PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm...Crappy quote from Le Batard article about TO

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 09:54 PM
We grab the stuff that supports our likes and dislikes. If you like Brett Favre and think him a living legend, you ignore his selfishness and his former painkiller addiction and his refusal to tutor Aaron Rodgers and his lack of support for holdout Javon Walker.
1. Since when is Favre selfish?

2. He never said he refuses to tutor Rodgers, he just said he gets paid to win football games, not to coach, but that he'll be more than willing to answer any questions A-Rod asks....

3. Why is he supposed to support a holdout?

Why this is even mentioned in an article about T.O. denying a suicide attempt is beyond me..But it's stupid nonetheless...

PS sorry if the article was already posted in the TO overdose thread..I was just pointing out the quote..

Edited to add link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2605082) and to add part about Javon...

FavreChild
09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
That's so effing ridiculous...but of course not surprising.

See, what makes Favre a living legend is that we saw him go through these struggles, which included his painkiller addiction and more. But he admitted his problems. He learned from his problems. He grew from his problems, and ultimately, he solved those problems.

We saw this wild, crazy, charismatic boy experience emotional highs and lows during the prime of his career that would mess with anyone's mind. And we also saw him mature into a man from those experiences.

People like Dan Le Batard don't get it; Brett is so beloved *because* of his flaws. Like a classic hero from Greek mythology, Favre faced adversity, overcame it, and is a better person because of it today.

Yes, that was probably a little overly romanticized. But that is Favre's story. Now please tell me....what in the hell does that have in common with Terrell Owens??

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
well said, FC.

Um, who is Dan Le Tard or whoever was mentioned as saying this?

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Dan Le Tard
:lol:

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Seriously though, I really have never heard of this guy before.

Is it the new trend for these journalists to get noticed? basically write controversial articles in order to get some hype?

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 10:33 PM

Is it the new trend for these journalists to get noticed? basically write controversial articles in order to get some hype?
Apparently it is...

PS I added to the quote and provided a link for your reading pleasure...

DannoMac21
09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Dan Re Tard?

GBRulz
09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
thanks for the link BF4. :wink: And I wonder why i don't read ESPN magazine!

What an effin jackass.

Terry
09-28-2006, 05:27 AM
That's so effing ridiculous...but of course not surprising.

See, what makes Favre a living legend is that we saw him go through these struggles, which included his painkiller addiction and more. But he admitted his problems. He learned from his problems. He grew from his problems, and ultimately, he solved those problems.

Well, remember, a legend is just that - a legend.

Favre is just a guy and he doesn't really function any differently on a team than any other quarterback. One gets the impression that he's not a prima donna and that is certainly visible on the field. Other than that, what can one say, really? I'm sure Rodgers isn't complaining. You learn by being around people like Favre, that's all. Other than that, I'm sure Favre is under no obligation or request to be an assistant quarterbacks' coach.

Fritz
09-28-2006, 06:30 AM
"People like Dan Le Batard don't get it; Brett is so beloved *because* of his flaws. Like a classic hero from Greek mythology, Favre faced adversity, overcame it, and is a better person because of it today. "

Hey, I loved your post, I really did. I think you make a great point as to why people become legends. A very astute point. However, my sense of the Greeks, at least in terms of their tragedies, is that the heroes were often punished for their hubris, and had to pay a price, from which they learned wisdom but emerged scarred.

This does relate to Favre, in some sense, except in a play like Oedipus, the hero ends up killing his Dad, marrying his mom, and poking his eyes out to punish himself.

This sounds more like something that Dan Le Whoever needs to do.

packinpatland
09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I've said this before, called 'writers' out on it............mention Favre's name in your article and you will get it read, and there will be feed back. Negative or positive, childlike as it may seem, guys like Le Bastard thrive on it.

CaptainKickass
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
It looks like the un-editedversion reveals the guys name spelled properly and also tells the proper story:

Dan Le Bastard[/b]]We grab the stuff that supports our likes and dislikes. If you like Brett Favre and think him a living legend, then as a journalist it would be fatal to your career to write quotes like:

"you ignore his selfishness and his former painkiller addiction"
and -
"his refusal to tutor Aaron Rodgers"
and -
"his lack of support for holdout Javon Walker".

FavreChild
09-28-2006, 11:30 AM
This does relate to Favre, in some sense, except in a play like Oedipus, the hero ends up killing his Dad, marrying his mom, and poking his eyes out to punish himself.

Technically, you are talking about Greek tragedy, and not Greek mythology. But that's beside the point. :wink:

ahaha
09-28-2006, 11:42 AM

Technically, you are talking about Greek tragedy, and not Greek mythology. But that's beside the point. :wink:

In Greek mythology the heroes seem to meet tragic ends. Brett Favre represents the classic American hero.

digitaldean
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM

Dan LeBatard is a writer for the Miami Herald. He's on ESPN Radio periodically and is on ESPN's PTI and the Sports Reporters. He's farther out there than some of the FruitLoops at ESPN. :crazy:

He's throwing crazy things like this out all the time.

Never have liked him, never will.

FritzDontBlitz
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

hey, it works for jay mariotti....