PDA

View Full Version : I just interviewed Fred Vinson ...

mission
09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
... for a $24,000 a year entry level position.

when i picked up his resume, i chuckled and thought "fred vinson, we had one playing for us a few years back" and then flipped the page and saw a few nfl teams listed on his "resume" ... hahah

anyway, real nice guy... but TINY. 160 lbs now? told me he spent some time in sherman's camp his first year and it was a complete mess, players didnt respect him at all behind his back. i almost felt for MS for a second. almost.

he thinks the pack is done and that vick is the real deal :lol: :lol:

had to share :oops:

ahaha
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Did you thank him for helping us get Ahman Green?

chewy-bacca
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
that was a good trade.

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Did he get the job...?

MadtownPacker
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
told me he spent some time in sherman's camp his first year and it was a complete mess, players didnt respect him at all behind his back.
That should tell you what he will do if you hire him. :mrgreen:

Rastak
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
told me he spent some time in sherman's camp his first year and it was a complete mess, players didnt respect him at all behind his back.
That should tell you what he will do if you hire him. :mrgreen:

Be honest?

:shock:

BF4MVP
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
hahaha it's a small world

GBRulz
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM

That alone would tell me he's not qualified!!

Brainerd
09-28-2006, 02:49 PM

when i picked up his resume, i chuckled and thought "fred vinson, we had one playing for us a few years back" and then flipped the page and saw a few nfl teams listed on his "resume" ... hahah

anyway, real nice guy... but TINY. 160 lbs now? told me he spent some time in sherman's camp his first year and it was a complete mess, players didnt respect him at all behind his back. i almost felt for MS for a second. almost.

Rookie Contract with Packers

2. Fred Vinson, CB: Four years at $2.247 million, average of $561,175, '99 cap salary of $470,000. Signing bonus of $900,000. Base salaries of $245,000 in '99, $286,250 in 2000, $347,000 in 2001 and $408,750 in 2002. Workout bonuses of $20,000 in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

What exactly did he do with all his money that he's applying for a $24,000 a year entry level job? Sorry, but I'm skeptical.

gbpackfan
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM

That alone would tell me he's not qualified!!

Well, if he is down to applying for low wage jobs, I think he is the one that is DONE!

I guess he didn't watch Vick on Monday Night Football. Didn't he complete about 30% of his passes. He was BRUTAL!

retailguy
09-28-2006, 03:19 PM

2. Fred Vinson, CB: Four years at $2.247 million, average of $561,175, '99 cap salary of $470,000. Signing bonus of $900,000. Base salaries of $245,000 in '99, $286,250 in 2000, $347,000 in 2001 and $408,750 in 2002. Workout bonuses of $20,000 in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

What exactly did he do with all his money that he's applying for a $24,000 a year entry level job? Sorry, but I'm skeptical.

He might have invested it, he might have spent it. Really, what would you expect him to do? Tony Mandarich manages a golf course....

It really could be true.

mission
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
hahah good responses...

im not going to call him back for a second interview because he told me he wants a job where he can use photoshop (strange...) and sit behind a desk all day. for the first three months here i have people doing outside sales to learn about our products so eventually you can properly manage the creation of it and nuture existing accounts (acct mgr).

i kept trying to kind of feel out why the hell he was here in the first place without making him feel like an idiot. it sounds like he kind of lived a baller lifestyle, had a bit of money saved up but his wife (brand new wife btw) is putting the pressure on him to stop playing arena football (yes, thats right) and get into something that's gonna make some money... meaning: he doesnt have any?

i dont know, maybe that's too much information but i got a kick out of it. couldnt believe how tiny he was...

six months ago i interviewed chris calloway (the wideout) and even brought him back for a second shadow interview, we went out to dinner to discuss compensation following and i just felt for what he wanted coming through the door and his laidback-the-world-has-taken-care-of-me attitude that i couldnt guarantee him what he wanted without getting a certain performance type of guarantee for me. maybe i just need rosenhaus. :razz:

mission
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM

He might have invested it, he might have spent it. Really, what would you expect him to do? Tony Mandarich manages a golf course....

It really could be true.

what could be true? that i interviewed fred vinson for a sports marketing position? hahah i definitely wouldnt make that up. id at least say michael vick ... you know, part time. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
What industry are you in?

mission
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
advertising

retailguy
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
what could be true? that i interviewed fred vinson for a sports marketing position? hahah i definitely wouldnt make that up. id at least say michael vick ... you know, part time. :lol:

Yeah, that was my point, responding to the guy who said he was skeptical.

Even if Vinson still has money, he's gotta have something to do..... besides arena ball. Wives have needs, you know... :mrgreen:

Badgepack
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Ask Cletidus Hunt where all the money goes. Some people just can't handle thier money wisely.

mission
09-28-2006, 04:39 PM

Yeah, that was my point, responding to the guy who said he was skeptical.

Even if Vinson still has money, he's gotta have something to do..... besides arena ball. Wives have needs, you know... :mrgreen:

yeah exactly :lol:

i mean, fred vinson isnt exactly a household name either ... being in my industry i interview a lot of music people and athletes at different times in their careers. most of them coming in knowing they're interviewing for an entry level position but think they can sit here and barter with me for an 80k position because of what they've done/who they are. it's comical really.

fred didnt. he was a really laidback, nice guy. he's just the first (ex)packer that ive ever interviewed.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
advertising

You do (don't know the term) stuff outside of print, tv, radio?

red
09-28-2006, 04:50 PM
god damnit, i want an advertising job, why can't there be any of those in the midwest?

mission
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
advertising

yes. jingles and slogans and logos is not our forte -- it doesnt force change in consumer behavior as effectively as alternative methods. we do promotional advertising which involves management of perishable inventory and using that to drive qualified customers through the door.

you cant sell a ticket to yesterday's game. lets get people (who have disposable income and who're impulsive money spenders) sitting there, drinking beer, paying for parking and merchandise and get them to come back later and pay full price.

it's a lot of fun... i get to do a lot of leadership development and work with some pretty cool clients.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
hey, hey, lets not get too snotty. so the guy is looking for a job, there are worse crimes.

I guess the majority of guys who get a sniff of the NFL don't get set for life. Ya, 24K sucks, but there are too many people chasing the better paying jobs. Lots of people gotta work for 24K

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
advertising

yes. jingles and slogans and logos is not our forte -- it doesnt force change in consumer behavior as effectively as alternative methods. we do promotional advertising which involves management of perishable inventory and using that to drive qualified customers through the door.

you cant sell a ticket to yesterday's game. lets get people (who have disposable income and who're impulsive money spenders) sitting there, drinking beer, paying for parking and merchandise and get them to come back later and pay full price.

it's a lot of fun... i get to do a lot of leadership development and work with some pretty cool clients.

Can I get an example of your work or perishable item? You can PM if you feel more comfortable. I'm in sales (but new to the field) so I'm always interested in finding out about different sales/career paths.

Brainerd
09-28-2006, 07:31 PM
i mean, fred vinson isnt exactly a household name either ... being in my industry i interview a lot of music people and athletes at different times in their careers. most of them coming in knowing they're interviewing for an entry level position but think they can sit here and barter with me for an 80k position because of what they've done/who they are. it's comical really.

fred didnt. he was a really laidback, nice guy. he's just the first (ex)packer that ive ever interviewed.

Ok, ok. It was the entry level position for at least a one-time millionaire that had me skeptical. Sports marketing, that makes sense. Didn't mean to imply you were lying. I thought you were being sarcastic since Mr. Vinson was such a bust in the NFL.