PDA

View Full Version : Favre happy again... A couple more years?

packers11
09-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Brett Favre is happy again, he sees the team getting better.... I think Favre might be staying with us a little longer than just this year..... IM ALL FOR IT, hes still one of the best!!!! :mrgreen:

"I enjoyed the heck out of the game," said Favre, who joined Dan Marino as the only players with 400 career touchdown passes. "There's nothing like winning, but there's nothing like playing -- period. I hate to think if I was home and didn't come back this year, what would I be thinking?"

Tarlam!
09-30-2006, 10:23 AM
I am so surprized by the fact that all is quiet on the A-Rod front.

He'll be in his 3rd year next year. I think there is a legitimate chance, too, that Brett comes back. It's hard to predict after a single win.

But it is definitely an option. So, if I am a sleaebucket reporter, I am all over A-Rod trying to mix some shit up, like that Al' Harris reporter....

Bretsky
09-30-2006, 10:27 AM

He'll be in his 3rd year next year. I think there is a legitimate chance, too, that Brett comes back. It's hard to predict after a single win.

But it is definitely an option. So, if I am a sleaebucket reporter, I am all over A-Rod trying to mix some shit up, like that Al' Harris reporter....

I'd be fine watching Favre plays five more years. The OL would have to get a lot stronger, but that rocket arm will still be good enough.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-30-2006, 10:30 AM

I'd be fine watching Favre plays five more years. The OL would have to get a lot stronger, but that rocket arm will still be good enough.

me to

KYPack
09-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Next year is basically the last year of his contract. He has always intimated to his pals that players should sign their contracts, honor 'em, shut up, & play 'em out.

I think that's what the gunslinger will do, play next year, then ride off into the sunset on a huge John Deere tractor with his shotguns & golf clubs, & a fishing pole for a Radio antennae.

(Holy Shit, I spelled "antennae" right, somebody buy me a beer!)

packers11
09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Next year is basically the last year of his contract. He has always intimated to his pals that players should sign their contracts, honor 'em, shut up, & play 'em out.

I think that's what the gunslinger will do, play next year, then ride off into the sunset on a huge John Deere tractor with his shotguns & golf clubs, & a fishing pole for a Radio antennae.

(Holy Shit, I spelled "antennae" right, somebody buy me a beer!)

his contract ends in 2010 in im correct.... Thats 3/4 more years, you got to go back to math class :mrgreen:

packers11
09-30-2006, 12:02 PM
"Contract Details
Favre signed a 10-year contract with the Packers in March of 2001. The deal is worth $100 million, according to the Green Bay Press Gazette."

Found that on some website.. So actually it would be 2011.... But I doubt hell play for that long....

Terry
09-30-2006, 12:10 PM
"Contract Details
Favre signed a 10-year contract with the Packers in March of 2001. The deal is worth $100 million, according to the Green Bay Press Gazette."

Found that on some website.. So actually it would be 2011.... But I doubt hell play for that long....

A contract signed in March of 2001 for ten years would cover the ten seasons from 2001 to and including 2010.

Hey, reminds me of two Arthur C. Clarke novels (and movies).

oregonpackfan
09-30-2006, 12:12 PM
[quote="packers11"]Brett Favre is happy again, he sees the team getting better.... I think Favre might be staying with us a little longer than just this year..... IM ALL FOR IT, hes still one of the best!!!! :mrgreen:

The question is "Will be Favre be happy once he starts taking a beating against teams like the Eagles?" They pose a huge threat to the Packers in general, and Brett Favre, in particular.

If he is hurried, hit, and sacked numerous times against Philly is he still going to have that euphoia come Tuesday morning?

I hope I am wrong on this statement about Favre's condition but a big win against a hapless team like Detroit is not total season reality.

OPF

Packers4Ever
09-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Brett Favre is happy again, he sees the team getting better.... I think Favre might be staying with us a little longer than just this year..... IM ALL FOR IT, hes still one of the best!!!! :mrgreen:

"I enjoyed the heck out of the game," said Favre, who joined Dan Marino as the only players with 400 career touchdown passes. "There's nothing like winning, but there's nothing like playing -- period. I hate to think if I was home and didn't come back this year, what would I be thinking?"

Somehow I missed that quote from Brett and it was good to hear. 'Specially that last line !!!
Thanks, packers11 :D

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 12:27 PM
OPF, he walked in knowing there would be ups and downs. I think last week he might have just said 'screw it' and decided to have a good time and that worked out well for him and recharged the batteries a little bit. Maybe he comes out with the same attitude on Monday.

Packers4Ever
09-30-2006, 12:27 PM
[quote="oregonpackfan"][quote="packers11"]Brett Favre is happy again, he sees the team getting better.... I think Favre might be staying with us a little longer than just this year..... IM ALL FOR IT, hes still one of the best!!!! :mrgreen:

The question is "Will be Favre be happy once he starts taking a beating against teams like the Eagles?" They pose a huge threat to the Packers in general, and Brett Favre, in particular.

If he is hurried, hit, and sacked numerous times against Philly is he still going to have that euphoia come Tuesday morning?

I hope I am wrong on this statement about Favre's condition but a big win against a hapless team like Detroit is not total season reality.

OPF, he won't be happy but it's what he's expecting so he'll be ready. Just hope his OL is ready too, how many of them know what playing the Eagles is like? Hope Coach has prepared them well enough. Maybe our secondary will be outstanding !! :roll:

Patler
09-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Some random thoughts about Favre's attitude this year and last year:

He did not appear to have fun last year. He seems to be more so this year.

Does the new staff's willingness to let him audible, something that Sherman did NOT allow, give him more of a sense of responsibility and satisfaction?

Last year was a shock, he had not been on a bad Packer team before. It took a while to adapt. His expectations this year were more realistic.

Does he maybe see potential in the young lineman, and Jennings, giving him more of a sense of hopefulness than last year? Does he see 2006 as a team that WILL get better, something he didn't see in 2005?

Whether he plays for records or not, achieving them HAS to be a thrill. He is fast approaching many, and it has to provide some self-satisfaction.

With a whole year of losing, maybe he realizes how much he still enjoys the competition, regardless of the result. He knows once it's over, it is over. How do you replace it?

Maybe he actually LIKES the "new" offense and the staff. McCarthy does seem to be more of an upbeat sort of guy than Sherman was. It might be more comfortable for the kid still living in Brett Favre's body!

GrnBay007
09-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Some random thoughts about Favre's attitude this year and last year:

Last year was a shock, he had not been on a bad Packer team before. It took a while to adapt. His expectations this year were more realistic.

I agree with your points, but this one stood out to me. He's so competitive I think as long as he sees hope down the road he will strive to achieve another winning team before he's done. It's a challenge. Has anyone known him to walk away from a challenge....personal or for the team??
Nope!! :D

Homer Jay
09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm not making excuses for last year, but look at the facts. Think about what occurred in his life in the months leading up to this off season. His father dies, his brother in law dies, his wife is diagnosed with cancer and Katrina destroys his families home. Injuries and bad decisions and play create the first losing season in his career.

I'm not saying we should feel sorry for him, but, if any of us were in the same situation, and had the option of saying "The hell with it, I've had enough. I'm just gonna retire", wouldn't have taken the time to make sure we made the correct decision?

Now everywhere he goes he faces the same questions. Are you sure yo want the ball? What if you lose again? Do you want to be traded? No matter how many times he says he understands what he is getting into, and that he just loves to play football for the Green Bay Packers, the "experts" continue to doubt him. Personally, I believe him. As he said back in 1996 " Go ahead and bet against me." I think he'd like to shove the doubts up the the "experts"..........

Think about it. One of the best ever (he will always be # 1 in my book) loves to play football for the Green Bay Packers! My guess is if he sees a light at the end of the tunnel and stays healthy, we will see # 4 for at least 1 more year.

Joemailman
09-30-2006, 06:12 PM
If things go well, I see Brett playing 2 more years. Achieve respectability this year, become a playoff contender next year, and be a Super Bowl contender in 2008. A bit optimistic perhaps, but not really unrealistic in my opinion (Wist may disagree). :D

Kiwon
09-30-2006, 07:19 PM
We all know Brett and we all know that Brett really does not know himself what he will do (despite the fact he said he would only play one more year if he came back during the offseason).

They won last week and he played very well. He's having fun now, but what about come December? Don't forget this team is 0-2 at home. There were boos and calls for Rodgers to play. The first step for this team is to win at home and get back their home field advantage.

Also, his decision is not his alone. His family situation will come into play.

Above all, Brett wanted to go out on top before his skills were diminished.

What's this add up to? - a complicated situation like it is every year. Too many factors involved to even predict when his retirement will happen.

I hope he breaks Blanda's record as the oldest starting QB ever, but who can ever predict what ole #4 from Southern Miss will do?

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
I agree with most of what you wrote, Kiwon. It's just that last year he was troubled by the fact that it would be his daughter's last year home. Next year she will be gone so that issue will sort of self-resolve. Also, this year the family vote was unanimous. I expect it will be again next year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Also, this year the family vote was unanimous. I expect it will be again next year.

How funny is that? Every year the vote is unanimous. I think the ladies in his life just want the old ass occupied for 5 months.
:D

Partial
09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
If things go well, I see Brett playing 2 more years. Achieve respectability this year, become a playoff contender next year, and be a Super Bowl contender in 2008. A bit optimistic perhaps, but not really unrealistic in my opinion (Wist may disagree). :D

What it comes down to is they really need to hit on their first round pick this year and next year. Meaning AJ needs to step it up another notch and be a stud and so does the player they add next year. I'm warming up to the idea of drafting a DE.

the_idle_threat
09-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I've thought for some time that---barring some unusual setback---he would play 2006 and 2007. I just don't think he's ready to hang 'em up. He's got a young team around him, and if they show improvement this year and next, he'll be challenged to lead them to the Super Bowl despite the naysayers who say he is too old and washed up. Favre always said he didn't like being told he could not do something.