PDA

View Full Version : Miree to start at FB; Morency may start at RB

Fosco33
09-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Who are these guys? No one in WI could have imagined that after week three, these guys could be our starting backs....

Notebook: Miree To Start At FB; Morency Ready If Needed For Green
by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/30/2006

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/09/30/2/

In less than a week, Brandon Miree has risen from the practice squad to starting at fullback for the Green Bay Packers.

Miree, promoted to the 53-man roster from the practice squad this past Tuesday, continued his rapid ascension by being named the starting fullback for Monday night's game by Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Saturday.

Miree will replace veteran William Henderson, who hasn't fully recovered from having arthroscopic knee surgery in late August and has admitted his play hasn't been up to the high standard he has set during his 12 years in Green Bay.

The Packers picked up Miree from the Denver Broncos after the final roster reduction at the end of training camp. Originally a seventh-round draft choice by the Broncos in 2004, Miree spent two seasons (one on injured reserve, the other on the practice squad) in Denver's zone-blocking system, and the Packers feel his experience as a lead blocker in that system could help jump-start their sluggish ground game.

"He has a history in it, so that's probably his strength as a fullback," McCarthy said. "He's had a very good week of work."

Miree, a feature back for two seasons at the University of Pittsburgh before being drafted by the Broncos, also has shown solid pass-catching skills out of the backfield, and he could contribute on special teams as well on Monday night.

Meanwhile Henderson took the demotion as a professional, vowing to get himself back into shape to continue competing for his spot.

"I'm still recovering, still trying to get myself right," Henderson said. "I have to take it as a challenge in some way, shape or form to get myself prepared to compete, whatever the situation may be.

"I'm not done playing football, I'm just not starting this week. That's my attitude."
Henderson feels he's been playing at about 85 percent since having his knee scoped nearly six weeks ago.

"Coming back from injury and saying I'm stable enough or strong enough is one thing, but that extra explosiveness as a power blocker, it's different," he said. "It's a different amount of rehab and a different amount of responsibility for this knee."

Green downgraded
Running back Ahman Green was downgraded from probable to questionable for this week after he tweaked his hamstring in practice on Friday.

Green played with a tender hamstring last week, but McCarthy said this injury is his other hamstring.

"I'm hopeful he's going to play, just based on the information we have," McCarthy said. "But it's just part of our game. We have to get Mo and Noah ready to go."

'Mo' is backup Vernand Morency, whom McCarthy plans to work into the early downs, with Noah Herron on third downs. Both will play regardless of Green's health, but their overall workload will depend on Green.

"You're a professional, this is your job, and you have to prepare as if you're the starter," Morency said. "You never know at any particular moment something might happen."

Morency has been getting more comfortable with the offense and could be primed to up his contributions. Acquired in Week 2 in a trade, Morency was named the Packers' special teams player of the week against Detroit.

Status quo, with Spitz perhaps ready to go
McCarthy said the starting offensive guards Monday would be Daryn Colledge on the left side and Tony Moll on the right, as has been the case the past two games. Jason Spitz, out since the season opener with a bruised thigh, could be healthy enough to suit up.

Depending on Spitz's availability, McCarthy said he would either be a primary backup, or he could get a few snaps at guard as part of a rotation. If so, Monday night's game would be a key part of the competition among all three rookies for the starting guard positions. Spitz has taken snaps at both right and left guard in practice this week.

"You have another football game to evaluate your players, and that's always the best information," McCarthy said.

Pickett iffy
Upgraded on Friday from doubtful to questionable with his sore ankle, starting defensive tackle Ryan Pickett fully participated in practice on Saturday. But he said the ankle, though feeling better than on Friday, was still quite sore.

"I'm not moving as well as I can or I'm used to moving," he said. "It's coming along, I just wish it would speed up so I can get ready for Monday."

It appears as though his availability will be a game-time decision, and a key one for the defense, as Pickett has been the most consistent interior defensive lineman this season and the Packers are facing the league's top-ranked offense in Philadephia.

"Coach said they're going to try me out Monday before the game and see how it feels," he said. "If it feels good, he's going to let me go. If not, he's going to sit me out."

BananaMan
09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Here's hoping that Henderson can bounce back. I'd rather he get the starts but Miree the bigger workload, because Henderson has deserved it and can still be a good player, especially in the passing game.

BooHoo
09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
WOW! Two new folks at FB and HB. And with our OLine.

There has to be a silverlining in this somewhere. Maybe one of the new guys will have a Gado kind of evening and run for tons of yards.

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Holy crap!! I was so wrong.

SD GB fan
09-30-2006, 10:55 PM
isnt it usually a bad sign for the team when someone gets cut, gets on the PS, gets on roster, and gets the starting position in one week?

even gado spend some time on roster before injuries forced him into action.

MJZiggy
09-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Doesn't the article say that Henderson is still recovering from surgery?

"I'm not done playing football, I'm just not starting this week. That's my attitude."
Henderson feels he's been playing at about 85 percent since having his knee scoped nearly six weeks ago.

"Coming back from injury and saying I'm stable enough or strong enough is one thing, but that extra explosiveness as a power blocker, it's different," he said. "It's a different amount of rehab and a different amount of responsibility for this knee."

mraynrand
09-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Hendo was looking pretty slow jogging in pre-game warm-ups at Deroit. Now, he could busta move, but blocking? - uh, no.

CyclonePackFan
09-30-2006, 11:11 PM
isnt it usually a bad sign for the team when someone gets cut, gets on the PS, gets on roster, and gets the starting position in one week?

even gado spend some time on roster before injuries forced him into action.

I think that FB is a little easier of a position to master than RB. Really, Miree knows the system, and all he's really gonna be asked to do is go to the hole and destroy anything that's wearing green, maybe a little pass-pro here and there. RB has a lot more responsibilities, not only on pass routes, but on protection.

However, I do anxiously await Henderson's return to the starting lineup. He and Brett are the last two links to the SB team.

mraynrand
09-30-2006, 11:12 PM
As a fan of classic Trek, I heard this new fullback was starting, and I couldn't help but think....

http://memory-alpha.org/en/images/thumb/b/b1/Miri_person.jpg/200px-Miri_person.jpg

oregonpackfan
09-30-2006, 11:32 PM
It's really frightening to have two new backs start against a tough team like the Eagles.

OPF

outflow
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Just for Week 3 against the Lions.

Ahman Green had 30 touches.
" " 8 looks.

For as much promise I've heard about Morency, I can't believe he knows enough about this offense to have that kind of confidence from Favre. I'm thinking this game is going to look similiar to week 2, extremely pass heavy. The TE's better show up ready to play because they are going to be looked at for the underneath stuff.

The one good thing about all of this... the offense could water down to the basic run plays of the offense to help Morency. Letting the O-line relax and worry about pass-blocking and the basic run calls. My offensive gameplan would work Morency like a horse.

Fritz
10-01-2006, 10:21 AM
mraynrand, was that pic Brandon Miree? If so, he's looking kind of cute.

Maybe I'm gay. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Star Trek to get the picture. Or maybe both.

I'm so confused...

KYPack
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Just got back from the engine room, men,

Both engines are smoking.

Colin Cole was the starting RDT in game 1
He doesnt dress for game 3.
A guy is elevated fromn the practice squad and is the fucking STARTING FB? IN THE SAME WEEK? No.

This is a critical week. If it gets worse, we could start to come apart at the seams. We have no depth so there aren't many alternatives.

run pMc
10-01-2006, 01:43 PM
If Ahman Green is out, GB has no chance unless McNabb goes out with an injury.
Starting a new HB & FB is a scary proposition in a non-exhibition game...especially with the OLine being what it is.

Scott Campbell
10-01-2006, 02:00 PM
As a fan of classic Trek, I heard this new fullback was starting, and I couldn't help but think....

http://memory-alpha.org/en/images/thumb/b/b1/Miri_person.jpg/200px-Miri_person.jpg

I figured you for more of a Mr. Spock type guy.

Scott Campbell
10-01-2006, 02:02 PM
mraynrand, was that pic Brandon Miree? If so, he's looking kind of cute.

Maybe I'm gay. Or maybe I just don't know enough about Star Trek to get the picture. Or maybe both.

I'm so confused...

Are you getting a little too old to be conflicted about your sexuality?

falco
10-01-2006, 02:08 PM
If packers have any chance to win monday, Brett Favre has to have a superb game, and we have to have better coaching. As a matter of fact, if we are to do anything the rest of the year, we are going to need to outcoach a lot of our opponents.

BooHoo
10-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Just hoping it's not a blow out.

Rastak
10-01-2006, 07:00 PM

I figured you for more of a Mr. Spock type guy.

Funny thing is Kirk would go for anything that moved and wore a skirt.....
I remember that episode (yea, yea, I know...nerd nerd nerd) and I laughed out loud when Kirk gave the little kid the "eye". I was like, damn, have you no shame? I know it was the typical Shatner overact...but I actually liked Shatner in Star Trek....

mmmdk
10-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Starting a new HB & FB is a scary proposition in a non-exhibition game...especially with the OLine being what it is.

It's not the good'ole Green we're seeing but I tend to agree; with a new HB & FB it's gonna be even harder just to get close to a win.

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM

It's not the good'ole Green we're seeing but I tend to agree; with a new HB & FB it's gonna be even harder just to get close to a win.

I'm not so sure. I have a feeling that if the new duo doesn't perform well early in the game, they may end up abandoning the run sooner than they might normally (which would be never). Maybe this is the game where they need to set up the run with the pass.

Tarlam!
10-02-2006, 03:12 AM
It all comes down to the O-line developing the crease and the RB cutting back into it.

If we leave the Philly defenders on their feet, we won't gain rushing yardage. So basically, our OT's need to embrace and execute the cut blocks at last, which they have not been doing till this point.

I think the middle of our O-line has almost gotten it, it's the exterior that concerns me....

Fritz
10-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Supposedly the o line gets better every week. So let's hope for some improvement. They're gonna need to run so the Eagles can't tee off on Favre.

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Posted October 3, 2006

Morency's talent proves raw

Running back shows spark, but mistakes negate gains

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

PHILADELPHIA — The Green Bay Packers found a running back with some explosiveness, but in the end, a couple of blunders left them wondering whether Vernand Morency can be a suitable replacement for banged-up starter Ahman Green.

Morency, who was acquired from the Houston Texans in the Sept. 13 trade for running back Samkon Gado, made his first start for the Packers because of injuries to Green's hamstrings.

Morency showed some burst, found some holes and looked quicker than Green did in the first three games of the season.

He finished a yard short of the 100-yard mark, but he made a couple of major mistakes that contributed to the Packers' 31-9 loss to the Eagles on Monday at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I thought we did some better things running the football," Packers right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "But we're still not where we need to be."

Whatever production Morency provided, his miscues might be hard for the Packers to overlook.

In the second quarter, he practically handed the Eagles a touchdown when he botched a handoff on second-and-9 from the Packers' 9-yard line. Though the fumble was officially credited to quarterback Brett Favre, it was Morency's mistake because he mishandled the exchange on what should have been a routine handoff.

"I just closed by pocket a little too soon," Morency said. "I saw a hole and tried to move before I had the ball."

The Eagles recovered, and two plays later, scored the game's first touchdown.

Then, with the game within reach in the third quarter, Morency couldn't catch a dump-off pass from Favre. Though the pass was thrown hard, it was catchable. It hit Morency in the hands and chest, bounced into the air and was intercepted by Eagles defensive tackle LaJaun Ramsey. Two plays later, the Eagles scored to go ahead 24-9.

"I was chip blocking and once I blocked, I turned my head and the ball was up on me already," Morency said.

Morency would have posted a 100-yard day had he not been stuffed for no gain on three straight carries from the Eagles' 1-yard line in the game's final minute-and-a-half. Instead, Morency finished with 99 yards on 26 carries, a 3.8-yard average, and the Packers were held without a touchdown for the second time this season.

"That was definitely disappointing," Morency said. "You want to leave here with a touchdown and something to build on. We didn't get that, so it's definitely frustrating."

Morency learned he would get the start when he arrived at the stadium a few hours before the game. Green said he worked out Monday afternoon but couldn't go. He didn't know his availability for Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams at Lambeau Field.

In addition to Morency, the Packers were training a new fullback.

Brandon Miree, who was elevated from the practice squad on Tuesday, replaced declining veteran William Henderson and appeared to block well.

"I thought we ran the ball fairly decent," Miree said.

"There were some opportunities for big plays that we probably didn't capitalize on. Then, we got behind a little bit, and it was a tough situation."

If Green can't go Sunday against the Rams, the Packers have little choice but to stick with Morency.

The only other running back on their roster, Noah Herron, probably isn't suited to handle a 26-carry workload like Morency got against the Eagles.

First, Morency will have to address his mistakes.

"There's definitely a lot to improve on," Morency said. "Every day it's a learning experience. At least now I've got some film to look at and improve on."

vince
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Posted October 3, 2006

Morency's talent proves raw

Running back shows spark, but mistakes negate gains

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

PHILADELPHIA — The Green Bay Packers found a running back with some explosiveness, but in the end, a couple of blunders left them wondering whether Vernand Morency can be a suitable replacement for banged-up starter Ahman Green.

Morency, who was acquired from the Houston Texans in the Sept. 13 trade for running back Samkon Gado, made his first start for the Packers because of injuries to Green's hamstrings.

Morency showed some burst, found some holes and looked quicker than Green did in the first three games of the season.

He finished a yard short of the 100-yard mark, but he made a couple of major mistakes that contributed to the Packers' 31-9 loss to the Eagles on Monday at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I thought we did some better things running the football," Packers right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "But we're still not where we need to be."

Whatever production Morency provided, his miscues might be hard for the Packers to overlook.

In the second quarter, he practically handed the Eagles a touchdown when he botched a handoff on second-and-9 from the Packers' 9-yard line. Though the fumble was officially credited to quarterback Brett Favre, it was Morency's mistake because he mishandled the exchange on what should have been a routine handoff.

"I just closed by pocket a little too soon," Morency said. "I saw a hole and tried to move before I had the ball."

The Eagles recovered, and two plays later, scored the game's first touchdown.

Then, with the game within reach in the third quarter, Morency couldn't catch a dump-off pass from Favre. Though the pass was thrown hard, it was catchable. It hit Morency in the hands and chest, bounced into the air and was intercepted by Eagles defensive tackle LaJaun Ramsey. Two plays later, the Eagles scored to go ahead 24-9.

"I was chip blocking and once I blocked, I turned my head and the ball was up on me already," Morency said.

Morency would have posted a 100-yard day had he not been stuffed for no gain on three straight carries from the Eagles' 1-yard line in the game's final minute-and-a-half. Instead, Morency finished with 99 yards on 26 carries, a 3.8-yard average, and the Packers were held without a touchdown for the second time this season.

"That was definitely disappointing," Morency said. "You want to leave here with a touchdown and something to build on. We didn't get that, so it's definitely frustrating."

Morency learned he would get the start when he arrived at the stadium a few hours before the game. Green said he worked out Monday afternoon but couldn't go. He didn't know his availability for Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams at Lambeau Field.

In addition to Morency, the Packers were training a new fullback.

Brandon Miree, who was elevated from the practice squad on Tuesday, replaced declining veteran William Henderson and appeared to block well.

"I thought we ran the ball fairly decent," Miree said.

"There were some opportunities for big plays that we probably didn't capitalize on. Then, we got behind a little bit, and it was a tough situation."

If Green can't go Sunday against the Rams, the Packers have little choice but to stick with Morency.

The only other running back on their roster, Noah Herron, probably isn't suited to handle a 26-carry workload like Morency got against the Eagles.

First, Morency will have to address his mistakes.

"There's definitely a lot to improve on," Morency said. "Every day it's a learning experience. At least now I've got some film to look at and improve on."

Morency helped give the running game a shot in the arm. Timing was a little off yet, which led to both costly errors, but his production could be the beginning of the end for Ahman Green. Ahman is showing no signs of getting - and staying - healthy. Further, his performance needs to improve, and he's on the wrong side of his career to expect too much in that area.

Miree also was a definite improvement in the ZBS.

mission
10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
i thought both backs looked good last night if you take away the fumble and the interception, which are obviously big mistakes to just "take away". morency had a spark, didnt wanna go down on the first hit and reminded me of those old denver backs who made the cut and ran hard. nothing flashy but you could see the spark...

poor miree kept getting pounded on that 1 yard flat safety route they kept running. i almost chuckled a little bit after the third one.

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 10:26 AM
The Green Bay Packers found a running back with some explosiveness, but in the end, a couple of blunders left them wondering whether Vernand Morency can be a suitable replacement for banged-up starter Ahman Green.

Wonder what his source is for this statement...