PDA

View Full Version : Carroll Article

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Brad Zimanek column: Hearing a cheer for Carroll over chorus of boos

By Brad Zimanek packersnews.com

Ahmad Carroll did something good Sunday. He made the play of the game in the Packers' first win of the season.

Yeah, he could have been called for one of his many pass interference penalties, but he wasn't. And, because of his tight coverage on Corey Bradford, the ball popped out of Bradford's hands and into the arms of Marquand Manuel, who returned it for a touchdown and a 14-7 lead en route to a 31-24 victory.

Good for him.

Usually in this profession, you don't "root" for players. Rules of objectivity discourage it. But human nature being what it is, you sometimes can't help it.

I root for Carroll to succeed. The noise you just heard wasn't a tornado, but the air being sucked out of Wisconsin by gasping Packers followers questioning my intelligence and screaming: "You do what?!"

Many wouldn't mind if the Packers cut ties with the penalty-prone, waste of a first-round pick with an attitude problem. I don't see it that way. Carroll came out of college as a junior and that was a mistake.

But ever since he was drafted, he has faced hurdles.

First, Mike Sherman selected him in the first round when, because of his inexperience, he wasn't worthy of being a first-round pick. That alone elevated expectations compared to if he was a second- or third-round choice.

Second, Mike McKenzie's orchestrated flight to New Orleans forced Carroll into the starting lineup as a rookie when he wasn't ready for it mentally or physically.

Third, the NFL instituted tougher rules for defensive backs on illegal contact. That was all Carroll had ever known while at Arkansas and, in all honesty, his speed and physical play were the main reasons Sherman drafted him in the first place.

Fourth, and not to be taken lightly, is the adjustment for an African-American growing up in Atlanta to moving to and living in Green Bay. It's a culture shock to put it mildly — and it doesn't help when the hometown fans are booing you.

No one could blame Carroll for being frustrated with things he couldn't control and with his own physical abilities being questioned probably for the first time in his life.

After being demoted with the acquisition of Charles Woodson, I expected Carroll to be bitter, but he wasn't. He said his goal for his third season was to get eight interceptions and be the best special teams player he can be.

Of course, eight is unrealistic considering he has three for his career. But you can't fault him for setting his goals high.

Carroll is a gifted athlete and he can be a productive NFL starting cornerback. He has already suffered through a lot of adversity and I'm partial to people — in sports and in life — who can weave through life's obstacles and reach the finish line.

Brad Zimanek can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 297, or at bzimanek@postcrescent. com.

Pack0514
09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
What, are we supposed to feel sorry for the guy?..... F#ck that, either he performs or he doesnt. I am not ready to give up on the guy yet though. I think we have seen and will continue to see improvement.

GoPack06
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I still think he's gonna be an above average CB. Hes just young and will take longer.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2006, 12:08 PM
He aint asking to feel sorry for him he is just saying that people should be more understanding and maybe have some patience.

Say what you want to say and hate if you wanna hate but Carroll has wheels, straight up speed and he is a violent lil dude. He shows no fear and is still one of the youngest players on the team. If Harris is really that mad then toss his ass on the bench and start Carroll. You might see a penalty but you will never see him getting left behind.

ahaha
09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
He aint asking to feel sorry for him he is just saying that people should be more understanding and maybe have some patience.

Say what you want to say and hate if you wanna hate but Carroll has wheels, straight up speed and he is a violent lil dude. He shows no fear and is still one of the youngest players on the team. If Harris is really that mad then toss his ass on the bench and start Carroll. You might see a penalty but you will never see him getting left behind.

Hear, hear! Carroll definately has the speed and power to be a good DB. If he could ever develop into an instinctive and fundamentally sound player, he'd be a pro-bowler.

Pack0514
09-28-2006, 01:26 PM

I dont disagree with anything you said.... All I am saying is that either you perform or you dont.... I dont care if you are from China, Cabrini Green, The Hamptons, or the Moon. I am willing to give him more time because I see potential, not because of some of the things listed in that article.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree too and I see him coming up. D needs some playmakers and Carroll has made some plays. He just needs to cut the brainfreezes.

the_idle_threat
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I think Carroll is a dumb guy who will always be immature, but that doesn't mean I want to see him fail. Some dumb guys can play football at a high level, and I hope Carroll turns out to be one of them.

Harris might be declining and Woodson is obviously no All-Pro anymore, so we really need Carroll to keep getting better. Even with his mental mistakes, he may be just as good as the other two who might make fewer mental errors but have increasing physical limitations.

packers11
09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I think Carroll is a dumb guy who will always be immature, but that doesn't mean I want to see him fail. Some dumb guys can play football at a high level, and I hope Carroll turns out to be one of them.

Harris might be declining and Woodson is obviously no All-Pro anymore, so we really need Carroll to keep getting better. Even with his mental mistakes, he may be just as good as the other two who might make fewer mental errors but have increasing physical limitations.

And to think Sherman passed on Chris Gamble.... Carroll has a lot more speed than Gamble, but in my opinion, gamble is better....

Noodle
09-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Mad is exactly right on this. Carroll's got some serious skills, and he's no punk on the field -- he'll bring the wood. These kind of stories help put things in perspective a little bit.

Look, guys are going to go through some rough patches. Do you cut them slack, or do you just cut them? When you see the whole picture, you can see a lot of reasons to cut the guy some slack. Which I'm glad to do. But not because I feel sorry for him -- it's because I think the dude is a straight up baller.

Merlin
09-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I still think he's gonna be an above average CB. Hes just young and will take longer.

He's a 3rd year veteran. He doesn't need anymore time. He should be more than average now! He started for TWO YEARS! What did he learn? Not a hell of a lot...

mraynrand
09-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I still think Carroll hasn't reached his full potential. If the guy can just keep plugging and mature a bit more, I think he's going to be very good for a long time. I still think they gave the starting job to Woodson because of reputation, salary, and personality (Woodson might not be able to handle being the nickle back) and it's entirely possible that Carroll is better at this point.

BooHoo
09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Next year he might make the team because of his special teams play!