PDA

View Full Version : What might have been - Terrence Murphy

Patler
10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Great article on Terrence Murphy in the GB Press Gazette:

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061001/PKR01/610010634/1989

6-foot-1, 196-pounds, 4.3 sec. 40 yd dash, 41" vertical jump.

"He was a great kid. He was going to be a really good player in this league," Packers receiver Donald Driver said. "He had a ton of potential."

Sounds like he has his head on straight, anyway. Reminds me of Tim Lewis when he was injured. Appreciative of coming out as well as he did, and ready to move on to a new stage of his life.

Patler
10-01-2006, 10:05 AM
How come my link in the first message is not the vivid green other active links are? It is active, however, for me anyway

Fritz
10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I know it's futile to think about what might have been, but it does make you wonder, anyway, what the Packer receiving corps might have looked like had the guy not got hurt. He looked like he might have developed into a good west coast offense guy, and with him, Jennings, and Driver, you'd have had perhaps a solid group.

If nothing else, it might make you possibly judge TT's first draft slightly differently.

Tarlam!
10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
The link works Patler. I read the story and now I miss him even more. I guess if he didn't get injured, we may not have picked jennings.

But just think if we had a healthy T-Murph AND our healthy Jennings. What a future at WR, especially since they would be learning the trade from an ultimate pro - DD!

Patler
10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I know it's futile to think about what might have been, but it does make you wonder, anyway, what the Packer receiving corps might have looked like had the guy not got hurt. He looked like he might have developed into a good west coast offense guy, and with him, Jennings, and Driver, you'd have had perhaps a solid group.

If nothing else, it might make you possibly judge TT's first draft slightly differently.

The domino effect comes into play. Had Murphy not been injured, TT may not have drafted Jennings. Jennings could have a great future, but with Murphy could TT have strengthened another position? Who knows?

The loss of Murphy to injury is like the failures of Reynolds, Thomas, Peterson, Washington, etc. Missed opportunities for the team to improve. One less quality player on the roster.

mmmdk
10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Aaron Rodgers can still save the 2005 draft disaster. Murphy was looking good and I feel for him but as TT says: it's a violent sport. TT is not to blame for a career ending injury. The rest of the 2005 is a horror, we can't blame Shermy for that one. Nick Collins is a nice prospect but he can't cover sh!t. Collins lays the wood though and he probably still will be a solid NFL starter - just not at a probowl level. The latter is not a given, just a hunch of mine and Collins could still be a dandy probowl player in the future.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-01-2006, 10:30 AM
The kicker is that he was talented and he really enjoyed playing in a small city like GB, players like him don't come to often. I really feel sorry for him and I wish him all the best. I hope somewhere down the line he gets a job with the packers.

Patler
10-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Aaron Rodgers can still save the 2005 draft disaster. Murphy was looking good and I feel for him but as TT says: it's a violent sport. TT is not to blame for a career ending injury. The rest of the 2005 is a horror, we can't blame Shermy for that one.

I'm not sure you can call 2005 a horror at this point. Underwood and Poppinga still have potential to be contributors. Coston and Montgomery could have roles for a few more years. With Rodgers and Murphy it covers his top 6 picks, through his first pick in Round 5 (Coston). Anyone after that was a pretty long shot from the start.

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM
What a great kid. He'll be back in the NFL (just not in cleats). I think he'd have made a great coach somewhere.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2006, 11:16 AM
I like to think that TT would still have drafted Jennings since jtalk was traded. I also like to think that under DD's teaching they both would have become the WR tandem for the next 5 years at least.

Yes Patler, you bastard, I can only think of what might have been. :cry:

Zool
10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
How come my link in the first message is not the vivid green other active links are? It is active, however, for me anyway

Because your browser knows you've already been there. Its in your internet history. Link's youve never been to show up as green.