PDA

View Full Version : SUMMERFEST 2006

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
All right, now who's headed to Brew City for the Big Gig this year?

Rastak had mentioned that he and the missus were making the trip. Only about ten weeks away, so time to start planning!

Just announced today - co-headliners Pearl Jam and Tom Petty will open up the first TWO shows at the Marcus Amphitheater. This is practically my dream concert...I am so there. June 29-30.

Other headliners already announced include:

Mary J. Blige, with Ne-Yo (July 3)
Nine Inch Nails - Live: with teeth 2006 tour (July 2)
Alan Jackson, with Carrie Underwood (July 8)

The rest of the headliners - along with the lineup for each of the 10 grounds stages - will be announced in the coming weeks.

These artists are officially signed to perform at Summerfest 2006: The Bravery, Chris Brown, Ryan Cabrera, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello and The Imposters featuring Allen Toussaint, Los Lonely Boys, Medeski Martin & Wood, Phil Vassar, Yellowcard and The Temptations Review featuring Dennis Edwards.

Visit www.summerfest.com for the latest info.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Not fair!! I wanna go but have to be there in May and don't think I'll be able to swing two trips this summer.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
No Coldplay? Oh well...

hurleyfan
04-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see Sheryl Crow get a shot! She's awsome!

FavreChild
04-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Here's one for you, GBM.

Nickelback - with Hoobastank and Chevelle: July 5

The festival also released the names of some of the high-profile acts that will perform on grounds stages. They include rising country star Dierks Bentley, pop rock favorites Train, classic rocker Ray Davies, the critically respected rapper Common, and R&B stylist Anthony Hamilton. Other acts announced Thursday are Victor Manuelle, Panic! At the Disco, REO Speedwagon and My Morning Jacket.

MJZiggy
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Now I'm really jealous. I miss summerfest. At least I'll be there just in time to hear everyone whining about the draft choices.

FavreChild
04-21-2006, 09:26 AM
I also forgot to post Kenny Chesney - July 4.

Probably because I couldn't care less. :wink:

Summerfest is just the greatest time of year, especially when the weather's good like last year. My only critique is that they don't really have much urban appeal...

For the most part, there is "something for everyone," though, and you can find some great stuff on the grounds stages.

If you like reggae, check out King Solomon. I'm sure they'll be there. (That's for you, billy oliver and rastak.) :wink:

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Pretty crappy headliners if you ask me. How about getting Jimmy Buffett?

I might go one day this year, but I really can't stand that fucking place and the dirty people that attend.

Joemailman
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Who cares about headliners? The more interesting artists are at the smaller stages. Lucinda Williams was great last year.

GrnBay007
04-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Who cares about headliners? The more interesting artists are at the smaller stages. Lucinda Williams was great last year.

Welcome to the forum Joe!! Glad you made it.

Little Whiskey
04-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Pretty crappy headliners if you ask me. How about getting Jimmy Buffett?

I might go one day this year, but I really can't stand that fucking place and the dirty people that attend.

you have to admitt, the people watching at summerfest is the best around. you get all walks of life down there, mix in a ton of alcohol, all day in the sun, and a bit of music and you get some interesting folks.

Rastak
04-25-2006, 06:25 AM
I'm still going to try and make it........wveryone says it a great time.

Is it difficult to get hotel rooms downtown?

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Rastak, you shouldn't have a problem getting a downtown hotel, unless you wait 'til the week before the event. Nobody's made their reservations yet, 'cause certainly they're waiting to see the complete schedule. Most hotels even offer Summerfest packages - might even throw in free general admission tickets. And there's shuttle service from downtown to the gates. Couldn't be easier!

Try these links if you want:

http://milwaukee.about.com/cs/hotels/a/downtownhotels.htm

http://www.summerfest.com/summerfestinfo/faqs.htm#hotels

http://www.gothotel.com/milwaukee_summerfest.html

Rastak
04-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Rastak, you shouldn't have a problem getting a downtown hotel, unless you wait 'til the week before the event. Nobody's made their reservations yet, 'cause certainly they're waiting to see the complete schedule. Most hotels even offer Summerfest packages - might even throw in free general admission tickets. And there's shuttle service from downtown to the gates. Couldn't be easier!

Try these links if you want:

http://milwaukee.about.com/cs/hotels/a/downtownhotels.htm

http://www.summerfest.com/summerfestinfo/faqs.htm#hotels

http://www.gothotel.com/milwaukee_summerfest.html

Thanks!

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Is anyone coming down to Brew City for The Big Gig this week?

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Rastak???

Partial
06-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I will be going to see Mike Doughty on Wednesday night, and the Gufs this upcoming saturday. There are quite a few good bands there, but I simply cannot afford the 15 dollars, 5 dollars bus fair, plus 5 dollars food more than once or twice.

GrnBay007
06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I will be going to see Mike Doughty on Wednesday night, and the Gufs this upcoming saturday. There are quite a few good bands there, but I simply cannot afford the 15 dollars, 5 dollars bus fair, plus 5 dollars food more than once or twice.

Better ask Mad for a raise. :wink:

-

Partial
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
haha!

Here's a tip for all the big gig goers, check out Saz's combo platter! It's pretty much a heart attack on a plate, but boy is it ever good!!

HarveyWallbangers
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I will be going to see Mike Doughty on Wednesday night

Seems like one crazy bastard, but he's talented.

"I met a girl on roller skates
She had a spare bag, she had lost some weight
Where I used to work, she was a waitress
She proposed a trade, it was generous
She's gone to Houston, feel like I'm floating in a warm sea
And if she finds out when she comes back, I know that she will leave me
Oh I heard a sign, it was a dull crack
It was a clock hand, it was snapping back
Oh it wasn't her's, it was the dope's kiss
I'll take the blame upon my shoulder, I just love to feel like this
Roller Boogie, motherfucker"

Partial
06-27-2006, 11:26 PM
i've never heard that song. The first album i've heard from him was haughty melodic, and that is a masterpiece. At first it is very pop-sounding and cheery but when you really listen to the lyrics its seems to be about suffering. It's a really great album!!

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Be sure to check out the promotions - you can save a dolla or two on admission. Paying full admission to Summerfest is for suckers. :wink:

Of course you get free admission with your ticket to the main amphitheater - which is also a huge sucker rip-off, since tix are sold by TicketSlave.

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
But as long as the weather holds, I will be at the Big Gig often.

Ya know, in case anyone wants to buy me a beer - hint, hint, to the minnesota man. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
i've never heard that song. The first album i've heard from him was haughty melodic, and that is a masterpiece. At first it is very pop-sounding and cheery but when you really listen to the lyrics its seems to be about suffering. It's a really great album!!

It's a great song called Houston off of Soul Coughing's signature album, El Oso. If you like Doughty, you'd probably like that album--although I can't be sure because I was a Soul Coughing fan first. Doughty's music is all about suffering.

Partial
06-27-2006, 11:48 PM
I just read up on some of his other albums on wikipedia. I am going to see if I can find some to download tonight while I sleep. Thanks for the tip Harv!!

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 07:23 AM
haha!

Here's a tip for all the big gig goers, check out Saz's combo platter! It's pretty much a heart attack on a plate, but boy is it ever good!!

I'd eat baked fish and spinach salad for a week to get that!!

Badgepack
06-28-2006, 08:31 AM
We get to Wisconsin this year on July 10th, one day after Summerfest ends.
Bad timing on my part. Maybe next year.

But, if I was going, I'd be checking out some of these bands,

Jackie Green
Kings of Leon
Wrinkle Neck Mules
Yellowcard
My Morning Jacket
Flogging Molly
Wilco
BoDeans(of course)

Damn, now I'm depressed.

Any shows in Madison area that you guys recommend between July 10th and the 20th?

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I'd eat baked fish and spinach salad for a week to get that!!

Definitely agree. I'm not one to get giddy over food, but I must say I look forward to this every year.

What acts are you guys excited to see?

jack's smirking revenge
06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
The band (GingerJake) opening for my band's CD release party is opening for P.O.D. on July 7. Complicated statement, I know. Nonetheless, they're a local TC band. You should check them out. A very talented band (with a supahot lead singer).

tyler

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
You have no idea how cool Summerfest is. I miss it tremendously.

The Seattle area blows for outdoor concerts and festivals because of their super conservative alcohol laws. (Yeah - I thought the northwest was supposed to be a liberal area - ha!) You have to physically stay in the beer garden to consume your beverage, they stop serving 1-2 hours before the event is over, and the admission averages $25.00 for anything, sometimes as high as $50.00 just to get in.

I'm not really into any of the acts listed so far (Thanks FC!) but I would go to see Alice Cooper if he has his usuallly graphic stage show, and I would also go to see the Temptations - my Mom was really into them while I was growing up.

Also I'd go check out GingerJake at Jack's Smirking's recommendation.

jack's smirking revenge
06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
You have no idea how cool Summerfest is. I miss it tremendously.

The Seattle area blows for outdoor concerts and festivals because of their super conservative alcohol laws. (Yeah - I thought the northwest was supposed to be a liberal area - ha!) You have to physically stay in the beer garden to consume your beverage, they stop serving 1-2 hours before the event is over, and the admission averages $25.00 for anything, sometimes as high as $50.00 just to get in.

I'm not really into any of the acts listed so far (Thanks FC!) but I would go to see Alice Cooper if he has his usuallly graphic stage show, and I would also go to see the Temptations - my Mom was really into them while I was growing up.

Also I'd go check out GingerJake at Jack's Smirking's recommendation.

Thanks Cap'n. I realize that I was speaking to the male crowd with my recommendation of GingerJake. I liken them to a heavier No Doubt and the lead singer has a darker Gwen Stefani look, growly rock sound. I'm not a fan of P.O.D., per se, but I'd suggest that you check them out if you've got the time. They may end up playing at one of the other stages as well. If they are, you'll be entertained. And, if you're male, you'll most definitely be entertained.... :wink:

Like you, I miss Summerfest. Great place to see shows, drink, and get stupid under the big bridge (it's still on the lakefront under the bridge, isn't it?). The Twin Cities doesn't have anything like Summerfest either. Heck, we can't even get Ozzfest to come here because ticket sales tend to be weak (primarily because of the location--an hour away from the Twin Cities in WI). The rock scene is strong, but we just can't seem to get something rolling like Summerfest. Can't attract the diversity of acts. Don't have a cool, central place to have such an event (DEFINITELY not gonna happen at the inflatible toilet known as the Metrodome).

So, yeah, much praise to Summerfest. Wish I could make it.

tyler

GoPackGo
06-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Ya know, in case anyone wants to buy me a beer - hint, hint, to the minnesota man. :wink:

I hope its so you can immediatly throw it in his face.
but seriously,...i saw Tom Petty at summerfest a couple of years ago. good times.

As a high schooler, i was most excited to go to summerfest because its the first time of the year wisconsin women show any skin

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
As a high schooler, i was most excited to go to summerfest because its the first time of the year wisconsin women show any skin

That's not always a good thing, though. Either way, Summerfest sure is good for people-watching.

I am going to see Tom Petty both nights. I will go see King Solomon (reggae) on Sunday, since one of my cousins works for the band. And other than that, I'll mostly check out some of the blues acts.

the_idle_threat
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
That's not always a good thing, though.

To a turgid high school lad, it's all good!

Little Whiskey
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
I'll be there next Saturday. Hey, FC maybe now you can make me one of your rockstar drinks?? which bar are you tending??

MJZiggy
06-29-2006, 08:54 AM
LW, I thought you were on the wagon???

FavreChild
06-29-2006, 08:55 AM
I thought you said I was supposed to be watching a race on Saturday? Or are you talking about *next* Saturday?

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I will show up at that shitty place when Johnny Cash gets on the Main Stage.

Little Whiskey
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
I thought you said I was supposed to be watching a race on Saturday? Or are you talking about *next* Saturday?

i will be attending NEXT sat, the 8

zig, i am no longer on the wagon. i have succumbed to my addiction and it is only a matter of time before it kills me. i have come to terms with that conclusion and have accepted my fate!!

Nutz, every year CASH plays the mainstage!! why do you think it cost $20 to get in to the damn thing, and $10 for a beer!!

jack's smirking revenge
06-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Maybe Cash will be playing the midnight performance under the moonlight with Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. I'd pay to see that.... Hook it up Whiskey.

tyler

the_idle_threat
07-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Summerfest sure is good for people-watching.

People watching should be more interesting than usual this year ...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=445170

GoPackGo
07-01-2006, 03:43 PM
:arrow: I love me some little people. :neutral:

Here's some Summerfest news...

SATURDAY, July 1, 2006, 11:50 a.m.
By David Doege

45 arrested at Summerfest overnight
Police said they arrested 45 people on a variety of charges overnight at Summerfest.

The 45 were arrested on a total of 49 charges broken down by police as follows: underage drinking, 23; possession of a controlled substance, 8; disorderly conduct, 7; resisting or obstructing an officer, 4; outstanding warrants, 3; furnishing alcohol to a minor, 1; battery, 1; theft, 1; and "other," 1.
--------------------------------------------

I wish they would publish the # of tapped kegs from last night
I tell people(without really knowing 100% positive) that summerfest is the largest beer drinking party in the world

Little Whiskey
07-07-2006, 05:28 PM
okay FC, i will be at summerfest tomorrow. you had better be ready with the Rockstar drink. watch for me, i'll be the guy with the beers in his hands!!

the_idle_threat
07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
okay FC, i will be at summerfest tomorrow. you had better be ready with the Rockstar drink. watch for me, i'll be the guy with the beers in his hands!!

A beer in each hand at Summerfest? That would narrow it down to you and 3000 other guys ... :D

FavreChild
07-08-2006, 08:26 AM
I love the two-fisted slobber. :cool:

Little Whiskey
07-08-2006, 10:19 AM
I love the two-fisted slobber. :cool:

they spend more money?? between drinking them and spilling them!!

FavreChild
07-08-2006, 10:35 AM
But why stop at two beers when the limit is four??

Little Whiskey
07-08-2006, 10:38 AM
4 beers at once = a guarnteed spill!!