PDA

View Full Version : If you had the opportunity

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
If you had a chance at a job with an NFL team but not the Packers, would you go after it?

Badgepack
09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Heck yeah, I'd prove my worth and then end up getting hired by the Pack.

KYPack
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Why doest thou ask, Z Woman?

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Just a question of possibility vs. loyalty.

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
How far should loyalty extend in regards to "the Packers" if the benefits to one's life are far outweighed with an opportunity in a different NFL Organization? I believe that should be a moot question as who would redirect one's loyalties and be right in so doing.

The Packers arn't religion... yet, DAM close in me. Taking that. I wouldn't allow anyone to force me in a particular direction in regards to Religion, Politics or Sexual identity or persuasion.

Those are all PRIVATE matters, just for me.

Besides, if a person is a Packer fan, should that exclude that person from considerations of one's BEST interests and welfare? Should Packer fans experience REAL and DAMAGING discrimmination.

NO !!

That's a definite ...NO !

I would/should be able to work for another NFL Organization and remain a Packer fan without somehow daming myself... " for my loyalty to the Packers" non withstanding to ever be challenged.That would be too ridiculous,MJZiggy.

If someone in the other Organization took me to task for being a Life Long Packer fan? I'd have to deal with that bridge come what may.

I wouldn't at all be concerned with that matter as I considered an opportunity, MJ.

I cross bridges come as they will. I am convinced beforehand, (that somehow ) I'll get to the other side, as the rivers enter my journey.

As a former Boy Scout and through my experience... I am prepared. :mrgreen:

ahaha
09-29-2006, 01:17 PM
How far should loyalty extend in regards to "the Packers" if the benefits to one's life are far outweighed with an opportunity in a different NFL Organization? I believe that should be a moot question as who would redirect one's loyalties and be right in so doing.

The Packers arn't religion... yet, DAM close in me. Taking that. I wouldn't allow anyone to force me in a particular direction in regards to Religion, Politicas or Sexual identity or persuasion. Those are all PRIVATE matters, just for me.

Besides if a person is a Packer fan should that exclude that person from considerations of one's BEST interests and welfare? Should Packer fans experience REAL and DAMAGING discrimmination.

NO !!

That's a definite ...NO !

I would/should be able to work for another NFL Organization and remain a Packer fan without somehow daming myself... " for my loyalty to the Packers" non withstanding to ever be challenged.That would be too ridiculous,MJZiggy.

If someone in the other Organization took me to task for being a Life Long Packer fan? I'd have to deal with that bridge come what may.

I wouldn't at all be concerned with that matter as I considered an opportunity, MJ.

I cross bridges come as they will. I am convinced beforehand, (that somehow ) I'll get to the other side, as the rivers enter my journey.

As a former Boy Scout and through my experience... I am prepared. :mrgreen:

Well put Woodbuck!

I think this poll needs more variables. Maybe you already have a position with the Packers, but the Bears offer a little more money for you to do the same job.

Fritz
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, of course. I don't think there's ever been a young exec who turned down a job offer because it wasn't with the team he or she loved.

There's a difference between being a fan and having a career.

Even Elway turned down the team that drafted him not because there was a specific team he'd always been a fan of, but because he just didn't want to go to that particular crappy team.

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Interesting take, guys, do you aggressively seek out a position with another team to be working in a football environment (except the Bears, no one needs a job that badly)? Anybody living away from Wis. in another football city ever tried it?

BallHawk
09-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Who's the single 1 who put "never.?"

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Look at our beloved Brewers. Mark Attanasio is from NY and was a Yankee fan, but he bought and runs the Brewers and is putting his all into the team. You certainly can work for one team and be a fan of another, to a certain extent.

MJZiggy
09-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Do you think he might want the O's as well? They need an owner with a checkbook.

GBRulz
09-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Interesting take, guys, do you aggressively seek out a position with another team to be working in a football environment (except the Bears, no one needs a job that badly)? Anybody living away from Wis. in another football city ever tried it?

Actually I'd take a job with the Bears. Chicago is a great city.

It doesn't mean I have to cheer the team that I work for!

Joemailman
09-29-2006, 05:25 PM

I would take a job with the Bears or Vikings and then do my best to sabotage the whole operation. Convince the owner that Sherman should be running their draft. Or that Slowik should be their DC. Or that B.J. Sander is just entering the prime of his career.

mmmdk
09-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Actually, the Lions called me monday. Millen said there might be an opening, be it horn-guy or HC, I could pretty much pick'n'choose. Should I go for it? :roll: :cool:

CyclonePackFan
09-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not a huge Badger fan, but one of the reasons I chose Iowa State was because they wouldn't play Wisconsin, unlike my other two choices, Purdue and Minnesota (that, and I hate Minnesota and love the Aer E program here).

That being said, my affection for Green Bay is exponentially higher than my affection for UW. I'd rather try out for Green Bay every year and not make it than make it with another team.

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I would take a job with the Bears or Vikings and then do my best to sabotage the whole operation. Convince the owner that Sherman should be running their draft. Or that Slowik should be their DC. Or that B.J. Sander is just entering the prime of his career.

Oh no...not another ala Ted Thompson...did I write that?

Ooops.

Ahhh what the "H" let errrrr fly.

I LOVE TED THOMPSON..I luv Ted ... I LOVE Teddy ...I Luv "Teddy" Ted Thompson... HE's The MAN...Loving Ted... LOVING TED... ALOT...

ALL THE WAY... WITH TED ! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Actually, the Lions called me monday. Millen said there might be an opening, be it horn-guy or HC, I could pretty much pick'n'choose. Should I go for it? :roll: :cool:

but...but but...Your... " a Packer fan ".

Not " Skull and Bones ". :mrgreen:

Kiwon
09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
MJZ, send this to TT. I'm curious about his answer.

the_idle_threat
09-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Being a Packer fan doesn't pay the bills ... :smile:

RashanGary
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
This is the most one sided poll I've seen since I asked if people wanted OT topics in the Packerroom :)

woodbuck27
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Being a Packer fan doesn't pay the bills ... :smile:

SLAM DUNK ! :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2006, 10:51 PM
This is the most one sided poll I've seen since I asked if people wanted OT topics in the Packerroom :)

Nice

Homer Jay
09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I would guess that if you asked the 32 GMs in the NFL what team they followed as a youth very few of them would name their current teams. I'd guess the same would be true of the coaches and most other team officials and players.

If I was offered a job I would take it, do my very best and and hope that some day I would get a chance to workfor the Pack.

oregonpackfan
09-30-2006, 01:07 AM
If I have kids(which I have two) I will take a job to help financially support them even if it is for another organization. Family needs has to come first.

OPF

superfan
09-30-2006, 01:51 AM
I noticed recently that the Vikings had a job opening in my field and I was faced with this choice, and decided that there was no way I could work for them. As much as I love football and think it would be fantastic to work for an NFL franchise, I simply couldn't live with myself if I was an employee of the Minnesota Vikings.

Unless I was working the sabotage angle, of course.

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 08:45 AM
But what if that job weren't for the Vikings but someone out of division, say, the 49ers or someone? If that were the local team would you have gone after it?

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I would love to be in a football related role in the NFL. Ijust would be sooo terrible at it, I'd get fired after about a week.

As such, I don't see me ever being the top dog in a ball club. That sorta rules me out of taking an NFL type job, because ultimately, I like working in senior management.

But id´f someone were so delusional as to offer me a GM's job at, say, Detroit, I would not blink.

I love the Pack, but, if I were GM, my love would only be there if were weren't playing them.

I would certainly do everything as a GM to finish top of the NFC North every year.

I bet M3's dream job is now owned by Bill Cowher.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Working in the nfl would be a dream, no matter what team it is.

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I would love to be in a football related role in the NFL. Ijust would be sooo terrible at it, I'd get fired after about a week.

As such, I don't see me ever being the top dog in a ball club. That sorta rules me out of taking an NFL type job, because ultimately, I like working in senior management.

But id´f someone were so delusional as to offer me a GM's job at, say, Detroit, I would not blink.

I love the Pack, but, if I were GM, my love would only be there if were weren't playing them.

I would certainly do everything as a GM to finish top of the NFC North every year.

I was not limiting it to "football" jobs. There are other aspects of the team. They have IT departments and PR departments and George Koonce's job and player development jobs and finance jobs and all that. If the Bucs offered you a Director of Finance position...

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 01:22 PM

I was not limiting it to "football" jobs. There are other aspects of the team. They have IT departments and PR departments and George Koonce's job and player development jobs and finance jobs and all that. If the Bucs offered you a Director of Finance position...

I'd probably take any job in the NFL and move up if possible. Doing what you love is ideal. I could see myself retiring by 45 and making a run at something - gotta have the dream and the drive.

GrnBay007
09-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Just a question of possibility vs. loyalty.

Take care of/support your family first. Loyalty to your "entertainment" purposes football team 2nd.

mngolf19
09-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I noticed recently that the Vikings had a job opening in my field and I was faced with this choice, and decided that there was no way I could work for them. As much as I love football and think it would be fantastic to work for an NFL franchise, I simply couldn't live with myself if I was an employee of the Minnesota Vikings.

Your kidding, right? Why in the world would you pass up that opp? I am a huge Viking fan, but if the Packers offered me a fair position and pay, duh. Doesn't mean I don't still pull for the Vikes in my mind. It's just a job in a world that I am a big fan of.

GrnBay007
09-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Your kidding, right? Why in the world would you pass up that opp? I am a huge Viking fan, but if the Packers offered me a fair position and pay, duh. Doesn't mean I don't still pull for the Vikes in my mind. It's just a job in a world that I am a big fan of.

....and plus, we all know you are on the verge of converting anyway mngolf! :razz:

Tarlam!
10-01-2006, 02:28 AM
If the Bucs offered you a Director of Finance position...

My point is, unless I had a chance to be CEO, I would not work in any industry. That rules NFL out for me, because one seems to need a football background...

mngolf19
10-01-2006, 08:35 AM
....and plus, we all know you are on the verge of converting anyway mngolf! :razz:

You know I would listen to anything you had to say 007. :cool:

Terry
10-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Probably not, really. Except the pay might be pretty good. And it's always nice to work in something that has so much overall appeal, but one quickly learns it's all just hard work at the end of the day and the glamour value (for oneself) is virtually negligible in comparison. It's like being a movie star - sounds like a dream, but it's incredibly hard work and involves working around a lot of temperment.

If you're lucky enough to be doing something you like well enough at present or which at least gives you some degree of flexibility or freedom, then you're already doing better than 99% of the working population, glamour jobs and big money jobs included.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I guess as long as it's not the raiders, the cowboys, the bears or the purples I would do it.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Then when that team played the Pack I would make sure some laxative or something got into their gatorade. :mrgreen:

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Probably not, really. Except the pay might be pretty good. And it's always nice to work in something that has so much overall appeal, but one quickly learns it's all just hard work at the end of the day and the glamour value (for oneself) is virtually negligible in comparison. It's like being a movie star - sounds like a dream, but it's incredibly hard work and involves working around a lot of temperment.

If you're lucky enough to be doing something you like well enough at present or which at least gives you some degree of flexibility or freedom, then you're already doing better than 99% of the working population, glamour jobs and big money jobs included.

I guess your right if your talking about being a low level assistant. But if I got offered a defensive or offensive coordinator job I wouldn’t mind the hard work because every Sunday you would get rewarded. Could you imagine running a NFL defense or offense, that would be unbelievable.

superfan
10-02-2006, 01:44 AM
But what if that job weren't for the Vikings but someone out of division, say, the 49ers or someone? If that were the local team would you have gone after it?

Absolutely, if everything else about the job was a good fit also (pay, commute, etc.).

superfan
10-02-2006, 01:54 AM

I should clarify it was never an actual job offer -- just saw a posting to work for the Vikes in my field. Didn't pursue it for a number of reasons, but Packer loyalty was one of them. I have a pretty good job and wasn't seriously looking, just browsing listings, so it's not like I chose unemployment over working for the Vikes.

MNGolf, in your example, would you then become a Packer fan, or would you continue to be a vocal Viking fan, post Viking paraphernelia in the cube, etc.? I believe you have to be loyal to your company, and could picture no good outcome in my mind by taking a job with the Viking organization.

Personal foul on superfan -- too many uses of the words "Vikes" and "Vikings" in one post...

superfan
10-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Except the pay might be pretty good.

I would argue that the pay probably wouldn't be very good, except for the top dogs. MM got his start in coaching as an unpaid volunteer. And for regular office type jobs for an NFL franchise, I would expect the pay to be less than one could get at a different company. Due to the appeal of working for an NFL franchise, the teams probably get flooded with hundreds of resumes for bookeepers, account execs, etc. The old supply and demand rule suggests that the positions don't pay that well, but the fringe benefits would more than make up for it in many cases.

Terry
10-02-2006, 03:50 AM
Except the pay might be pretty good.

I would argue that the pay probably wouldn't be very good, except for the top dogs. MM got his start in coaching as an unpaid volunteer. And for regular office type jobs for an NFL franchise, I would expect the pay to be less than one could get at a different company. Due to the appeal of working for an NFL franchise, the teams probably get flooded with hundreds of resumes for bookeepers, account execs, etc. The old supply and demand rule suggests that the positions don't pay that well, but the fringe benefits would more than make up for it in many cases.

That's a good point, superfan. It actually crossed my mind after I posted, because I hadn't been thinking of the less visible jobs. I let it stand, but you're absolutely right. You get the same thing in any glamour profession, like the movies. Good point.

For me, unless I really, really liked the job itself, I wouldn't personally feel like it was a dream come true. If anything, being around all that glamour would be a daily reminder that oneself has NOT achieved it.

mngolf19
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM

I should clarify it was never an actual job offer -- just saw a posting to work for the Vikes in my field. Didn't pursue it for a number of reasons, but Packer loyalty was one of them. I have a pretty good job and wasn't seriously looking, just browsing listings, so it's not like I chose unemployment over working for the Vikes.

MNGolf, in your example, would you then become a Packer fan, or would you continue to be a vocal Viking fan, post Viking paraphernelia in the cube, etc.? I believe you have to be loyal to your company, and could picture no good outcome in my mind by taking a job with the Viking organization.

Personal foul on superfan -- too many uses of the words "Vikes" and "Vikings" in one post...

Superfan, I wouldn't be obvious or vocal amongst the "company" people. I would keep it to my personal life. My support for the Vikes will never go away, and yet I would have to do my best while at work. Probably would just avoid getting into too many discussions or celebrations.

superfan
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Superfan, I wouldn't be obvious or vocal amongst the "company" people. I would keep it to my personal life. My support for the Vikes will never go away, and yet I would have to do my best while at work. Probably would just avoid getting into too many discussions or celebrations.

I agree with you completely, mngolf19. This would be my approach as well.

mngolf19
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM

I agree with you completely, mngolf19. This would be my approach as well.

Your avatar is one of my fav movie characters. Good choice.

superfan
10-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Your avatar is one of my fav movie characters. Good choice.

What are you talking about? It's a photo of me straight out of the family album. :cool: