PDA

View Full Version : Packers Draft Preview

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Packers Draft Preview
By Jon Lopuch, Fanball

Wants and Needs: Their quarterback of the future is already in place (or is he?), but the Packers have needs everywhere else on offense. The running game was a complete disaster last season until free agent back Sam Gado took over after injuries sidelined everyone else. Yet for some reason, Green Bay didn't do anything to upgrade this group over the offseason. It probably won't matter, though, unless they address the interior of the offensive line. All three interior positions remain dire needs; in fact, the loss of center Mike Flanagan weakened an already porous unit. The receiving corps also needs some depth added, especially if Javon Walker really isn't bluffing about wanting to leave town. On defense, the Green and Gold need to pick up a starting-caliber cornerback and two linebackers. They are comfortable at safety thanks to the signing of Marquand Manuel, but more depth along the defensive line should be a goal.

Potential Selections: The Packers should go defense in the first round, likely choosing linebacker A.J. Hawk, who will be an immediate starter. If D'Brickashaw Ferguson falls to No. 5, don't be shocked to see Green Bay take him and move Mark Tauscher to guard. The second round may see the team begin addressing their offensive line issues, likely with such players as Max Jean-Gilles, Nick Mangold, or Deuce Lutui. In fact, expect multiple picks to be spent on the line, so guys projected to go later in the draft like Charles Spencer and Ryan Cook may also be donning the green and gold as rookies. Cornerback remains a need that may be addressed on day one. Alan Zemaitis, Anwar Phillips, and DeMario Minter are all possibilities if the Pack wait until the third round to go that direction.

Green Bay's Picks:
Round One: 5th overall
Round Two: 36th overall
Round Three: 67th overall
Round Four: 104th overall
Round Five: 139th overall, 165th overall (compensatory pick)
Round Six: None (traded to New Orleans)
Round Seven: 253rd overall

ND72
04-19-2006, 11:18 AM
good write up...personally, if we spend a 4th round pick on an OL guy, i'd rather trade it to cleveland for Jeff Faine. In the 2nd round, i wouldn't be surprised if we look at Davan Joseph because i think he fits better in our offense, if he's there, or Lutui. Also wouldn't be surprised if we look at a CB there, there are like 10 CB's that are all about the same level from late first through late 2nd. also wouldn't mind if we moved down inthe 2nd, grab another 3rd or 4th and more, and still end up with some of those guys.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I like Faine, but if you told me right now that we could get Greg Eslinger with that 4th round pick, I'm not sure who I'd rather have. Faine over any other OG/OC we might get in round 4 though.

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 02:53 PM
If I were Brett, I'd be pretty scared with 3 starting, rookie, interior lineman blocking for me. Given that, half of the draft will be spent on o-lineman alone - we need to make some trades and pick up a few more mid round selections to shore up the line, 3rd string QB, WR, CB, LB among others.

I was sure Brett would say something definitive by now - or at least the draft. IMO, if he doesn't say something by next Saturday - he's done. Too bad, our offense is severly lacking weapons at WR and we have a rookie line, injured TE/RB and a :?: at QB. Our D is gonna have to rival the Bears of last year of Ravens of years ago.

packrulz
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I think TT will wait right until he's on the clock and either trade or draft Mario if he's there. Might be a trade with Denver but I'd rather trade with Oakland. I don't buy all the smokescreen about Mario, I think he'll still be there at 5 but hell I even wonder if he's for real. I just don't want another Rich Campbell, Jamal, Mandarich, T-Buck, & etc. TT HAS to hit on this draft. Hawk would start right away & be fun to watch, Mario will take awhile. I remember when the Pack drafted Ezra Johnson, he was pretty darn good.

packrulz
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
News Flash: 49ers Trade with Denver for Another 1st Round Pick Back to Homepage
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The San Francisco 49ers announced Wednesday that they have moved up in the 2006 draft by trading a second and third round pick for the Denver Broncos first round selection (22nd overall).

As a result of the trade the 49ers will now have two first round picks in the 2006 draft. This is the first time San Francisco has had two first-round selections since 2000.

“We took advantage of a great opportunity to acquire a second first-round draft pick today after working out a trade with the Denver Broncos,” head coach Mike Nolan said. “We feel like we acquired more value by making the trade for this pick. I am looking forward to improving our team with all ten draft picks, including the two first-round picks.”

San Francisco has 10 draft picks in 2006: two first-round draft picks, a third round pick from a trade with Washington, an extra sixth-round pick from a trade with Tampa Bay and an additional seventh-round selection from a trade with Jacksonville along with a compensatory pick in the seventh round. The 49ers open the 2006 draft with the sixth and twenty second overall selection in the first round, third (84), fourth (100), the fifth (140), two in the sixth (175) and (192) and three in the seventh (213), (236) and (254) rounds

HMMMM, maybe Shanahan is loading up his ammo for a trade with TT.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Or maybe the Niners are stockpiling to move up...

packrulz
04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Not really stockpiling if they gave up 2 picks for a 1st rounder. They must really like someone. Ngata maybe?

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Not really stockpiling if they gave up 2 picks for a 1st rounder. They must really like someone. Ngata maybe?

She said San Fran. They wouldn't trade up for Ngata. He'll be there when they draft. Maybe they are stockpiling to move up to get Reggie Bush.

Partial
04-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Harv,

interesting theory. Really, really interesting in fact.

All signs do in fact point to Fergie being available at 6 and thats who they really need. That would pretty good value, giving up a third, and two firsts and maybe a second next year or something?

They could get Debrick and a backer? So many possibilities.

Tarlam!
04-20-2006, 05:04 AM
Can't wait for next weekend to finally arrive!