PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts about the Packers Logos...

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
The oval "G" logo was created in 1961 by Packers equipment manager Dad Braisher. The team actually used a number of different logos prior to 1961, but the "G" is the only logo that has ever appeared on the helmet. Although other organizations, notably the University of Georgia and Grambling State University, utilize a similar logo, the Packers were the first to employ it and hold the trademark for it. However, the University of Georgia does hold some rights to the logo and was not required to remove the "G" logo as Grambling State University was because Vince Dooley slightly redesigned the "G" logo in 1964. Green Bay's current, redesigned "G" logo is modeled after the University of Georgia's redesign of the original "G" logo.

1951-1955
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/tr8tr/kfe50beil9jo3xf2nee7.gif

1956-1961
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/tr8tr/uhye4wpig2d7ul8sebe2.gif

1961-1979
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/tr8tr/560.gif

1980-pres
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/tr8tr/dcy03myfhffbki5d7il3.gif

GBRulz
09-28-2006, 02:43 PM
can't see the pics. Is it just me?

Noodle
09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
No, I can't either. And I really want to! This needs to be fixed.

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Well that's wierd. They show up for me.... Hmmm...

Don't really know, unless img linking has been restricted somehow.

Sorry guys.

tyler

the_idle_threat
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Well that's wierd. They show up for me.... Hmmm...

Don't really know, unless img linking has been restricted somehow.

Sorry guys.

tyler

The site you're linking from might restrict image linking somehow. I know zip about computers, but I understand this can be done somehow.

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Working on fixing it...

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Work now?

tyler

Pack0514
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I see them.

BallHawk
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I see them.

Ditto.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I see dead people.

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
You always have been a little different... :mrgreen:

retailguy
09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
sometimes if you don't see the photos initially you can right click on the red "x" and select "view picture". Once it is in your cache of history files, it'll typically view it then

red
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
is it just me, or are the 2 G's the same damn thing, the later one just has a little yellow around it?

RashanGary
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I like the idea of new uni's. I'm not a big fan of our colors. It's not any one thing. They're just ugly.

Badgepack
09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't see the Packers changing uni's anytime in the near future.

Too much history.

retailguy
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
is it just me, or are the 2 G's the same damn thing, the later one just has a little yellow around it?

It's just you. Really.

GBRulz
09-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Too much history.

agreed.

GBRulz
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
i can see the pics now..whatever you did to fix them worked, JSR

red
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM

Too much history.

more then half of our teams history came when our uniforms looked a lot different

pbmax
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Nice mention of Willie Davis at the bottom.

=================

Grambling to change Packers-style logo

Famed coach Eddie Robinson with G logo By Bill Huber

Date: Jun 1, 2005

For image and monetary reasons, renowned Grambling State University is going to change its Packers-style “G” logo, the university has announced.

The “G” has been used on Grambling’s football helmets for the past 31 years. Last week, the school — thinking it had let its trademark on the “G” lapse — announced it was going to create a new logo because it had lost its legal right to make vendors pay for the rights to use the “G” on merchandise.
According to Grambling records, however, the school only applied for a trademark in 1997 and was turned down because it was too similar to the logos used by the Packers and the University of Georgia.

The Packers, in fact, own the trademark on the “G” but had given Georgia and Grambling limited rights to use the logo. The Packers have had the “G” plastered on their yellow helmets since 1961.

“Grambling, with its renown and international acclaim, should have its own mark,” Vickie Jackson, a Grambling spokeswoman, said. “This administration is taking us to another level. Part of that is standardizing the look.”

Grambling’s use of the “G” has another Packers tie.

According to Wilbert Ellis, who at the time was an assistant to school president and baseball coach R.W.E. Jones, one reason the school chose the “G” was to honor Willie Davis, a Grambling graduate who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame for his play at defensive end for the Packers.

Davis — who opened scouts eyes by making 19 solo tackles and 16 assisted tackles during a game against Florida A&M — was the school’s first hall of famer. He was drafted by Cleveland in the 17th round of the 1956 draft and acquired in a 1960 trade by Vince Lombardi. He is the Packers’ all-time leader in fumble recoveries with 21.

jack's smirking revenge
09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know if I support the change in uniforms anymore. After seeing the horrible change the Vikes made to their jerseys and the refs made to their uniforms, I'm pretty comfortable with the classic look and feel. I'd bet they're both wishing they could turn back the clock.

Basically, there's no way to make a big, ol' "G" and a history of meat-packers sexy. Best just to keep it simple.

tyler

Badgepack
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Too much history.

more then half of our teams history came when our uniforms looked a lot different

True, but we have had the same basic uni since 1960.

Before that, the Packers changed uni design and colors often.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2006, 05:19 PM
a history of meat-packers sexy.

I think meat packing sounds sexy, yes.

mmmdk
09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Please, never change the G on the helmets, same goes for Packers rival Bears and their C. Too much history. Minor changes to uniforms are OK with me, just not like the Vikings - HORRIBLE is the word. The new Lions unifirms are status quo. The Cardinals did well with new uniforms from last year, also that mean bird looks...well...mean. It can be done, just have respect for the teams history.

Kiwon
09-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Interesting history. All I can say is that graphic design improved in Wisconsin after 1960.

Merlin
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I like the idea of new uni's. I'm not a big fan of our colors. It's not any one thing. They're just ugly.

If you remember the 75th Anniversay season where the Packers wore the mustard color pants and helmets, after that season there was talk about change. The organization looked hard into it but after much deliberation decided not to change the uni's. I thought the mustard pants rocked. But they were right, it wouldn't be the Packers if the uni's changed. Although I am sure TT will change them to orange and purple....

MJZiggy
09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I think TT knows just where the line is between life and death for his dog...

No Mo Moss
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
I can think of a logo I'd like to see but probably won't.

BallHawk
09-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't want to change just for the sake of change. It'll be cool for a year and then most would just forget about it.

The Packers Uni's aren't the snazziest in the NFL, nor the sharpest, but they are traditional, and I think that means something.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers go with those gold jereseys, in one game. It was talked about for a Cowboys game two seasons ago, but then it was pulled. An alternate would be cool, an permanent change would not.