PDA

View Full Version : TO and Farve= media ratings

dissident94
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I am so sick on the media jumping on a story before they even know any facts. Journalism is void it seems of any ethics what so ever. They hear a story; report the story; aske questions later. I knwo the police report said he tried to commit suicide, but they could have waited a few hours to here the truth. It is not going to kill the public to wait.

Same thing with Favre. Favre announces a press conference and reporters start speculating and reporting "he is going to reitre" just so you watch or listen to their little show.

If this last one is true and TO did not attempt suicide it is dispicable. It is all I heard or saw this morning. Just ridiculous. I don't liek T.O., but to sit and question his sanity and talk about his problems when it is no ones business besides him and the COwboys. I honstly think some people liked the fact they thought TO did this.

jack's smirking revenge
09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Agreed. The mad rush to break a story is often more important than getting the story right. Doesn't only happen in sports; happens all over the industry. Not a surprise. We do feed the sickness though. Look at all the conversation that has been generated about a lie, fabrication or pseudo-story.

tyler

Packers4Ever
09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Dissident4 quote>

Same thing with Favre. Favre announces a press conference and reporters start speculating and reporting "he is going to reitre" just so you watch or listen to their little show.

Dissident, in the Brett Favre incident, I believe you're referring to the time of his golf outing but he had not reported a press conference. It came out a day or two later that an assistant of his had told this, thinking it was true.

But I know what you mean, a story breaks at noon but the speculation really started 3 hours ago ! :roll:

MJZiggy
09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought the Favre thing was that his assistant announced the conference without giving any details about it, and rather than checking what was going on at that place and time, they all just made assumptions and got on planes.

cpk1994
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I thought the Favre thing was that his assistant announced the conference without giving any details about it, and rather than checking what was going on at that place and time, they all just made assumptions and got on planes.The press conference was one that is held every year at his golf outing. The problem arose when his personal assistant said to reporters that Brett was going to announce his decision at the PC. Well the press went to Bus Cook for confirmation, but Bus said he was not aware. Since nobody denied that was the case, the media assumed it was true and flew to Mississippi. Then Brett comes out at his PC and says he is suprised at all the media and calls this a joke. That compounds everything because the statement from Bretts personal assistant was out two days, his agent was aware of the statement, yet Brett claims he is suprised that the media is there. So either Brett's lying about not knowing, or Bus and the people around them suffered from a complete case of incompetence.

gbgary
09-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I am so sick on the media jumping on a story before they even know any facts. I knwo the police report said he tried to commit suicide, but they could have waited a few hours to here the truth. It is not going to kill the public to wait.

so an embarrassed, back-tracking, TO has more credibility than the police AND the paramedics who reported what TO and his "publicist" said at the scene? i think not. there'a a lot of damage control underway here.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
No, I think Ziggy had it right. The assistant was vague about the press conference. Most media ran with the retirement rumor. Some called Bus Cook--who said he doubted it was true because Brett hadn't told him anything about retiring, and he had talked to Brett in the day or two leading up to that time.

FavreChild
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
If you were a PR rep, would you, in so many words, tell the media that Brett didn't have anything important to say? It's your job to get media to come to the press conference. That still doesn't mean excuse the media's treatment of the issue, nor our reaction to the media hype, I suppose.

As far as T.O. goes, most of us say we are so sick of the drama - the "T.O. watch." But the media tells us they are just giving us what we want. More of the same = less risk, as far as the media is concerned.

Terry
09-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Agreed. The mad rush to break a story is often more important than getting the story right. Doesn't only happen in sports; happens all over the industry. Not a surprise. We do feed the sickness though. Look at all the conversation that has been generated about a lie, fabrication or pseudo-story.

tyler

That's an important point, we feed the sickness. Absolutely. Why criticize the media for feeding people what they want? Mind you, I think that's a circular process that invariably spirals downward. People's wants are pretty well determined by what's available, so it's a sort of chicken and egg question. When newspapers were run by news people, they weren't solely concerned with sales. They would bring their concepts and visions to bear even in trying to make money. It's nearly impossible for someone to do anything else, really, allowing for exceptions. When most news services were purchased by large corporations, the whole ballgame changed. There's no one to blame for this, really - it's virtually inevitable.

People so glibly attack the media. Perhaps they ought to give some thought to how things would be in a world without the media.

I think dissident94 is wrong to make a statement like saying that journalism is devoid of any ethics - journalists are no more devoid of ethics than the rest of us. It simply varies, that's all.

dissident94
09-28-2006, 05:50 PM
After more thought I think I was wrong about it. They had police reports stating that TO tried to commite suicide. Police report is a pretty solid source I guess and had to go with it. I don't know who to believe in it and don't really care anymore. But I guess I did what I said I hated reported an opinion without knowing what I was talking about

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
The only question I have left to this is, if the police didn't release the report to the media, who got hold of it and released it?

KYPack
09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
If you were a PR rep, would you, in so many words, tell the media that Brett didn't have anything important to say? It's your job to get media to come to the press conference. That still doesn't mean excuse the media's treatment of the issue, nor our reaction to the media hype, I suppose.

As far as T.O. goes, most of us say we are so sick of the drama - the "T.O. watch." But the media tells us they are just giving us what we want. More of the same = less risk, as far as the media is concerned.

FC broke the code.

It's the PR/publicist's job to get press conferences attending. When she was drumming up support for this event she would say shit like "You better come see it for yourself". It wasn't real brainy on her part, but it did create interest, and how!

Everyone else didn't deny that a retirement statement mught come out, & a media frenzy was on.

I think the Favre flack was a little aggressive, but it probably the most coverage a press conference for a little golf tourney in the boonies ever got.

She did her job, but maybe a little too well.

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought the Favre thing was that his assistant announced the conference without giving any details about it, and rather than checking what was going on at that place and time, they all just made assumptions and got on planes.

No the assistant got a little too exuberant in her desires to get media attention for 'the cause" surrounding Brett Favre's golf tournament.

She made a statement that caused innocent speculation on behalf of the media that the surprising announcement at the Saturday AM's News Conference... would "in fact" be Favre's announcement of his decision to retire.

This personal assistant as I recall to Deanna Favre..was guilty of over exuberance.

I sensed from all I read about it...she may have to some degree, been taken to account/task for her part in that sensationalized Media hype and complete waste of peoples time and lives, MJ.

Certainly... she took "the Lions share"of blame for that fiasco, MJZiggy. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I thought the Favre thing was that his assistant announced the conference without giving any details about it, and rather than checking what was going on at that place and time, they all just made assumptions and got on planes.The press conference was one that is held every year at his golf outing. The problem arose when his personal assistant said to reporters that Brett was going to announce his decision at the PC. Well the press went to Bus Cook for confirmation, but Bus said he was not aware. Since nobody denied that was the case, the media assumed it was true and flew to Mississippi. Then Brett comes out at his PC and says he is suprised at all the media and calls this a joke. That compounds everything because the statement from Bretts personal assistant was out two days, his agent was aware of the statement, yet Brett claims he is suprised that the media is there. So either Brett's lying about not knowing, or Bus and the people around them suffered from a complete case of incompetence.

No !

Brett plays football and gives news conferences.

He's got no time for BS rumor's or otherwise regarding his football life or otherwise.

He has to spend far too much time cutting grass and clearing trees on his and other people's property... to sacrifice himself to pointless speculation or rumor. :mrgreen: