PDA

View Full Version : Your First Music Purchase

superfan
10-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Killing time with coworkers recently, we discussed how so much music now is copied/downloaded, and we diverged to reminiscing about our first music purchases. Everyone in the discussion remembered their first purchase, and I thought it would be a fun topic here.

I'll get it started.

My first purchase was two 45 RPM singles -- Mr. Roboto by Styx, and Rock You Like a Hurricane by the Scorpions.

Still have them somewhere, but I have nothing that can play them. :smile:

First two full length albums (cassettes, actually) -- Van Halen, 1984 and Michael Jackson, Thriller. Ah, the memories.

Partial
10-01-2006, 12:37 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

It was like 1993 I think.. maybe... I really have no idea!

MadtownPacker
10-01-2006, 01:41 AM
It was MJ's Thriller, it was a bootleg cassette with a bootleg cover and it was at the swapmeet. Does that still count? :oops:

the_idle_threat
10-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Quiet Riot, Metal Health (on cassette).

It was maybe 1985 or 1986, and I was less than 10 years old. I had no idea who they were or what I was buying. In hindsight, it was a pretty entertaining choice, though. The second-to-last track contained the lyric, "wanna kiss your lips, not the ones on your face ..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

jack's smirking revenge
10-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Megadeth's Peace Sells (But Who's Buying?). Up to that point, I borrowed a lot of music from friends.

tyler

Tarlam!
10-01-2006, 08:52 AM
First cassette was a compilation of Suzi Quattro. First vinyl was by The Sweet (U.K. Band) and another by Sherbet (Aussie Band that had a different name in your part of the world. They were called Highway due to the clash with popular sweet).

I was 10 years old...

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Queen. A Day at the Races.

K-town
10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Styx. Crystal Ball
:oops:

ahaha
10-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Disco Disney. Lame, I know, but I was only 5. The first album I actually bought with my own money was Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms". My brother and I used to play air guitar to "Money for Nothing" and we'd jump on the bed during the opening creshendo and fly off it when it peaks with the opening riff.

Zool
10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Ugg...since we're being honest..

Dokken Tooth and Nail on cassette.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I started out with Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson records. I was born a poor black child.

BallHawk
10-01-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/realm/1477/pop/nsync/nsync.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
First 45 was Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder in 1976. Played that thing like there was no tommorow in the basement.

Never had any clue who Sir Duke was, but I was only 11. :oops:

Oscar
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
38 Special Wild-Eyed Southern Boys... On an 8-Track.. Boy, those were the days.. :smile:

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh man, Jeffro. That's a good one. My first 45 was Hang On Sloopy. I don't even know who gave it to me. I just remember playing it.

Badgepack
10-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I think it was Ted Nugent by Ted Nugent, great album.

Rastak
10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Deep Purple Made in Japan back in 7th grade.

Rastak
10-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I think it was Ted Nugent by Ted Nugent, great album.

Yes it was.

If we count 45's being given to you.....Jan and Dean little cobra and some tune by Spooky Tooth.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I think it was "American Fool" by John Cougar.

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Great thread, Superfan.

red
10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
i have no clue what my first purchase was

but i think my first cd was please hammer don't hurt em.

oregonpackfan
10-02-2006, 12:07 AM
First LP was American Beauty by The Grateful Dead.

OPF

woodbuck27
10-02-2006, 03:41 AM
It was a 45 RPM single entitled Beep Beep (about 1957) by whom would entice some research that may be fruitless. :mrgreen:

Iron Mike
10-02-2006, 07:19 AM
The first 45 I bought was this one:

http://www.boysoloist.com/albumimages/3972_defranco-heartbeat.jpg

My Mom made me buy it to replace the one my Sister had that I smashed the hell out of 'cuz she played it ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!!!! :evil:

GBRulz
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
My first full length album was on cassette....it was Duran Duran "Seven & the Ragged Tiger"

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000002U8A.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115758753_.jpg

GBRulz
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
which was immediately followed up with another purchase of MJ's "Thriller". I loved MJ when he was black!!

oregonpackfan
10-02-2006, 09:46 AM
which was immediately followed up with another purchase of MJ's "Thriller". I loved MJ when he was black!!

LOL!

GBRulz,

Maybe MJ will have an epiphany and rediscover his "Roots" someday!

OPF

Freak Out
10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
The Monkees and then the Archies Jingle jangle....Zappa came a short time later.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 01:07 AM

OPF

Tyrone strolled to many a dead show wit my many hoes. Tyrone loves that white freaky hippy p*ssy. Tyrone prefers crack over acid.

Often, after a 3 day crack binge or when i've had to stab somebody, Tyrone will fall into a gentle state of melancholy, meditating on what it all means. Tyrone likes to listen to a Box of Rain at these times.

superfan
10-06-2006, 01:54 AM

OPF

Tyrone strolled to many a dead show wit my many hoes. Tyrone loves that white freaky hippy p*ssy. Tyrone prefers crack over acid.

Often, after a 3 day crack binge or when i've had to stab somebody, Tyrone will fall into a gentle state of melancholy, meditating on what it all means. Tyrone likes to listen to a Box of Rain at these times.

Tyrone is starting to sound like the ghetto Bizarro version of the SkinBasket. :cool:

Great posts, everyone. Woodbuck, I think I know the song you are talking about -- something about a Caddy and some other car racing? I have vague memories of my parents listening to that -- it was before my time.

the_idle_threat
10-06-2006, 02:12 AM

OPF

A live version of "Box of Rain" was playing in the background at the bar the other day, and sweet Christ, they're singing the refrain and do you think they can find the notes? Can they even come close? Negative. It was very hard to listen to.

I like American Beauty, but Workingman's is better IMO.

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 02:14 AM
The first 45 I bought was this one:

http://www.boysoloist.com/albumimages/3972_defranco-heartbeat.jpg

My Mom made me buy it to replace the one my Sister had that I smashed the hell out of 'cuz she played it ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!!!! :evil:

Now those were the days!! :mrgreen:

Sisters....

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 02:36 AM

OPF

My first LP:

The Rolling Stones "Out Of Our Heads" - 1965

If you enjoy Classic ROCK Music? Check this site out:

http://www.classic-rock-legends-start-here.com/index.html

chewy-bacca
10-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Beastie Boys Licence to ill. 85 I think.

chewy-bacca
10-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Woodbuck, I think I know the song you are talking about -- something about a Caddy and some other car racing?

the other car was trying to get the other driver to tell him how to get the car out of 2nd gear. :lol:

Rastak
10-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Woodbuck, I think I know the song you are talking about -- something about a Caddy and some other car racing?

the other car was trying to get the other driver to tell him how to get the car out of 2nd gear. :lol:

LOL, I remember that song...."hey buddy how do you get this car out of second gear!"

BEARMAN
10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
1977, Eagles "Hotel California" on 8 track ! :shock:

GO BEARS !

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 07:14 AM
" Woodbuck, I think I know the song you are talking about -- something about a Caddy and some other car racing? I have vague memories of my parents listening to that -- it was before my time." Superfan

That's amazing that you would have that in your memory bank Superfan. WOW !

Your right on it !

I'd like to find out more about that particular release. I have amongst my hobbies "a certain love for excellent music". That 45 RPM really began it all for me as I grew to become a collector of music.

This particular 45 rpm release called (I believe... Beep Beep )is corny, but somehow I realize that it's important to me to at least know who made that recording etc. :mrgreen:

Ahhh.... the will of man and time misspent.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
" Tyrone is starting to sound like the ghetto Bizarro version of the SkinBasket. " superfan

Tyrone.

He's da maan wit the pipe.

:idea: Mr. Bigguns is to me... " a pseudo - urban ghetto life Master " .

Tyrone Bigguns is definitely "da Maan" ...

Now that would be... Mr. Bigguns ... to ALL here who are blessed with his philosophical and psychological takes on anything worthy of his time.

Mr. Bigguns, epitomizes the challenge to possibly some members here and to people elsewhere...

a challenge ... that must incorporate or usher in jealous restrant, because they wish they could be ... Sooooo COOL. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 09:17 AM

It's about 50 years since I've heard that song but it certainly was fun to listen to.

I recall it (that purchase) so clearly and I went all the way uptown to William Goldsteins Music store in Saint John,New Brunswick and sat in a private booth to listen to it to ensure my purchase.

Back then the 45's came in a brown paper sleeve with BLACK India Ink for the printing. That 45 is likely a collectable .

Iron Mike
10-11-2006, 09:21 AM
The Playmates, "Beep Beep"

(chorus)
Beep beep (sound of horn - beep beep!)
Beep beep (beep beep)
His horn went beep beep beep (beep beep)
While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one-third my size
The guy must have wanted to pass me out
As he kept on tooting his horn (beep beep)
I'll show him that a Cadillac
Is not a car to scorn

(chorus)

I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He must have thought his car had more guts
Is not a car to scorn

(chorus)

My car went in to passing gear
And we took off with gust
And soon we were doing ninety
Must have left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little Nash Rambler was right behind
You'd think that guy could fly
(beep beep)
Now we're doing a hundred and ten
It certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
As he kept on tooting his horn
Is not a car to scorn

(beep beep)

Now we're doing a hundred and twenty
As fast as I could go
The Rambler pulled alongside of me
As if we were going slow
The fellow rolled his window down
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy how can I get this car
out...
of...
second
gear!"

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
The Playmates, "Beep Beep"

(chorus)
Beep beep (sound of horn - beep beep!)
Beep beep (beep beep)
His horn went beep beep beep (beep beep)
While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one-third my size
Is not a car to scorn

(chorus)

I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He must have thought his car had more guts
Is not a car to scorn

(chorus)

My car went in to passing gear
And we took off with gust
And soon we were doing ninety
Must have left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little Nash Rambler was right behind
You'd think that guy could fly
(beep beep)
Now we're doing a hundred and ten
It certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
As he kept on tooting his horn
Is not a car to scorn

(beep beep)

Now we're doing a hundred and twenty
As fast as I could go
The Rambler pulled alongside of me
As if we were going slow
The fellow rolled his window down
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy how can I get this car
out...
of...
second
gear!"

:mrgreen: WOW, Excellent find.

Beep Beep by The Playmates... Thanks a bunch Iron Mike.

:mrgreen: