------------

Rand - have you actually met my ex-wife? :crazy:

Pressure Relief valve...open. :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
-------------

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

requires excessive admiration

has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Diagnosis
Histrionic Personality Disorder; Antisocial Personality Disorder; Borderline Personality Disorder; Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder; Schizotypal Personality Disorder; Paranoid Personality Disorder; Manic Episodes; Hypomanic Episodes; Personality Change Due to a General Medical Condition; symptoms that may develop in association with chronic substance use.
-----------------

Take it for what you want. I may be wrong about this, but I don't recall NPD being associated with suicide all that often. "Narcissists VERY rarely commit suicide. They have suicidal ideation and reactive psychoses under severe stress – but to commit suicide runs against the grain of narcissism."

T.O. probably just mucked up taking his meds. It happens.

So, take this diagnosis for the sake of ....well, speculation. Imagine a guy like TO after his NFL career is over and all the easy access media hoopla is gone. He will be a time bomb just waiting to go off. ...way more than he is now.

It's really sad. Goes to show you fame and fortune doesn't always buy happiness.

Terry
09-28-2006, 05:32 AM
So, take this diagnosis for the sake of ....well, speculation. Imagine a guy like TO after his NFL career is over and all the easy access media hoopla is gone. He will be a time bomb just waiting to go off. ...way more than he is now.

Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that most of us are time bombs waiting to go off. If we're lucky, we just haven't been packed with much TNT.

It's really sad. Goes to show you fame and fortune doesn't always buy happiness.
I go so far as to say 'never'. People who are inclined to be happy tend to be happy regardless. And vice-versa.

Now, there's no denying that an infusion of cash here or there can provide some relief for some practical problems. lol

CaliforniaCheez
09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
So what if the day before his girlfriend/mother of his child broke up with him and would not let him see his son on his son's birthday?

So what if he was depressed and somone was fishing pills out of his mouth?

Where are the 35 pills now?

All I can say is

Better luck next time T.O.