PDA

View Full Version : Cooking a whole chicken

Partial
10-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I think I may have undercooked a chicken. I used an oven bag, and stuffed that mofo with some precooked stuffing. I cooked it for an hour and a half at 375. It is a 4 pound chicken.

Is that enough?

Scott Campbell
10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I think I may have undercooked a chicken. I used an oven bag, and stuffed that mofo with some precooked stuffing. I cooked it for an hour and a half at 375. It is a 4 pound chicken.

Is that enough?

Invest in a meat thermometer. Don't screw around with poultry temps.

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 07:16 PM
If you don't have a meat thermometer, (well go get one, but for tonight) check that the juices are clear and that the meat is not at all pink. Better to overcook and have it a bit dry than undercook poultry.

Bretsky
10-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Is that enough?

Should try to bring it to 160 degrees in center. Often I bring it to 150 and then turn the temp down so it just tenders up.

Partial
10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I will have to buy a thermometer. I didn't realize it worked like that. My mom loaded me up with four 4-pound chickens since they were super cheap at Jewel last week. The white meat is very white and the juicest appear clear so I think it is good to go!

red
10-01-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah, you don't want to undercook it

the one and only whole chicken i ever tried to cook ended up undercooked

but i didn't want to admit to myself that i screwed it up

so i ate it

and shit my brains out for a week

Partial
10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
yeah, you don't want to undercook it

the one and only whole chicken i ever tried to cook ended up undercooked

but i didn't want to admit to myself that i screwed it up

so i ate it

and shit my brains out for a week

Uh oh.... Here's hoping that is just not the case!!

MJZiggy
10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Could be worse. I once worked with an idiot who thought all you had to do was heat up raw chicken in the microwave. That was ugly.

Zool
10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
If you can get yourself a grill, i suggest getting the beer can chicken holder. Beer can chicken is extremely good, but I've never heard of anyone trying to make one in an oven.

RashanGary
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I had two undercooked grilled chicken sandwiches at McDonalds. I remeber they tasted kind of raw when I ate them but I was hungry so I ate the whole damn thing. My brain has developed a 6th sense for bad chicken because as soon as I start eating chicken that is not perfectly cooked or overcooked, I get nausiated and cannot eat anymore.

Anyway, I puked for 8 hours strait. Eventually I was just dry heaving but I did that all night. That was the only time I've gotten food poisoning and knew it and boy did I know it.

shudder...Yuck..Don't undercook that shit.

MadtownPacker
10-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Stick a knife in the chicken's back, then roast him over a open fire for all to see. :mrgreen:

BallHawk
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Could be worse. I once worked with an idiot who thought all you had to do was heat up raw chicken in the microwave. That was ugly.

:shock: gag :shock:

Partial
10-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Stick a knife in the chicken's back, then roast him over a open fire for all to see. :mrgreen:

metaphorically or literally?

KYPack
10-02-2006, 10:19 AM

That's Mexican Chicken.

The knife in the back is also know as the "Laredo handshake".

They shake your hand with one arm, while the other one sticks a knife in yer back.

Beer Butt Chicken (fish a more complete recipe off the web to be sure)

Get a cheap can of beer. Rub the chicken down with spices. Try sage, paprika, salt, pepper, & whatever ya like.

Stick the opened can of beer up the chickens ass. (Bretsky's daughter, hide yer eyes).

Medium to high heat over a grill put the bird with the beer in the butt in a shallow pan w/ an inch & half of water (or beer, yer a WI boy) & put the whole deal on the grill. Cover it, ya gotta angle the cover, but you'll figure it out.

Cook for hour & 1/2 or so.

When the juice flows clear out the bottom of the chicken, he's done.

It's the tenderest, juicyest, bird you will ever eat.

I make this for my in-laws in western KY. They think I'm the galloping gourmet, er something.

Zool
10-02-2006, 10:23 AM

That's Mexican Chicken.

The knife in the back is also know as the "Laredo handshake".

They shake your hand with one arm, while the other one sticks a knife in yer back.

Beer Butt Chicken (fish a more complete recipe off the web to be sure)

Get a cheap can of beer. Rub the chicken down with spices. Try sage, paprika, salt, pepper, & whatever ya like.

Stick the opened can of beer up the chickens ass. (Bretsky's daughter, hide yer eyes).

Medium to high heat over a grill put the bird with the beer in the butt in a shallow pan w/ an inch & half of water (or beer, yer a WI boy) & put the whole deal on the grill. Cover it, ya gotta angle the cover, but you'll figure it out.

Cook for hour & 1/2 or so.

When the juice flows clear out the bottom of the chicken, he's done.

It's the tenderest, juicyest, bird you will ever eat.

I make this for my in-laws in western KY. They think I'm the galloping gourmet, er something.This man knows his chicken.

Patler
10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
shudder...Yuck..Don't undercook that shit.

What? No chicken sushi?? :mrgreen:

retailguy
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM

Leave it to you.... Why does this not surprise me? :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks, KY!! you've given me a fantastic idea!!

Patler
10-02-2006, 10:46 AM

You can buy beer can chicken wire stands for a couple bucks at Walmart in the area with barbeque equipment. It has a wide base and a holder for the can. Push the chicken over the can, and it stands on its own in your grill. I always tie the wings and legs in with string. I've cooked as many as three at a time on my grill using these stands.

Another "trick" that works well with this is to take a small potato and "plug" the neck cavity. The steam from the beer stays inside the chicken, permeates the meat and seems to cook even faster and with even more moisture.

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 11:08 AM
What does the potato come out tasing like I wonder...I just had a visual of the steam building up in the chicken and the potato being launched out the top. Sorry. I'm in a mood.

Patler
10-02-2006, 11:19 AM
What does the potato come out tasing like I wonder...I just had a visual of the steam building up in the chicken and the potato being launched out the top. Sorry. I'm in a mood.

Its just a very moist baked or steamed potato.

Interesting visual, launching the potato, but the chicken doesn't become a pressure cooker! The potato just closes off the "chimney" effect, and causes the steam to flow through the bird rather than just straight out the top.

KYPack
10-02-2006, 11:40 AM

You can buy beer can chicken wire stands for a couple bucks at Walmart in the area with barbeque equipment. It has a wide base and a holder for the can. Push the chicken over the can, and it stands on its own in your grill. I always tie the wings and legs in with string. I've cooked as many as three at a time on my grill using these stands.

Another "trick" that works well with this is to take a small potato and "plug" the neck cavity. The steam from the beer stays inside the chicken, permeates the meat and seems to cook even faster and with even more moisture.

Yeah, that rig is cool.

Don't forget to put the whole deal in a pan with an inch of liquid on the bottom.

That also aids in the moisture.

KMart and those place have big foil pans for around a buck.

if you use your regular pans, they are a bitch to clean.

Play around with the rubs.

I forgot cinnamon, sugar and cayenne pepper (be cool with that one)

KYPack
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Zig.

I thought it was me, but it's you.

You've basically lost it.

A potato placed in the neck of a cooking chicken doesn't generate a great deal of muzzle velocity.

Although the Iraqi's did use "cooking chicken potato bullets" in their defense of Bagdhad.

It wasn't very sucessful.

Patler
10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't forget to put the whole deal in a pan with an inch of liquid on the bottom.

I have never actually set the chicken in a pan of liquid, but I always put a cheap disposable pan beneath the chicken, supported on the ceramic briquettes, the grill plates or on a lower rack. It can make a HUGE mess (depending on the bird) if you don't have a "collector" of some sort. I'll try it your way next time KY.

I have used a lot of dry rubs on the chicken, and often first rub it down with a light coating of olive oil before working in the rub.

Tarlam!
10-02-2006, 12:41 PM
That must surely work in an ordinary oven, too?

But tell me, what does the can taste like when it's done??

Patler
10-02-2006, 12:45 PM
That must surely work in an ordinary oven, too?

But tell me, what does the can taste like when it's done??

I see no reason why it wouldn't work in a regular oven.

As for the remaining beer in the can, it is usually a greasy, disgusting mess. I've tried to convince friends of the manliness and honor of drinking it (after its cooled down, of course), but haven't had any takers yet!

BallHawk
10-02-2006, 02:32 PM
That's weird MJ, I had the exact same image. :D

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
See I knew I had fallen over the edge (surprised it took you guys this long to figure it out), but I didn't know you had followed. Welcome to the wonderful world of instability....us= :crazy:

the_idle_threat
10-02-2006, 10:46 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KYPack
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
One last killer "whole chicken" trick.

Take the whole chicken and put it in your cooking bag.

Pour in a whole bottle of store brand (59 cents type) Italian dressing.

marinate the bird in the bag in the fridge all nite (24 hrs is the best.)

The either leave the bird in the bag and cook it for a couple hours at 400 or so

or

Cook it beer butt style on the grill or in the oven like the previous directions

Don't tell people how you season the bird, they'll never guess the trick!

(important safety tip. Use tongs to pull that hot can of beer out of the bird. It stays real hot forever. Guests will always try to grab it for some reason and burn the hell out of themselves!)

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Do you have the "Knorr" brand over there??

KYPack
10-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Do you have the "Knorr" brand over there??

Yeah. That is the best, but hey it $1.59.

I put that stuff on my salad.

This is marinade, so your basically wasting quality dressing by using it.

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I sell that stuff for a living!

Chester Marcol
10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Here's an old family remedy for making sure your fowl is baked. For every pound, put 1/4 cup of store brand* popcorn. When the ass of the bird gets blown out, viola. You're done.

* Don't use Orvil Redenbacher popcorn. That shit is on steroids and pops to soon.

Freak Out
10-06-2006, 05:00 PM

Is that enough?

A bag? You cooked a chicken in a bag? Forget the damn meat thermometer! You need to invest in a roasting pan first off.