View Full Version : should Hodge start?

cheese_man
09-29-2006, 10:50 AM
i Differently think he should start! :shock:

Fosco33
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
i Differently think he should start! :shock:

Welcome cheese_man!

This has been discussed many times here - it's a tough call right now.

Hodge's coverage skills are weak and he can really only play MLB. Hawk is set in his position. Poppinga isn't the answer but to move Barnett over and have Hodge in the middle could be... OR just bring Taylor in for Poppinga.

My guess... Barnett leaves after this season and Hodge plays next year. This year - he gets a few reps toward mid/late season and primarily plays STs 'til then.

SkinBasket
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I like those little sausages you can just put in the microwave.

oregonpackfan
09-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Since he is our reserve MLB, what would you do with Barnett?

Would you drink Wist's Kool-Aid, and cut Barnett from the team? If you believe Wist's diatribes against our current MLB, if Barnett were cut from the team, the Packers' defense would rise from the ashes and soar like an eagle.

OPF

Pack0514
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I like those little sausages you can just put in the microwave.

I just like the word SAUSAGES

cheese_man
09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
i think if you give Barnett a huge contact this season he might move to the out side.

wist43
09-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Barnett is our best athlete at LB, but that's exactly what he is - an athlete trying to play football.

Hodge on the other hand is a pure football player who his limited athletically.

As for Hodge starting??? you certainly couldn't start him and Poppinga at the same time (I have argued in the past that they could coexist on the field at the same time, but I now believe Poppinga is too limited in coverage, and having both of them on the field at the same time would create too many mismatches in coverage - that even a good DC would have a hard time overcoming, let alone Sanders).

For Hodge to start, you'd have to move Barnett outside and hope for two things: 1) that Barnett could hold the point outside, and not get blown out on running plays to his side; and, 2) that Sanders could effectively protect Hodge in coverage from the MLB position. Both of those would be dubious propositions IMO.

What we've got now might be the best we can hope for, given that, 1) Sanders is our DC; and, 2) too many of our LB's aren't complete players.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I predict Hodge is going to get traded. The only position he can play is MLB. I think a lot of teams would love to have him.

Barnett is too good in the middle, doesn't want to move to strong side. Hawk is cemented at weakside.

Fritz
09-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Can't start Hodge yet, not in this D.

Sometimes Barnett looks soft in run support. Can't we throw some money his way and move him to the outside? Then Hodge can start next year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Fritz, don't you want a large linebacker to play against the tight end on strong side? I'm not sure that is Barnett's position.

Problem is that both Barnett and Hawk are probably best suited to playing the Will.

It could be that Poppinga is a clear favorite for strong side by the end of this season.

Fritz
09-29-2006, 01:51 PM
"Fritz, don't you want a large linebacker to play against the tight end on strong side?"

Harlan, how did you know? I'm blushing.

Fosco33
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Fritz, don't you want a large linebacker to play against the tight end on strong side? I'm not sure that is Barnett's position.

Problem is that both Barnett and Hawk are probably best suited to playing the Will.

It could be that Poppinga is a clear favorite for strong side by the end of this season.

That's precisely why Barnett will jetison the Pack after this season. He's gave us some good years and unless TT throws a big contract his way and his club stays out of the headlines, he's on to bigger/better things.

The Shadow
09-29-2006, 04:04 PM
If the team makeup was different, I would install Hawk as my middle linebacker. I would want him in the middle of the action as much as possible.
BUT : in the Packers current situation, I would plan for 07 by leaving Hawk at Will, moving Barnett to Sam (backed up by Taylor), and letting Hodge & Poppinga battle it out for Mike.

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2006, 04:07 PM
No, Hodge should not start.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2006, 05:30 PM

That's precisely why Barnett will jetison the Pack after this season. He's gave us some good years and unless TT throws a big contract his way and his club stays out of the headlines, he's on to bigger/better things.

I expect Barnett will get a big contract from the Packers.

The Packers need a strong side linebacker, that's the hole. Hodge probably can't play it. Barnett might be less than ideal. It remains to be seen if Poppinga can hold-down the job for the next 3 years. I put my money on Poppinga sticking, but I might lose that bet.

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 07:43 AM
I predict Hodge is going to get traded.

Good God, this is the most preposterous idea I have ever seen you post. It is so ciminally neglegent, it sounds entirely unlike something TT wouldn't do.

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2006, 09:27 AM
"unlike wouldn't do"

Tarlam, you got me with those fancy double negatives. I think Hodge will be a good player, I just don't see how he fits into lineup with with Hawk & Barnett.