PDA

View Full Version : Job Burnout?

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Ever experience job/career burnout? What were the symptoms and how did you deal with it?

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Last time I had it, didn't truly care if stuff got done (except where it affects income level and personal reputation), wistful ponderings of doing jobs you see other people doing (not necessarily those enviable ones we all want), a generalized feeling of tiredness even though you're sleeping enough and dreading going into work just about every day.

The solution: figure out what it is you really would rather be doing (there are a couple of books that will help. Two I can think of are Wishcraft by Barbara Scherr and What Color is you Parachute but there's a whole section on it in the bookstore) figure out what it would take to be doing what you want and then break it down into manageable steps and take action on the first one. It's a really hard thing to do, but once you figure out what you want and take that first step toward getting it, it becomes easier.

If that makes any sense

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Ever experience job/career burnout? What were the symptoms and how did you deal with it?

Its hard to do the same job forever, even if you are progressing in your chosen field. You know you are experiencing it if you dread going into work, find no pleasure in it, and realize that the weekends are WAY to short.

Back to school for an MBA, switched fields.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Tyrone, where is that sig from?

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 09:17 PM

That is from the Chappelle Show where Tyrone gave the recipe for crack cocaine from jail. :lol:

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
He fell apart before I ever got to watch him. I heard he was coming back?

K-town
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM

I had been working at the same company for 22 years. I had 22 days of vacation, 2 floating holidays, a pretty decent guy for a boss who was always in my corner, flexible hours, decent money and defacto control over my little corner of the corporate world.
And I was MISERABLE. Hated going to work. I'd think of reasons to call in a last minute sick day or vacation day. Would get furiously angry over the least little thing (at work or at home - good thing I lived alone at the time).
Never enough vacation days; weekends were never long enough.
You get the picture.
So, I finally got motivated and started looking for a different job. I got really lucky, and was able to find work not far from where I live. I still don't love Mondays, but the work is better (more rewarding and challenging), the money is better and I'm liking life a lot more.
Maybe one of the smartest moves I ever made.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:26 PM
He fell apart before I ever got to watch him. I heard he was coming back?

He didn't fall apart, read the interview, I think in Esquire. He chose to keep his career under his own control.

I highly recommend renting/purchasing the dvds, or catch his movie.

There may be no funnier sketch than the "black" Real World. Or Charlie Murphy's stories.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:29 PM
but didn't I hear he was coming back to Comedy Central?

And 007, do you know what you'd rather be doing? I knew it was time to go when the guy at Home Depot was cleaning the floor with that little zamboni-looking thing and I was wondering how much they paid him to do that.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM

And 007, do you know what you'd rather be doing? I knew it was time to go when the guy at Home Depot was cleaning the floor with that little zamboni-looking thing and I was wondering how much they paid him to do that.

Comedy Central: At first he said he was coming back, but I don't think so. CC has some sketches that he filmed before he took his sabbatical and I know they are gonna run them.

Home Depot: LOL. I think for me, it was pondering working at Barnes & Nobles. No management, just come in and turn my brain off.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
That's a good job!! Last time I was there I wanted to order the Favre book and the person helping me had NO idea who he was. Only person in America who doesn't know that name had to be the one helping me.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:48 PM
That's a good job!! Last time I was there I wanted to order the Favre book and the person helping me had NO idea who he was. Only person in America who doesn't know that name had to be the one helping me.

For what they get paid, i don't expect much outta them. I like B&N more, but Borders has those computers you can use yourself.

Probably most challenging part would be to constantly ask, "Do you have the Borders card?"

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 09:48 PM

lol does Home Depot have good benefits? :wink:
Actually Zig, I've just been doing a little wondering. My best friend co-worker is leaving because he feels burnout....needs a change.....and the conversation just got me thinking. It is a relatively high burnout field. Just kinda wondered what anyone that experienced this was going through. I don't hate going to work. I think everyone had their "days". My job is about 65% office/35% field and I don't think I could ever stand being in an office 100% of the time.....would drive me crazy.

mraynrand
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I think the first sign I had of job burnout was that I started posting on various websites. Then I started getting interested in politics. Then I found myself writing essays and short stories that had nothing to do with my job. Then I got fired (no, not really - not yet!). The fact of the matter is that the biggest factors in job burnout for me were co-workers/work environment and age . I hit a physical wall at 35 where concentration was much more tough and got into a job site where the group interaction was pretty dismal. Good people, but I advanced to a level where the people I used to hang with were now intimidated, and my new 'colleagues' were 10 years older and didn't have a perspective I could really relate to. Probably more info than you cared for.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
It's good info, though. It's an interesting problem of advancement at a young age.

GBRulz
04-19-2006, 11:36 PM
007, I know what you mean about sitting at a desk all day. I don't think I could do it. My day is split about 50/50 from being in the office to out with clients. and since I can work remotely, I actually am in the office itself much less than that.

I am not married, so of course all the bills, etc are mine, as I'm sure you can relate. I have to stay in my field of work as I need this kind of salary, but it is what I want to do forever? no way and sometimes it does kind of stress me out.

That's partly why I've been working on getting my side business going more. i've been doing photography, photo restoration and video editing for people as a hobby for a couple years now and really like it. If you get a chance, take a look at my site...which is still a work in progress by the way.

www.digitally-restored.com

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I have job burnout as well; I could go into work right now and I'd need to work til 8 when I go in to get caught up. A peer quit and was not replaced so that has greatly added to my work load. I need to take a day off, but when I'd come back I'd be twice as buried. It'll get better, sooner or later.

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I am not married, so of course all the bills, etc are mine, as I'm sure you can relate. I have to stay in my field of work as I need this kind of salary, but it is what I want to do forever? no way and sometimes it does kind of stress me out.

If you get a chance, take a look at my site...which is still a work in progress by the way.

Completely relate to you there. The salary and benefits are too much to walk away from at this particular time.

I did check out your site. Did I see that right that each individual pic costs .50 to add to the video? We had a dvd made last summer and I would have to check with my sister, but I think we paid wayyyyy more than that per pic. What about those very old projector films ....do you work with those?

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I have job burnout as well; I could go into work right now and I'd need to work til 8 when I go in to get caught up. A peer quit and was not replaced so that has greatly added to my work load. I need to take a day off, but when I'd come back I'd be twice as buried. It'll get better, sooner or later.

B, this is just the way things are for me.....I get a lot of vacation time but it's very hard to take. Not that you can't put in for and get it, but what you go through when you return is most times not worth it. I usually use my vacation time a day or two at a time to relieve that. During the summer I usually take a week or two and just do the best I can catching up. Sometimes you just have to say F it. lol

GBRulz
04-20-2006, 12:59 PM

If you get a chance, take a look at my site...which is still a work in progress by the way.

Completely relate to you there. The salary and benefits are too much to walk away from at this particular time.

I did check out your site. Did I see that right that each individual pic costs .50 to add to the video? We had a dvd made last summer and I would have to check with my sister, but I think we paid wayyyyy more than that per pic. What about those very old projector films ....do you work with those?

Yeah, I've seen where people charge as much as $2.00 for a simple scan. ripoff!!

Yeah, I converted all of my parents old projector films to DVD. I can do 8mm, 16mm and Super 8 transfers. At least for as long as the projector holds out, lol. I had to buy a replacement bulb last year for it, man that stuff is pricey AND hard to find. It's not like you can go to best buy and buy a bulb for a projector that was made in the 70's !!

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Hubby is right in the middle of trying to sell one of those old things on e-bay. I should check and see if it sold or not.

FavreChild
04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
If I wasn't already leaving my job, I'd be leaving my job - ya know?

I totally agree w/ K-town. When you have nice perks, a pretty good boss, a comfortable (maybe TOO light) work load - and you STILL hate your job...it's time to leave.

When you don't care about your own personal advancement anymore and you stop taking initiative to spearhead new projects...it's time to leave.

And of course, if you get to work to find a big banner hanging in the office that says, "IS THIS GOOD FOR THE COMPANY?"....it's time to leave. Well, either leave, or upload some software that rips the company off. :wink:

Scott Campbell
04-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I burned out. I felt like I wasn't in a position to contribute the way I was used to contributing anymore, and so I retired at 40. That lasted for a year and a half. Some things changed at the company I left, and I went back there in a different role. It's been great so far, but if it starts to sucks again - I'm back to the beach.

Retirement is wasted on old people.

pacfan
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
not sure where this fits in the discussion. maybe just trying to jack-up my post count :wink:

Charles Woodson
04-21-2006, 04:01 PM

That is from the Chappelle Show where Tyrone gave the recipe for crack cocaine from jail. :lol:

Speaking of Cinoman, i just had a jellybean that tasted like that. Kind of random but whatever