PDA

View Full Version : L. McCarren chat 9/28/06

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
http://cf.wisinfo.com/Packers_Chat/old_chats/q_a_092806.cfm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, Appleton,WI: Larry I noticed that Brett on Sunday really seemed to encourage his offensive team more than I can ever remember. I know like any other player he would like to out on top. We realize this a team probably a couple years away. Do you think he enjoys playing with the young guys? If this team only wins five games but shows improvement throughout the season,would he come a back the next couple years to see this team back to the playoffs?

LM: Brett enjoys playing and competing, period. Obviously the experience is all the more enjoyable when the offense is making plays and he's not running for his life. I don't think Brett even knows for sure about the future, but physically speaking, there's plenty of gas left in the tank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

david huszar , dayton ohio : with the eagle 2dary beat up can te packers say with the eagle tilll in least the second half or will the eagles blow us out like there othe 3 opp

LM: Your guess is as good as mine. I've watched the Eagles on tape, they're legit good, and the Packers will have to play real well to have a chance at winning.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: How is the new guy doing that got promoted from the practice squad to the 53 man squad?

LM: Miree is doing fine, seems to have some pop in his block, but it is just practice.

Steve Cartier, Ottawa, Canada: Even though Manuel did have a nice interception for a touchdown against the Lions, he has been struggling in run and pass support, was this a bad Ted Thompson pickup? Should we be looking for a replacement or is it too soon for that?

LM: Jury is still out. Manuel is not overly gifted physically so he's one of those guys who has to play the game just so...be in just the right position at just the right time etc. That takes knowing the scheme inside and out and he is new to it. And he missed a lot of time during camp with an injury. Stay tuned, but I'd say it's too early to yank the guy.

Malcolm, Hollywood,Ca: How does jennings look to you 'on the hoof'?

LM: The word that comes instantly to mind is smooth. Good player.

Cris, Green Bay: On a scale of 1-10. How is Scott Wells playing?

LM: I'd say a "7". He hasn't been flawless but he's been playing pretty good.

Jeff N., Apex, NC: Hi Larry, In your opinion why is the 2006 Packer defense giving up so many big plays so far this year? Is in the Packer Personal,the coaching or both?

LM: It seems to be a combination of physical and mental miscues. It's pro football and the other guys get paid too so you are going to get beat physically on occasion but the mental mistakes, like miscommunication / lining up wrong, that kind of stuff, is like giving it away. It's happened way too often and one of the reasons may be that half the secondary (Woodson and Manuel) is new. If that's the factor, things should get better with time.

Brian Genrich, Merrill Wi.: Do you foresee the running game/ offensive line opening holes, improving at all as the season goes on or is "this as good as it gets".

LM: I would expect continued progress and we've seen some already. Barring injuries, both up front and in the backfield, the improvement should continue.

Jim, Acworth, NH: Do you think the NFL is in danger of becoming the NBA which is nothing more than a platform to promote products? Seems the press is more based around personalities than the teams and the personalities in the pre-game shows. I know guys my age 35 and up are finding the NFL tough to take. At least your comments are football based. Keep up the good work.

LM: In general, I think the league office has to be careful about screwing up the greatest team sport ever invented, and one America has a natural affection for. Sometimes I think the NFL has too many people who have to justify their jobs so they start tinkering with something that doesn't need tinkering.

Jerry, Green Bay, WI: Larry, I see that the 49ers cut Corey Rodgers from their practice squad. With GB cutting White and moving Miree to the 53 man roster and shot Corey Rodgers coming back to GB to fill the final spot on the practice squad team? I thought he shows some nice flash, I mean enough to put him on the practice squad and send to NFLE. Thanks Larry!

LM: I may be wrong but I got the sense that the Packers just said bad pick and cut their losses when they let him go. I'd be surprised to see him back.

Powerball, Texas: Larry- If Matt Hasselback had been forced to be a starter in his second year, would he have already been washed out of the league. It seems to me he was able to get pretty good because he had no pressure except to get good over time. Would Tom Brady be what and where he is today had he been to drafted by someone like the Cardinals and forced into action instead of being able to absorb the game? Are NFL teams as much to blame as anyone in how QB's are developed. I watch Rogers now and I see a guy who has a frantic demeanor about his game, but clearly he has progressed from last year. If he were allowed another two years, I would think it would be extremely beneficial to him and the team in the long run. Do to many QB's just get into the wrong system or set of circumstances and wash out. I know it sounds hard to fathom, but I think if Brady had indeed been drafted by the Cardinals out of college and exposed to their futile system of play instead of where he ended up, we would hardly know his name. His talent would never have been able to be developed. How many really talented QB's come into the NFL and never get a chance to get good. It seems that if a QB is drafted, he gets about 50 reps in a training camp and determinations are then made on that. It seems to me that NFL teams ways of developing the QB are not as good as they could or should be.

LM: Teams' situations are what they are and some need their rookie QB's to play right away. Ideally, it's not the way to go and often times the guy gets thrown to the wolves too early and winds up with permanent physical, and more importantly, mental scars. It's a tremendously difficult position to play and throwing a guy in there before he's ready is a great way to shatter his confidence.

Michele, Green Bay, WI: Larry, do you think our horrible pass coverage is directly related to Schottenheimer? This group looks lost out there, sort of like the 2004 group, when he was also our secondary coach. surely there has to be better secondary coaches out there.

LM: If a unit is not playing up to its talent, then I think the position coach has to share the blame. I don't, however, believe in blaming it all on coaching. Players also have a responsibility to perform, and many perform quite well regardless of who's coaching them.

jim rouse, Algoma, wi: i was a big fan of b.j.sander , did any other team pick him up? thanks for taking my question jim

LM: Not that I'm aware of.

Recruiter-Adam, Appleton, WI: Hi Larry...thanks for your response. We've lost 2 games this year because our defense has STUNK! Part of the reason our run defense has been successful is because teams don't need to run against us...just pass it down-field 40 yards..much easier! My question for you (2-parter); What is the problem with our defensive back-field right now? I don't buy this "communication" business...these guys are professionals...thoughts? Also, do you see any potential up-grades (Specifically at the Safty Position) on the market that could be brought in by TT this year? Thank you sir!

LM: I've already talked about the problems in the secondary and no, I don't think the Packers will be able to bring in any help this season. Finding starting caliber DB's during the season is a stretch.

Henry Osterbrink, Stevens Point, WI: Larry, recently Mike McCarthy called out Al Harris on his inconsistent play the last couple of weeks. In response, Al said "If he feels that I'm the problem, then getting me out of here may be the way they need to go...I'm pretty sure there's somebody out there that would like me to play for them." What do you make of this? Do you think Al really wants out of Green Bay, or is this perhaps yet another way of hinting toward a new contract, or maybe just him being frustrated?

LM: Asked him about that today and he basically said it was a case of a reporter digging for dirt and he would have nothing to do with said reporter again.

Betty, Plover, Wi: Hi Larry, What must the Packers do to come out with a "W" on monday night? Do you feel the Packers have a chance to finally get the Eagle curse off of their back. It seems the media gives the Packers no chance at all. Hopefully Sanders is working on the secondary so "no" big plays are given up. I would love to put the 4th down and 26th to rest for good.

LM: The Packers will have to play well in all phases. Some of the stuff they got away with in Detroit won't cut it in Philly. The Eagles are a much better team than the Lions.

Gary , Orangeville, IL: What happened to Donald Driver last Sunday? Didn't seem like he was himself. Dropped a couple of passes and then Bret didn't go to him more than a couple of times after that. Was he ill or did the Lions take him out of the game with coverage?

LM: The game is played by human beings and none of us are at our best each and every day. It was probably a case of some of what the Lions did combined with Donald not being on top of his game that led to a quiet day.

Steve, Chicago, IL : Hi Larry. Thanks for doing these chats each week. I really enjoy them. Living down here I don't get to hear the talk up there, but I have not been reading much if anything about Scott Wells' difficulty getting off clean snaps from the shot gun. Every one seems to be a new adventure. Luckily the worst one last game bounced right back to Favre. How difficult is it to make that snap? Does Wells put in extra time on trying to improve that?

LM: I must be watching a different center. Overall, I think his gun snaps have been OK. One that looked bad Sunday was when he snapped it early to catch the Lions offsides. He's not perfect, but he's certainly good enough at the short snap. It's just a feel thing and he'll do it a number of times just in the course of a normal practice.

Lleyton Hewitt, Adelaide, Australia: G'Day mate, Have you gotten a chance to watch Morency much? I think that was a great trade, actually for both teams. Vernand is solid, good for this system and he has more explosion, as I saw on special teams last week. What's your take on this chap?

LM: I think he's a willing guy who's got some suddenness to his game. I can't take it much further than that at this point.

Amy, Green Bay, WI: Hello Larry, How is WIll Blackmon doing? He was my favorite pick out of the 2006 draft and I am wondering if he going to see the field anytime soon or if the injury to his foot is going to be a season long problem. Thank you Larry!

LM: A couple weeks ago it looked like he was close to coming back but then he had some sort of unspecified setback and he's been on the sideline in sweat clothes ever since.

Rod, Green Bay, WI: How is John Jolly doing? I hear he maybe seeing some time on the field monday night. Thanks Larry!

LM: Just today Scott Wells told me the kid's going to be a player and Wells works against him all the time.

Darren Clarke, Left Bunker: Hi Booster, Philly has lost Jevon Kearse and a DB or two already. Do you think the Packers OL will finally be able to establish a bit of a running game this week? If we have any chance of winning at Philly, we will need to have success running because that's not a place that Favre can win without it.

LM: That's a big if. Running the ball against a rather salty Eagle front will take more consistency than the O-line has shown to date. It's gotten better, but it's still not there.

Paul Casey, London: Mr McCarren, How is Bart Starr doing these days? I saw him at the celebration on opening day against the Bears, but didn't get to hear from him. What a great man, despite the disasterous stint as head coach here.

LM: Seems to be doing well. Hall of Fame Player, Hall of Fame Person, and a better coach than given credit for.

Sterling, Bristol: L Mac If you've studied the offensive linemen in Atlanta, and Denver over the years, can anybody who's agile and athletic do the job in this zone blocking scheme? I wonder why TT would invest such a high draft pick on a guy like Colledge. A guy who would be asked to change position, as well as a guy who was not regularily tested by top level competition playing there in that silly conference.

LM: I don't think you have to be Super Human to succeed in the zone blocking system but being somewhat athletic helps. The blockers have to react to movement and adjust on the run. It's not that big a deal but doing it consistently, can, apparently, take some time.

JT, NAPERVILLE, IL: It appears when Favre utilizes the shorter pass game, checkdowns, etc, the Packers offense can be very dangerous. Less pressure on the offensive line to sustain longer blocks. It felt like last Sunday's game I was watching a highlight film of Favre and Holmgren. Your take?

LM: Many times, it was like the old days of West Coast offense, take what the defense gives you and move the chains. Not screwing up is the key. That offense has evolved but getting back to its basics still works pretty well.

NICK, SCHERERVILLE, INDIANA: HI LARRY-I'M A FIRST TIME SUBMITTER! I WAS IN GREEN BAY FOR THE PACKER-BEAR GAME AND WATCHED OUR POROUS SECONDARY GET BURNED TIME AFTER TIME. MY QUESTION IS, HAS THERE BEEN ANY IMPROVEMENT IN THE SECONDARY FOR THE NEW ORLEANS AND DETROIT GAME ON ANY POSITIVE NOTE?

LM: No, giving up the big play has been a continuous problem. If it's not fixed, at least to some extent, by Monday, we could be in for a long night.

JT, NAPERVILLE, IL: Larry, could you evaluate the offensive line play thus far and do you feel Clifton has much time left with the Packers after this year?

LM: Cliton started slowly but has been playing better. His knees are hurting and that has affected his production. Still he's got a lot of talent and left tackles are a valued commodity.

Stacy Walker, Pataskala, Ohio: With the trouble in the secondary is it unusual for a team to possibly pick up a veteran player either by free agency or before the trade deadline? And if so do you see the team doing it?

LM: At this point, improvement will likely have to come from within. There's a reason the guys who are available are available.

Adam, Lancaster, Wisconsin: Larry, How would you grade the performance of Ahman Green thus far? Do you think he is playing more like the Ahman of old or instead an old Ahman? If you were Ted Thompson, would you re-sign Green to an extension or would you focus on acquiring a new starter in the 2007 draft?

LM: Green is running as hard and tough as ever. I don't know if he can still break the long one because I haven't seen it. He may still have that ability, but I won't know that until I see it. As for an extension, I'd wait and see how the season plays out. No rush to judgement.

Adam, Lancaster, Wisconsin: Larry, are the Packers actively phasing Henderson out of the gameplan? His injury aside, it looks as if the Packers are only keeping William around because of his supposed positive influence in the locker room.

LM: William has been a terrific Green Bay Packer but he is also an aging player, and at times it shows. It would not surprise me to see Miree get most of the snaps (possibly even start) on Monday. It would appear there's more pop in his block at this point.

Michael McClead, Yorkville, Illinois: Why did the Packers hire Kurt Schotenheimer? A couple of years ago, Schottenheimer was in charge of one of the worst Packers' secondaries in the long history of the franchise. A year after he left, the Packers were one of the top passing defenses in the league. This year, they're on pace to be one of the worst; once again, under the tutellage of Schottenheimer. Is there a trend here? If the Packers defense continues to struggle, are there any chances of either Bob Sanders or Kurt Schottenheimer being replaced this season? What is Jim Bates doing right now?

LM: I'd be very surprised if there's any midstream coaching changes. I might add that I'd also be surprised if there weren't a change or two after the season.

Brian, Atlanta: Hi Larry, Do you think the "maximum protection" scheme that the Packers ran against Detroit will work against Philly? I would assume they'd use it again this week.

LM: I can't think of a reason why not but you can't double team everybody, and it's still on the offensive line to get those guys blocked 1 on 1 if need be.

Larry, Ashland: Larry, Although it appears that Scott Wells has been doing a good job, my question is, why does he not snap the ball when the opponent jumps off-side? I understand that he has to make sure his players are set and no more than one player is in motion. But I think he missed at least 4 opportunities so far this year. Is it an inexperience thing? Because Frank Winters was the master at the early snap (taking nothing away from yourself).

LM: I've seen Wells react with an early snap on several occasions. Sometimes it's hard to do if you're totally focused on your own snap count or assignment. Generally speaking, as a player gains more experience, he gets better at reacting to those impromptu situations.

Brother Eldon, Ann Arbor, MI: Hi Rock, thanks for taking the time with us. Someone is spreading gossip to the effect of you having said that Ahman Green has lost a step or no longer has the burst he once did. Were you misquoted or taken out of context? Every time he fails to turn the corner or squeeze through a crack, we're all going wonder, I'm sure, if it's the injury/age/work load, but so far this year there's been so little daylight for him, it's hard to say for sure what state his legs are in. When do you think we'll know?

LM: My opinion on Green is what I wrote earlier. That he's running as hard and tough as ever, but that I don't know if he can still break the long one because I haven't seen it. That doesn't mean he can't, we just haven't seen it in a game yet. That's as deep as it goes. I've said that on the air and apparently someone misunderstood what I meant. The ability to break a long run is something you can't get a read on in practice, a RB breaks the LOS and sprints about 20 yards and comes back.

Pat Hancock, Dallas, WI: I'm hopeful that the rookies will continue to improve, but one thing I see lacking is intensity or passion from the team. Do you see anyone stepping forth as a leader and that can motivate the team to give their all and maybe a little more each and every down?

LM: I think the best thing any player on this team can do is his own job well. If everyone does that, the rest of it will take care of itself.

Peter, Appleton, WI: If all three are healthly which two of the rookie guards (Moll, Colledge, Spitz) gives the oline the best chance to be successful?

LM: Spitz is the best of the bunch.

PJ, Las Vegas: While playing for the Packers Desmond Howard gave them a short field to play on. We have not had that luxury since. What is the problem? Is it the coaching? Or are all the players we have had on special teams the past 6 years just that bad? Woodson is more like the self proclaimed "Mr Excitement" Walter Stanley. Not only that, he looks like a Dance-Dance-Dance participant. Not a NFL punt returner.

LM: I would have to disagree. I think the Packers are in pretty good shape with Robinson and Woodson returning right now.

Devynn, Dexter, MI: Hi Larry, What's your take on McCarthy's play calling so far vs. what we saw from Sherman/Rossley?

LM: I have no problems with it but I didn't with Sherman either. People crticize most calls because they didn't work. Now if the coach calls a play that's there, but it gets kicked in the ear because the left guard missed his block, is that a bad call or just poor execution of a good call. No question, I don't think any play caller gets through a game without a few "I wish I had that one back" type calls, but for the most part, the coach had a better reason for the call than we have for criticizing.

Swizz, Bristol (England): Daryn Colledge looks like he may well start at left guard against the eagles, with Jason Spitz moving to right guard, and Tony Moll being bumped to backup. Do you think this is a move based on merit, or other considerations ? Secondly, do you have Junius Coston down as a bust, yet ?

LM: Spitz did "team" drills for the first time today and whenever they deem him ready, Moll is likely the odd man out. (unless Colledge regresses) Spitz is further along than the other two.

Thanks to everyone. Take care. Larry McCarren

GrnBay007
09-29-2006, 11:21 AM
GBR, are you by any chance on the fire Schottenheimer wagon? :razz: :wink:

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 05:07 PM
LMAO - i was wondering if anyone would have caught that !!! :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Was that you?

Fosco33
09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
[url]

Paul Casey, London: Mr McCarren, How is Bart Starr doing these days? I saw him at the celebration on opening day against the Bears, but didn't get to hear from him. What a great man, despite the disasterous stint as head coach here.

LM: Seems to be doing well. Hall of Fame Player, Hall of Fame Person, and a better coach than given credit for.

Rod, Green Bay, WI: How is John Jolly doing? I hear he maybe seeing some time on the field monday night. Thanks Larry!

LM: Just today Scott Wells told me the kid's going to be a player and Wells works against him all the time.

I'm glad to see my dark horse is doing well.

Did you know Starr is a freemason as well?

Fosco33
09-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Was that you?

Hilarious....

Michele, Green Bay, WI: Larry, do you think our horrible pass coverage is directly related to Schottenheimer? This group looks lost out there, sort of like the 2004 group, when he was also our secondary coach. surely there has to be better secondary coaches out there.

LM: If a unit is not playing up to its talent, then I think the position coach has to share the blame. I don't, however, believe in blaming it all on coaching. Players also have a responsibility to perform, and many perform quite well regardless of who's coaching them.

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
uh huh, that was me!! i think what gave it away (well, besides the obvious name) is that I type too damn fast and often the shift key doesn't register when i need capitalization....which is visible in just about all of my posts! :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Awesome! I've gotten a few answers posted in a Christl chat and a couple answered by players on packers.com--when they had player chats.

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Awesome! I've gotten a few answers posted in a Christl chat and a couple answered by players on packers.com--when they had player chats.

that's cool! I've submitted questions to when the players did chats on packers.com too, but never got any of my questions answered. i wonder why they don't seem to have those chats anymore?

OT; Poppy is going to be at the mans mall tomorrow (Fleet Farm) Oh joy!

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Go and tell him to get his ass back to practice.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Poppy is going to be at the mans mall tomorrow (Fleet Farm)

Hah! I never heard that "man's mall" before. Guess they have all the clothes a real man needs. Or a real lesbian, for that matter.

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Poppy is going to be at the mans mall tomorrow (Fleet Farm)

Hah! I never heard that "man's mall" before. Guess they have all the clothes a real man needs. Or a real lesbian, for that matter.

LOL - who knew lesbians were into "Dickies"?

GrnBay007
09-30-2006, 04:37 PM
uh huh, that was me!! i think what gave it away (well, besides the obvious name) is that I type too damn fast and often the shift key doesn't register when i need capitalization....which is visible in just about all of my posts! :oops:

The one L gave it away for me. :razz: Well, that and I remember some of your views from back on jso.