View Full Version : Sticking with their boy Pop

Bretsky
09-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Standing by their man
Poppinga still a starter despite mistakes
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 28, 2006
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have not been shy when it comes to roster and position moves.

Packers linebacker Brady Poppinga has struggled in pass coverage, especially against tight ends like the Bears' Desmond Clark.

General manager Ted Thompson has dumped familiar players in favor of young player with potential.

The coaching staff has already made noticeable promotions and demotions with the offensive line.

This week, a veteran fullback, William Henderson, may be asked to pass the baton to an up and coming player. Defensive lineman Colin Cole was the starter in Week 1 and inactive in Week 3.

Such recent team history suggests the Packers are willing to bench anyone. And that says volumes about second-year linebacker Brady Poppinga.

In three games, Poppinga has dropped an interception, missed a tackle or two, given up a 57-yard reception and has at times looked overwhelmed in pass coverage, especially when matched against a tight end.

Yet he remains a starter.

The bottom line is that the Packers see so much potential in Poppinga, have such great admiration for how he returned from an injury, and respect how he has handled himself under pressure, that they're going to keep him as the starting strong-side linebacker rather than bench him in favor of five-year veteran Ben Taylor.

"I won't compare players," said Packers linebackers coach Winston Moss. "I can only say that Brady is a very physical player. One of his strong points is his ability. There's no question he has speed, and he can hit. He caused a big fumble out there today in practice running to the football. He has the ability to be a good tackler. Why he's on the field, (it's) probably for what he can bring.

"Ben Taylor is an experienced guy, been a starter in the league, very smart, athletic, he can probably execute things right now because he has seen more, he can adapt in a game to things he hasn't seen before. He has his strengths, Brady has his. Right now, we're going with Brady."

While Poppinga's mistakes may be noted, any significant criticism of Poppinga at this point is inappropriate.

"To say he's played some things poor, there's nothing wrong with that," said Moss. "To say he's a poor player, or he's struggling, is way too early. It's only been three games. He had almost no pre-season and no off-season. To evaluate him and say he's struggling or can't do something, that's premature."

Here's why. There are three critical facts that have directly affected Poppinga's development.

One, he is new to linebacker. He played defensive end his first three years at Brigham Young before moving his senior season to linebacker.

Two, even though he played 12 games with the Packers as a rookie last year, he was a situational player in all but one. He was mostly a special teams tackler, and though he was good at that, he didn't get much experience in a 3-4 defense.

Three, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament last December and spent more than seven rehabilitating. He missed all of the off-season workouts and minicamps with a new coaching staff.

Those facts must be considered in his evaluation, Moss said. Though Poppinga is an older, mature player at 27, he is just a second-year guy.

Moss doesn't believe Poppinga lacks anything at all except experience, and he's just not going to get that sitting behind Taylor and being eased into anything.

"He's got to do it somehow," said Moss

However, Moss doesn't agree with the theory then that the Packers are just going to take their lumps along the way with Poppinga and live with his on-the-job training.

"I don't see staying with Brady means assuming that he's going to go through growing pains," said Moss. "When he does get either out of position, or he is not where he is supposed to be technique wise, it has hurt not only him, but the defense. But I see those as isolated, separate incidents. I don't see him having a problem. The more he practices, he's going to get comfortable. I don't have a time frame, but when that happens, he's going to be fine."

Now would be good, according to Poppinga. Mr. Intensity, who named his newborn son Julius Maximus from the movie "Gladiator," has put in the extra time at the office. Moss sees Poppinga in early in the morning studying film. He sees him sometimes in the linebackers meeting room, studying some more. He does extra workouts. Poppinga doesn't have an effort or attitude issue, and it's not a confidence problem. The man just has four starts under his belt.

"Strong-side linebacker in this particular scheme is going to face certain challenges," said Poppinga. "I don't feel like I've struggled, no. I feel more as though it's been a high degree of difficulty and I need to make it to that next level in my execution. That's all it is. Struggled, no.

"I look at myself as a work in progress. I'm pretty solid and in time I will get better."

But he expects himself to perform better. That dropped pick against New Orleans was really a backbreaker.

"It was in my hands and I expect myself to make those plays," said Poppinga. "The funny thing about that is my younger brother (Kelly) plays at BYU. The day before, he had the same exact interception. When that play took place and I missed it, I immediately thought, 'If my brother can make that, how can I not make that!' "

For Taylor's part, he's taking the team-first approach, though he worked out at that spot for much of training camp.

"No. Of course you're disappointed, but whatever we can do to get the team winning," said Taylor. "Everything's good when you're winning. Things aren't so good when you're losing.

"I am special teams captain. I have to get special teams ready. And being a primary backup, I have to know all the (three linebacker) positions, so right now I don't have time to worry about that. That's a coach's decision. I'm going to do the best I can at my position. Brady's a good player. He has a few things he has to work on, I have a few things I have to work on. It's a good relationship, me and Brady, and really all the linebackers."

Poppinga said he played a lot of pass coverage in college because the Mountain West Conference was pass happy except for Air Force. Some games could feature 50 passes a team. So pass coverage is not unfamiliar to him.

Taylor did empathize with Poppinga in learning his way in pass coverage, however.

"For any linebacker, first you're built to stop the run," said Taylor. "From there you've got to play the pass and cover a skill position guy. For anybody, that's tough, I don't care who you are. That's one of those things you learn with time."

Bretsky
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
With all the love for this guy in here, I can't believe somebody hasn't started the POP Korn Club for Brady or something. I don't see it yet.

Heck, Partial started a Cole Train, but the engine seems to be shot. Where's the passion ?

Cheers,
B

Fritz
09-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Bretsky, you're not morphing into a bitter old guy already, are ya?

RashanGary
09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
I think Brady's gotten better each game.

I really hope we can see his improvement. For all the people here calling him a "try hard guy", it's funny how the coaches all emphasis his potential to run, hit, and play with explosion. Sounds like he's a raw guy with a lot of ability but I'll leave that to the professionals here who think they know everything instead of taking it from the coaches mouth.

pbmax
09-29-2006, 08:28 AM
I'll sign on for supporting starting the potential in a season where you may be looking at seven wins as "upside".

Only one thing troubles me:

Now would be good, according to Poppinga. Mr. Intensity, who named his newborn son Julius Maximus from the movie "Gladiator".
Julius seems fine. But Maximus, and from Gladiator? Why tie your son to that flick?

pbmax
09-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Google "Julius Maximus" and Poppinga's packers.com bio is the fifth entry, right after wikipedia.

Bretsky
09-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Bretsky, you're not morphing into a bitter old guy already, are ya?

Not at all Fritz; I'm luck cold/warm on TT and a while back I thought he smelled like a skunk.

But I have never thought Poppinga was a long term answer as a starter. Hope I'm proven wrong over time.

Bretsky
09-29-2006, 08:36 AM
I think Brady's gotten better each game.

I really hope we can see his improvement. For all the people here calling him a "try hard guy", it's funny how the coaches all emphasis his potential to run, hit, and play with explosion. Sounds like he's a raw guy with a lot of ability but I'll leave that to the professionals here who think they know everything instead of taking it from the coaches mouth.

Ah, there's no professionals in here; we're just wanna be gm's who are overly opinionated.

I sure would like to see what Hodge can do out there.

B

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I'll sign on for supporting starting the potential in a season where you may be looking at seven wins as "upside".

Only one thing troubles me:

Now would be good, according to Poppinga. Mr. Intensity, who named his newborn son Julius Maximus from the movie "Gladiator".
Julius seems fine. But Maximus, and from Gladiator? Why tie your son to that flick?

I just wanna know, did his wife have ANY say in this decision? I swear epidurals must mess with your brain somehow. I changed my baby's name in the delivery room and my husband looked at me and said "after what you just did, you can name that kid whatever you want."

prsnfoto
09-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Another feel good story from a stupid bitch who thinks we play a 3-4 Defense, POP sucks so far I hope he gets better.

pbmax
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree he does seem to have fewer blown coverages now thatn earlier. But its only a three game stretch.

My question is does he fit this defense? Weren't the OLBs in the Dolphins defense small speed guys who could cover and get to the edge to force the play back to the MLB?

He seems more suited to Wayne Simmons role for Shurmur (beat on the TE) or maybe OLB in a 3-4.

wist43
09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I've been tellin you guys that Popp played fairly well against the Lions - the tape doesn't lie. He had 3 negative plays.

1) the pass interference
2) lost contain on the very next play after the PI
3) simply got beat by Campbell, but he did get a decent jam, and he was in a decent trail position - Campbell and Kitna just made a play.

Other than those 3 plays, Poppinga dropped into his zones very well, he played the run very tough, and took good angles - cleaning up a couple of missed tackles by Barnett in the process.

Poppinga does not deserve to be benched. It is the coaching staffs responsibility to protect him in coverage, and maximize his strengths - they haven't done a very good job of that to date.

Using Manuel as an example - Manuel isn't very good in man coverage, would it make sense for the coaching staff to come up with game plans that called for Manuel to be in man coverage an inordinate amount of the time??? Of course not... Just as it doesn't make sense to design game plans that expose Poppinga in coverage.

The majority of problems we've seen are the fault of the coaching staff moreso than of Poppinga - or any of the other players on defense. As I've been saying, it is very difficult to evaluate anyone on defense b/c the defense as a whole isn't being coordinated very well.

mmmdk
09-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I think Pop, right now, is the 3rd best linebacker Packers have. It's not Poppingas fault that he had to cover Joe Horn - that's Sanders. Pop plays the run really well and he had a good game vs Lions.

cheese_man
09-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Hodge should start now popp sucks

cheese_man
09-29-2006, 09:56 AM

my bad hit it two times

RashanGary
09-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I know Bretsky...

I said at one point that Popp was very a high level athlete and people said he ran a 4.7 *which is true* so he isn't a good athlete.

DeMeco Ryans and Abdul Hodge run the same speed. The only difference is that Poppinga is bigger and stronger. I guess I always thought stronger guys who ran just as well as the smaller guys where better and more athltic but I must have missed the memo where it said weak is better than strong in football.

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2006, 10:19 AM
There are guys that run 4.7 that can cover, and there are guys that run 4.7 and can't cover. Covering a RB or TE isn't all about your 40 time. It's also about instincts and quickness. A 4.7 for one guy (quick) can be different than another guy (straight line speed).

Jennings, quit with the "professionals" crap. You give your opinion as much as any poster on this board. I respect that the coaches and GM believe Poppinga has more potential, and are being patient with him. However, they aren't always right either. See the fact that Thompson thought Adrian Klemm could be a starting OG, and the fact that Sherman thought Robert Ferguson could be a starting wideout. There are many more examples. I guess the big question is: has his coverage skills cost us any games yet. Not against Chicago or Detroit, but possibly against New Orleans. Maybe he improves, and by the end of the year he's starting to help us win games--not lose them. Then, this decision will have paid off.

RashanGary
09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah,

But I can admit when I'm wrong instead of insisting the coach doesn't knwo what he's talking about.

mmmdk
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM

Well, this isn't a family night game, we play the Eagles monday. Hodge will get his time but coaches believes he's not ready. Besides, Hodge is a MLB and both Barnett & Hawk are better there.

wist43
09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Hodge is, hands down, their best run defender... but, he, like Poppinga, is limited in coverage.

That said, I think Hodge is a natural football player, and if he had a coaching staff that designed game plans to protect him in coverage, he could be a starter...

The Packers coaching staff seems determined to fit square pegs into round holes, however, so some of these situational guys like Hodge and Poppinga are going to continue to be exposed.

swede
09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Hodge is, hands down, their best run defender... but, he, like Poppinga, is limited in coverage.

That said, I think Hodge is a natural football player, and if he had a coaching staff that designed game plans to protect him in coverage, he could be a starter...

The Packers coaching staff seems determined to fit square pegs into round holes, however, so some of these situational guys like Hodge and Poppinga are going to continue to be exposed.

I'm with you, Wist. I don't know if we're right, but I'm with you.

Poppy has the coaches' love, anyway, if not mine. And to Popinga that is what counts.

I think it's ridiculous that Noah Herron gets to play and Brady Popinga gets to play but Abdul Hodge doesn't get a fricking snap.

Fritz
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
"...are going to continue to be exposed."

Whenever I hear a line like that I think of Penthouse or Playboy.

I don't want to see Poppinga, or Hodge, or any of the Packers, exposed.

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 01:35 PM
But I do... :oops:

Tony Oday
09-29-2006, 03:41 PM
From everything they are saying its Taylor is a better player now but Pop could be good.

Screw it if this is what they are thinking extend Barnett, move him to SLB and start Hodge because Popp is terrible and will continue to be terrible because he is still two years away from the learning curve because all of his setbacks.

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Won't Barnett squawk about being moved unless they really overpay him to do it? I've seen his comments on it, and he says it's not his fondest desire.

Tony Oday
09-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Won't Barnett squawk about being moved unless they really overpay him to do it? I've seen his comments on it, and he says it's not his fondest desire.

he wants a contract extension and deserves one here because he has played what almost everydown since coming here? he should get one and a nice solid contract with nice guarentees and some attainable bonuses for production.

After that he wont care about moving to SLB and then we can jettison Pop to Texas for a 4th rounder or so ;)