PDA

View Full Version : Spitz To Start Monday?

Joemailman
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Notes: Spitz steps into Moll's spot
Injured guard returns to practice
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 27, 2006
Green Bay - Jason Spitz returned to practice on Wednesday for the first time since suffering a significant thigh bruise in the Green Bay Packers' season opener.

Jason Spitz hasn't played since a significant thigh bruise against the Bears in Week 1.

Where he lined up, though, was just as notable as his presence.

Spitz ran with the No. 1 offense at right guard, displacing fellow rookie Tony Moll, who was the starter at that position in first three games.

And while coach Mike McCarthy stopped short of naming his starters for Monday night's game at Philadelphia, if Spitz's condition continues to improve there's a good chance the third-round pick out of Louisville will get the nod against the Eagles.

"I'm not worried about that right now," said Spitz. "I'm just worried about getting back on the field, staying healthy and just playing some football."

Spitz opened training camp as the starting right guard but slid to the left side two weeks in when second-round pick Daryn Colledge was demoted.

Spitz remained there heading into the opener. But after taking a hit to his thigh against Chicago he was replaced by Colledge, who has regained his footing and shown steady improvement over the past two games.

With McCarthy committed to playing the two best of the four rookie guards on his roster each week, the odd man out for the time being is Moll, a fifth-round pick out of Nevada who was drafted as a tackle but was the surprise winner of the job at right guard coming out of camp.

"Everyone wants to play, everyone wants to start," Moll said. "That's the one tough thing - there's two positions and there's three, four guys trying to make it. But that's how it is, that's how we've always grown up playing football. Only 11 get to play.

"The two best guys are going to be able to get in there."

How Spitz's thigh responds today to his first padded practice looks to be the ultimate factor as to whether he'll start against the Eagles.

"It was a pretty distinct bruise, so we'll see how far he can push it the first time," said McCarthy, who'll make his decision no later than Friday. "It's different pushing on bags and going through rehab than it is getting in there and getting to the team drills. So we're just being smart with him."

Said Spitz: "I'm getting close. We're taking it day by day. Right now my main goal is to just get back to where I was."

This move would make sense. The Pack seemed to be a better running team with Spitz in there against the Bears. Colledge has probably earned the chance to start with his excellent pass-blocking against Shaun Rogers .

BF4MVP
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I guess I don't know who I'd rather have start...Colledge did play well against the Lions....

billy_oliver880
09-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Can't we just stick to one guy? I mean shuffling guys in and out imo isn't going to do the trick.

Fritz
09-28-2006, 06:33 AM
True, true, but if Spitz and Colledge are the two best guards, then you've got to get them out there together.

I'm hoping "Orange" Junius Coston is ready to rock. I predict that he'll be the next Earl Dotson.

Okay, I'm outrageously hopeful. I know.

Zool
09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
True, true, but if Spitz and Colledge are the two best guards, then you've got to get them out there together.

I'm hoping "Orange" Junius Coston is ready to rock. I predict that he'll be the next Earl Dotson.

Okay, I'm outrageously hopeful. I know.Earl Dotson is the only player I've ever seen get 30 yards in penalties on the same play. Does anyone remember what game that was?

Bretsky
09-28-2006, 07:49 AM

Okay, I'm outrageously hopeful. I know.

Coston = Atlas Herrion (one of Patler's hypes :wink: )

Joemailman
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Okay, I'm outrageously hopeful. I know.Earl Dotson is the only player I've ever seen get 30 yards in penalties on the same play. Does anyone remember what game that was?

I believe it was the Monday Night game against Seattle in Holmgren's first year in Seattle.

RashanGary
09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I think the run game might pick up a little with Spitz in there.

I like Colledge as a backup because he can also play OT but if he's playing better than Moll right now then I guess you have to go with your best guys.

I'm kind of intrigued to see Moll next season. He was so raw and underdeveloped for an offensive lineman but he played pretty damn well. I think he might be really good when his body catches up.

If that's the case, we have a nice group for whoever plays QB and RB next season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM

Ya, if one guy is clearly behind the other two. But Moll has played pretty well, and he has started every game at RG, I'm inclined to want to see him stay there. I hope that Spitz & Colledge are significantly better, and not given an edge because they were drafted sooner.

RashanGary
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Ya, if one guy is clearly behind the other two. But Moll has played pretty well, and he has started every game at RG, I'm inclined to want to see him stay there. I hope that Spitz & Colledge are significantly better, and not given an edge because they were drafted sooner.

Ditto.

Brohm
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking that since Moll did pretty good at RT, maybe work Coston out at the guard positons to backup and Moll could be the RT of the future (as long as Colledge and Spitz hang on).

The only question would be how long can Clifton hold on at LT before the injury bug hits. If/when it does Coston could slide in at guard and Colledge man the LT position. So much switching :shock:

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
So much switching :shock:
Well, ya, this has been posted many times, but it would be nice to keep Colledge at backup, so he could keep-up his LT skills. We might need um.

wist43
09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I gotta tell ya I'm fairly suprised that Colledge is still in the starting lineup. I will admit that I didn't watch him very closely during the game, or when I went back and looked at the tape, but my initial impression was that he didn't play well at all.

I did concentrate on him for a couple of series, and he absolutely whiffed on consecutive running plays - didn't touch a single defender. Both plays went for no gain.

I'm very surprised by this... I'll go back and look at him very closely to try to get a handle on what the coaches may be seeing.

Packnut
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Anything that keeps Moll on the bench makes me happy.

wist43
09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
ND72, have you had a chance to look at the OL play from the Detroit game??? I'd be interested in hearing your take on Colledge's play. I went back and looked at Colledge last night (cursory, I admit - didn't have much time give an honest evaluation), but I've got to tell ya what I saw wasn't pretty.

Colledge improved as the game went on, but that's not saying much... some of his play in the 1st half was nothing short of embarrassing.

If it weren't for the fact that McCarthy kept both a TE and RB in on 5 and 7 step drops, there's no way Colledge would have held up long enough for Favre to get rid of the ball.

To me, it looks like he has no knee bend, has led feet, is generally unathletic, gets rag dolled far too often, and doesn't seem to understand what his assignment is half the time.

There were consecutive running plays in the first half where he didn't even touch a defender!!!

I didn't look at Moll, but I can't fathom how they could think that Colledge was capable of manning a spot in the starting lineup. To Colledge has been a major disappointment, bordering on a bust.

Fritz
09-29-2006, 08:14 AM
HH, at this point I don't see that the coaches of this team - or any team - would start the second and third rounders ahead of the third and fifth rounders just because of the round each was drafted in. That may happen in terms of keeping a high-pick first round guy around too long (Jamaal Reynolds, anyone?), but not when you're in week four and the guys are only second and fifth rounders.

I highly doubt that the round in which a guy was drafted in has anything to do with who starts on the offensive line on Monday.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2006, 09:02 AM
I highly doubt that the round in which a guy was drafted in has anything to do with who starts on the offensive line on Monday.

There is definitely a bias towards getting a 2nd rounder on the field. They've invested more in the guy, expect he has more potential, and want to give him playing time to develop that potential.

Spending a 2nd rounder on a guard is a bit unusual.

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2006, 10:11 AM
There is definitely a bias towards getting a 2nd rounder on the field. They've invested more in the guy, expect he has more potential, and want to give him playing time to develop that potential.

Spending a 2nd rounder on a guard is a bit unusual.

The coach wants to win. He'll put the guy in who he thinks gives him a better chance. They proved that by starting Moll over Colledge in the first place--after one bad game by Colledge in the preseason opener. A high draft status only keeps you on the roster longer (see Jamal Reynolds and Ryan Cook).