PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Bradford?

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Lions cut receiver Bradford to add O-line depth

The Detroit Lions cut wide receiver Corey Bradford on Wednesday and filled his spot on the roster with tackle Blaine Saipaia to help their banged-up offensive line.

Bradford was signed in March as a free agent to a $7.4 million, four-year contract, which included a $2 million signing bonus. The Lions thought he would be a solid veteran to complement their young receiving corps.

The nine-year veteran started in the season opener and had three catches for 36 yards, then did not make a catch as a reserve in the next two games.

Bradford, who previously played for Houston and Green Bay, has made 204 receptions for 3,218 yards and 25 touchdowns.

Saipaia played 17 games for the Rams the past two years, when Detroit offensive coordinator Mike Martz was their coach. He might play soon because offensive linemen Rex Tucker, Barry Stokes and Ross Verba have been slowed by injuries.

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 04:03 PM
No thanks

FritzDontBlitz
09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
wow, 2 million to play 3 games.

i say sign him too. corey is still fast and he's a big target. i used to love watching him catch the deep sideline pass from brett. he's a definite upgrade from ruvell "the snail" martin...

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
I know he's probably not welcomed back by the Packer Nation with open arms, but I sense that he's still got skills. He could be better than our #3/#4 and is familiar with our organization, probably could fit into our scheme relatively quickly. Who knows whether or not K-Rob will be able to contribute as a regular WR? If so, who knows for how long?

I was a fan of Bradford while he was here. He hasn't done a whole lot since. Perhaps we sign him, give him a shot and cut him if he doesn't work out. At very least, he may be able to speed up our special teams.

Detroit obviously thought enough of him to sign him for a big contract for 4 years. Ok...so that's not saying much....

tyler

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm on the yea! side.

Bring anyone in for a look and upgrade as it's obvious after that look ...

" the Belichick method "

Iron Mike
09-27-2006, 04:52 PM
No thanks

No Louisiana Lightning for you!!!!

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2005/05/05/soup-nazi_416.jpg

ahaha
09-27-2006, 05:07 PM
The guy had awful hands, but he was pretty good at drawing pass interference calls.

KYPack
09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Hated to lose Corey. His hands are OK, you just remember some rookie drops.

Several reservations:

-We'd have to drop one of TT's kiddie Korp and that's against his religion.

-Would Bradford play ST and could he help on Specials. He's a 9 yr man now(Can't believe that!). It's tough to ask a man to go back down below deck when he's been up on the bridge.

- Does Fergy go? if so, then Hell Yeah!

Guiness
09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't see where it helps us much. He might help a team that is a dependable vetran away from getting somewhere, but he doesn't fit into the long term plan here.

Upgrading the starters in one thing, i.e. bringing in a #2 WR, and moving Jennings to #3. But to upgrade the #4 spot at the expense of a prospect? I think it's a bad idea.

Having said that, I'm not sure why Fergy's here. He's got one tackle so far - is he even playing ST?

mmmdk
09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
If Bradford were claimed by Packers off of the WW, wouldn't we have to pick up his salery/contract? That would be a bad move, wait till he clears the WW and then make a move - if at all.

KYPack
09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
One other thing...

Brett likes him

Corey would work hard, stay late and work with Brett.

He loves that stuff and made sure Corey got playing time.

So young WR's, hang with 4, you'll make some money on that second contract. Jennings already borke the code and is one of Brett's boys.

woodbuck27
09-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Several reservations:

-Would Bradford play ST and could he help on Specials. He's a 9 yr man now(Can't believe that!). It's tough to ask a man to go back down below deck when he's been up on the bridge.

Ditto.. time to move him.

Waisted flesh all around.

flipnout91
09-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree. He is better than half the WR's we have.

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
i'd rather have Bradford than Fergie in a heartbeat

digitaldean
09-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Several reservations:

Yes, TT may not want to drop one of his "young guns"

And being down below deck ain't the greatest, but it beats getting tossed overboard!

And the one that can walk the plank is Fergy.

mraynrand
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Bradford:

good speed
hard worker
good blocker
average to poor route runner
hands of stone
body catcher

Do not want him back.

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Wow, I didn't know so many people would want to bring back Bradford..

Just shows how much Packer fans hate Fergy I guess...

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Bradford wouldn't be a bad addition. But maybe Robinson has taken the roster spot needed for him. I'm not sure how Bradford compares to Fergy.

Damn, wish we knew whether Robinson was available for the whole season.

MadtownPacker
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
If KR had not been picked up I would say yeah but at this point no, even at Fergie's expense. As long as KR can go the year I think we are gonna see somthing from him. Like someone said in the Favre celebrating thread, he seemed happy for KR more then the big play. He also saw he has someone else who can get the ball.

I also believe he feels KR's "pain" and might feel the need to help him out with his issues. How better to help him out then to revive his career?

billy_oliver880
09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Bradford wouldn't be a bad addition. But maybe Robinson has taken the roster spot needed for him. I'm not sure how Bradford compares to Fergy.

Damn, wish we knew whether Robinson was available for the whole season.

You got to hope we do. It sounds like he has really gave the return game a boost.

Fritz
09-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Oh, man...Corey Bradford? Ixnay.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Bring back Bradford? What, Bill Schroeder isn't available?

Yikes.

lod01
09-28-2006, 12:12 PM
wow, 2 million to play 3 games.

i say sign him too. corey is still fast and he's a big target. i used to love watching him catch the deep sideline pass from brett. he's a definite upgrade from ruvell "the snail" martin...

He's horrible. Worse than Ferguson and THAT's bad.

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Bring back Bradford? What, Bill Schroeder isn't available?

Yikes.

That's funny stuff. I've heard that they're looking into pulling Beebe out of retirement too.

tyler

ahaha
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Picking up Bradford would only make sense if our receivers were playing awful and we really needed some veteren help. That's just not the case. If there is one position group that has really played well, it's the receivers. The emergence of Jennings has provided a good 1-2 punch. Koren Robinson should be a great third receiver, and even Ferguson has played well for his role. Bradford would just be a stop-gap for a team desperate for WR's.
Bradford does have speed, but his hands and ability to get the ball when it's in the air is awful. He couldn't make it with the Pack when we were in need of good receivers. He was dropped by the Texans who haven't ever had an explosive passing game. And now the Lions (not a team stacked with WR talent opposite Williams) drop him after week 3. Those aren't good signs for any team that is thinking of signing Bradford.

Cheesehead Craig
09-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Hell no, no Bradfo!
Hell no, no Bradfo!

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, if the price was right, I'd consider him a HUGE upgrade over inconsistent Ferguson. Fergie's good for a few spectacular catches per year and lots of spectacular drops.

tyler