PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza, from a franchise

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
My vote is for Papa Murphys! Last night we picked one up (for those who don't have one they are a "take and Bake"). 15 bucks for a pizza as big as the tires on my truck, pie style pizza. damn it was good

best ingrediant on pizza?? my vote would go for bacon. the pizza i had last night was chicken, tomato, onion, bacon

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
A conversation near and dear to my heart. I love pizza. My franchise vote is Pizza Hut because I love their crust. My ultimate fave is a local place called Pizza Luce. Great little place with tattooed waiters and waitresses. The 'za is awesome.

tyler

Tarlam!
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
This thread blows.

I know how great the food is in Americs for QSR junkies, like myself. I cannot even attempt to compete in this thread.

That's why, it blows.

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 11:33 AM
jack, do you have a papa murphy's near by?

i don't really care for pizza hut, it seems like every time i get one they put 3pieces of sausage and 2 slivers of cheese and burn the piss out of it. then have the nuts to ask me for 20 bucks. however, their stuffed crust pizza is by far their best invention.

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
tarlam, what is QSR junkies?

arn't you comming over to the states soon? make sure you get your good fast food fillup befor you head back

Tarlam!
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Quick Service Restaurants.

I won't see my beloved sister country for another 13 months according to my current sched.

MadtownPacker
04-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Whisk is right, Papa Murphy's is the shit. the chicago stuff crust is great!!

FUCk Pizza hut, greasy ass garbage!!

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I've tried Murphy's. I'm not a big fan of take-and-bake. Never turns out like the fresh stuff in my experience. I'll give Muprhy's another try though. I don't think there's one close to where I live, but I'll hunt one down. Thanks for the tip.

tyler

potsdam_11
04-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Papa Murph's is ok for the first 6mo's.... at which point all their pizza tastes the same... The other 3 all taste the same.... BAD.... We have a Luce here as well... great stuff, maybe the best pepperoni I have eaten..

Used to love Uno, Eduardo's and Rocky's when I lived in Mad Town...

Come on Tarlam... don't be a wanker... your opinion counts here too!

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Papa Murph's is ok for the first 6mo's.... at which point all their pizza tastes the same... The other 3 all taste the same.... BAD.... We have a Luce here as well... great stuff, maybe the best pepperoni I have eaten..

Used to love Uno, Eduardo's and Rocky's when I lived in Mad Town...

Come on Tarlam... don't be a wanker... your opinion counts here too!

Thanks for jumping into the convo Potsdam! Welcome to the PR world!

I didn't realize Luce was a chain. Can I ask what city you live in? I salivate at the mention of Luce. In fact, I may have to zip down there over lunch.... :D

tyler

CyclonePackFan
04-19-2006, 12:22 PM
What, no Papa Johns?

(There are still Little Caesars around? Jesus, it's been about 10 years since I've seen a commercial for one)

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Anybody try Figaro's? New franchise just opened in the neighborhood...

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Anybody try Figaro's? New franchise just opened in the neighborhood...

Yeah, I really like Figaro's. I forgot all about them (I've only had it a few times since I moved). I prefer them over Murphys in the take-n-bake market.

tyler

Tarlam!
04-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Fli ck you Pots!:D You used the W word - I only threatened!

SkinBasket
04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
We need a Glass Nickel Pizza in the milwaukee area. I would drive half an hour to pick that stuff up. They will make you any pizza you want, how you want it, no b**ching and no extra charges. That and it is the tastiest mothereffen pizza the SkinBasket has consumed to date.

Our favorites used to be a cheddar and tomato for me and my wacky wife would order a "pizza" with nothing but riccota cheese. No sauce, no nothing. Just ricotta.

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 12:43 PM
cylcone, i actually prefer ceasars to pizza hut (except stuffed crust). they have a 5 lunch one topping pizza. best cheap pizza.

i agree with mad pizza hut is just a grease bomb.

tarlam, how come i never understand what you are rambling about. type english man!!! (at least redneck english) :mrgreen:

potsdam_11
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Fli ck you Pots!:D You used the W word - I only threatened!

Yes, I did... however I merely stated, Don't be a W ... far be it from me to suggest otherwise..

Tyler..

Luce's, in Daloot, Mn Corner of Lake Ave. and Superior Street... 1/2 block from the office... and 2 blocks from the beaches of Lake Superior.. bring your flannel swimsuit, it's still a bit nippy.

Same great pizza... same tattooed staff

CyclonePackFan
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
cylcone, i actually prefer ceasars to pizza hut (except stuffed crust). they have a 5 lunch one topping pizza. best cheap pizza.

i agree with mad pizza hut is just a grease bomb.

tarlam, how come i never understand what you are rambling about. type english man!!! (at least redneck english) :mrgreen:

I've never had Little Ceasars. It looks like there's still one or two left in the Twin Cities, I might have to make an excursion next time I'm home.

Best local pizza: Steve's Pizza, River Falls. Endorsed by Joe Montana as the best pizza he's ever had, I <3 their Pepperoni & Feta Cheese.

Pack0514
04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Alright PIZZA, now were talkin' here. Without a doubt my favorite pizza from a chain is Papa Murphy's.

The Sicilian Pizza from Papa Murphy's is the shit. I love that stuff.

If we are talking about some greasy pizza, then the best Greasy pizza out there is from Uno Chicago Grill Pizza. Thats also some good shit.

Papa Johns gets honorable mention.

There is nothing better Pizza, Beer, and some good old pigskin to waste a day away.

Anyone else hungary around here?

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Try thirsty.

You had to go and bring up BEER, didn't you? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm different than most. I don't like Caeser's. I think Papa Murphy's is overrated. Domino's is okay. I like Pizza Hut. I like Sammy's Pizza in Green Bay and Winona, MN.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
We need a beer poll. Leinie's for domestics and Newcastle Brown Ale should be on the list.
:D

jack's smirking revenge
04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
My favorite pizza in GB?

Jake's.

Those of you who live in the area, is it still around?

tyler

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm different than most. I don't like Caeser's. I think Papa Murphy's is overrated. Domino's is okay. I like Pizza Hut. I like Sammy's Pizza in Green Bay and Winona, MN.

harv, what is overated about Papa Murphy's?????? huge pizza, all the topings you can immagine, fresh pizza, low price. unless they put dog shit on the pizza and called it sausage, how can it be overated. unless you don't like to cook your own. :?

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Well, the main strike against Papa Murphy's (and ALL chains, really) is that their pizza is really *authentic* Italian. And they are bland.

But whaddya gonna do? Other than that, you are right, LW.

Little Whiskey
04-19-2006, 03:44 PM
this is what i had for dinner last night

Stuffed Pizzas
Stuffed and topped with over almost a full pound of cheese on every Family Size pizza. It's topped with another layer of dough and sauce. The Family Size weighs over 5 lbs!

GRILLED CHICKEN & BACON STUFFED PIZZAâ„¢
Creamy garlic sauce, grilled chicken, crispy bacon, Roma tomatoes and onion mix. Garnished with Roma tomatoes and crispy bacon.

IT ONLY COST $15!!!

Great Flavor!!, Great Value, DAMN I GETTING HUNGRY!!! :mrgreen:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Oreganos. Based in Phoenix.

Have never had Papa Murphy's, but most national/large chains stink. They have no flavor. Produced to not offend anyone, therefore no one can truly love the pizza.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd rather get it from one of those little hole-in-the-wall pizza joints where the crust is crispy and the ingredients fresh, and the toppings!!! I miss pizza. They need better heartburn medicine.

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Has anyone else been to Ion's in Madison? It opened up my junior year at UW and I heard they were opening a second store. The za is very tasty and has lots of entree type pizzas (think California Pizza Kitchen but with quality ingrediants and made fresh). That's the place I saw a fight with some drunks between UW players (including Bollinger and some lineman) and some frat boys. It was pretty funny - and the pizza was awesome. I wish I could get back to Madtown more often.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd rather get it from one of those little hole-in-the-wall pizza joints where the crust is crispy and the ingredients fresh, and the toppings!!! I miss pizza. They need better heartburn medicine.

In unequivocal agreement. We have a place in downtown Phx, Pizzeria Bianco that is out of this world. NY Times writer said it was the best in the country. Thank you Mr. Writer, now a 2 hour wait.

When I went to UW, there were 2 that I ate more than any other delivery. Jims and Gumby's. Mostly liked Gumby's so I could order the "Gumby Dammit" pizza.

Uno's use to be alot better. Something happened to the chain..maybe it was all the focus on other items beside pizza.

I think the worst is Godfather's..they only seem to be in small towns or gas stations.

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
We don't eat pizza much but I don't care for any of ones mentioned in the poll. A local called Happy Joes is the best here now. However.....the homemade pizza we served in our bar/restaurant a few (ok, several) years back was THE best.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Not to abruptly change the subject or anything, but did you ever pick up that pressure cooker you were thinking of?

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Not to abruptly change the subject or anything, but did you ever pick up that pressure cooker you were thinking of?

pizza.....pressure cookers ...hmmm. :razz:

Nope. I managed to cook the meal I wanted to for my Dad without it. Now it doesn't seem as important. Someday I will try one.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Glad it worked.

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
You will have to let me know how the canning goes this summer.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I have to get my veggies in--I'm way late. I have to grow something to can first.

Iron Mike
04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
My favorite pizza in GB?

Jake's.

tyler

On main street, by the greyhound station?

If I'm gonna drive 70 miles for a pizza, I'll head to Amico's in Bonduel :wink:

Iron Mike
04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
We don't eat pizza much but I don't care for any of ones mentioned in the poll. A local called Happy Joes is the best here now. However.....the homemade pizza we served in our bar/restaurant a few (ok, several) years back was THE best.

No, no, no.......the best is Bilotti's in De Pere :mrgreen:

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
My favorite pizza in GB?

Jake's.

tyler

On main street, by the greyhound station?

If I'm gonna drive 70 miles for a pizza, I'll head to Amico's in Bonduel :wink:

All this dam pizza talk, and I've lost 18lbs the last month and am still on a flipping diet pounding water. I want sum Papa Murphy's !!

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Shall we switch to salads? Wendy's has a nice salad series. I particularly like the Mandarin Chicken

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Shall we switch to salads? Wendy's has a nice salad series. I particularly like the Mandarin Chicken

Wendy's Taco salad is good too. After you go through all the work putting it together you are either not hungry or your lunch time is over. :razz:

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:09 PM

I have a friend in De Pere. I'll have to try that next time I'm there.

Iron Mike
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM

Well, where was the bar/restaurant???

GrnBay007
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM

Well, where was the bar/restaurant???

lol a little road-side place in IL ...I'm sure you never heard of it. Had a bunch of land with it so we built some sand volleyball courts and had leagues and weekend tournaments with outdoor bands at night. Tons of hours but funnest years of my life! This is what I did right after college .....can still see my Dad's reaction to us buying a bar after I graduated....lol He loved it though....even volunteered his Saturdays to bartend and bs with the customers.

GBRulz
04-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I used to like Papa John's, but they changed management here a couple years ago and kinda went downhill.

Honestly, I stay away from chain pizza places because we have too many good local joints. Jakes is the absolute best pizza ever. Since it's not by the stadium, many who visit GB don't go there.

Other great local places for pizza are GB Pizza Co and Gallaghers.

Iron Mike
04-20-2006, 06:46 AM

You'd better stop by Amico's in Bonduel, like I said!!!! :wink:

Little Whiskey
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Okay, i understand that the normal Franchise pizza is not as good as the local dives, but my point was that i think that Murphys is the best of the franchises. typically franchises don't do anything as well as the local establishments, but with a franchise you will most likely know what you are going to get, from place to place town to town.

In order to avoid another thread, how about we discuss crust types. what do you prefer. thin and crispy, hand tossed, Pan style, Deep Dish, Stuffed Pie, or some other.

I for one don't think you can make a pizza that has too thick of crust. i really like my pizza that has a good crust thik and doughy. they could almost put my ingrediants on a home made loaf of bread. If i wanted a carboard box for a crust i would just as soon by one from the supermarket.

GBRulz
04-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Okay, i understand that the normal Franchise pizza is not as good as the local dives, but my point was that i think that Murphys is the best of the franchises. typically franchises don't do anything as well as the local establishments, but with a franchise you will most likely know what you are going to get, from place to place town to town.

In order to avoid another thread, how about we discuss crust types. what do you prefer. thin and crispy, hand tossed, Pan style, Deep Dish, Stuffed Pie, or some other.

I for one don't think you can make a pizza that has too thick of crust. i really like my pizza that has a good crust thik and doughy. they could almost put my ingrediants on a home made loaf of bread. If i wanted a carboard box for a crust i would just as soon by one from the supermarket.

I'm just the opposite, Whiskey...I feel that if I wanted to eat a loaf of bread, I'll get breadsticks. I prefer thin crust :)

GBRulz
04-20-2006, 01:04 PM

I'm not familiar with where that is. It's been years since HWY 29 used to go through there, so I can't remember what is actually all in Bonduel. Other than horse carriages :wink:

Iron Mike
04-20-2006, 10:08 PM

I'm not familiar with where that is. It's been years since HWY 29 used to go through there, so I can't remember what is actually all in Bonduel. Other than horse carriages :wink:

Alright, then you'll have to go to Bilotti's in De Pere with GrnBay007 :razz:

Guiness
04-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm with GBM. I stay away from chains. Cookie cutter food is not for me. Even when I'm in a strange city, I'll look for the small local place as opposed to the chain.

I figure if they can survive with a chain down the street, they're doing something right!

Forced to choose, I guess I'd say Pizza Pizza.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Being one that has comsumed many of slice of pizza I can contend to many that have been mentioned here.\

Oregano's in Arizona is fantastic. I had a pie in tucson an it was delicious.

Steve's Pizza in River Falls was decent, I wasn't all that thrilled with it but their sauce was quite good.

I have of course eaten at all the one's mentioned in the poll, and I have to caution all against eating at some of these due to the fact that I have some evidence that these franchises like to pour household bleach in the sauce to preserve it. I think that is a bit disgusting.

Marty's pizza here in Waukesha is pretty damn good stuff. Good sausage

In Brookfield Square Mall, there was a pizza place called Luca's but it changed names to Villa Pizza, same stuff and it is the most authentic New york style pizza in the area.

GrnBay007
04-23-2006, 07:40 PM
I have of course eaten at all the one's mentioned in the poll, and I have to caution all against eating at some of these due to the fact that I have some evidence that these franchises like to pour household bleach in the sauce to preserve it. I think that is a bit disgusting.

Come clean (as in bleach clean :razz: ).....what do you know....give us the facts!!

MJZiggy
04-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I remember Villa Pizza!!!

Iron Mike
03-16-2008, 03:08 AM
We just got a Nick-n-Willy's franchise in Fondy. The pizza is pretty good.

I recommend the Magellan. 8-)

http://www.nicknwillys.com/index.php

However, if you were to drive to my city for pizza, I'd direct you to Bellafini's:

http://www.bellafinis.com/index.htm

Harlan Huckleby
03-16-2008, 11:57 AM
If you are ever near Logan Falls, Utah you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't try Marty's Pizza. Oh My God. The hand-tossed crust is crispy, flakey - not that dried-out crumbly crap. No skimping on the sauce, and all his cheeses are imported from Sicily. Marty's specialty that really makes the drive worthwhile are his fresh anchovies, raised in nearby Salt Lake. Mmmmm good, he puts whole little fishes on there.

Iron Mike
03-16-2008, 12:05 PM
.....Geez, I get no props for bumping a thread from two years ago???? :roll:

twoseven
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Lived in Onalaska (just outside of LaCrosse) for 5 years growing up, had a Happy Joes there. Great for birthdays, fired up the lights and a siren and your waitress with a big horn promptly announces to the entire place that you were a year older. If you like attention that was the place to go.

GrnBay007
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
promptly announces to the entire place that you were a year older.

Not the place you want to be when you are celebrating the anniversary of your 29th birthday. :P

I don't call them birthdays anymore.

Cheesehead Craig
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
For chain places, it's Papa John's for us.

I loved Gumby's Pizza in Madison back in the day. The sauce was fantastic

Best pizza though is my wife's homemade ones.

oregonpackfan
03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
For chains, I have to go with Papa Murphy's. I prefer the thin crust myself.

Papa Murphy's is great because it is inexpensive, you can add further seasonings if you wish, and you can eat it in the comfort of your own home.

For nostalgia, I always loved Drag's Pizza in Rice Lake. I liked eating it both at the restaurant and having it delivered at home.

At family reunions, we make it a tradition to head down to Drag's for a pizza. We have to reserve a large section of the restaurant because as many as 30 of us will show up! :)

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I worked at the first Papa Murphy's in Wisconsin. The first year the Family size was actually the Large, and you could get a single topping for 7.00. Now the Family size is like 10.00 bucks.

I wold rather eat a Murphy's slice than a Hut slice.

Back to the bleach, a good friend of mine worked at a Little Cesars, and he claims that he poured bleach in the sauce. He even claimed he went to the grocery store to get it at request of the manager.

digitaldean
03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Papa Murphy's by far is the best of those four.

Ultimate best pizza:
Gino's East - Ontario St. - Chicago: The Chi-towners don't do much right, but that pizza is the bomb!
Slab sausage, not chunks and actual slice of italian sausage is used as one layer. Have that with ice cold Goose Island, awesome!

MJZiggy
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
We've got a local chain called Armand's. It is really good Chicago style pan pizza. Somehow light and cheezy rather than gooey and greasy.

red
03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
i love papa murphies, i just discovered how great it was a few months ago. to me its the best

i also like pizza hut, and you can never go wrong with the little squeezers $5 deal

i really hate dominoes

i use to love papa johns in college, but there isn't one within 4 hours of me right now, so piss on them

hungry howie also has some cool flavored crusts and hits me just right at times

Freak Out
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Is there a good pizza from a franchise? Not one I have ever had.

Joemailman
03-16-2008, 08:22 PM

I agree. Saying Dominos or Papa Johns in the same sentence as pizza just isn't right.

GrnBay007
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
If anyone ever finds themselves in Platteville, WI...travel about 10-15 min. further and go to a tiny, tiny town called Kieler, WI. If you blink, you will miss it. Go to the Green House Tavern. They have wonderful homemade pizza and their burgers are great too.

Partial
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Steve's pizza is Platteville is dynamite too.

In the Milwaukee area, I am a big fan of Anne's Italian Restaurant pizza,
there is another great place called DiMarinies or something to that effect. Mama Mia's has really good pizza as well.

GBRulz
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM

That's true. It's like saying if you want good seafood, go to Bread, I mean, Red Lobster :roll:

digitaldean
03-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Agreed re: the franchise vs. the non-chains. That's why I mentioned Gino's in Chicago.

There's a local place in Appleton, WI and now in Neenah, WI called Stuc's.

Awesome thin, thick and deep pan pizza.

Though it doesn't top Gino's, it's darn close. Best pizza is a deep dish pizza called the Inferno. Spicy italian sausage, with jalapenos and crushed red pepper. Feel the burn! :lol: They make fantastic calzones, too.

Another Neenah, WI spot that's pretty good is called Cranky Pat's. They've gotten to the point that they're selling some of their pizzas frozen at local supermarkets.

Iron Mike
03-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Another Neenah, WI spot that's pretty good is called Cranky Pat's. They've gotten to the point that they're selling some of their pizzas frozen at local supermarkets.

Yeah, you can buy them at the local Pick 'N Save

http://www.crankypats.com/images/title_banner.jpg

Iron Mike
03-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Pizza Ranch just opened here.

http://www.pizzaranch.com/

Anybody ever eaten there???

GBRulz
03-17-2008, 08:25 AM

I didn't know they were in Neenah. I mean, I only thought of them as a frozen pizza maker, which I have to admit, I didn't care for. Best frozen pizza IMO - is Home Run Inn Pizza, based out of a Chicago chain.

MadtownPacker
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Back to the bleach, a good friend of mine worked at a Little Cesars, and he claims that he poured bleach in the sauce. He even claimed he went to the grocery store to get it at request of the manager.I have heard about this at the lil ceasar's out here too. There is a reason they do it I just cant remember what I heard.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Best of the chains? Who cares? It is like being the smartest kid in the special ed class.

Zool
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Best of the chains? Who cares? It is like being the smartest kid in the special ed class.

Did the 1st place kid in your class traumatize you or something?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Did the 1st place kid in your class traumatize you or something?

Yes, he wouldn't share is dominoes with me.

Partial
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Pizza Hut is pretty tasty. Why all the hating on the chains? I don't really think of chain pizza and sit-down restaurant pizza as the same type of food. They're both delicious in different ways. Good sit-down pizza costs around 20 bucks. Good chain pizza costs about 8-10. Two entirely separate types of food imo.

Partial
03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I went to Satchel's pizza today in Gainesville. It supposed is the "best pizza in the world". It was pretty good, but not the best.

Bill was 30 dollars for a pizza that the girlfriend and I together ate 1/4th of.

It was kind of a cool place. It was very artsy. There were paintings in every booth, a VW van outside that you can eat in, and very weird menus. They had Jack Johnson playing in the background as you ate.

In the back, it had an artsy thrift shop connected to it. It was pretty cool.

Pizza took about 45 minutes to arrive after we were sat immediately. It was wait staffed by committee versus one person, and the tips were split. I found the service to be absolutely excellent other than the long wait for the pizza to cook.

The crust was spectacular on the pizza, but there were almost too many toppings.

I give it a 9/10 and would recommend it if you're ever in Gainesville, FL.