PDA

View Full Version : What ESPN Insider has to say about our War Room

K-town
04-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Green Bay Packers
Ted Thompson: Executive vice president/general manager/director of football operations
Mike McCarthy: Head coach
Green Bay has a very unusual front office with a lot of clashing egos and people with big titles. Ted Thompson has absolute power. He is a Ron Wolf disciple and a real football guy, going to workouts, spending time on the road and watching a lot of tape. New head coach Mike McCarthy and his staff will have little input on personnel matters. Thompson is solid and doesn't have a huge ego, but the next tier down in Green Bay has some clashing personalities that cause problems in the chain of command.

This was from an article detailing who runs the draft for each of the AFC and NFC teams. Doesn't paint a very complimentary picture, does it?
We need Wist to chime in on how much he hates our scouting department. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
So which is it? Does Ted Thompson have absolute power or do we have high-powered clashing egos? If he's got absolute power, the second tier must shut up and go with his wishes. As there is also a HEAD coach, I see a pretty clear chain of command forming.

FavreChild
04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that makes no sense.

I think we all know that TT is in charge, though - and the new staff knows it, too.

Bob Harlan is getting ready to exit stage left, but John Jones isn't "the man" yet, either. So what's the clash?

This is clearly being presented with a negative slant - but are they saying it's bad that there's a clash of ego, or that it's problematic that TT is in charge?

Thanks for posting, K-town.

gbpackfan
04-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I have NEVER read one story about the clashing egos in Green Bay. TT has been the man all along and the Packers have pubically stated this. These types of stories are why ESPN has very little credibility and why I will NEVER pay to be an "insider."

beakerman
04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that type of stuff isn't and shouldn't be considered news, more like garbage, the whole article contradicts itself.

billy_oliver880
04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
is this mel kipers work? He is an idiot.

Patler
04-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, that type of stuff isn't and shouldn't be considered news, more like garbage, the whole article contradicts itself.

I heard of clashing egos before, when Sherman would not let coaches express a differing opinion. Ron Wolf said he needed his scouts etc. to challenge each other and even his evaluations, to separate the valid opinons from the invalid ones. Perhaps GB has returned to a time when the football people are not afraid to express their opinions. That is a good thing.

I can't believe MM is butting heads with TT just three months after he was hired. The other coaches could be infighting a bit as they establish the heirarchy of their group. That's to be expected as they settle into their jobs.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 04:13 PM
But how much of that is M3 really going to let them get away with? They can have all the ego they want, but the heirarchy on the team is very clear.

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
But how much of that is M3 really going to let them get away with? They can have all the ego they want, but the heirarchy on the team is very clear.

Agreed. I almost read into the statement from ESPN as the top does have the authority but the mid-tier (M3 and his staff) MAY be having some culture clashing. This is extremely normal when starting with a new staff of any kind (or any group for that matter). You know-- Form, Storm, Norm, Perform. Once M3 establishes himself through mini-camp and training camp, the Pack should be in the 'Norm' mode. After a few Ws over key games, they'd be in 'Perform' mode.

K-town
04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I think what ESPN was getting at was the second tier of management and scouting UNDER Ted Thompson - guys like Reggie McKenzie, John Dorsey, Shaun (?) Herock, etc.
I remember on the old Journal-Sentinel forum Wist43 would always be in a tizzy over what he thought was our less than sterling scouting staff and evaluation process. Whatever happened to Wist anyway?
As far as ego goes, I'd rather have a staff that had more ego and self-conviction, not less. As the saying goes, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall be inherited."

Partial
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Wist and Tex's forces eventually just cancelled eachother out

Patler
04-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Oh, not much. But you have to expect some, that's all I was getting at..

When you put together 20 type A personalities, many of whom are probably extremely competitve (most coaches are), all with different titles, different backgrounds, many not knowing each other, and with the group still developing responsibilities, there is bound to be some sparing. You see it whenever a substantial portion of a high profile group changes. Look at City Councils, County Boards, etc. Even though the leader is known, the new members are trying to establish their turf. The Packers essentially have an entirely new staff and new leader in McCarthy, and the assistant coaches are staking their turf, their relationship with the new boss, etc.

If the scouts are arguing among themselves and with TT over player evaluations, I say GREAT!