PDA

View Full Version : Madden...When will it stop?... Curse Lives On.

woodbuck27
09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Curse Lives On

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

By: Matt De Lima

It all started in 1999 with the cover of Madden 2000. Barry Sanders was the first player to be featured on the cover of the game. Only a few weeks after the game began being sold, Sanders abruptly retired. The game's cover has been tainted since.

Former Green Bay Packers RB Dorsey Levens was also featured on some of the covers of the Madden 2000 game, but he was cut the next year and never played a relevant role on any team for the rest of his career.

Eddie George was on the cover of Madden 2001 and although he did have an okay year, he only rushed for 939 yards and he only averaged 3.5 yards per carry after this. He also suffered injuries in that season.

Daunte Culpepper was on the following year's cover. The Vikings stumbled to a 4-7 start and Culpepper was injured and did not play another game that year.

Marshall Faulk had a string of years with the Rams that most of us will never forget. He also made the Madden curse something of folklore. Following a few great years, Faulk was featured on the cover of Madden 2003 and had a terrible year, including a few knee injuries. He also never again rushed for more than 1,000 yards.

Just one day after being featured on the cover of Madden 2004,Michael Vick suffered a devastating injury in which he fractured his fibula. The Falcons subsequently missed the playoffs and Vick only played a handful of games at the end of the season.

Ray Lewis's tough persona likely held off the curse. Lewis only missed the final game of the season following his cover of the Madden 2005 game. The Ravens did not make the playoffs that year. The next season, Lewis suffered a season-ending injury and the Ravens didn't make the playoffs again.

But... does it end?

Donovan McNabb was on the cover of Madden '06. In Week 1, he suffered a sports hernia. This injury required surgery that would have ended McNabb's season, but he chose to play through the pain. In late November, McNabb hurt his groin after attempting to tackle SS Roy Williams of the Cowboys after an interception. McNabb opted to have surgery on his hernia and the Eagles ended 6-10 and missed the playoffs after making it to the Super Bowl the year before.

This all leads us to Shaun Alexander.

Alexander just broke his foot this year after being on cover of Madden '07. He is reported to be out for 2-4 weeks, but Alexander hasn't exactly been putting up his typical numbers. He hadn't yet run for 100 yards in a game and only had 187 yards after three games.

Is the cover cursed? I've presented all the evidence to you, why don't you make your own decision?

Comment:

Something... strange... is going on around here !

Lurker64
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Really, we need to do a controlled experiment. Pick someone who's not likely to be injured and who doesn't stand to have a large impact on the success or failure of a team and put that person on the cover and see what happens. Someone like an offensive line coach, a gunner, or a backup defensive tackle.

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm waiting to see how Alexander plays the rest of the season. Either way, not to be suspicious or anything, but I do hope that no Packer player makes that cover for a long long time... :?

ahaha
09-28-2006, 12:41 PM
The guys that end up on the cover are always coming off of one or more monster seasons. It stands to reason that some of them are due for a down season or a decline into mediocrity. Maybe the Madden cover has had more than what would be normal, but so what. That's just an unlucky string. This is such a silly supersticion.

Cheesehead Craig
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I vote for Longwell for next years game :twisted:

chewy-bacca
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I didnt know Dorsey was on the cover. Did he make it on copies after Barry left?

that would be a nice collectors thing.

chewy-bacca
09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.nflhispano.com/nfl/secciones/fotos/especiales/madden_2000.jpg

man, I dont know why I dont remember this..... :?

chewy-bacca
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/01/46/33/07/0001463307978_215X215.jpg

this is the one I recall. I still cant find one with Barry on it.

edit.....OK I got it! Thats Sanders in the backround rushing the ball. Man, I never even saw the players back there....Im suprised that even counts on the "curse"

RashanGary
09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Madden looks like he aged 15 years since 2000.

He looks like he's ready to die now and he looked to have 20 good years left in 2000.

Merlin
09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I hope one of the Packers DO make the cover! That would mean that they did something outstanding!

As for Alexander, it's simple. Teams are keying off him like we did on Reggie Bush. Has he rushed for over 50 in a game yet??? All I know is that the Seahawks won't be nearly as good without him.

mraynrand
09-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Imagine if you were on the cover of Madden AND were a spokesman for Campbell soup. You probably wouldn't last a day. Actually, I think McNabb is the only guy on both - and he's been injured all the time.

mraynrand
09-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Madden looks like he aged 15 years since 2000.

He looks like he's ready to die now and he looked to have 20 good years left in 2000.

Good point. But how do you explain Dick Jauron? He looks like he was exhumed prior to the 2002 season, and I'm pretty certain no one ever put him on any cover - except maybe a program or media guide.