PDA

View Full Version : Is Favre 'the Bomb' QB?

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Ok... a few of us hijacked a great thread pointing out some early styles that of M3 that have many Packer fans excited.

If the mods would like to move the relevant posts over here, it'd be appreciated but not entirely necessary.

The jist of this thread....

We're comparing Favre's pass attempts greater than 41+ yards (Bombs) over time vs. some of his contemporaries - understanding that many things are undefined (game situations, drops, etc....)

With Favre's long career, many of these things get equaled out (i.e, a drop here or there vs. a great catch, etc.) Unfortunately, Brett has been playing so long some of these weren't available on ESPN - so here's the breakout since '94.

Notable plays, games, and discussion are encouraged for stat geeks and everyone alike.

http://img4.picsplace.to/img4/26/Favre.JPG (http://picsplace.to/)

LEWCWA
09-30-2006, 02:12 AM
Now explain this dizzing array of numbers, what is sum of rat?

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 06:59 AM
It's just simply his QB rating. Look at the columns for years and the left hand side row for different sections. The other numbers should be self explanatory (attempts, completions, yards, TDs, INTs, etc).

I highlighted the numbers that matter for this discussoin as well....

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Nice stats Fosco, just wish it were a little smaller so as not to disrupt the page.

Is there an overall QB rating for the years? That would be what I wuld benchmark against....

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 07:12 AM
What the stats don't say, though, is what length of pass he attempted and how he fared....

That would be a stunning set of stats to have, but who counts that shit?

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 10:47 AM
What the stats don't say, though, is what length of pass he attempted and how he fared....

That would be a stunning set of stats to have, but who counts that shit?

That is what this was intended to be (Example: Favre tosses a 50 yard bomb - it'd be recorded in pass attempt 41+). I'll cleanup the Pic to reduce the page distruption - I've got my screen very small so sometimes I don't notice shit like that. And I've become pretty good w/ QB ratings as ESPN's 'turnoff' after a few years - I had to calculate most of this stuff.

It'll be a little while til I get around to pulling other QBs as their's a Badger game on in 15 minutes and I've got company for a few days....

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I read it differently. The clue I used came from "throw behind the line".

That to me means these stats are from where he was on the field when he made the throw....Maybe I'm wrong.

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I read it differently. The clue I used came from "throw behind the line".

That to me means these stats are from where he was on the field when he made the throw....Maybe I'm wrong.

No, 'throw behind the line' means screens or quick hitches, etc... these are literally how long the throw and the results.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2006, 11:22 AM
How does this compare to his contemporaries--like Bledsoe, Brunell, McNair, and Johnson? Those are the only guys still playing that started about the same time Brett did.

Obviously, a deep ball is going to be less successful than other throws. I noted in the other thread that Brad was 4 for 27 the last two years on throws 31+ yards. I wonder how his and the others career numbers compare.

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 11:24 AM
EXCELLENT! Glad I read it wrong! These are GREAT stats, then!!

Thanks Fosco!

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 11:25 AM
How does this compare to his contemporaries--like Bledsoe, Brunell, McNair, and Johnson? Those are the only guys still playing that started about the same time Brett did.

Obviously, a deep ball is going to be less successful than other throws. I noted in the other thread that Brad was 4 for 27 the last two years on throws 31+ yards. I wonder how his and the others career numbers compare.

I'll get those guys later on today or sometime soon. Each takes about 45 minutes to compile...

So, I checked each of these guys out on every sports website I could find and for whatever reason - ESPN doesn't have situational stats for Bledsoe past last year and nothing at all for Brunell or Johnson. This is now an effort in futility.